The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #201
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Thanks to the Avalanche for bumping up Rob Blake's trade value to the Detroit Dead Things.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #202
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

the avs should have never let Blake go
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #203
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I don't think its as much of us not giving any effort but other teams having more talent..its catching up to us..when your top 2 was 3 players aren't playing thats taking away quite a bit..i am getting sick of getting shutout by the wings everytime we play them...its like everytime we play them now its an automatic shutout..it'd help if we could win a damn face off or get a power play goal..sometimes i wonder if we even practice the way we play!!
Absolute nonsense.

The west is ripe with mediocrity. It wasn't too much more than a week ago that the Avs were fourth, or fifth in the standings. When a team is collectively skating with cement in their boots it shows a tremendous lack of effort. They got stomped by St. Louis...lost with a pathetic performance against the 'Hawks, and did their best impressions of cones for the Red Wings tonight. This is the worst they've looked, and it's because they're not playing hard. Tay-o-door has been left on an island.

I like Wolski, but he's due for another scratching. Right now he's the epitome of a floater. Parker needs to play more. The last I heard he had the flu, and wasn't injured. Scratch McCleod...he's going to be a good pest type...but he needs a break...the penalty he took tonight was stupid. Then again the whole chain of events wouldn't have happened if the refs wouldn't have missed an absurdly obvious high sticking, but that's neither here nor there.

The season's not lost yet, but they really have been playing like complete **** lately. It's not the fact that they've lost four in a row that bothers me...it's how they've lost.

Three goals in four games and you think this team is putting forth a strong effort? They're not skating hard...it's as simple as that. They're lucky they didn't lose to the Wings by 15 the way they played tonight.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #204
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
The season's not lost yet
Yeah, it kinda is...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #205
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Thanks to the Avalanche for bumping up Rob Blake's trade value to the Detroit Dead Things.
if not for the flagrant elbow, it'd have been a clean hit, regardless of what the idiot ref told lappy. unfortunately, the retribution will have to come next year since the series sweep is complete.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #206
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
if not for the flagrant elbow, it'd have been a clean hit, regardless of what the idiot ref told lappy. unfortunately, the retribution will have to come next year since the series sweep is complete.
I thought Lappy got the snot kicked out of him in a fight?

Anyway hopefully Holland is on the phone with the Kings GM Dean Lombardi about Rob Blake and the conversation involves Kindl.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #207
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Absolute nonsense.

The west is ripe with mediocrity. It wasn't too much more than a week ago that the Avs were fourth, or fifth in the standings. When a team is collectively skating with cement in their boots it shows a tremendous lack of effort. They got stomped by St. Louis...lost with a pathetic performance against the 'Hawks, and did their best impressions of cones for the Red Wings tonight. This is the worst they've looked, and it's because they're not playing hard. Tay-o-door has been left on an island.

I like Wolski, but he's due for another scratching. Right now he's the epitome of a floater. Parker needs to play more. The last I heard he had the flu, and wasn't injured. Scratch McCleod...he's going to be a good pest type...but he needs a break...the penalty he took tonight was stupid. Then again the whole chain of events wouldn't have happened if the refs wouldn't have missed an absurdly obvious high sticking, but that's neither here nor there.

The season's not lost yet, but they really have been playing like complete **** lately. It's not the fact that they've lost four in a row that bothers me...it's how they've lost.

Three goals in four games and you think this team is putting forth a strong effort? They're not skating hard...it's as simple as that. They're lucky they didn't lose to the Wings by 15 the way they played tonight.
We don't have enough talent on the ice to keep up with a team like Detroit or Anihiem period, i'm sure part of it is effort but how long do you really expect guys like Mcloed to keep playing at that high of a level before they get burnt out..before are top three went down i hadn't even heard of some of these guys..bottom line is right now other teams just have more talent on the ice...when Stastny, Sakic and Smyth are all healthy at the sametime i guarantee things look a lot different and were scoring more than 1 goal a game...i'm gonna go out on a limb and say we win the Division and take the 3rd seed..just being optimistic. The season is far from over!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #208
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Hah! Dumbass.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #209
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
We don't have enough talent on the ice to keep up with a team like Detroit or Anihiem period, i'm sure part of it is effort but how long do you really expect guys like Mcloed to keep playing at that high of a level before they get burnt out..before are top three went down i hadn't even heard of some of these guys..bottom line is right now other teams just have more talent on the ice...when Stastny, Sakic and Smyth are all healthy at the sametime i guarantee things look a lot different and were scoring more than 1 goal a game...i'm gonna go out on a limb and say we win the Division and take the 3rd seed..just being optimistic. The season is far from over!!
I understand where you're coming from. Of course the injuries have taken their toll. My point is that during this losing streak the Avs have been skating. They've been playing undisciplined and uninspired hockey.

The mediocrity in the west will keep them in things, but they have to play like every point counts.

We'll see what happens in the next week or so...after the deadline et al.

Saying that the Avalanche should put out a full page ad apologizing for that bull **** performance they put on last night.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #210
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. Of course the injuries have taken their toll. My point is that during this losing streak the Avs have been skating. They've been playing undisciplined and uninspired hockey.

The mediocrity in the west will keep them in things, but they have to play like every point counts.

We'll see what happens in the next week or so...after the deadline et al.

Saying that the Avalanche should put out a full page ad apologizing for that bull **** performance they put on last night.
I agree the last 4 games have been pretty pitaful to say the least..we score 6 against Vancouver and then all of a sudden we go on a scoring drought...on the avs official site they were saying there were scouts at the last chicago game and i guess they were talking about Brunette..depending on what the avs get i don't think we could really get anything to replace him..i think he picks it back up when the big 3 are all back..when your the 1st or 2nd best player on the line the top defensive player is going after that guy..kinda why i think Hejduk is in a bit of a slump..another reason why when we get Stastny and Sakic back we start scoring more goals..they wont be able to key in on 1 guy on every line cause lets face it..guys like Guite dont really scare anyone!!

BTW: i think the west has a nudge on the east...much better goaltending in the west...Turco, Giegure, Kiprisoff, Nabokov, Luango, Backstrom, Haskek, Osgood, Legacy and Theo since January...notice all those goalies teams are in the top 3 in their division except the Avs.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #211
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Hah! Dumbass.
Got me there, dude!

Games like that one only reinforce the fact that the Avs have relegated their 'rival' status with the Wings and taken up the mantle of 'slump buster'.

Seriously, thanks for giving Lidstrom a much needed rest and thanks for helping aaron downey move further up the heavyweight rung...

Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #212
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I thought Lappy got the snot kicked out of him in a fight?

Anyway hopefully Holland is on the phone with the Kings GM Dean Lombardi about Rob Blake and the conversation involves Kindl.
i don't see kindl going anywhere but i bet a guy like hudler and maybe quincey. damn, i wish we had max kuznetsov on our roster and this was 2003...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 AM   #213
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Got me there, dude!

Games like that one only reinforce the fact that the Avs have relegated their 'rival' status with the Wings and taken up the mantle of 'slump buster'.

Seriously, thanks for giving Lidstrom a much needed rest and thanks for helping aaron downey move further up the heavyweight rung...

You're clearly retarded, or at least slow. In your previous post you said that Lappy's hit was dirty, (only the knobs on the Detroit bench, and knuckle heads like you think it was suspect. NO ONE wants to see a guy like Lidstrom hurt, but he didn't protect himself, and he got smoked.)...Then you said that Lappy would have to pay the price next year when he'd already got jumped, and beaten cleanly by Downey. Now you have the stones to say that Downey is moving up the heavy weight ranks? I understand that the Redwings are a glorified ice capades team, but you have to reel things in just a bit. Lappy isn't a heavyweight, and he really doesn't win a lot of fights. He'll just go with anyone. Cripes...it's just like a dead wings fan to look down their noses when they have one of the cheapest players in the league on their roster in Maltby. At least guys like Ruutu, Avery, Tucker, and Lappy will throw down. The Wings are bringing back that drunk McCarty, and counting on Downey for their toughness.

Whatever Bambi.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #214
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

A much better effort from the Avs tonight. Interesting how with the Sheriff dressed the Ducks didn't take any liberties.

Hopefully they'll skate harder, and get the same outstanding goaltending next time out.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 AM   #215
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
i don't see kindl going anywhere but i bet a guy like hudler and maybe quincey. damn, i wish we had max kuznetsov on our roster and this was 2003...
Long as it involves a first round pick, this draft is loaded with solid Defensemen.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #216
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Long as it involves a first round pick, this draft is loaded with solid Defensemen.

you do know that kindl is -24 this year, right? have a look at ericsson, he's been called up with rafalski, lidstrom, and kronner on the shelf. he's a converted forward and has some better than average up side.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #217
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avs need to score at trade deadline

When the NHL general managers met the past week in Naples, Fla., keeping alive their streak of always meeting in places suitable for golf clubs (year-round), the discussion included whether to: a) further scale down goalies' equipment; and, b) expand the regular-season schedule to 84 games, tying it to a reduction in exhibition games.

They didn't make any official recommendations on either, perhaps because they were too busy jockeying for position as the countdown to the Tuesday trading deadline continued.

Two post-lockout season realities have changed the nature of the pre-deadline hysteria.

One, the deadline is considerably earlier than it used to be, when teams could have only about a dozen games remaining and more GMs could justify fire sales because they were out of the running for a playoff spot. In the final season under the former collective bargaining agreement, 2003-04, the Avalanche had 13 games remaining at the trading deadline; this season, Colorado will have 19.

Two, the comparative parity or mass mediocrity, camouflaged in a misleading standings system that enables most teams to claim to be "above .500" also comes into play, along with the timing.

Definite sellers?

Los Angeles, which already dealt defenseman Jaroslav Modry to the Flyers last Tuesday. Edmonton. Chicago. Tampa Bay. Florida. Probably Atlanta. And ... well ... maybe ...

It could change in the next few days.

Contract situations complicate matters, of course, with winger Marian Hossa continuing to sound like a guy determined to get out of Atlanta either now or in the summer; and Buffalo defenseman Brian Campbell seemingly determined to at least check into the free-agent market in the summer after seeing what it did for former teammates Chris Drury and Daniel Briere last year. He and agent Larry Kelly again turned down a Sabres offer in the past week.

Olli Jokinen probably is about to become an ex-Florida
Blog Panther.

Another intriguing possibility might be that, after nearly three seasons of cap hockey, the Tampa Bay Lightning has figured out that even with the cap going up tying up so much of its payroll in deals for Vinny Lecavalier, Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis isn't working.

If all three stay, their combined cap numbers will be $19.8 million next season. Richards is locked up at $7.8 million a season through 2010-11, and the Lightning at least will be listening to offers for him, in part because the indispensable Lecavalier's deal is up after next season and he will need to be re-signed presumably at a salary more than the $7.17 million he will get in 2008-09.

St. Louis is signed through 2010-11, but his deal was front-loaded, so he will make less in each of the next three seasons than his $5.25 million cap number.

And what of the Avalanche?

The decisions facing GM Francois Giguere are intriguing because of the many subplots. Just think how embarrassing, not to mention financially troublesome, it will be for the Kroenke Sports operation if neither the Avalanche nor Nuggets make the playoffs. That's a lot of blocked-off, provisional dates that are dark. That's a lot of lost revenue. And consider that the Avalanche already announced that tickets prices are going up again next season.

Wasn't it interesting that season-ticket holders were told that if they committed to renew for next season by Friday or four days before the trading deadline they will pay regular-season prices for their seats in this year's playoffs ... if the Avs make it?

That means the Kroenke Sports folks already have at least a hint of how much their season-ticket base might further diminish for next season. And maybe about how desperate they want Giguere to be as he seeks a means to strengthen the Avs' chances of just making the playoffs, which might stem a bit of the bleeding.

On Tuesday morning, the Avs still will be at least mathematically in the running for a postseason berth. They still should make a run at Hossa.

Colorado managed to stay in the hunt without Joe Sakic, Paul Stastny and Ryan Smyth, and Sakic's return in the next few days will get Colorado back to full strength. But that shouldn't be a justification for inertia. This team, and even Denver as a hockey market, needs a jolt.
SPOTLIGHT ON . . .

Mats Sundin, C, Maple Leafs

As the trading deadline approaches, the Maple Leafs veteran center holds all the cards.

He is perceived as a valuable commodity, capable of being a difference-maker in a team's attempt to advance deep into the playoffs or make them altogether.

He has a no-trade clause, meaning he has what amounts to approval power over any deal.

And he can be an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Maple Leafs, one of the few teams in the league out of the running for a playoff spot, and interim general manager Cliff Fletcher have sounded him out about which teams he would be willing to join.

It seems likely Sundin will be dealt before the Tuesday 1 p.m. deadline.

The question is how much risk a team is willing to take and how much a team is willing to pay to rent Sundin for the stretch run, without assurances of being able to re-sign him.

Last season, the Islanders and Thrashers gave up a lot for Ryan Smyth and Keith Tkachuk, respectively, and Smyth passed on the Islanders' attempts to re-sign him. Tkachuk re-signed with the Blues.

Sundin, who has had a terrific season amid the chaos in Toronto, is worth the shot. His no-trade clause is a bit of a defense mechanism; if it's a team or place he would abhor and wouldn't consider next season, he probably won't approve even a rental appearance there.

If this were a horse race, I'd make the Red Wings the 5-2 favorites to land him.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #218
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Might want to add the Flyers to the sellers list.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:46 AM   #219
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Might want to add the Flyers to the sellers list.
I heard the Avs might trade Liles or Brunette or both..who if anyone do you think the Avs pick up..we need someone if we want to make a serious run!!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 AM   #220
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
I heard the Avs might trade Liles or Brunette or both..who if anyone do you think the Avs pick up..we need someone if we want to make a serious run!!
Rob Blake. TJ Hesnick and a first ought to do it.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #221
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Rob Blake. TJ Hesnick and a first ought to do it.
Thats what i'm hoping for cause our D lost us the game tonight..he'd help a lot on the PP and be an enforcer out on the ice..something we lack a bit!!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 AM   #222
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Thats what i'm hoping for cause our D lost us the game tonight..he'd help a lot on the PP and be an enforcer out on the ice..something we lack a bit!!
Yeah the rumors right now are the Avalanche, Sharks, and the dreaded Ducks are all rumored to want Blake. So we will find out in a couple days, it's expected that Blake will waive his NTC soon. Then again they said the same thing about Sundin before he announced he is NOT waiving his NTC.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #223
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Yeah the rumors right now are the Avalanche, Sharks, and the dreaded Ducks are all rumored to want Blake. So we will find out in a couple days, it's expected that Blake will waive his NTC soon. Then again they said the same thing about Sundin before he announced he is NOT waiving his NTC.
How can the Ducks have anymore cap space for anyone..my god...they'll have a fricken all-star team if they get blake..they already have pronger, both niedermires, selanne, getzlaf, J.S. Gigiure etc. Why'd we get rid of him in the first place??
Old 02-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #224
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default ADAM fOOTE IS BACK

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8367880

And also trade for Ruslan Salei......

CALGARY, ALBERTA Inside the Avalanche dressing room at the Pengrowth Saddledome this afternoon, the buzz was palpable.

One day after the Avs got Peter Forsberg back, they re-acquired another longtime player and fan favorite, Adam Foote. The Avs acquired the 36-year-old Foote from the Columbus Blue Jackets for a conditional draft choice, and further bolstered their defense by acquiring Ruslan Salei from Florida in exchange for Karlis Skrastins.

Foote, who left the Avs for Columbus as a free agent in 2005, was slated to land in Calgary around 5:30 tonight, and the Avs are hoping he will make it to the arena on time to suit up against the Calgary Flames in an important divisional game.

"For me and everyone that's played with Adam, we're excited that he's coming back," Avs captain Joe Sakic said. "We know he missed it in Denver, and it's going to be great to have him come back. He's a presence in the dressing room and on the ice."

The Avs will give the Blue Jackets a first-round draft pick in this year's draft if they make the playoffs. If they don't, they'll give Columbus their first-round pick in 2009. Foote can be an unrestricted free agent after the season. He waived his no-trade clause to come back to Colorado, and was said to be ecstatic about coming back.

"(Avs GM Francois Giguere) spoke to Footer, and Footer is thrilled to be back here," Avs coach Joel Quenneville said. "We know we've got a stabilizing defenseman who can play big minutes and matchup minutes, in key situations."

About Salei, a 33-year-old blueliner known as a tough player with some offensive skill, Quenneville said: "He's got some good presence with the puck, and some skill on the back end. He's one more puck-moving defenseman that we could use."

While Foote was on his way to Calgary, the Avs did not say when Forsberg would arrive with the team yet. Forsberg, signed Monday to a prorated, $5 million contract for the rest of the season, will not play tonight and is not expected to play Wednesday night in Vancouver, either. There was hope he might be able to play Saturday against the Los Angeles Kings at the Pepsi Center, but a lot will depend on how he feels after skating with the team in practice.

Avs left winger Ryan Smyth called the return acquisitions of Forsberg and Foote "A sign that management wants to win now."

"I hate playing against a guy like Adam Foote, so to have him on your team is a great thing," Smyth said. "He adds so much on the ice as a physical presence and in the locker room too. We know we have 19 games left, and it's important that we play every game like a playoff game."

Asked if he thought Forsberg still had the ability to play at a high level in the NHL, Sakic said: "Well, a few years ago he missed the whole season and came back and led the playoffs in scoring. So, I'm sure if he says he can play still, he'll be fine."

Adrian Dater: 303-954-1360 or adater@denverpost.c
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #225
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Good moves for the Avs. Forsberg really is a low risk pick up in that they didn't have to give anything up for him. I say limit his minutes, and sort of make him a power play specialist...until the playoffs.

Salei is solid, and Foote brings a lot of meanness on the ice with him. Something the Avs have lacked since they lost both he and Rob Blake. The price is steep, but they should be able to re-sign him since he waived his no trade clause ONLY for the Avs. Apparently he's going to play tonight.