The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #226
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I need help identifying websites for plants shipped to my home in Colorado.

I need to identify cool gardening methods of composting that can be stored with minimal space.

I want to create an outdoor perennial garden that is somewhat portable. I am looking for a small hydroponic herb garden that can be ground indoors or outdoors.

PM me with whatever cool websites, ideas, or concepts you think can help me pull this off.

What is the link to your previously posted thread? Anything cool there?
Did you have an epiphany?
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #227
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

I need to identify cool gardening methods of composting that can be stored with minimal space.

I want to create an outdoor perennial garden that is somewhat portable. I am looking for a small hydroponic herb garden that can be ground indoors or outdoors.

PM me with whatever cool websites, ideas, or concepts you think can help me pull this off.

I'll help you with the indoor stuff, I can probably get it @ a good price.

Last edited by alkemical; 06-29-2011 at 06:04 AM..
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #228
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
We've had some wet weather out here, but it's been hot and wet. Things here are growing well, but we've had some blight/mold issues on some crops.

Pretty good overall. Back in the 90's next week.

How big is your grapevine?
The one that's been around for 20 years is an absolute monster if it isn't pruned heavily. It literally grows 6" a day in all directions, throws shoots off galore.

I let it grow one season just to see how far it would go and still fruit, it got about 40 feet in circumference in one season, I kid you not. And it produced grapes throughout it's length the next season. I have no doubt it could have got bigger, but I cut it back since it brought in the raccoons with all the fruit it was producing. I keep it pruned to about 10' and just let it cling on the fence. Once it fruits I prune the new growth.

I planted a Concord seedling a few years ago and it's starting to hit it's stride now. It hasn't produced any fruit yet, but it's about 4' and I'll keep it that way.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #229
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

I guess you need to check with your local nursery. Myself I don't compost, my method is to thatch my lawn, take that dead grass and work it into the garden soil when I fork it over in spring (tilling). That gives the worms and crawlers something to feed on and I'm a big believer in having a healthy garden is having a lot of worms and crawlers in your soil to keep the soil aerated and provide their waste to further enrich your garden soil.

Then I just buy seed packets each spring and plant the seeds according to the directions on the packets. It produces for me.

I buy a few cartons of fishing worms and crawlers every summer and toss them into the garden to make sure the population stays healthy. They really do keep your soil loose and aerated.

I also throw in some fish meal pellets while I'm tilling the soil in spring.

As for a portable perennial garden, I guess you'll have to get yourself some large containers and set them on casters. You can get them from Home Depot, what people use for moving furniture.

For hydroponics, I guess alkemical has some ideas.

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 06-29-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #230
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
The one that's been around for 20 years is an absolute monster if it isn't pruned heavily. It literally grows 6" a day in all directions, throws shoots off galore.

I let it grow one season just to see how far it would go and still fruit, it got about 40 feet in circumference in one season, I kid you not. And it produced grapes throughout it's length the next season. I have no doubt it could have got bigger, but I cut it back since it brought in the raccoons with all the fruit it was producing. I keep it pruned to about 10' and just let it cling on the fence. Once it fruits I prune the new growth.

I planted a Concord seedling a few years ago and it's starting to hit it's stride now. It hasn't produced any fruit yet, but it's about 4' and I'll keep it that way.
Very nice, are you having any problems with any diseases? We've had a super wet spring and one of my friend's vine is not doing so hot. But they aren't exactly attentive gardeners either.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #231
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I guess you need to check with your local nursery. Myself I don't compost, my method is to thatch my lawn, take that dead grass and work it into the garden soil when I fork it over in spring (tilling). That gives the worms and crawlers something to feed on and I'm a big believer in having a healthy garden is having a lot of worms and crawlers in your soil to keep the soil aerated and provide their waste to further enrich your garden soil.

Then I just buy seed packets each spring and plant the seeds according to the directions on the packets. It produces for me.

I buy a few cartons of fishing worms and crawlers every summer and toss them into the garden to make sure the population stays healthy. They really do keep your soil loose and aerated.

I also throw in some fish meal pellets while I'm tilling the soil in spring.

As for a portable perennial garden, I guess you'll have to get yourself some large containers and set them on casters. You can get them from Home Depot, what people use for moving furniture.

For hydroponics, I guess alkemical has some ideas.

Yep a large pot with some casters would be the way to go - I found some dwarf tree info and sent it his way.

My one buddy composts - and has a nice bin going. He built it up with 3 walls of cinder block - he had some leftover soil from some yard work - and we threw in some mulch that was old from the landscaping. Added some worm castings and now just compostable stuff from the garbage, etc. it's starting to break down real nice.

As for the hydroponics thinger - I just need some info to find out how much one is planning on doing.

I'm going to have a salad table done indoors this year via the fall/winter/early spring. So I hope to be able to share what i'm doing.

My projected crop:

Tomatoes, Cukes, leaf lettuce, peppers to start.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #232
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Very nice, are you having any problems with any diseases? We've had a super wet spring and one of my friend's vine is not doing so hot. But they aren't exactly attentive gardeners either.
No, I've never had any problems with diseases of any kind, and the lack of wet springs probably has something to do with that. It's pretty hard for a fungus to grow when it's hot and dry, but I imagine if we had a prolonged wet spell there would be some fungus.

We had a wet first two weeks of May, but since then there has only been one day of wet weather, the other 40 days have been hot, sunny, and dry. I'm not a viniculturist, but hot, sunny and dry from the little I know is perfect for grape vines. I don't even water them. In fact, the Concord I planted might be suffering from over watering, since it's near where I water my grass. It's on the downslope from the grass area.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #233
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Did you have an epiphany?
No.

I got married.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #234
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just noticed my limes are coming in. Not as exciting as some of yours but it'll sit great in a Corona when all is said and done.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #235
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
No.

I got married.
That's an epiphany. When you have to provide for a family a garden to lessen the food bills looks pretty good. It's not appealing to everybody, that's for sure though. You have to enjoy gardening, and it's not real popular. Many people don't like getting their hands dirty.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #236
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
That's an epiphany. When you have to provide for a family a garden to lessen the food bills looks pretty good. It's not appealing to everybody, that's for sure though. You have to enjoy gardening, and it's not real popular. Many people don't like getting their hands dirty.
It's a hell of a lot of work as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #237
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
It's a hell of a lot of work as well.
Yeah, it's not for everybody. You have to enjoy it, that's for sure.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #238
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Yeah, it's not for everybody. You have to enjoy it, that's for sure.
I don't have the land to do the outdoor thing, but really enjoyed spending time out side.

I have done a ton of weeding in the gardens for my friends, and some of the "crap work" - but man - i got a ton of snap peas, some cukes - DELICIOUS!!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #239
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
I enjoyed gardening long before I met her. She wants to impress me with her green thumb so consequently because we moved to a different type of setup and I don't have the land to do what I used to do I have figure out something else.

One of my gardens was a butterfly garden. I told her about this and she was fascinated. If you have never grown a butterfly garden it is fascinating. I have no idea how my butterflys were whipping around in my yard but to put a number on it let's say 1000. It was for only a brief time but it is one of the most amazing things you can ever see. Photography cannot not capture 360 degrees of beauty.

http://www.thebutterflysite.com/gardening.shtml

My wife is creating beauty in my life. She is my garden. The plants, to me, are just plants.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #240
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

ive got 6 pepper plants, some sort of small white bug was overtaking them, and in addition they all seem to be dying now. the weird weather in florida right now isnt helping, but sucks to put the time in building the planters and buying 50 bucks worth of soil to only et a few peppers out of it!
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #241
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
ive got 6 pepper plants, some sort of small white bug was overtaking them, and in addition they all seem to be dying now. the weird weather in florida right now isnt helping, but sucks to put the time in building the planters and buying 50 bucks worth of soil to only et a few peppers out of it!
Eh, try this web site for tips on getting rid of the bug, and for general gardening tips and tonics:

http://www.jerrybaker.com/garden/inf...andtonics.aspx
Old 07-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #242
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Dude, that monster grapevine of mine has expanded 36 inches since June 29th. I tell ya, it's a monster. It would take over the neighborhood if I didn't prune it constantly.

I'm guessing it's 20 years old, I didn't plant it so I'm assuming it was planted when the house was built. It's 10" in diameter at the root, and has six 2 - 4" diameter shoots off of the root.

It's an absolute monster. I seriously think that thing could reach 100 feet in diameter if I let it grow.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #243
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Harvested about 1/3 of my peach tree yesterday. This was my first experience with growing peaches, as the tree came with our new house, but so far, so good. Pretty tasty. Going to have to give a bunch of them away, though. Pulled off about 50, probably have another 50-100 left. We aren't really prepped for canning yet, maybe next year.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #244
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Dude, that monster grapevine of mine has expanded 36 inches since June 29th. I tell ya, it's a monster. It would take over the neighborhood if I didn't prune it constantly.

I'm guessing it's 20 years old, I didn't plant it so I'm assuming it was planted when the house was built. It's 10" in diameter at the root, and has six 2 - 4" diameter shoots off of the root.

It's an absolute monster. I seriously think that thing could reach 100 feet in diameter if I let it grow.
Don't you get all kinds of big assed Spiders growing in that thing? I found a black widow in y dad's one year and never went near it again. His vine was like an apartment complex for Spiders.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #245
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
but sucks to put the time in building the planters and buying 50 bucks worth of soil to only et a few peppers out of it!
Next time get the yellow bags of steer manure from Home Depot for $1.15.

It's the "same ****" as the $7 bags.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #246
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Next time get the yellow bags of steer manure from Home Depot for $1.15.

It's the "same ****" as the $7 bags.
i bought bags that were 2 bucks each, just took a lot of dirt to fill my plants. 4x1x1
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #247
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

holy frick!

you making wine?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #248
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110630-wpms

Oak Park Woman Faces 93-Days in Jail For Planting Vegetable Garden

By ALEXIS WILEY
WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

OAK PARK, Mich. (WJBK) - "The price of organic food is kind of through the roof," said Julie Bass.

So, why not grow your own? However, Bass' garden is a little unique because it's in her front yard.

"We thought it'd be really cool to do it so the neighbors could see. The kids love it. The kids from the neighborhood all come and help," she said.

Bass' cool garden has landed her in hot water with the City of Oak Park. Code enforcement gave her a warning, then a ticket and now she's been charged with a misdemeanor.

"I think it's sad that the City of Oak Park that's already strapped for cash is paying a lot of money to have a prosecutor bothering us," Bass told FOX 2's Alexis Wiley.

"That's not what we want to see in a front yard," said Oak Park City Planner Kevin Rulkowski.

Why? The city is pointing to a code that says a front yard has to have suitable, live, plant material. The big question is what's "suitable?"

We asked Bass whether she thinks she has suitable, live, plant material in her front yard.

"It's definitely live. It's definitely plant. It's definitely material. We think it's suitable," she said.

So, we asked Rulkowski why it's not suitable.

"If you look at the definition of what suitable is in Webster's dictionary, it will say common. So, if you look around and you look in any other community, what's common to a front yard is a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers," he said.

But when you look at front yards that are unsightly and overgrown, is Bass' vegetable garden really worth the city's time and money?

We asked Rulkowski what he would say to those who feel this is ridiculous.

"I would argue that you won't find that opinion from most people in Oak Park," he responded.

"I have a bunch of little children and we take walks to come by and see everything growing. I think it's a very wonderful thing for our neighborhood," said neighbor Devorah Gold.

"They don't have (anything) else to do (if) they're going to take her to court for a garden," said neighbor Ora Goodwin.

We did find one neighbor who wasn't a fan and thinks it needs to go.

"I know there's a backyard. Do it in the backyard," he said.

"They say, 'Why should you grow things in the front?' Well, why shouldn't I? They're fine. They're pretty. They're well maintained," said Bass.

It looks like this critical debate is headed for a jury trial and neither side is backing down.

"I could sell out and save my own self and just not have them bother me anymore, but then there's no telling what they're going to harass the next person about," Bass told us.

There's another pretrial scheduled for July 26. The next step could be a jury trial.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #249
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Peaches and concord grapes coming in. Woo!

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  IMG_4434.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  65.8 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images

mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #250
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
holy frick!

you making wine?
No, we prefer just eating the grapes (as do the raccoons and birds). The monster has expanded another 30" since July 4th and it hasn't had much sun since then. Once it gets hot and dry again no doubt it will hit its 6" per day. I tell ya, it's a monster.