The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Broncos sign LB Jamie Winborn; release TE Chad Mustard

Winborn Signs; Mustard Released
By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The ceaseless winds of roster change in the NFL blew Chad Mustard away from the Broncos as quickly as he returned.

Just three days after rejoining the club and suiting up for Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills, the Broncos released the offensive tackle in order to make room for linebacker Jamie Winborn, who joined the team Tuesday.

Terms of Winborn's contract were not disclosed.

The 5-foot-11, 242-pounder was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sept. 1 after spending the 2006 season there, during which he logged a career-best 14 special-teams tackles.

A seventh-year veteran, Winborn has 14 career starts to his name, 10 of which came during his 2004 season with the San Francisco 49ers, the club that brought him into the league as a second-round pick in 2001. Winborn remained with the 49ers until they traded him to the Jacksonville Jaguars midway through the 2005 campaign.

The addition of Winborn eases a potential depth issue at linebacker. The Broncos carried just five linebackers on their 53-man roster and practice squad into the regular season, and one of them, Louis Green, sustained a blow to the head during Sunday's win over the Buffalo Bills.

"We just have to work the numbers," assistant head coach Jim Bates said last week after the Broncos released Wesly Mallard when they signed Simeon Rice. "When you have an addition and we lose a linebacker, then we just have to make up for it with somebody else filling in and being on the scout team."

Winborn becomes the second Vanderbilt product to play for the Broncos, joining quarterback Jay Cutler. Another ex-Commodore, cornerback Bill Alford, was with the team during the preseason but was released at the final cutdown on Sept. 1.

The signing of Winborn also increases the Broncos' collection of former Tampa Bay defenders. The other Bucs-turned-Broncos are safety John Lynch, linebackers Ian Gold and Nate Webster and defensive end Simeon Rice. Assistant special teams coach Keith Burns also spent the 2004 season wearing pewter and red before returning to Denver with Gold in 2005 following a one-year joint joint sojourn to the Gulf Coast

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=7181

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I was just going to post this. where does winborn usually line up I am guessing they went for a guy who could play mike or sam but I am not really fimliar with him
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
chawknz
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hey now!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Wow.. just.. wow.

Poor Mustard.
chawknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I would say this was also done to shore up special teams depth as well. With foxy having a sprained ankle and some other injuries we need some bodies to play ST.

Man Chad Mustard must feel emotionally spent. On the team, off the team, on the team, off agian.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by superceriani View Post
I was just going to post this. where does winborn usually line up I am guessing they went for a guy who could play mike or sam but I am not really fimliar with him
Winborn used to be a Will a long time ago in SF when he was much lighter (he is listed as 242, I remember him being lighter). I remember he started against us in 2002 when we played at SF and was a pretty decent young Will. Not sure which position he plays now...maybe multiple ones, I dunno.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

At least Chad was on the roster for the first game. I believe that means he received a severence package for the entire year, as a vested vetern on the roster for the first game. I hope he stays in shape, becasue with all of the injuries in this league this year, he will be back here, or on a roster somewhere.
UboBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Winbourn wasn't too bad a prospect back in the day. Sounds like he's turned into more of a backup/special teamer, but we could really use that at this point. Hopefully he goes out and makes some plays on gameday that keep incidences like our special teams coverage last game from happening again.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Paging Hotrod...please pick up the white courtesy phone please.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

There still needs to be another move. They can't (or at least shouldn't) go into a game with having Kuper as the lone available backup.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
GaBronc
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

they will bring meadows back now
GaBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBronc View Post
they will bring meadows back now
And who would they release?

I think this was about special teams. I guess O'Brien likes Tight Ends and linebackers on his special teams. They're a good body size to have because they are big but usually can run and have good speed so it makes for a good building block when putting your special teams together.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
GaBronc
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

maybe paul smith or make move with L Green
GaBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

If he can tackle somebody on special teams...yes to this move. It's not like Mustard was going to help any.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #14
Aardvark
Rabid Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Kircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawknz View Post
Wow.. just.. wow.

Poor Mustard.

Chad, again, couldn't cut the mustard.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #15
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Mustard knows that we'll pick him up if somebody gets injured. I would hate what he's went through though.
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #16
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

I think this was about special teams. I guess O'Brien likes Tight Ends and linebackers on his special teams. They're a good body size to have because they are big but usually can run and have good speed so it makes for a good building block when putting your special teams together.
I hate to say this but with the top three receivers playing well when do we consider putting Rod on IR and let him heal completely.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #17
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja fan View Post
I hate to say this but with the top three receivers playing well when do we consider putting Rod on IR and let him heal completely.
Rod doesn't count against the roster while he's on the PUP. Andre Hall is my guess.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #18
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

A couple of RBs went down last weekend. Maybe Broncs have a buyer for Bell.

Rod is not taking a roster spot while on PUP. He can sit there at least till after week six before a decison needs to be made. There would be nothing to gain by cutting him or putting him on IR at this time.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #19
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Rod doesn't count against the roster while he's on the PUP. Andre Hall is my guess.
I seriously doubt Andre Hall gets cut. Most people missed it but Wabbit posted that the coaches are giddy about finding both Young and Hall without drafting either. Thinks they are the RBs of the future.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #20
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
A couple of RBs went down last weekend. Maybe Broncs have a buyer for Bell.
That would make sense.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #21
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Why did we sign him and then a game later cut him?
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #22
Bronco Yoda

This move is all about special teams.

Just like I've been suggesting we gravitate to more of a 3-4 to build a roster that would also be special teams coverage friendly. My biggest fear going into the Buffalo game and I said so was field position and special teams.

It is the number one thing that will keep us down. Poor field position and giving away cheap points.

I hope he is a positive for special teams. We really really need it.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #23
Seamus
Rust Contributor

Always something changing

I guess it is good that the coaching staff is trying to address our special teams needs, especially on punt returns, (yep the Bills needed the 7).
I guess he has speed to rack up 14 special teams tackles, just thinking about the probability of getting that many in a season in TB, they were some low scores last year with that potent missing a spleen offense with the mediocre defense. So there was quite a bit of punting going on.

Time will tell.
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #24
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Here is that post by Wabbit I was talking about:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...4&postcount=49

Look, the coaches think very highly of Mike Bell. So do other teams thin at RB apparently...just not enough to offer Denver what they think Mike Bell is worth...not at the moment at any rate.

There are clearly folks here who have some inside slant on the inner workings of the Broncos...that is; they have a coach or two that talk to them.

Ask.

I have never heard more quiet exuberance over a player most...if not all...thought was nothing more than camp fodder.

Of course, I'm talking about Selvin Young.

Young is the reason the team is flailing around trying to find a place for a player too good to cut...in this case, Mike Bell.

No roster space was originally intended for Young...well, perhaps the practice squad in some minds, but not many.

I'm telling you folks, the coaches think the future feature back of this team...more or less...walked on...and it isn't only Young, but Andre Hall as well.

It's the ultimate irony after all the draft choices, RB of the week year after year and pining for the good old days with Terrell Davis.

Wait & see...these coaches think the future is here...and it just walked in the door.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #25
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Awesome, I love this guy.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote