The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Whining Boston fans? Top Ten reasons why everyone is laughing at you!

I can't believe it. Boston sports fans around the country are already reverting back to, "We've suffered for so long! Woe is us!" mode.

I'll admit. I hate Boston sports. And it's without question a 21st Century thing. I was indifferent at worst, passively positive at best as little as five years ago.

Now? Not so much.

With that said, here are my Top Ten reasons most sports fans would like to kick crying, sympathy-seeking Patriots fans in the lower groinal region:

1) They've had an embarrassment of riches of late.

2) Their coach is one of the most hated figures in all of sports.

3) Bill Simmons.

4) Their fans have generally acted like a bunch of douchebags over the last five years.

5) Most Patriots fans are very likely also Red Sox fans. The Red Sox and their fans have achieved something I would have thought to be impossible - they've made people pull for the Yankees.

6) The movie "Fever Pitch"

7) Blatant, unashamed feelings of superiority among their fans (granted, it's very similar to #4, but come on! These people take douchebaggery to previously-unknown heights).

8) Spygate, and the players'/coach's total lack of remorse regarding it.

9) Bill Simmons.

10) Their immediate assumption that they could jump back into the "Woe is us" roll the first time something went wrong.

Let me get this straight. You whine about the pain of being Boston sports fans, the Curse of the Bambino, how you're never rewarded for your loyalty, yadda yadda yadda. You go on and on and on about this. You leverage the universal hatred of the Yankees to help your cause. You get the country pulling for you - especially as it pertains to the Red Sox. And people end up being genuinely happy for you when things finally turn around.

How do you respond? You start thumping your chests and blathering about how Boston fans are superior to those of other teams. You put the word "Nation" behind the name of each of your teams, and you gleefully adopt all the morons that became fans in, oh, the last five years, or so. You smugly and pretentiously go on and on about how other teams' fans "just don't understand" what it's like to win after suffering for so long. For a fan of a team that hasn't won anything in, say, twenty years or so - the joy of winning is cute, but very shallow. For Boston fans, it's poetic. You hypocritically whine about the "Evil Empire" - until you become it.

Then you have the audacity and total lack of self-awareness to revert back to "Woe is me - you don't know what it's like to invest six months of your life, only to be disappointed" mode when your team chokes?

So yeah, most of us would take a sledge hammer to your balls, if we had the chance.

Last edited by DomCasual; 02-16-2008 at 12:09 AM..
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Rep, sir. Rep.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Dukes
Ring of Famer

That pretty much sums it up.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I can't believe it. Boston sports fans around the country are already reverting back to, "We've suffered for so long! Woe is us!" mode.

10) Their immediate assumption that they could jump back into the "Woe is us" roll the first time something went wrong.

Let me get this straight. You whine about the pain of being Boston sports fans, the Curse of the Bambino, how you're never rewarded for your loyalty, yadda yadda yadda. You go on and on and on about this. You leverage the universal hatred of the Yankees to help your cause. You get the country pulling for you - especially as it pertains to the Red Sox. And people end up being genuinely happy for you when things finally turn around.

How do you respond? You start thumping your chests and blathering about how Boston fans are superior to those of other teams. You put the word "Nation" behind the name of each of your teams, and you gleefully adopt all the morons that became fans in, oh, the last five years, or so. You smugly and pretentiously go on and on about how other teams' fans "just don't understand" what it's like to win after suffering for so long. For a fan of a team that hasn't won anything in, say, twenty years or so - the joy of winning is cute, but very shallow. For Boston fans, it's poetic. You hypocritically whine about the "Evil Empire" - until you become it.

Then you have the audacity and total lack of self-awareness to revert back to "Woe is me - you don't know what it's like to invest six months of your life, only to be disappointed" mode when your team chokes?

So yeah, most of us would take a sledge hammer to your balls, if we had the chance.
I said this yesterday. Boston fans are a truly curious lot.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...4&postcount=39
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

rep... What a bunch of b****es. Go 18-1 and they're suddenly "tormented"
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Cry baby Boston fans, ive heard it since i was ten.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Excellent post!
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I'll admit. I hate Boston sports. And it's without question a 21st Century thing. I was indifferent at worst, passively positive at best as little as five years ago.

Now? Not so much.

With that said, here are my Top Ten reasons most sports fans would like to kick crying, sympathy-seeking Patriots fans in the lower groinal region:

1) They've had an embarrassment of riches of late.

2) Their coach is one of the most hated figures in all of sports.

3) Bill Simmons.

4) Their fans have generally acted like a bunch of douchebags over the last five years.

5) Most Patriots fans are very likely also Red Sox fans. The Red Sox and their fans have achieved something I would have thought to be impossible - they've made people pull for the Yankees.

6) The movie "Fever Pitch"

7) Blatant, unashamed feelings of superiority among their fans (granted, it's very similar to #4, but come on! These people take douchebaggery to previously-unknown heights).

8) Spygate, and the players'/coach's total lack of remorse regarding it.

9) Bill Simmons.

How many actual New Englanders do you know?

You make a pretty broad generalization and attach it to a single city within the region, even though the city itself isn't particularly large and all the sports teams live off of the NE region as a whole.

And your "ten reasons"? You reference Bill Simmons twice. So one ****ty media type came from Boston and flaunts it. So? Michael Kay is equally ****ty, he just hasn't gotten a national platform to flaunt it on. Or Whitlock? Len Pasquerelli? Do we blame Minnesota and all the other cities that Sean Sallisbury kicked around with before he got on national tv and shot projectile vomit into our ears?

Fever Pitch? You mean a movie made by people who weren't Red Sox fans and originally planned on it being a portrait of how unhealthy the Sox obsession really was?

The "lovable losers" role also really only applied to Red Sox fans, FYI, because it was the pre-eminent original franchise up until the ownership sold off all the talent in a big money grab through collusion with then Yankees ownership. The Pats were a secondary team for decades and the Celtics are the winningest franchise in NBA history.

Basically you attach the fact that a small but vocal segment of the fanbase is pretentious suburban raised yuppie spawn who feel they deserve everything to the whole.

You want a real top 10 reasons to hate Boston fans? Start with the racism that was long showered on black players in the town. End with the fact that some morons get a kick out of booing their own players when they're in a rut, and have no qualms trying to instigate confrontations with opposing players. Slap a healthy dose of poor sports v. reality awareness in the middle. Bam. You got some great reasons to hate them without a list that doesn't portrait **** other than what some guy in Utah thinks people in New England are all like.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #9
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Arrogance gets it's just reward yet again.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

REP, and I am a die hard Boston Red Sox fan. But my distant cousin is Marty Barrett, and I met him when I was 5 and have been a fan since so please forgive me!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I've been waiting for Drek to get fed up with the Beantown bashing.......
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #12
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
I remember this attitude when we beat them in the playoffs, along with the feeling of superiority. I've never heard so many excuses, how the refs were against them, they were the better team because Brady played better for one quarter, how they should be the ones going to the Championship game. Then how they could have beaten Pittsburgh. It was pathetic.

Last edited by gunns; 02-05-2008 at 10:57 PM..
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #13
Bronco Yoda

My first cousin was a top pick for the RedSox years ago. He threw 90 Mph straight out of high school.

And no, I'm not going to say who he was. He was a total bust and embarrassment on the order of Ryan Leaf.

It's my own slice of heaven knowing they got burnt by this butthead. His dad (my uncle) was and is the biggest POS raider fan you'd ever know. He should have sent his boy to college (had plenty of free ride scholarships) but instead saw dollar signs. He sent him straight into the triple A meat grinder for a few years where he eventually emploded. You know, the kinda jerk who wears pinky diamond rings , bling watches, expensive exotic hunting trips but can't seem to ever afford a home for some odd reason and is always asking for money.

HA!

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 02-05-2008 at 11:01 PM..
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #14
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
How many actual New Englanders do you know?

You make a pretty broad generalization and attach it to a single city within the region, even though the city itself isn't particularly large and all the sports teams live off of the NE region as a whole.

And your "ten reasons"? You reference Bill Simmons twice. So one ****ty media type came from Boston and flaunts it. So? Michael Kay is equally ****ty, he just hasn't gotten a national platform to flaunt it on. Or Whitlock? Len Pasquerelli? Do we blame Minnesota and all the other cities that Sean Sallisbury kicked around with before he got on national tv and shot projectile vomit into our ears?

Fever Pitch? You mean a movie made by people who weren't Red Sox fans and originally planned on it being a portrait of how unhealthy the Sox obsession really was?

The "lovable losers" role also really only applied to Red Sox fans, FYI, because it was the pre-eminent original franchise up until the ownership sold off all the talent in a big money grab through collusion with then Yankees ownership. The Pats were a secondary team for decades and the Celtics are the winningest franchise in NBA history.

Basically you attach the fact that a small but vocal segment of the fanbase is pretentious suburban raised yuppie spawn who feel they deserve everything to the whole.

You want a real top 10 reasons to hate Boston fans? Start with the racism that was long showered on black players in the town. End with the fact that some morons get a kick out of booing their own players when they're in a rut, and have no qualms trying to instigate confrontations with opposing players. Slap a healthy dose of poor sports v. reality awareness in the middle. Bam. You got some great reasons to hate them without a list that doesn't portrait **** other than what some guy in Utah thinks people in New England are all like.
I mentioned Bill Simmons twice because he's a colossal turd.

And you are kidding yourself if you think my opinion is an isolated one. Look at the other comments in this thread. Look at the Boston-related threads that have been started in the last two-and-a-half weeks - let alone the last three days. Do a Google search on "Red Sox," "Patriots," or "Boston Sports." You'll find a mix of the groupie sites, and the forums/blogs/columns written by people that hate them.

And I know lots and lots of New Englanders. My wife served a Mormon mission in Boston, and we have lots of friends there. We visit the area fairly often. With few exceptions, I really like the people up there. I (and, I would guess, the majority of truly passionate sports fans around the country) just loathe the sports fan in them.

You all were much more palatable when you were lovable losers.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
You hypocritically whine about the "Evil Empire" - until you become it.
NAILED IT!!!
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I mentioned Bill Simmons twice because he's a colossal turd.

And you are kidding yourself if you think my opinion is an isolated one. Look at the other comments in this thread. Look at the Boston-related threads that have been started in the last two-and-a-half weeks - let alone the last three days. Do a Google search on "Red Sox," "Patriots," or "Boston Sports." You'll find a mix of the groupie sites, and the forums/blogs/columns written by people that hate them.

And I know lots and lots of New Englanders. My wife served a Mormon mission in Boston, and we have lots of friends there. We visit the area fairly often. With few exceptions, I really like the people up there. I (and, I would guess, the majority of truly passionate sports fans around the country) just loathe the sports fan in them.

You all were much more palatable when you were lovable losers.
I can comment on this. Some old buddies of mine were from New England. My woman is from Boston. One of my co-workers is from Boston. Its not unusual to encounter Boston transplants in Chicago. They are exceedingly obnoxious. Occasionally when Ive stepped out, Ive thrown on a Broncos hat or something...not thinking a lot of it, not really making a statement. And theres been countless times that people have commented on the Broncos. Every time it has been Boston fans. Yes, EVERY TIME.

My woman was out and about this past weekend wearing her Red Sox hat and she encountered some fellow New Englanders who were interested in striking up super bowl talk which she wasnt interested in...so she politely acknowledges their comment hoping to discourage further Patriot talk. Next thing she knows, they started complaining that more people werent all excited about the Patriots. Does someone really need to explain to them that they live in Chicago and not New Hampshire? But thats how they are. They just walk around shoving their **** in everyones face. BTW, my g/f is a Patriots fans on the down-low. She's more of a Bledsoe loyalist and not such a big Brady fan...and she really hates Belichick. But she likes the Red Sox A LOT more than the Patsies.

BTW, if you want to have fun, try going to a mall in Salem, MA wearing Broncos gear. I did one day (a hat I think) and the comments were never ending. I was in MA though. They should keep that **** there though.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #17
Bronco Yoda

Yup!

I don't really think that pats wagonfans really grasp how much their team is hated right now. Sorta like how patswin and co. was saying how cheatergate would be forgotten in a couple of weeks. Total denial.....

I had a small group over (15 people) for a Super Bowl party this year. I recently moved so these people were not really close friends and very diverse in their teams. Every single person hated the pats. besides the goofy couple wearing brand new pats shirts.

This really surprised me. I figured we'd have a few rooting for the perfect season and all.

We even had a Cowboy fan rooting for the Giants. Now you know somethings up with that!

I can't recall a more hated team right now than the Patriots. And most of these people aren't football geeks like us who dwell on the cheating.

The team, their fans..... Al Davis would give his left leg for this kinda hate.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #18
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I met all the New England fans I needed too during the World Series. They trashed my neighborhood. They came, popped their collars, and made a complete ass out of themselves.

No respect. No class.

Karma is a b*tch.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #19
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I met all the New England fans I needed too during the World Series. They trashed my neighborhood. They came, popped their collars, and made a complete ass out of themselves.

No respect. No class.

Karma is a b*tch.
Amen. I went to Game 4 of the World Series at Coors. A good portion of the Red Sox fans there were belligerent drunks. We weren't talking about a small, vocal minority, either. There were definitely more decent, respectful (albeit enthusiastic) ones than not, but it wasn't the majority for which you would hope.

I already didn't like them, so I might have a bias. But I came away from there absolutely loathing them. Again, I like most of the people I know from the New England area. I just don't care for the part of their personalities that come out as it relates to sports.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Amen. I went to Game 4 of the World Series at Coors. A good portion of the Red Sox fans there were belligerent drunks. We weren't talking about a small, vocal minority, either. There were definitely more decent, respectful (albeit enthusiastic) ones than not, but it wasn't the majority for which you would hope.

I already didn't like them, so I might have a bias. But I came away from there absolutely loathing them. Again, I like most of the people I know from the New England area. I just don't care for the part of their personalities that come out as it relates to sports.
Again not all of us are bad. But yes the last time Boston was here for a series it was embarrassing. New Yorkers are just as bad though.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 AM   #21
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

sore Va Jay Jay bean towners
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 AM   #22
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

You forgot to mention them pretending it didn't happen and acting like the Pats didn't exist, like Pre-2002
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #23
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

Quote:

dude you just broke through the secret two-way mirror that is the national sports media... it is chalk-full of boston fans, bellowing their self-important tales of boston woe and boston exhuberance. it's insane to me that a group of people could lack the self consciousness you speak of to the point where they have no humility about talking about their teams ad nauseum to other fans. here are some things I hate about the boston sports media complex/boston nation:

1. bill simmons... one of the grossest humans period
2. simmons' self-oilling jackoff columns
3. peter king's baseball notes, incidentally all red sox
4. aaron schatz of footbal outsiders EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
5. dialogue between schatz and simmons that faux-objectively attempted to minimize spygate
6. chowdah .. .f^ck that
7. the dude on nfl network commercials (joe's diner and prior)
8. ben affleck and matt damon, and their boston sports chauvinism
9. dr. z's mysterious red sox fanhood, despite being a self-proclaimed "new york city boy" in his latest superbowl blog
10. bill simmons, that ALPHA and the OMEGA of all that is evil with subtlety (and no skill)
11. only options available with boston fans/media apologists: 1.) feel my pain or 2). Yup, it's good to be a boston fan these days
12. how both of the above options pressupose universal interest in boston sports
12. most loyal fans? ahem -- those are the bruins over there, remember them?
13. basketball jesus and other stupid monikers, especially with that boston accent
14. bill simmons, the boston sports guy, who ironically REMOVES the word "boston" when he becomes a national web columnist.... ! he's just a regular sports guy like you and me... yup, this is our columnist....
15. vrabel, bruschi and other such lunchpail legends
16. bill simmons, the fvking antichrist...

dom... you brought back my fire.... thank you!! actually, you may have turned me schizophrenic with your post. we willl see. even though i loved seeing brady get his ass kicked, i fear that this whole thing just begins the whine cycle for boston fans and media. they are so ewwwwwwwwwww it just drives me nuts...
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #24
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Read this Chatter, you'll love it!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/080204
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #25
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos