The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,989

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default The Defense Is Soft.

Hey, it's another opinion on today's debacle. Who woulda thought?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler
 
goldengopher1976's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 735

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default

Can Champ play DT?
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
OrangeShadow
armed
 
and dangerous

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,757
Default

biggest reason was the Linebackers not being able to cover those 15 yard routes
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
The Chiefs Suck

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,507

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
biggest reason was the Linebackers not being able to cover those 15 yard routes
Yup. Ian Gold was regularly seen running in the tight end's wake. DJ also really struggled to fill a gap and was guessing out there. He needs to just fly to his gap and hold his own.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
GoBroncos0838
Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 53
Default

On the commercial breaks, I caught the Oakland / Cleveland game... G. Warren was a beast out there. He was stuffing the hole and putting pressure on the QB... why did we trade him? He would have been the best player on our line this year! (Next to DOOM!)
GoBroncos0838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer
 
Nothing lasts forever.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dove Valley
Posts: 5,838

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

So is the offensive line. I think the psyche of the entire team is soft as well. That's why mistakes start to compound -- e.g. fumbling at the worst moment.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director
 
wolf754life's Avatar
 
Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,056

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious
Default

charmin soft, rice has no heart, adams is too lazy, gold is a midget, teams love smashing us in the face, right in the ****ing face, the D is small and full of pussies!
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
sgbfan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,287
Default

And the toughest player we have on Defense was out for most of the game. . . I think the Defense really missed Lynch a lot today, especially all those runs by Gerrard. I think Gerrard's running lost us the game, and made our Defense look really bad.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,989

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

How many times were there broken tackles? How many times did Fred Jones bull into somebody (or multiple people) and push them forward for extra yards? More than I'd like to recount. But it happened a lot. Very disheartening.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

Yep, Warren had a sack and a forced fumble. I'm still not sure why we thought he'd be of no use to us, even in a rotation.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer
 
Nothing lasts forever.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dove Valley
Posts: 5,838

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Yep, Warren had a sack and a forced fumble. I'm still not sure why we thought he'd be of no use to us, even in a rotation.
Why is that guys like Warren and Pryce play well for other teams but struggle here? I mean Pryce wasn't half the player he was last year in any of his final 3 seasons in Denver.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos0838 View Post
On the commercial breaks, I caught the Oakland / Cleveland game... G. Warren was a beast out there. He was stuffing the hole and putting pressure on the QB... why did we trade him? He would have been the best player on our line this year! (Next to DOOM!)
He was motivated because he was facing his old team. I'm sure next week he'll fall and punch himself in the d1ck again.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis
 
Broncobiv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
I'm sure next week he'll fall and punch himself in the d1ck again.
Oh man that's hilarious! I just had a visual in my head of what that would actually look like!
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

There came a point in time in this game which I was looking forward to the next commercial break to see if they were debuting a new Halo 3 "Believe" commercial.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #15
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis
 
Broncobiv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
There came a point in time in this game which I was looking forward to the next commercial break to see if they were debuting a new Halo 3 "Believe" commercial.
Speaking of that...in the commercial that's like a model battle scene, in the last shot, the Halo marine guy is holding a little glowing ball. I've never played the games, so I don't get it. What is it? Some sort of nuke? How does it play into the storyline of the games?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #16
-Slap-
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 31,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
And the toughest player we have on Defense was out for most of the game. . . I think the Defense really missed Lynch a lot today, especially all those runs by Gerrard. I think Gerrard's running lost us the game, and made our Defense look really bad.
Exactly. With Lynch on the bench, there is literally NOBODY on our defense who can put the fear of God into anybody tougher than Eddie Kennison.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #17
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,850

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

I saw bits and pieces of your game...that stiff arm Taylor threw in Bly's chest while he ran him over was pretty tough.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #18
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep
 
Bronco_Beerslug's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas Riviera, Southern Mountains
Posts: 24,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
And the toughest player we have on Defense was out for most of the game. . . I think the Defense really missed Lynch a lot today, especially all those runs by Gerrard. I think Gerrard's running lost us the game, and made our Defense look really bad.
That's because the smallest player on the field ran him into the ground and hurt him.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #19
Malcontent
Life....on tap.
 
Malcontent's Avatar
 
Got Mustard?

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,915

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beerslug View Post
That's because the smallest player on the field ran him into the ground and hurt him.
Yep..and then Gold did his usual pile on after the tackle, so coaches would think he was in on the play. I saw that a few times today.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #20
yavoon
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Yep..and then Gold did his usual pile on after the tackle, so coaches would think he was in on the play. I saw that a few times today.
haha
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #21
-Slap-
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 31,806
Default

I can quote a dozen posts of mine saying our linebackers were going to be among the worst in football this season and ten dozen responses telling me I was crazy. How many teams that run a 4-3 base have a worse unit than we do right now? Hell, just look within the division. The second rate teams from Oakland and Kansas City both have far superior linebacking corps. Anyone who believes differently is a hopeless homer. Seriously, the only AFC team who has linebackers that are obviously worse than Denver's would be the Bengals, and that's mainly because Odell Thurman can't stay out of the slam.

DJ Williams is the only starting LB worth inviting back next season and realistically, we should probably cut bait on him, too. Let him start over fresh somewhere else. We drafted this kid fully aware that he was primarily an exceptional athlete, but he was somewhat lacking in the cerebral side of the game. We take that information and make the kid play three different positions, in two different schemes, in a four year span.

I hope management has learned a lesson. I realize you can't repair everything wrong with a team in one off season, but the nonchalance they showed in addessing the LBs was disturbing. Especially since the unit had basically underachieved over the last few years and was losing Al Wilson, by far the best LB on the team. Did they really believe they could sign retread Warrick Holdman and call it good? They were so impressed with that guy, they didn't even bother replacing him on the roster until a month after he got hurt.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

The Defense Is Soft .... as a ...
One cheek is Amon ("this year's Cornell Journeyman Green") Gordon, and the other cheek is Marcus ("can you believe I'm playing this much as a rusty raw rookie?") Thomas. .... so soooooft ... ahhhh.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #23
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep
 
Bronco_Beerslug's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas Riviera, Southern Mountains
Posts: 24,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
I can quote a dozen posts of mine saying our linebackers were going to be among the worst in football this season and ten dozen responses telling me I was crazy. How many teams that run a 4-3 base have a worse unit than we do right now? Hell, just look within the division. The second rate teams from Oakland and Kansas City both have far superior linebacking corps. Anyone who believes differently is a hopeless homer. Seriously, the only AFC team who has linebackers that are obviously worse than Denver's would be the Bengals, and that's mainly because Odell Thurman can't stay out of the slam.

DJ Williams is the only starting LB worth inviting back next season and realistically, we should probably cut bait on him, too. Let him start over fresh somewhere else. We drafted this kid fully aware that he was primarily an exceptional athlete, but he was somewhat lacking in the cerebral side of the game. We take that information and make the kid play three different positions, in two different schemes, in a four year span.

I hope management has learned a lesson. I realize you can't reapir everything wrong with a team in one off season, but the nonchalance they showed in addessing the LBs was disturbing. Especially since the unit had basically underachieved over the last few years and was losing Al Wilson, by far the best LB on the team. Did they really believe they could sign retread Warrick Holdman and call it good? They were so impressed with that guy, they didn't even bother replacing him on the roster until a month after he got hurt.
Well, I've been saying for 4 years we need to address the Safety problem on this team and losing Al Wilson was a huge blow!
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #24
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Your points are very well taken, Slap, but you forget that Nate is only on the field 2 of 3 downs at most, and was second on the team in tackles coming into today. He blew end containment twice today (once when he was unblocked), but he might be the least of our worries imo.

DJ has underacheived at Mike quite often thusfar, but he's plenty enough an athlete to run to the ball and tackle. The Jags didn't run much tricky mis-direction like Dallas did in the pre-season when they embarrassed DJ and the whole D.

I know you'll agree that trading up in the 1st round for a decade-plus franchise LB was what we shouldda done ... and ALSO trade for a 4-time Pro Bowl prototype Bates DT. Obviously we wouldn't have Jarvis Moss or Tim Crowder or next year's #1, but WE WOULD HAVE: Patrick Willis at Mike - DJ at Will - Nate Webster at Sam. We'd have: Adams and Kris Jenkins and Amon Gordon and maybe Marcus Thomas at DT, Dumervil, Engleberger and Simeon Rice at DE, and we could afford to keep the talented Kenny Peterson on the roster when he returns in a week.

Ifs and buts and candy and nuts ...
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #25
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beerslug View Post
Well, I've been saying for 4 years we need to address the Safety problem on this team and losing Al Wilson was a huge blow!
Where the F was Hamza today?! Does anybody know?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Denver Broncos