The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #326
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I keep the worms and crawlers in the garden by working in plenty of nutrients in the form of the grass thatch when I fork the garden over in spring. Mulch from the kitchen waste is great also. They stay right at home. And then once the crops take hold they feed on some of the roots also.

Those crawlers sure do make a lawn lumpy, but they're great for a garden.
or fishing...
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #327
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Chickens and garter snakes? Heh-heh.
Tried that but the Weimaraner ate the chickens, doves, pigeons and crows...

Snakes not going to happen with my wife..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #328
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
or fishing...
That's a nice side benefit. One of my fishing buddies calls me a day ahead of time and reminds me to "Don't forget to dig some worms out of your garden." Same thing every time.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #329
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Not the clippings, just the dead grass I thatch out of the lawn in March with my thatch rake.

Maybe your situation is hopeless because the clay is impossible to bust up deep, I'm not trying to preach like I know your situation.

I use a garden fork to turn the soil over. I know clay is hard and it takes a while the first time you try to bust up that virgin clay. It's about a four-five round bout trying to bust up virgin clay.

You have to drive that fork in like an aerator the first round of the bout, even if you can only get it in a couple inches. Soak the clay good first of course, and then soak it again after you've created holes in it with the garden fork. Then start again in round two of the bout and bust the clay up a little more. You can start trying to work in some thatch/mulch in this round, maybe some fish meal pellets. Of course soak it again, then start on the next round of the bout.

The clay will be in big chunks once you start making headway, but then you soak it again and start the next round of the bout driving that fork into the chunks and work your thatch/mulch in some more.

It's a battle, I've been through it. Takes time, water, sweat, but clay is not bad soil to grow in once you've busted it up. There can still be many chunks 2-3 inches in diameter that first year, you'll still get a yield. The worms and crawlers will keep the clay you already busted up loose and aerated. The mulch/thatch will give them plenty of food.
wow that is alot of work and time. Time is a biggie with me because I work full time and school part time and the wife is pregnant. I think it would be easier if I go to home depot and rent a auger to loosen up the clay and mix it with some topsoil to make a raised garden bed. I saw some guy place an ad for topsoil on craigslist. I like the idea of worms or nightcrawlers. is there a difference?
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #330
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
wow that is alot of work and time. Time is a biggie with me because I work full time and school part time and the wife is pregnant. I think it would be easier if I go to home depot and rent a auger to loosen up the clay and mix it with some topsoil to make a raised garden bed. I saw some guy place an ad for topsoil on craigslist. I like the idea of worms or nightcrawlers. is there a difference?
Eh, maybe 20 hours in 2 weeks? For lets say a 10x12 plot.

Add both red worms and crawlers, they're both good for keeping the soil loose and aerated and fertilized, the crawlers like to come out at night so there is your aeration. Also as mentioned above it's nice to have both for when you're going fishing!

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #331
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

You can mix in some perlite also for aeration purposes.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #332
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

is this seriously 14 pages long?

14 pages of thinly veiled euphemisms for growing pot in your back yard or basement??

seriously?

damned hippes!

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #333
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://bbandcnyc.com/
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #334
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Have any of you guys ever read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Soil-S.../dp/1890693243

Secrets of the Soil : New Solutions for Restoring Our Planet [Paperback]
Peter Tompkins (Author), Christopher Bird (Author)
Old 02-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #335
Meck77

**ATTENTION**

Looking for farmers/gardeners/cowboys/Ranchers!

Do you have some farming experience? Gardening on a large scale? Ranching experience? Can you fix fence? Drive a tractor? Wrastle a goat?

Do you live in the Denver metro area?

If so I have various farming/ranching jobs starting this spring. If you have the right experience I may be able to provide some lodging if you are looking to move to Denver and a little closer to the Broncos.

Thanks,

Meck77

Last edited by Meck77; 02-14-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #336
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Hey guys - buy your heirloom seeds NOW. stock up for next season. Also start learning to save your seeds if you haven't learned yet.

I got a tip from a seed vendor that there's going to be a shortage..he could be yanking my chain for sales...but it's a vendor that I don't like.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #337
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Anyone interested in testing something out for free? (Well, minus some follow up if you like it/don't - did it work/didn't, etc)

I've been given the "keys" so to speak and am looking for a few people I can just have test out something i've talked about here before.

Quote:
Re-Cycler has been designed to feed on insoluble inorganic salts in your system/media. (NOTE: In soils it takes approximately 2-3 weeks to seed the root zone, in hydroponic systems results happen MUCH faster within a day or two).

Re-Cycler protects, and extends the root hairs of your favorite plants enabling them to grow big! It’s a well known fact that build-up of insoluble salts/chemicals contributes to poor system/media conditions that can inhibit healthy plant growth and lead to a myriad of other issues, as any experienced gardener will tell you. The microbes in Re-Cycler break down inorganic salts and other carbon-based compounds into bio-available nutrients the plants can now consume, where without Re-Cycler those nutrients would have simply been flushed out into the environment never to be used, wasted money... Other byproducts of the process such as humates stimulate and add vigor to your favorite flora as a side effect!

Another added benefit of Re-Cycler is that it breaks down toxins such as un-spent herbicides and pesticides in the system/media. They are transformed into fatty acids, CO2 and water. Using Re-Cycler will force the breakdown of other dead organic material like carbohydrates and proteins, and convert them into soluble forms of N and P. Proteins break down into ammonia; Re-Cycler converts it into an assimilated form of nitrate your plants can use.
Another extremely valuable added benefit of using Re-Cycler is that our strains of hyper-vigorous microbes will overgrow harmful pathogenic microbes that may be present in your environment, thus enabling gardeners to be more effective at proactively managing the health of their plants environment. Re-Cycler eliminates nematodes in the larval stages which is good news for your roots. Re-Cycler “fluffs” up the soil making it spongier, which aides in aeration of the root zone enabling the plants to soak up the nutrients more effectively.

Works in Soil/Water - Looking for 4-6 people if i can/could.

PM me if interested.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #338
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Hey guys - i talked to a few people and they're pointing to seed shortages next year.

You can google: Monsanto seed shortage and see some of the issues.

Also - Since there wasn't enough of a cold snap in the Mid-Atlantic-NE, fruit bearing trees/shrubs didn't get to "rest" - this means that there will be a crappy harvest this year.

Stock up on seeds, learn how to clone your plants & save your seeds to maximize your resources.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #339
Broncbow

I got some elephant **** for my garden.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #340
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/

Must watch for gardeners. You will love it.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #341
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-...s-survive.html

(PhysOrg.com) -- Plants subjected to a previous period of drought learn to deal with the stress thanks to their memories of the experience, new research has found.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #342
Meck77

Planting 500 5 foot trees this spring and launching over 4,000 vegi seedlings next week!

Launching a pack goat herd this spring also. Yup you heard right. Pack goats. Most nimble, durable, loyal pack animal on the planet. Can pack 30% of their own body weight and will follow you anywhere. Places a horse or donkey wouldn't even dare! Ever wanted to get a case a beer up a 14 teener? Call me in a couple years.

Get your boots on!

Last edited by Meck77; 03-16-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #343
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Is it too early to prune, I know not to prune Liacs until after they bloom but I have a couple bushes I want to lower a good 2 feet, it has been in mid 70's all week, I am afraid we might get one or 2 cold snaps yet this year.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #344
Meck77

The urban garden has a whole new meaning now.

http://www.tkwa.com/growing-power-vertical-farm/

Look what they are building in Sweden!

http://www.good.is/post/a-vertical-g...lf-sufficient/

Last edited by Meck77; 03-23-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #345
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

We're helping people do things like that here.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #346
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
We're helping people do things like that here.
Nice. I can see these concepts being integrated into new single family homes of tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #347
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Nice. I can see these concepts being integrated into new single family homes of tomorrow.

http://earthship.com/
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #348
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Is it too early to prune, I know not to prune Liacs until after they bloom but I have a couple bushes I want to lower a good 2 feet, it has been in mid 70's all week, I am afraid we might get one or 2 cold snaps yet this year.
Pruning trees is best done a little earlier, but now is a good time. Been pruning the ash, the pine, the apple tree, and the grape vines the past three weeks.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #349
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Last year's onions are starting to kick ass. Turned over the soil a few days ago, I'll work in some compost and dead grass I thatch out of the lawn in the next week.

Still have a month or so to go before seeding, but I'm itching to get to it. I'm gonna try something different this year, I'll plant carrot and potato seeds long before the last freeze and see what happens.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #350
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Tried that but the Weimaraner ate the chickens, doves, pigeons and crows...

Snakes not going to happen with my wife..
SOB! What an idea!

She's got me lowering the soil level around the ****ing house. Without all of her ****, I could just move.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote