The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #251
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Peaches and concord grapes coming in. Woo!

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 28825[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Nice.

That Concord vine, how old is it and how big does it get?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #252
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
No, we prefer just eating the grapes (as do the raccoons and birds). The monster has expanded another 30" since July 4th and it hasn't had much sun since then. Once it gets hot and dry again no doubt it will hit its 6" per day. I tell ya, it's a monster.
A group of my friends here screwed theirs all up. mold. too low, too thick.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #253
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
A group of my friends here screwed theirs all up. mold. too low, too thick.
I guess in some climates grapevines don't do well. Hot and dry seems to be where grapevines do best.

Remember I said the vine would expand 6" per day once it got hot and dry again? Yep. It took off at about 9" per day after getting 90+ heat and sun after six days of monsoon rain. I know other people with grapevines, and their's don't proliferate like this thing.

My other crops have done well also. The squash, cukes, pole beans, are getting strong. The green leaf is starting to go to seed, so I did a second seeding. The radish are into their second seeding and doing well. The green onions are doing well, still harvesting those from last year, but they're getting woody.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #254
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I guess in some climates grapevines don't do well. Hot and dry seems to be where grapevines do best.

Remember I said the vine would expand 6" per day once it got hot and dry again? Yep. It took off at about 9" per day after getting 90+ heat and sun after six days of monsoon rain. I know other people with grapevines, and their's don't proliferate like this thing.

My other crops have done well also. The squash, cukes, pole beans, are getting strong. The green leaf is starting to go to seed, so I did a second seeding. The radish are into their second seeding and doing well. The green onions are doing well, still harvesting those from last year, but they're getting woody.
We had a really wet spring and early part of the season. if they would have had it thinned out and spread out more, it would have flourished big time with this heat we are getting.

Do you save the seed of your crops?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #255
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Nice.

That Concord vine, how old is it and how big does it get?
Not sure how old it is. We just moved into the house in March. It is probably 25-30ft end to end right now. I have another one on the property that hasn't been nicely restrained, and it has grown 15 ft out in several directions. I'm a noob when it comes to grapevines, I got myself a book on the proper pruning/training, so it will be interesting to see how it does next year.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #256
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
We had a really wet spring and early part of the season. if they would have had it thinned out and spread out more, it would have flourished big time with this heat we are getting.

Do you save the seed of your crops?
Actually, I've never tried to save the seed. I've let them go to seed, but there must be an art to it, because the second season I let the seeds root it seemed the plants went to seed faster.

I grew up gardening listening to my elders and they always bought seeds, so there must be an art to perpetuating your own crops. If you want to experiment with seeds go for it. That's how many varieties of crops have come to be.

Maybe seeding your crops from the previous year is a lost art, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #257
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Not sure how old it is. We just moved into the house in March. It is probably 25-30ft end to end right now. I have another one on the property that hasn't been nicely restrained, and it has grown 15 ft out in several directions. I'm a noob when it comes to grapevines, I got myself a book on the proper pruning/training, so it will be interesting to see how it does next year.
Jeez, that's a big two vines. Keep us updated. It's not everybody that has two vines that size.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #258
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Actually, I've never tried to save the seed. I've let them go to seed, but there must be an art to it, because the second season I let the seeds root it seemed the plants went to seed faster.

I grew up gardening listening to my elders and they always bought seeds, so there must be an art to perpetuating your own crops. If you want to experiment with seeds go for it. That's how many varieties of crops have come to be.

Maybe seeding your crops from the previous year is a lost art, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Well, my one buddy is learning how to "save the seed". My grandma actually told me about saving the seed. We are going to see if we got some of the peas we let go to seed next season. A few others too.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #259
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

ive learned my lesson for seed planting...unless you are planting a specific plant in heavy bulk (10+) im just going to buy the plant pre-grown. the stalks on all my peppers are pathetic.

does used coffee work as a fertilizer or something btw?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #260
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Well, my one buddy is learning how to "save the seed". My grandma actually told me about saving the seed. We are going to see if we got some of the peas we let go to seed next season. A few others too.
Go for it, I wish you the best. I've never tried to find out when exactly is the time to grab the seed and save it. All I'ver done is let the lettuce, peas, beans, etc go through their natural cycle. But those are not heirloom seeds, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm interested to see how you do.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #261
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
ive learned my lesson for seed planting...unless you are planting a specific plant in heavy bulk (10+) im just going to buy the plant pre-grown. the stalks on all my peppers are pathetic.

does used coffee work as a fertilizer or something btw?
Seeding is the best way to go for me. Get your soil turned over early, plant $10 of seeds, and watch your garden produce.

Coffee grounds are good if you need acidic soil. They're not a panacea.

My garden seems to do best when I don't f around with the soil, I just make sure it's full of worms and nightcrawlers. I'll toss in some fish meal pellets when I first turn the soil over in spring, and take my thatching from the lawn and work it in at the same time to give the worms and crawlers some food. It works for me. And I buy fishing worms and crawlers several times a year and throw them into the garden. I'm a firm believer in lots of worms and crawlers makes a good garden.

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 07-18-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #262
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Seeding is the best way to go for me. Get your soil turned over early, plant $10 of seeds, and watch your garden produce.

Coffee grounds are good if you need acidic soil. They're not a panacea.

My garden seems to do best when I don't f around with the soil, I just make sure it's full of worms and nightcrawlers. I'll toss in some fish meal pellets when I first turn the soil over in spring, and take my thatching from the lawn and work it in at the same time to give the worms and crawlers some food. It works for me. And I buy fishing worms and crawlers several times a year and throw them into the garden. I'm a firm believer in lots of worms and crawlers makes a good garden.

Let the seedlings grow and thin them. You always seed more than what you actually produce. Then you thin it, it's hard, I know, but you have to seed plenty and thin. Some crops like squash, cukes and beans you seed every four inches, but lettuce, radish, onions, you seed them thick and have to make
i think my biggest problem with thin stems is i didnt thin them. each pepper plant actually contains like 3-6 stalks so they are probably competing a lot and not enough nutrients for any of them.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #263
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
i think my biggest problem with thin stems is i didnt thin them. each pepper plant actually contains like 3-6 stalks so they are probably competing a lot and not enough nutrients for any of them.
It's tough to thin from your seeds but you have to do it. That's what nurseries do to provide seedlings.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #264
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Nice read:

http://www.urbanorganicgardener.com/...aximize-space/

Growing Cucumbers Vertically to Maximize Space
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #265
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Maybe I misread your post. Did you plant one seed, or many? If you planted one seed, but got 3-6 stalks from it that's fine. You should pinch off new stalks after it fruits, same with tomatoes.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #266
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Nice read:

http://www.urbanorganicgardener.com/...aximize-space/

Growing Cucumbers Vertically to Maximize Space
That actually works very well.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #267
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

We have been having some issues out here with some blossom rot due to the high heat low rain part of the summer.

Also, the "Recycler" product i've mentioned before - is going to be tested out by a large indoor hydroponics farm doing 30 tons of food/yr for a high density/urban application. (They also use some soil as well).

My friend in SEA has been using it and has had some great results and has moved to testing it in his aquaponics setup.

It's pretty exciting things and cool ****!

Also, i'll pass on the contact info to anyone interested - but a store in Loveland, CO carries this product.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #268
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
We have been having some issues out here with some blossom rot due to the high heat low rain part of the summer.

Also, the "Recycler" product i've mentioned before - is going to be tested out by a large indoor hydroponics farm doing 30 tons of food/yr for a high density/urban application. (They also use some soil as well).

My friend in SEA has been using it and has had some great results and has moved to testing it in his aquaponics setup.

It's pretty exciting things and cool ****!

Also, i'll pass on the contact info to anyone interested - but a store in Loveland, CO carries this product.
I wish you the best of luck. I'm just a traditional kind of gardener, kind of bewildered by this hi-tech stuff.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #269
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I wish you the best of luck. I'm just a traditional kind of gardener, kind of bewildered by this hi-tech stuff.
The "Recycler" product isn't just for water media. It also works in soil. It uses bacteria to help unbind salts, unspent herbicides and pesticides too

Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #270
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

oh - Cito -

i wanted to let you know - we've successfully saved "peas" (save the seed), and jalapenos!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #271
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
oh - Cito -

i wanted to let you know - we've successfully saved "peas" (save the seed), and jalapenos!
Keep up the good work. I've never been able to get a good yield the second and third years from my plants.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #272
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/09/it-ta...to-in-florida/

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/09/08/...ato-came-to-be

It Takes 110 Chemicals To Grow A Tomato In Florida

Posted by majestic on September 11, 2011

There is so much wrong with Florida tomatoes it’s hard to believe that anyone will touch them. One farmer tells author Barry Estabrook “I get paid per pound. I don’t get paid a cent for taste.” He also says the farm workers are slaves: “Slavery is what is happening. There is no way to gloss it. You can’t say ’slavery-like.’ You can’t say ‘near-slavery.’ ‘Human trafficking’ doesn’t even do it credit.”

He’s interviewed by CNN’s Eatocracy blog:
Old 09-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #273
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I had my typical yield this year for squash, beans, radish, cukes, lettuce, onions. Sure is nice to put a little work in (which I actually like), spend twenty dollars for seed, spend ten dollars for worms, and reap $200 of produce. Not to mention how much goodwill I get from my neighbors when I give them the excess fresh harvest.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #274
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Very nice. The final yield for my co-op "garden" - was I got 1.5 GAL of sauce (he got the other 3.5 GAL) - as well as 90 bell peppers, and assorted other stuff we split.

We froze/canned/etc.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #275
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Very nice. The final yield for my co-op "garden" - was I got 1.5 GAL of sauce (he got the other 3.5 GAL) - as well as 90 bell peppers, and assorted other stuff we split.

We froze/canned/etc.
It's called 'produce' for a reason.

It's not like it's a lot of work, the reap is well worth the work put in. I guess some people just don't like getting their hands dirty, dealing with the insects, pulling weeds. I love produce gardening myself, it's rewarding year after year after year, unlike some other endeavours that are swing and a miss like the stock market and the Broncos.