The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Announcements, Features and Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Plan do You Prefer?
PLAN 1 - I have plenty of extra cash to donate 2 10.00%
PLAN 2 - I guess I could take the time to put my Avatar on PhotoBucket 10 50.00%
PLAN 9 - Jake's not busy, let him handle the problem 0 0%
I dislike avatars, and much prefer the cold anonymity of nametags 0 0%
Whatever Khan says, I'm for that 5 25.00%
I don't care about avatars, why am I even voting in this poll? 4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. This poll is closed

Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #26
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Forget the avatars...since they don't want them on.....go with the monster sigs at max dimensions instead.
Amen, especially since the posted rules on the signature page are not enforced at all.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #27
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Sup, dawg ...

Admittedly the site has had very heavy traffic lately, mid-season type traffic. But I had always heard exactly what you said - that off-site image hosting is NOT a resource-hog. I dunno what TJ's thinking ... he keeps dodging these threads. I wish he'd just give us a number, whatever it is - $600, even $1200, whatever it costs to upgrade the server .. and then we could try to raise the money with a fundraiser.

Or better yet let's ask broncosteven ... he had some involvemnt in hooking us up with a server before, so maybe he has some answers.
Sadly I can't add anything other than speculation, this is TJ's baby. I think it could be more of an ISP issue.

When I did talk to him a year ago he said the DB was small and the site was more of a memory and Bandwidth hog.

I am guessing he may be near the point where he may need to add multiple servers in a round robin DNS config to balance use at peak times to host all the features of the app. I have never hosted a public site like this, not sure if the App he is using would allow the DB to be distributed to other sites.

Based on the user locations displayed in the posts. I would consider placing a Server in a Denver ISP, CA ISP, and an east coast ISP with all 3 pointing to a central/clustered DB somewhere.

That is a big time outlay and A TON of work. He would need a couple guys to run this type of setup. Not sure he wants to go that big or worth the effort to him now that his family is growing.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Just make BroncoBuff pick up the tab.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #29
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Sadly I can't add anything other than speculation, this is TJ's baby. I think it could be more of an ISP issue.

When I did talk to him a year ago he said the DB was small and the site was more of a memory and Bandwidth hog.
The Photobucket option could help with this as it means that the pictures are not only STORED at photobucket but they are also DOWNLOADED from there too. At least I think that's how photobucket works.

You have to say, however, that even an 'easy' option like this would take time to sort out - you'd have to restrict avatars so that they can ONLY be posted on Photobucket or similar, otherwise it wouldn't work.

So if TJ's just expanded his family I'm not surprised he gives these kinds of threads a wide berth.....even the 'simple' stuff ends up taking more time and effort than you thought it would.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #30
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I prefer imageshack. As I understand it works the same but I believe the bandwidth is higher. Anyway I don't see why that option shouldn't work.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #31
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I prefer imageshack. As I understand it works the same but I believe the bandwidth is higher. Anyway I don't see why that option shouldn't work.
Sigs are just as cool. Check mine out.

Anyway I have a 4 month old and know how it is. Sounds like TJ is also busy on the soap box for some Ron Paul dude.

Kids/family + Work = Little free time.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #32
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The problem right now is that I'm the project manager for a massive web site, and am at the end of the development cycle trying to get this thing out the door. I'm working 15 hour days right now trying to get this thing wrapped up. Once this project winds down, I plan on spending time updating the board software and revisiting our bandwidth needs and our ability to deliver everything we want to deliver without slowing the site down. But I'm not in position right now to do anything but sympathize and wish that I had the same kind of energy I had at 27 when I could work 18 hour days and actually enjoy it (I'm beat right now!).
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #33
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

18 hour days. You sissy! Back in my day when I was 27 we worked 34 hour days. Damn kids these days and their 24 hour long days.

Take care of yourself and your family. We can wait as long as needed. Lets just hope we don't lose anybody else from here. Pez just said sionara.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #34
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Not sure if it is worth bothering now that everyone around here is on the rag.

With the way people here get so pissy and offended so freaking easily I wouldn't waste time as they will just find something else to b**** about and end up leaving.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #35
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I think some people use the Mane to vent after a long day.

Whats the worse that can happen...
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #36
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The problem right now is that I'm the project manager for a massive web site, and am at the end of the development cycle trying to get this thing out the door. I'm working 15 hour days right now trying to get this thing wrapped up. Once this project winds down, I plan on spending time updating the board software and revisiting our bandwidth needs and our ability to deliver everything we want to deliver without slowing the site down. But I'm not in position right now to do anything but sympathize and wish that I had the same kind of energy I had at 27 when I could work 18 hour days and actually enjoy it (I'm beat right now!).
Quit whining.

Northman is offline   Reply With Quote