The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #376
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

So how's the gardens doing? I'm looking good, strawberries produced well, radish are producing, squash, pole beans and cukes are coming up nicely, green leaf is producing. The green onions from last year's seeding have been producing.

The seedless green grape vine is trying to take over the neighborhood as always, the Concord grape vine is primed to produce. The apple tree is loaded, and the peach tree is really loaded, counted 35 peaches on that little tree today.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #377
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
So how's the gardens doing? I'm looking good, strawberries produced well, radish are producing, squash, pole beans and cukes are coming up nicely, green leaf is producing. The green onions from last year's seeding have been producing.

The seedless green grape vine is trying to take over the neighborhood as always, the Concord grape vine is primed to produce. The apple tree is loaded, and the peach tree is really loaded, counted 35 peaches on that little tree today.
Mine sucks so far to hot here to grow stuff the parsley died because of the lack of water one afternoon. the chives are stringy and weak, my mint plants got burnt also hopefull they recover.. and about the only thing that is growing worth a crap is the basil..

102 degrees is to hot to grow anything without loads of water and shade..

Most of my flowers have come up strong.. so will have to be content with them..

At my old house the recent freezes (jan) have all but killed my grape plants..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #378
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Cukes and squash are doing well. I'm on my third crop of radish. Getting to the end of the growing season now. Pole beans and green leaf faded for some reason, I'm not sure why, didn't get much out of them at all. The grapes, peaches and apples are kicking ass. I'm loaded on those.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #379
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

my cherry tomatoes are getting too much shade and not enough fruit, but its all the peak of summer in arizona, someone told me to cut the plants down to 24 inches and prepare for growing them in the fall. Anyone know about pruning them when its still so hot? will it shock the plant to death?
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #380
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeepers View Post
my cherry tomatoes are getting too much shade and not enough fruit, but its all the peak of summer in arizona, someone told me to cut the plants down to 24 inches and prepare for growing them in the fall. Anyone know about pruning them when its still so hot? will it shock the plant to death?
No. You should prune any new growth on tomato plants after it fruits.

You're lucky you live in AZ, long growing season. Just keep everything watered well and you'll get good crops. Hell man, AZ provides fresh produce from broccoli to zucchini for half the nation. AZ is a gardeners paradise.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #381
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

6 months into my 2 pineapple plants and theyre taking off. Anyone ever grow one, let me know ive been giving them citrus food thus far and its working.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #382
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Cukes and squash are doing well. I'm on my third crop of radish. Getting to the end of the growing season now. Pole beans and green leaf faded for some reason, I'm not sure why, didn't get much out of them at all. The grapes, peaches and apples are kicking ass. I'm loaded on those.
We planted radishes (why, I don't know, I don't care for them), and the minute they started coming in, they got thousands of tiny red bugs on them, which completely destroyed the entire pot. Chiggers? What are these things, and how to get rid of them?

Also, our zucchinis ended up turning yellow and rotting at the ends, and then a milky white residue took over the plant (as well as the cantaloupe on the other side of the garden ~10ft away) and it withered and died.

Any suggestions on either?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #383
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
We planted radishes (why, I don't know, I don't care for them), and the minute they started coming in, they got thousands of tiny red bugs on them, which completely destroyed the entire pot. Chiggers? What are these things, and how to get rid of them?

Also, our zucchinis ended up turning yellow and rotting at the ends, and then a milky white residue took over the plant (as well as the cantaloupe on the other side of the garden ~10ft away) and it withered and died.

The first question sounds like harvest mites, but not sure. Chiggers are too hard to see for the naked eye, unless they are grouped together making a little red spot. Depending on the exact size, could also be boxelder bugs. Those are a bit bigger and easier to see
Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #384
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post

I wish I could help you, but Michigan is an entire different climate than Colorado. You're gonna have to find some locals that know about such things. A garden shop, a feed store, whatever. Find some old folks around you, backyard gardening is becoming a lost art.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #385
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

How can you hope to grow anything in Colorado? The weeds infest everything and are completely unstoppable and one day of heat can pretty much kill anything left over. And there's a reason the farming folk never stopped in Colorado, but instead crossed the Rockies on their way West: This soil sucks! The only thing that grows in this soil are nettles, thistles and morning glories.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #386
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
How can you hope to grow anything in Colorado? The weeds infest everything and are completely unstoppable and one day of heat can pretty much kill anything left over. And there's a reason the farming folk never stopped in Colorado, but instead crossed the Rockies on their way West: This soil sucks! The only thing that grows in this soil are nettles, thistles and morning glories.
And pot, apparently.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #387
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Weeds? I don't have no stinking weeds.

Oddly, I do have moles though. Kind of weird to have moles on the Colorado plains, or maybe not. Those ****ers will disappear for months and then all of a sudden I walk out in the morning and there's a mound of dirt and a perfectly round hole in the center of it. No tracks around it, just the mound and a hole. What the **** do they even make the hole for? Ventilation?

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 08-19-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #388
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Weeds? I don't have no stinking weeds.

Oddly, I do have moles though. Kind of weird to have moles on the Colorado plains, or maybe not. Those ****ers will disappear for months and then all of a sudden I walk out in the morning and there's a mound of dirt and a perfectly round hole in the center of it. No tracks around it, just the mound and a hole. What the **** do they even make the hole for? Ventilation?
filling with water via a hose after you have put poison down the shaft.. they are good helpers in that regard..
Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #389
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
filling with water via a hose after you have put poison down the shaft.. they are good helpers in that regard..
I'm not gonna poison the little dudes, they don't do any damage that I can tell. I'm curious what exactly they do underground and why they figure they have to poke a hole above ground once in a while. Must be for ventilatioin.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #390
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I'm not gonna poison the little dudes, they don't do any damage that I can tell. I'm curious what exactly they do underground and why they figure they have to poke a hole above ground once in a while. Must be for ventilatioin.
Quote:
Breathing underground

Moles have been found to tolerate higher levels of carbon dioxide than other mammals. This is because their blood cells have a special and unique hemoglobin protein. Moles are able to re-use the oxygen inhaled when above ground and as a result are able to survive in low-oxygen environments such as underground burrows.[4]
Extra thumb
Mole hand

Moles have polydactyl hands; each hand has an extra thumb (also known as a prepollex) next to the regular thumb. While the mole's other digits have multiple joints, the prepollex has a single, sickle-shaped bone which develops later and differently than the other fingers during embryogenesis from a transformed sesamoid bone in the wrist, independently evolved but similar to the giant panda thumb. This supernumerary digit is species-specific as it is not present in shrews, the mole's closest relative. Androgenic steroids are known to affect the growth and formation of bones and there is a possible connection between this species-specific trait and the "male" genital apparatus in female moles in many mole species (gonads with testicular and ovary tissues). [5]
Diet

A mole's diet primarily consists of earthworms and other small invertebrates found in the soil and also a variety of nuts. The mole runs are in reality 'worm traps', the mole sensing when a worm falls into the tunnel and quickly running along to kill and eat it.[6] Because their saliva contains a toxin that can paralyze earthworms, moles are able to store their still living prey for later consumption. They construct special underground "larders" for just this purposeŚresearchers have discovered such larders with over a thousand earthworms in them. Before eating earthworms, moles pull them between their squeezed paws to force the collected earth and dirt out of the worm's gut.[7]

The Star-nosed Mole can detect, catch and eat food faster than the human eye can follow (under .3 seconds).[8]
If you have worms in your soil for making it better tehn they are eating them ..
Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #391
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
If you have worms in your soil for making it better tehn they are eating them ..
I do like to keep my soil full of worms. Dang moles must be under my property all the time, I only see their mounds once in a while. Those little buggers must hibernate also, or go deep with the worms in winter.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #392
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I do like to keep my soil full of worms. Dang moles must be under my property all the time, I only see their mounds once in a while. Those little buggers must hibernate also, or go deep with the worms in winter.
I'd rather have worms doing what they do best than a family of moles taht has no real purpose on earth..
Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #393
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

Quote:

You're lucky you live in AZ, long growing season. Just keep everything watered well and you'll get good crops. Hell man, AZ provides fresh produce from broccoli to zucchini for half the nation. AZ is a gardeners paradise.
how about melons, i have tons of growth, but the flowers aren't pollinating. no melons.
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #394
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

ive had great production from all my herbs and my bell, mamba and cobra peppers.

I have a few softball size cantalopes and lot's of bean vines but no beans. (blue lake)

More tomatos, cucumber, squash and zuccuni then I can eat.

what I can't get to grow is my Ghost Chillis. not a flower not a sprout. nada.

anyone try to grow these.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #395
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
how about melons, i have tons of growth, but the flowers aren't pollinating. no melons.
use a qtip and polinate them manually.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #396
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Man - don't tell that to the tomatoes, the corn, the peppers or the peaches. Those things just go like they're weeds in Colorado. Other than that, its a lot of weed fighting where we try and get all the other goodies to grow. I personally have never had a better ear of corn or a better peach than some I have had in Colorado.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #397
Meck77

Quote:

You got that right about AZ. My tomatoes are blowing up even through the heat of the summer. Grew them in raised beds and left a drip on them. Haven't even given them much attention.

My colorado ones are slow for some reason. Luckily I put a bunch of them in 5 gallons buckets and will probably move them down to AZ before the fall.

Ro-You might try raised beds. You got some upfront labor but easy to harvest and do maintenance. I've never used it but you could nuke your dirt with preene before the season starts. Dont' recommend nuking food though. Would recommend using corn gluten as a weed preventer. I also use wood chips or busted up hay bales.

You can buy cheap boards at Habitat for humanity warehouse off I70 frontage road near kipling. A young guy there came up with the idea of cutting up solid core doors. Maybe not ideal material but they are cheap. Line them with some durable plastic and you are good to go.

The wacky swings in spring did a number on a lot of our sprouts but we did well. Potatoes, onions, lettuce and wow the apples. Best crop I can remember. They loved the heat. Same with the alfalfa. Cukes are going wild! Goats packing on the lbs like nobody's business. Peanuts is the secret!

Heading south for the winter. Hoping to get some wine grapes in the ground for the future but have a lot of irrigation to tackle first.

Last edited by Meck77; 08-20-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #398
broncoblue
english not british!!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ac.6NJDbUHNmb8

for all garners check my sons videos....there good .
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #399
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
I've never had much luck with melons either. I'm not sure what the problem is. Wish I could help you out, but I can't.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #400
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote