The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Default ESPN Daily Dime: "How West Playoff Matchups would play

Here's a look at how the Western Conference playoffs would shape up, based on Monday's standings. Plenty of room for teams to move up and down here -- Phoenix elevated to No. 5 after these were written -- and we can expect changes in the projected pairings on almost a daily basis.

FIRST ROUND

No. 1. San Antonio Spurs vs. No. 8 Golden State Warriors The Spurs have too much discipline for the Warriors. San Antonio, as usual, is playing its best basketball as the playoffs approach and Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili have not played heavy minutes all season. They also have more depth than ever with the acquisitions of Kurt Thomas and Damon Stoudamire, plus the addition of Ime Udoka to the rotation. They will force the tempo to slow down and their half-court defense will force Golden State into an array of forced shots. (Spurs in 5)

No. 2 Los Angeles Lakers vs. No. 7 Dallas Mavericks

The Lakers now have the most complete offensive team in basketball. As Sunday proved when Kobe Bryant lit up Dallas for 52 points, the Mavs have no answer for Bryant defensively now that Kobe has Pau Gasol's versatility for teams to deal with. If Andrew Bynum returns to the rotation in time for the playoffs, the Lakers size will dominate the Mavs front line. (Lakers In 6)

No. 3 New Orleans Hornets vs No. 6 Phoenix Suns

It is no fluke that the Hornets swept the Suns in four games this season. Chris Paul's eyes light up when he sees the Suns, especially now that Shaquille O'Neal and Amare Stoudemire are the primary pick-and-roll defenders to help Steve Nash try to keep Paul out of the lane.

The Suns have lost their ability to run teams off the floor and they miss Shawn Marion's rebounding, athleticism and defense more than they ever imagined. (Hornets in 6)

No. 4 Utah Jazz vs No. 5 Houston Rockets

This would be very competitive series, despite Yao Ming's absence. The Jazz are 26-3 at home and that will mean a lot in this series. Deron Williams took it to another level in the postseason last spring and is poised for another run.

Houston defends (fourth in points allowed), takes care of the ball (fourth fewest turnovers), and rebounds (second overall), but Tracy McGrady will need more scoring help than this team can provide. (Jazz in 7)

SECOND ROUND

San Antonio vs. Utah Jazz

A rematch of the West finals from a year ago, these teams are mirror images of each other. They both have outstanding point guards in Parker and Deron Williams, dominant big men in Tim Duncan and Carlos Boozer, and a deep complement of role players and shooters. The difference in the series would be Ginobili. He has returned to the form that made him a legit Finals MVP candidate in 2005 and gives the Spurs the additional playmaker down the stretch that Utah lacks. (Spurs in 6)

Los Angeles Lakers vs. New Orleans Hornets

This is all about matchups. The Lakers' ability to negate the size up front of Tyson Chandler and David West with Bynum and Gasol takes away a big part of the Hornets' advantage. The one thing the Hornets lack is a big, athletic wing defender to use on Bryant.

He will put up big numbers.Paul is special but at least the Lakers have two solid defenders in Derek Fisher and Jordan Farmar to chase Paul around all night. Finally, the biggest problem for N.O. Will be Lamar Odom in the post and off the dribble against Peja Stojakovic. Hornets aren't quite ready for this kind of leap. (Lakers in 6)

WEST FINALS

San Antonio vs. Los Angeles Lakers

It is awfully difficult to pick against the Spurs with a Finals appearance on the line, but it's Kobe's year in the West. For much of the same reasons that they match up well with the Hornets, the Lakers have an answer at every position to combat the Spurs' balance offensively.

Ultimately, it will hinge on which team makes plays down the stretch and Kobe Bryant is unmatched in crunch-time situations. Gasol's addition was the piece that put the Lakers over the top. Duncan won't be able to rest against the likes of Kwame Brown or Chris Mihm. He will have to work. As will Ginobili against Kobe. The Lakers finally break through without Shaq, and Phil Jackson gets a shot at his tenth ring. (Lakers in 7)
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

The Suns are dead IMO.

They cant just score their way to the championship.

And no one is getting past SA.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch Mob72 View Post
The Suns are dead IMO.

They cant just score their way to the championship.

And no one is getting past SA.
Looks like the Shaq trade is turning out to be just the sort of mistake a lot of us said it would be for the Suns.

The Lakers have a shot against SA, IMO, but I'm not as confident as the guy who wrote this article seems to be.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Looks like the Shaq trade is turning out to be just the sort of mistake a lot of us said it would be for the Suns.

The Lakers have a shot against SA, IMO, but I'm not as confident as the guy who wrote this article seems to be.
The Lakers do have a good shot.

But in the end i think SA comes out on top.

They coast threw the regular season then wake up come playoff time.

They play better team defense then LA i think.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

I think this thread is two guys just talking and filling the air with useless nonsense because right now I don't think there is a clear favorite and the seeds change daily.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
I think this thread is two guys just talking and filling the air with useless nonsense because right now I don't think there is a clear favorite and the seeds change daily.
The West is crazy like that. Any of the top teams can lose 3 straight and drop 4 or 5 seeds. I think the road goes through SA because they're the champs and they're in it year in and year out. I'm pulling for the Lakers but all 8 playoff teams have their work cut out for them.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Lakers - first in the west, baby!