The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Boss Bailey says 'it feels unreal'

Joining Denver topped wish list for linebacker

It seems so perfect, Boss Bailey still has difficulty believing the situation in which he now finds himself.

He gets to play with his brother Champ and good friend Dre Bly with the Broncos.

He has the chance to earn as much as $20.5 million during the next five seasons and to play under a two-time Super Bowl-winning coach in Mike Shanahan.

And there's not only a starting spot at strong-side linebacker with his name on it, but an opportunity to play in nickel pass packages as well.

"It feels unreal, really," he said Tuesday in his first public comments about his new team since joining the Broncos last week.

Even the residue of the team's 7-9 finish last season washes right off Bailey, especially given the freedom he now feels having left the Detroit Lions, with whom he averaged only five victories the past five years.

"They're putting together a winning team," the linebacker said. "I talked to coach Shanahan personally, and he was telling me we had some players around that weren't willing to work for success and now those players are gone and they're bringing in players who are willing to work.

"I'm one of them."

Aside from Bailey, the Broncos have added linebacker Niko Koutouvides and safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel. The Broncos also will get defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban back from a severe Achilles' tendon injury.

All the moves are aimed at shoring up a group that finished 30th in rush defense and contributed heavily to a dismal allowance of 409 points.

"I don't think we'll be the 30th-ranked run defense again," Bailey said. "There's too high of expectations to even think about something like that."

Bailey, 28, witnessed firsthand what arguably was the Broncos' rock-bottom moment in 2007 - a 44-7 loss at Ford Field to the Lions on Nov. 4 that demonstrated why Murphy's Law was coined.

Even taking into consideration comments from his brother during frequent in-season phone conversations about the state of the Broncos, the lopsided nature of that game was "a little surprising" to the younger Bailey. It was considerably less stunning when the Broncos called Boss Bailey after the season and told him they were seeking reinforcements.

"Denver definitely was No. 1 on my list," he said. "What better situation can I go into? Having a chance to start, play a ton of snaps and be with my brother and one of my good friends and a storied franchise. So why wouldn't you want to go to the Denver Broncos?"

The chance to play with Champ, 29, whom he considers his confidante, was a particular selling point. The two most recently were teammates during Boss' freshman season at the University of Georgia in 1998.

"I'm still trying to get used to the idea I'll be playing with my brother," he said, adding their first go-round was "exciting."

Bailey never actually dreamed he and Champ might play together as pros until he became a free agent and looked around the league at various opportunities. That's when need and desire intersected.

"Sometimes when things seem too good to be true you don't want to wrap your mind around it too much and especially start thinking about it," Boss Bailey said. "But when the process began and it seemed like it would be a possibility, it was like, 'OK, don't get too excited until it's done.' "

Now that it's done, communication shouldn't be an issue between the brothers, even from the start.

"We have the type of relationship where we can give each other a look and know what's going on," Boss Bailey said. "That's just the way it is."

He even has some familiarity with the AFC West, given that the Lions not only played the Broncos last season but also the San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders.

In doing so, Bailey matched up in coverage on San Diego's Antonio Gates and Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez, two of the NFL's premier tight ends. It's something he'll have to get used to beginning next season.

Bailey said he didn't allow Gates to get the ball and limited Gonzalez to one reception off a quarterback scramble.

"It's a great challenge," Bailey said of future matchups with the two tight ends.

And, showing some of the swagger his brother exudes, he said it's a challenge he embraces.

"I kind of possess some of the same confidence," he said. "It's just believing in your skills."

McCREE DETAILS: McCree's contract with the Broncos is a one-year deal worth $2 million, including a $500,000 bonus to sign.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-feels-unreal/

Boss Bailey:"I talked to coach Shanahan personally, and he was telling me we had some players around that weren't willing to work for success and now those players are gone and they're bringing in players who are willing to work.

"I'm one of them."
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I thought that comment was pretty bold, too. I am assuming he was referencing Javon. Is there anyone else who you think Mike was thinking about when he made that comment?
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
DelBronco
Redshirt Sophomore

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Justin Bannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I thought that comment was pretty bold, too. I am assuming he was referencing Javon. Is there anyone else who you think Mike was thinking about when he made that comment?
I wondered the same. Who else is gone that was here last year? Gold?
DelBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

meh, that sounds like the type of thing you'd tell a free agent.

I just hope this excitement translates to the field.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

i think that also applies to some of the d-linemen who didn't make it to the end of the season.

i like the comments by boss - i think his relationships with champ and dre could really help with the chemistry of the defense.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I wondered about Gold. His alleged tackling skills seemed to deteriorate even more when he found out it was fun to jump on the RBs' back and ride...

Sort of like Bly....

You suppose they scored the rides a la Bull Riding?

Now if they would get a good DT, the rest is available in the draft. One year to train, and then SB!!!!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

I think Shanny is talking about the last couple of years

Gold
Walker
Adams
Rice
Warren
Foster
Bell
Plummer
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Wait, Bailey is playing SLB?

The guy is a WLB. What are your defensive coaches thinking? He's going to get killed by tight ends playing SLB.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post

The guy is a WLB. What are your defensive coaches thinking? He's going to get killed by tight ends playing SLB.
Damn, you are the epitome of a troll...

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=7&season=9

PRO: Bailey is the team’s strongside linebacker, and he provides versatility, having played both inside and outside positions, in the linebacker corps with the use of his speed and talent. As a rookie in 2003, Bailey immediately became the Lions’ starter at strongside linebacker and started all 16 games, emerging as one of the top young linebackers in the NFL and showing the potential to be an all-pro. The Lions took Bailey in the second round with the 34th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Why does that matter? Detroit's defense was terrible.

He's too small to play SLB.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

Bob, before I just take a shot at this, why don't you explain yourself. The article reads that Bailey only gave up one reception to Gates + Gonzales last year - did you read that? Bailey should be much faster and better in coverage than Webster. DJ will most likely be WLB where his speed and open field tackling will be an asset once again.

The question isn't about Bailey (he should be an improvement over Webster), it is about our new guy in the middle - Niko. If he is ready to hit hard in the middle, we have significantly improved our LB corps. Otherwise, plan B isn't too bad if DJ stays in the middle and Winborn takes WLB - he played very well in that spot at the end of last year.

I don't even know where "getting killed by TE's" comes into the equation. Did you read the article?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Why does that matter? Detroit's defense was terrible.

He's too small to play SLB.
6' 3" 235 ? ... you really are an idiot.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

For those who don't live in Denver, here was the video from CBS4 Denver interviewing the Bailey Brothers:

http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=...nc.dayport.com

While you are there, the Lynch interview about him almost leaving, and the Foxworth interview about him understanding he is still expendable are pretty interesting. Check 'em out...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
For those who don't live in Denver, here was the video from CBS4 Denver interviewing the Bailey Brothers:

http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=...nc.dayport.com

While you are there, the Lynch interview about him almost leaving, and the Foxworth interview about him understanding he is still expendable are pretty interesting. Check 'em out...
I'm still curious about the 4.3 - 40 and 46 inch vertical part... I'm sorry but I cannot see Boss Bailey jumping 46 inches...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I don't even know where "getting killed by TE's" comes into the equation. Did you read the article?
I'm talking about in the running game. He's going to get engulfed. And I don't care what he's listed at. The dude has the build of a wide receiver.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I think that statement was probably representative of the last two years, not just last years team.

Gerrad Warren comes to mind.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post

Gold
Walker
Adams
Rice
Warren
Foster
Bell
Plummer
Now, don't be bad-mouthing poor Jake. He always seemed to play his heart out.

Back on topic, I really hope that the Boss addition works out. It's a good story.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
I'm talking about in the running game. He's going to get engulfed. And I don't care what he's listed at. The dude has the build of a wide receiver.
Says the guy built like a tomato.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

"And there's not only a starting spot at strong-side linebacker with his name on it, but an opportunity to play in nickel pass packages as well."

In bold is the most important and curious quote of the article...

Is this indicative of the nickle being composed of DJ and Boss, or has Slowik shared in the same frustration in DJ that Coyer experienced and planning on running Niko/Drafted LB and Boss in the nickle?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
"And there's not only a starting spot at strong-side linebacker with his name on it, but an opportunity to play in nickel pass packages as well."

In bold is the most important and curious quote of the article...

Is this indicative of the nickle being composed of DJ and Boss, or has Slowik shared in the same frustration in DJ that Coyer experienced and planning on running Niko/Drafted LB and Boss in the nickle?
I think it will be the former. I'd guess that the Mike will come out for nickel.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #21
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post

Gold
Walker
Adams
Rice
Warren
Foster
Bell
Plummer

Plummer had more heart and guts than all of those players combined. Jake wanted to win every game.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #22
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Plummer had more heart and guts than all of those players combined. Jake wanted to win every game.
I hear ya there, but his commitment during the offseason and during the week was always questioned. But this is off-topic.

We need a Jake Plummer thread to sort all this out!
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #23
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Before trying to talk with Boob, understand him.

In a 'nutshell':

id·i·ot /ˈɪdiət/ Pronunciation Key
- Show Spelled Pronunciation[id-ee-uht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation,
having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
6' 3" 235 ? ... you really are an idiot.
Every time Bob says something it reveals how incredibly ignorant to football he is. Boss has been slotted as a Sam since he was a draft prospect.

Jake Plummer had all the heart of a lion on Sunday. On Monday through Saturday he wouldn't give a rat's ass about football.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
I'm still curious about the 4.3 - 40 and 46 inch vertical part... I'm sorry but I cannot see Boss Bailey jumping 46 inches...
Those numbers are from the combine. He's been injured a few times since then. Articles and the subsequent threads like these only serve to create disappointment when the season begins. People here honestly believe Boss is going to be some kind of bad ass for us. We'll be lucky if he's average and plays all 16 games.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote