The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Floyd Little's last chance for HOF?

It's been 32 years since our "Franchise" Floyd Little hung 'em up as the 7th leading rusher in NFL history. All 6 guys who retired before him made the Hall of Fame years ago. I don't have to tell you how frustrating it is that he's not in the HOF . . . and that the only Bronco in is Elway.

This August, 9 Senior Selectors of the HOF (below) will nominate 2 old timers (guys who have been retired for 25 years or more). This is entirely different from the modern era picks, which Gradishar, Louis Wright, etc., are still candidates. That's a separate vote that happens later in September.

I've spoken to several people "in the know" who have informed me that this is probably Floyd's last chance to get nominated. Below is contact info for the 9 Senior Selectors who will vote this August on the fate of Floyd.

Take a few minutes to email them why you think Floyd should be in. If you need a brush up on all the reasons . . . go to www.littleinthehalloffame.com. There's plenty of great facts why Floyd is long over due. Let's give the guy who is the reason the Broncos are still in Denver one more shot!

Ira Miller, SF Chronicle: imiller@sfchronicle.com
Jerry Magee, SD Union-Tribune: jerry.magee@uniontrib.com
Edwin Pope, Miami Herald: epope@herald.com
Don Pierson, Chicago Trib: pierson33@aol.com
Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News: rgosselin@dallasnews.com
John McClain, Houston Chronicle: john.mcclain@chron.com
Dave Goldberg, AP: dgoldberg@ap.org
Len Shapiro, Miami Herald: badgerlen@hotmail.com
Jerry Green, Detroit News: jgreen@detnews.com (also jerry.green@detnews.com)
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
12th man
Ring of Famer

How and why is this his last chance? That's terrible if it is, I hope he get's in.

You know what? I don't have the time right now to read that link and write to all those people, but I will. I don't know much about Little, because I wasn't alive to see him play, but I could get input from my family members that have seen him play, and check out that link, and use what tiny bit I do know about him.
12th man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Each year more Hall of Fame worthy players fall into the Seniors Category (retired 25 years or more). And with just 2 players nominated a year from that group, it gets tougher and tougher for guys like Floyd to get nominated. Among the seniors candidates that Floyd is lumped in with are Jim Marshall, Mick Tingelhoff, Johnny Robinson, Otis Taylor, Cliff Harris, Leroy Jordan, Claude Humphrey and more). Many could get the nod over Floyd because they played in Super Bowls . . . although I've always believed you can't blame an individual for not getting his team to the Super Bowl. Especially when you look at those Broncos teams from his era. Next year there will be more candidates in the Seniors pool.

Floyd has been a seniors candidate for 7 years now . . . I've been told his chances will be incredibly slim if he doesn't make it this year.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I hate to say this, but the HOF has become a total joke with their selection process and I for one am trying not to participate in the BS called the HOF. It has become a populatiry contest for players that are not from the Rocky mountain region. I hope Floyd makes it in, but I am without hope because he is a Bronco thru and thru.

PS: I am in the middle of reading Floyd's book, very funny and informitive. I recommend it to all fans.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I hate to say this, but the HOF has become a total joke with their selection process and I for one am trying not to participate in the BS called the HOF. It has become a populatiry contest for players that are not from the Rocky mountain region. I hope Floyd makes it in, but I am without hope because he is a Bronco thru and thru.

PS: I am in the middle of reading Floyd's book, very funny and informitive. I recommend it to all fans.

Yep! the same bunch of clowns that put micheal irvin in the HOF.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

If he won't make it in without our emails, he won't make it in with them, either.

Him not being in there is a joke. The whole thing is a joke.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've spoken to a number of Hall of Famers from Floyd's era . . . Bobby Bell, Jack Ham, 49er CB Jimmy Johnson, Jim Otto, Ron Mix, Fred Biletnikoff, Don Maynard, Leroy Kelly, and many more more . . . they all say Floyd is a Hall of Famer.

HOF writers should listen to them . . . it takes a Hall of Famer to know a Hall of Famer.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I sent this to McClane. We have spoken before so I figured Id give it a shot:

Quote:
Hello Mr. McClane. I emailed you once a few months ago commenting on how much I appreciated your articles as you seem to be one of the few journalists that has a clue.

As such, it has come to my attention that you are one of the Senior Selectors for the NFL Hall of Fame.

I just want you to know before I go off on my rant. I do not blame you for this gross transgression of incompetence, I only hope that you can do what you can to rectify this.

Floyd Little is not in the Hall of Fame. THis is a travesty, pure and simple. Floyd Little should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer, yet 32 years later he is still waiting on his name to be called.

Floyd Little was the best back in Football in 1971, leading the league with 1133 yards at a time when a thousand yard season still meant something. Played in 4 All-star/Pro Bowls in only 9 seasons in the NFL, Floyd was the original Franchise of the Denver Broncos. Without Floyd Little, Denver would probably have moved to another city, instead, because of Floyd Little, a rabid fan base was built which over the past 3 decades has been the winningest franchise in all of football (surprising aint it?).

Here are his stats to refresh your memory:

RUSHING

Year

Team

Games

Attempts

Yards

Yds./Att.

TDs

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

TOTAL

RECEIVING

Year

Team

Games

Recepts.

Yards

Yds./Rec.

TDs

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Denver

Total

When he retired, Floyd was the NFLs 7th all time leading rusher. That alone, being a top 10 RB in a RB dominated Hall of Fame, should have gotten him in. IN fact, why isn't he in? I don't know how long you have been on the committee, but for a team that has more wins than any other team in the last 30 years, more superbowl appearances, more Conference championships (in that same time frame) than any other team in the NFL, only one person is deserving of the Hall of Fame?

"During his prime, 1968-73, he led the NFL in both yards Rushing and Yards from Scrimmage (rushing and receiving). Little was voted "Running Back of the year" in 1972 by the Professional Football Writers of America, and was 1 of just 7 players to total more than 100-yards (104) per game. Incredibly, despite spending most of his career as the lone offensive threat on a losing team, he retired as the 7th leading rusher in NFL history with 6,323 yards rushing and 54 touchdowns. He was the first Bronco to have his jersey 44 "officially" retired."

"He was an American Football League All-Star in 1968, named first-team "All-League" in 1969, and made the AFC-NFC Pro Bowl in 1970, 1971 and 1973. At just 5-10, 195-pounds, Little was a pioneer who became the smallest back to lead the league in rushing since before World War II. He was as versatile as he was exciting. He led the league in combined yards in 1967 & 68 and was the only player to return punts for TDs in both seasons. "

I mean, this is crazy. Im too young to have watched Little play, so why would I bother? Because Floyd Little is the reason I am a Broncos fan. My father thought so highly of Little that when I was old enough to understand, he spoke to me about how special he was. Being the lone threat offensively and still able to put up the numbers he did, few can say that. Of the few, Payton, Sanders, Sayers are amongst the few (Jim Brown had a helluva line most of his career). Mighty high company.

Here's something else. Because of the era, 14 game seasons and Fullbacks actually being part of the rushing attack, Little averaged a mere 14 carries per game.

As mentioned earlier, when he retired he was the 7th all time leading rusher. Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Jim Taylor, Joe Perry, Leroy Kelly and John Henry Johnson were ahead of him and all are in the Hall of Fame. Johnson had only 400 more yards than Little even though he played four more seasons.

Please do what you can to elect Floyd to the Hall of Fame this year. It may be his last chance and he is more than deserving of it. Just because he was a Bronco should have no bearing on whether or not he gets in.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Alec, Never thought I would say this to you..... Freekin GREAT post. Rep
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Would you folks get over this? There's no way in hell Floyd Little deserves the HOF.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Bah, most of the good stuff I stole from The Moops website.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Bob, I dont know what you said, and I might get the axe for this.

But die a slow, painful, agonizing death. Please.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Slappy is that you?

For boob, I just say die.... Ef the slow, painful death. Cancer if not good enough for him
Old 07-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Would you folks get over this? There's no way in hell Floyd Little deserves the HOF.
I'm quoting this POS to point out he still pollutes (spams) this board constantly while others are banned for using a four letter word.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beerslug View Post
I'm quoting this POS to point out he still pollutes (spams) this board constantly while others are banned for using a four letter word.
His opinions are wrong and always irrelevant.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #16
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
His opinions are wrong.
You ****ing moron.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #17
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
I don't like your opinion! You are polluting the board! Wahhhh!
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #18
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post

But die a slow, painful, agonizing death. Please.
Didn't you just become a father? Jesus.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #19
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Whats prompted all the recent HOF talk?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #20
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
I don't like your opinion! You are polluting the board! Wahhhh!
Don't you KC trolls have somewhere else to play, like in your first cousins bedrooms?

If you asses don't like the thread stay STF out of it.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #21
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:

On the contrary. This thread is most entertaining.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #22
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Don't you KC trolls have somewhere else to play, like in your first cousins bedrooms?

I would give you the same advice for someone's posts. Don't read them.

Unless you just like to hear yourself b****. In that case carry on.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #23
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:

Zach always protects his piece of a**, he protects it here and on crapplanet where bob is placed under his protective moderating wing.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #24
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Zach always protects his piece of a**, he protects it here and on crapplanet where bob is placed under his protective moderating wing.
I stepped away from moderator status. Besides that I can't think of a single case where I did something that would have benefited GC. Can you think of an example? Or are you talking out of your ass....again.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #25
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
I stepped away from moderator status. Besides that I can't think of a single case where I did something that would have benefited GC. Can you think of an example? Or are you talking out of your ass....again.
Fair enough so we are just down to protecting your one and only cookie known as bob, deal with it.