The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
pricejj
jungle

Default 2017 Broncos FA: salary cap update

If the Broncos re-sign McManus and Ward next offseason, I estimate that they only have about $23.58M in remaining cap space over the next two years to sign FA's
Attached Images

Last edited by pricejj; 03-20-2017 at 08:33 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Thanks Price. Appreciate all the work.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
pricejj
jungle

Projected starting lineup. Broncos currently have 8 former Pro Bowlers (highlighted in orange).
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Thanks Price. Appreciate all the work.
I like doing it. Peters/Thomas remain an option, but it would be a thin stretch.
1. Cutting Stephenson/Green would save $9.8M over the next two years.
2. Maybe they sign Romo to $8M per year, saving an additional $8M over the next two years.
3. They could cut C.J. Anderson in 2018, saving an additional $4.5M.
4. Maybe they won't re-sign T.J. Ward in 2018, saving an additional ~$5M.

If they do all that, they could afford Peters/Thomas with a little rollover. However, I consider that unlikely. We'll see.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Thanks for all your work, price. Romo kills cap space for next year too it seems. Just a bad idea.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Thanks for all your work, price. Romo kills cap space for next year too it seems. Just a bad idea.
Cap space doesn't win championships, great QB's do.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I would bet Walker signs with Broncos and starts over Peko. I think it's a no brainer now that we select a Tackle in the first round. My guess is though, we don't stay at #20. We move up to get one of the better ones. Just can't afford not to. If it costs us a 2nd or 3rd round pick, then so be it. We just can't afford to not get a great Tackle in this draft. I think Ward is definitely gone next year. Simmons will be ready to start.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Takes more than a QB. There were 10 great QB's who didn't win the Superbowl last year, or the year before that, or the year before that, and so on and so on.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #9
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Trump is human garbage

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Sloter

That projected OL...

Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #10
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I would bet Walker signs with Broncos and starts over Peko. I think it's a no brainer now that we select a Tackle in the first round. My guess is though, we don't stay at #20. We move up to get one of the better ones. Just can't afford not to. If it costs us a 2nd or 3rd round pick, then so be it. We just can't afford to not get a great Tackle in this draft. I think Ward is definitely gone next year. Simmons will be ready to start.
I just can't see Elway moving up. It's a monstrously good draft at every position except QB and O line. DEN doesn't have a 5th and only an extra 3rd. They will need every top pick in this draft and Elway has got to hit on them this time.
I don't think he can afford to move up, unless he dips into next years picks.
Ugh. DEN got screwed with comp picks. Pure BS.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #11
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Good stuff price, really enjoy it.
IndelibleScribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #12
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Will Parks

Quote:
His current cap number has no relevance if he's released.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
His current cap number has no relevance if he's released.
Price is accounting for Romo's rumored 12 mil salary the Broncos have potentially earmarked for him.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #14
FireFly
Ring of Famer

We're a season away

Quote:
Takes more than a QB. There were 10 great QB's who didn't win the Superbowl last year, or the year before that, or the year before that, and so on and so on.
But a great QB did win the SB. The year before as well, and the year before that.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bennie Fowler

Quote:
IF they're able to stay on the field it certainly helps...cap killer if on injured reserve.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I wouldn't trade a big asset for one. We don't know if he'll be any good, or when he'll be good. Keep your assets. No more of this trading a third to move up two spots
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #17
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Which is why I'd be upset if they signed him for more than 8 million per year. I'd hope to get him at around 6 million.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #18
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
1. This spreadsheet includes Tony Romo at $12M per year.
2. I faked numbers for Kerr and Edebali (N/A at this time)

I project that the Broncos DO NOT have the salary cap capital for an $11M per year LT (Thomas, Peters) plus Romo. Dunlap remains a possibility, but I think Stephenson is better at LT. Therefore, I consider it highly likely that the Broncos pick an LT at #20 in the draft, and have that player compete with Stephenson for snaps.
Solution: Make Romo prove he really wants to play for the Broncos by lowering base to $7-8 mil, and he can make it up with incentives for staying healthy.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:32 AM   #19
pricejj
jungle

You're right. There is quite often an easy solution to everything. Broncos could have Romo agree to an incentive laden contract, trade for Peters, draft a 1st round CB, and cut Stephenson.

2018 cap problem solved.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:02 AM   #20
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I wouldn't trade a big asset for one. We don't know if he'll be any good, or when he'll be good. Keep your assets. No more of this trading a third to move up two spots
I don't know any GM that is going to give up a 3rd to move up 2 spots, yes, that would be insane. Draft calculators say that's a bad move. But if you trade a 4th, you could move up 2 spots in the 1st round. If we wanted to move up 5 spots to pick at #15, we would have to swap 1st rounds and give up our 3rd round comp (#101).

That said, we probably won't have to move up to get either Bowles, Robinson or Ramczyk. Most mock drafts have all 3 going between 20-25. I'm pretty confident at the very least 1 of them will be there at #20.

I just can't see Elway passing on one of those guys if they are there. We have a Superbowl caliber defense and the Broncos just can't afford to be near the bottom of the league in blocking any longer. Not with the huge questions marks we have on the OL right now. No way.

Unless there is some OT they like in the 2nd round, I don't know, that's possible I guess. But I don't see a 2nd or 3rd round OT coming in and starting, you might as well roll with Stephenson at LT.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 AM   #21
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
I don't know any GM that is going to give up a 3rd to move up 2 spots, yes, that would be insane. Draft calculators say that's a bad move. But if you trade a 4th, you could move up 2 spots in the 1st round. If we wanted to move up 5 spots to pick at #15, we would have to swap 1st rounds and give up our 3rd round comp (#101).

That said, we probably won't have to move up to get either Bowles, Robinson or Ramczyk. Most mock drafts have all 3 going between 20-25. I'm pretty confident at the very least 1 of them will be there at #20.

I just can't see Elway passing on one of those guys if they are there. We have a Superbowl caliber defense and the Broncos just can't afford to be near the bottom of the league in blocking any longer. Not with the huge questions marks we have on the OL right now. No way.

Unless there is some OT they like in the 2nd round, I don't know, that's possible I guess. But I don't see a 2nd or 3rd round OT coming in and starting, you might as well roll with Stephenson at LT.
I think Robinson being rated that low is BS. No reason for him to not go in the top 10. He's too good to slip unless GM's are on some ****.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:19 AM   #22
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Thanks Price. Don't see how Virgil makes the team at $3M. He's gone if he doesn't take a paycut.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #23
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
I like doing it. Peters/Thomas remain an option, but it would be a thin stretch.
1. Cutting Stephenson/Green would save $9.8M over the next two years.
2. Maybe they sign Romo to $8M per year, saving an additional $8M over the next two years.
3. They could cut C.J. Anderson in 2018, saving an additional $4.5M.
4. Maybe they won't re-sign T.J. Ward in 2018, saving an additional ~$5M.

If they do all that, they could afford Peters/Thomas with a little rollover. However, I consider that unlikely. We'll see.
I would much rather roll with Peters + Siemian/Lynch than Romo + current LT situation.

Have we any word on the Broncos looking to restructure Green - they usually try that before outright release.

CJ's deal is all salary, so I could see cut/restructure next year.

I think it's highly likely that Ward is gone after his contract is up (last year 2017).
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #24
MamaMia
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Thanks Price. Don't see how Virgil makes the team at $3M. He's gone if he doesn't take a paycut.
Really? Is he not our most complete TE?

I like Hueurman's potential more than most but you have to be cautious in trusting him to last a full season. Derby seems alright as a receiver but can he block?

3 mil isnt a lot for Virgil imo
MamaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #25
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
Really? Is he not our most complete TE?

I like Hueurman's potential more than most but you have to be cautious in trusting him to last a full season. Derby seems alright as a receiver but can he block?

3 mil isnt a lot for Virgil imo
Green was already losing snaps to Heuerman/Derby in the 2nd half of the season and his blocking was poor.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote