The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #251
freak6
Ring of Famer

Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK

I select 6 foot 9, Hall of Famer, PF, Bob McAdoo.

Last player to average 30 and 15!!!!

McAdoo won the 1973 NBA Rookie of the Year Award in his first season, and earned the first of three consecutive NBA scoring titles in only his second season.

In 1974-75 he was awarded the NBA Most Valuable Player Award, averaging 34.5 points, 14.1 rebounds and 2.12 blocks per game,

while shooting 51.2 percent from the field and 80.5 percent from the free throw line.

This old schoolers stats aren't swayed with ABA numbers, straight NBA, and straight DOMINATED from the get go.

Despite injuries he had a 13 year career capped by helping the Lakers win 2 rings as thier 6th man.

I think I may have just gotten the steal of the draft. His per game stats are dramatically smaller due to him taking much less minutes to play with the Champion Lakers.

He left the NBA, and then went to Europe and won championships there before retiring at age 41.

Top Gunners

C - ?
PF - Bob McAdoo - Hall of Famer
SF - Larry Bird - Hall of Famer
SG - Kobe Bryant - Certain Hall of Famer
PG - Allen Iverson - Certain Hall of Famer

My squad is straight scoring. Fun to imagine Iverson breaking down whoever with defenders behind him unable to help with Larry sitting outside with Kobe, or Kobe cutting behind the double team, and McAdoo waiting in the wings to clean up.

Last edited by freak6; 06-20-2007 at 08:05 PM..
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #252
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default RSDU Selects...

Well, llama took the guy I wanted, which was KG. I was in love with his leadership, his 20/10 stats, and his many 1st-Team All Defense appearances, like 6 or 7 I believe. Maybe 8. But I digress.

Right now, I've got Shaq at Center, and a back court of Drexler and King James. It's time for PF and SF. As much as I want some defense, I just couldn't pass up a SF like Adrian Dantley.

What makes Dantley stand out? His 24.3 PPG, 5.7 RPG, and 3.0 APG are all wonderful. He even had 30+ PPG for four straight seasons. But the amazing thing to me is that he shot .540 for his career, ranking him at a tie for 18 on the all time field goal percentage leaders.

18, you might think isn't anything special. But sometimes, as they say, numbers lie. I highly reccomend you guys check out the list of all-time best FG%. Guys like Shaq, Barkley, hell even Eddy Curry is higher than Dantley. The point? The point is, every player ahead of Dantley is a PF or C, guys who make their livings off dunks, shots in the lane, rebounding and put backs. Hell, even the guy tied at 18 with Dantley is Wilt Chamberlain. I don't want to turn this into a footstepsfrom#27 mini novel, but the point is summed up with this, from NBA.com:

"On the court, the athletic Dantley was as smooth an outside shooter as could be, a force on the inside with an explosive first step, and a master of psychology."

Can't beat his accuracy and efficiency, especially outside of the paint on the perimeter. The lost art of the mid-range jumper.

7:17 PM MST, Runnin' & Gunnin' takes SF Adrian Dantley.

Runnin' & Gunnin'
PG - LeBron James
SG - Clyde Drexler
SF - Adrian Dantley
PF -
C - Shaquille O'Neal
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #253
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Time to get some guys in the backcourt.

I'm proud to select Joe Dumars, G, Pistons.

Code:
 Season  Ag Tm  Lg     G   MP   FG  FGA  3P  3PA   FT  FTA  ORB  DRB  TRB  AST STL BLK  TO  PF  PTS
+------------------+----+----+----+----+---+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+---+---+---+---+----+
 1985-86 22 DET NBA   82 23.9  3.5  7.3 0.1  0.2  2.3  2.9  0.7  0.7  1.5  4.8 0.8 0.1 1.9 2.4  9.4
 1986-87 23 DET NBA   79 30.9  4.7  9.5 0.1  0.3  2.3  3.1  0.6  1.5  2.1  4.5 1.1 0.1 2.2 2.5 11.8
 1987-88 24 DET NBA   82 33.3  5.5 11.7 0.0  0.2  3.1  3.8  0.8  1.7  2.4  4.7 1.1 0.2 2.1 1.9 14.2
 1988-89 25 DET NBA   69 34.9  6.6 13.1 0.2  0.4  3.8  4.4  0.8  1.7  2.5  5.7 0.9 0.1 2.6 1.5 17.2
 1989-90 26 DET NBA   75 34.4  6.8 14.1 0.3  0.7  4.0  4.4  0.8  2.0  2.8  4.9 0.8 0.0 1.9 1.7 17.8
 1990-91 27 DET NBA   80 38.1  7.8 16.2 0.2  0.6  4.6  5.2  0.8  1.6  2.3  5.5 1.1 0.1 2.4 1.7 20.4
 1991-92 28 DET NBA   82 38.9  7.2 16.0 0.6  1.5  5.0  5.8  1.0  1.3  2.3  4.6 0.9 0.1 2.4 1.8 19.9
 1992-93 29 DET NBA   77 40.2  8.8 18.9 1.5  3.9  4.5  5.2  0.8  1.1  1.9  4.0 1.0 0.1 1.8 1.8 23.5
 1993-94 30 DET NBA   69 37.6  7.3 16.2 1.8  4.6  4.0  4.8  0.5  1.7  2.2  3.8 0.9 0.1 2.3 1.7 20.4
 1994-95 31 DET NBA   67 38.0  6.2 14.5 1.5  5.0  4.1  5.1  0.7  1.7  2.4  5.5 1.1 0.1 3.3 2.3 18.1
 1995-96 32 DET NBA   67 32.7  3.8  8.9 1.8  4.4  2.4  2.9  0.4  1.6  2.1  4.0 0.6 0.0 1.4 1.6 11.8
 1996-97 33 DET NBA   79 37.0  4.9 11.1 2.1  4.9  2.8  3.2  0.5  1.9  2.4  4.0 0.7 0.0 1.6 1.2 14.7
 1997-98 34 DET NBA   72 32.3  4.6 11.0 2.2  5.9  1.8  2.1  0.2  1.3  1.4  3.5 0.6 0.0 1.2 1.4 13.1
 1998-99 35 DET NBA   38 29.4  3.8  9.2 2.3  5.8  1.3  1.6  0.3  1.5  1.8  3.5 0.6 0.1 1.4 1.3 11.3
+------------------+----+----+----+----+---+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+---+---+---+---+----+
 14 Seasons         1018 34.5  5.9 12.8 1.0  2.5  3.4  4.0  0.7  1.5  2.2  4.5 0.9 0.1 2.0 1.8 16.1
Michael Jordan called Joe Dumars the best defender he ever faced in his career. A rare class act from the Detroit "Bad Boy" teams, Dumars helped the Pistons win a pair of championships, being named the '89 Finals MVP in the process. He was a six time All-Star, 1st Team All-Defense 4 times and 2nd Team All-Defense once.

My yet to be named team
G
G Joe Dumars
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
F Alex English
F Charles Barkely

This pick made at 8:30 P.M. MST. -Slap- is now on the clock.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #254
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Well, llama took the guy I wanted, which was KG. I was in love with his leadership, his 20/10 stats, and his many 1st-Team All Defense appearances, like 6 or 7 I believe. Maybe 8. But I digress.

Right now, I've got Shaq at Center, and a back court of Drexler and King James. It's time for PF and SF. As much as I want some defense, I just couldn't pass up a SF like Adrian Dantley.

What makes Dantley stand out? His 24.3 PPG, 5.7 RPG, and 3.0 APG are all wonderful. He even had 30+ PPG for four straight seasons. But the amazing thing to me is that he shot .540 for his career, ranking him at a tie for 18 on the all time field goal percentage leaders.

18, you might think isn't anything special. But sometimes, as they say, numbers lie. I highly reccomend you guys check out the list of all-time best FG%. Guys like Shaq, Barkley, hell even Eddy Curry is higher than Dantley. The point? The point is, every player ahead of Dantley is a PF or C, guys who make their livings off dunks, shots in the lane, rebounding and put backs. Hell, even the guy tied at 18 with Dantley is Wilt Chamberlain. I don't want to turn this into a footstepsfrom#27 mini novel, but the point is summed up with this, from NBA.com:

"On the court, the athletic Dantley was as smooth an outside shooter as could be, a force on the inside with an explosive first step, and a master of psychology."

Can't beat his accuracy and efficiency, especially outside of the paint on the perimeter. The lost art of the mid-range jumper.

7:17 PM MST, Runnin' & Gunnin' takes SF Adrian Dantley.

Runnin' & Gunnin'
PG - LeBron James
SG - Clyde Drexler
SF - Adrian Dantley
PF -
C - Shaquille O'Neal

Damn I was hoping somehow he would make it back to me.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:43 AM   #255
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

I'm very concerned that -Slap- is going to take my man.....don't do it -Slap-
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:53 AM   #256
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I have a feeling I know who MP wants, and I want him next round.

BOOOOOO.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #257
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Slap is on the clock until 11 AM CST on Thursday.

MP, GSRey, and Killericon are on deck.

By the by, outstanding picks of Mcadoo, Joe D and A Dantley. I was really planning on taking Joe D soon.

Bastards. Now who the hell am I gonna take?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:16 AM   #258
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

My point guard is Dennis Johnson.

With West and Barry adept at handling the ball, I don't require a conventional point guard to run my offense, so I chose one of the greatest defensive players in basketball history instead. DJ was the best defensive guard of his era, as evidenced by nine straight appearances on the All Defensive team. He was also one of the smartest and most versatile players ever. He led the SuperSonics to the NBA Title in 1979, winning the NBA Finals MVP Award in the process. He won two more titles in Boston and Larry Bird called Johnson the best teammate he ever had.
  • NBA Finals MVP (1979)

• NBA champion (1979, '84, '86)

• All-NBA First Team (1981)

• All-NBA Second Team (1980)

• All-Defensive First Team six times (1979-83, '87)

• All-Defensive Second Team three times (1984-86)

• Five-time NBA All-Star (1979-82, '85)

The only possible reason DJ isn't in the Hall of Fame is because of all the Celtics from that team to make it already, the entire front line, plus Walton. The article by Bill Simmons below makes a very nice case for Johnson's inclusion in the Hall:

Quote:
DJ should have made Springfield while still alive

Sad and angry. That's how I feel.

First, the sad part: Dennis Johnson dropped dead Thursday at the age of 52. I never met him and only followed his career from afar, most notably when he played for my beloved Celtics, so I won't pretend to be as distraught as his family, friends and former teammates. My condolences to everyone who knew him and loved him. At the same time, I am sad, and he's a guy who meant an inordinate amount to me during a time when sports probably meant a little too much. Maybe I wasn't part of his life, but he was a huge part of mine. So it's a sad day for Celtics fans (as well as his fans from Pepperdine, Seattle and Phoenix). As one of my friends e-mailed me today, "It's really hard to dodge the feeling that someone in control has just decided to [bleep] with the Boston Celtics this year. Really hard."

Now, the angry part: DJ passed away before the Basketball Hall of Fame found a place for him. He's going to make it within the next few years -- probably in 2008, when everyone gives him the proverbial sympathy vote (this summer's finalists have already been announced and he wasn't one) -- and they'll have the ceremony without him in Springfield, Mass., and everyone will say, "It's a proud day, but it's also a bittersweet day because DJ wasn't here to see it," and then they'll put up his plaque and we'll go on with our lives.

Not acceptable. He should have made it already. I wrote about this ongoing injustice last fall, when Joe Dumars made the Hall with credentials that weren't any better or worse than DJ's resume (or Sidney Moncrief's, for that matter). It didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense now. DJ played 14 seasons, made five All-Star teams, won the 1979 Finals MVP and three rings overall, and made All-NBA first-team in '81 and All-NBA second-team in '80. Dumars played 14 seasons, made six All-Star teams (in a weaker era of players), won the 1989 Finals MVP and two rings overall, and made the second-team All-NBA in '93. But this isn't about Dumars vs. DJ -- it's about a great basketball player who never got his just due.

Consider the following:

1. Indisputably, DJ was the greatest defensive guard of his era: Nine straight All-Defensive appearances from 1979 to 1987 (six on the first team, three on the second team), and that doesn't even begin to describe how destructive he played on that end (only Scottie Pippen rivaled his talent for completely disrupting another team's offense). When the Celtics traded for him before the '84 season, they did it because they needed someone to shut down Philadelphia's Andrew Toney, who tortured them in the playoffs every spring. As it turned out, the Sixers never beat them again. Also, every Celtics fan remembers how the 1984 Finals turned when DJ demanded to guard Magic before Game 4 (Magic was a shell for the rest of the series), or DJ's singular obliteration of Robert Reid in the '86 Finals. An all-defensive team for the past 30 years cannot include anyone other than these five guys: DJ, Payton, Pippen, Ben Wallace and Hakeem. Nobody else qualifies.

2. DJ will be remembered by everyone who was there as one of the best big-game guards who ever played. Basically, it's Clyde Frazier, Jerry West, Sam Jones, Reggie Miller, Michael Jordan and DJ on the list. From 1978 to 1988 with three different teams, DJ played in six NBA Finals and two other conference finals, going down as the best all-around guard for 11 straight seasons on teams that won 47, 52, 56, 57, 46, 53, 62, 63, 67, 59 and 57 games. He averaged 17.3 points, 5.6 assists and 4.3 rebounds for his playoff career -- including an astonishing 23-game run for a banged-up '87 Celtics team on which he averaged 19 points, 9 assists and a whopping 42 minutes a game guarding the likes of John Lucas, Sidney Moncrief, Isiah Thomas, Vinnie Johnson and Magic.

(Note: Seattle traded him for Paul Westphal in 1980 and finished 22 games worse the following season; Phoenix traded him for Rick Robey in 1983 and finished 12 games worse. Nobody ever seemed to appreciate DJ until he was gone.)

3. Larry Bird called him the greatest player he ever played with, which seems relevant since the Legend played with six members of the NBA Top 50 (McHale, Parish, Walton, Archibald, Cowens and Maravich). All of them are in the Hall of Fame.

4. In 14 seasons, DJ played in 1,100 of a possible 1,148 regular-season games, only missed more than five games once (missing 10 in the '89 season, near the tail end of his career) and played in another 180 playoff games (11th on the all-time list). The guy was built like Russian oak.

5. He's on the all-time "We'll never see this guy again" team along with Barkley, Bird, Magic, Maravich, Gervin, McHale, Kareem, Adrian Dantley and wholly unique players from NBA lore. There's never been a guard like DJ before or since.

And it's the last paragraph that should have clinched his spot in the Hall of Fame. Could you compare Dennis Johnson to anyone on the planet? He splashed onto the scene as a high-flying, physical 2-guard for the Sonics, evolved into more of a scorer for the Suns, then reincarnated himself as a heady point guard for the Celtics, peaking as the ringleader of a loaded '86 team that scored a jaw-dropping 114 points a game. He could guard anyone shorter than 6-foot-9 and lock them down. He was such an intelligent player that Bird and DJ had a secret ESP play for six straight years, in which Bird would linger near the basket like he was waiting for someone to set him a pick, then DJ would whip a pass by the defender's ears and Bird would catch it at the last possible second for a layup (and the only way that play happened was if they locked eyes). He was one of those classic only-when-it-counts shooters who could be riding a 3-for-14 game into the final minute, then nail a wide-open 20-footer to win the game.

Everyone loved playing with him in Boston; he was so competitive and carried himself with such a swagger, I can't remember following anyone other than Bird who enjoyed the actual process of winning more than him. There's a great scene in the '87 team video when the Celts are boarding the bus after a Game 6 shellacking in the Pistons series. Sulking about Dennis Rodman's antics at the end of the game (Rodman had been running around waving his right hand around his head), DJ sarcastically waves his hand over his head and says something like, "Yeah, OK, we'll see what happens on Sunday." Sure enough, the Celts pulled out an absolute slugfest of a seventh game, with DJ following Rodman around in the final seconds and sarcastically mimicking Rodman's high-stepped gait while waving his hand over his head. The lesson, as always: Don't mess with the Celtics.

I loved so many things about watching him play: The way he'd suddenly strip an unsuspecting guard at midcourt (you NEVER see that anymore), almost like a pickpocket swiping a wallet; the ESP plays with Bird; the supernatural way he rose to the occasion in big moments (like the game-winner against the Lakers in Game 4 of the '85 Finals); his unsurpassed knack for grabbing big rebounds in traffic; the way he always made one huge play in a must-win game (my personal favorite: in Game 7 against the '87 Bucks, when he went flying full-speed out of bounds to save a loose ball in the final 90 seconds, then somehow whipped it off Jack Sikma as he careened into the entire Bucks bench). Every time I get sucked into an old Celtics game from the '80s on ESPN Classic or NBA TV, there's always a point in the game where I find myself saying, "Holy crap, I forgot how good Dennis Johnson was."

Like everything else about his career, few remember his defining moment: The waning seconds of Game 5 in the '87 Eastern finals, when Bird famously picked off Isiah's pass and dished to DJ for the winning layup. Everyone remembers the steal and Johnny Most's call; nobody remembers DJ standing near midcourt, seeing Bird moving for the pass. Even as Bird snatched the ball out of Laimbeer's hands, DJ was already moving toward the basket with his hands up, ready to make the winning shot. From the mid-'70s to right now, I can only pinpoint a handful of players who would have instinctively known to cut toward the basket even as that steal was in the process of happening -- MJ, Magic, Frazier, Stockton, Reggie, Mullin, Rick Barry, Isiah (ironically, the one who threw the pass), Robert Horry, Dwyane Wade, Jason Kidd, Iverson, Nash, Kobe, and that's about it. Nobody else starts moving until after the steal happens. And by the way, if DJ never made that cut, Bird would have been forced to launch a fall-away 10-footer over the backboard to win the game -- which he probably would have made, but that's beside the point.

One more thought on that layup: the replay never does it justice. DJ was going full speed, hauled the pass from the left, then had Dumars coming at him from his direct right, so he had to shield the ball from Dumars, turn his body to the left and make a reverse layup that was much harder than it looked. My father and I were sitting on the opposite side of the main CBS camera, right in the tunnel where the players entered and exited (you can even see us at the end of this particular game), so you have to believe me on this one: that layup almost missed. Dumars changed the angle at the last second; DJ's layup struck the right side of the rim and somehow dropped home. Believe me, the layup was just as tough as the steal.

Of course, few people remember this, just like few remember how great of a basketball player Dennis Johnson was and how special and dominant that '86 Celtics team was. As my father said on the phone today, "He was the best guard on the best team I ever watched in my entire life."

Me, too. He should have made the trip to Springfield when he was still alive. Instead, he'll be making it in spirit some day. Didn't have to be that way. If you're reading this, and you have a Hall of Fame vote and you didn't vote for Dennis Johnson the last few years, hang your head in shame.

RIP, DJ.
The Flying Lithuanians
PG - Dennis Johnson
SG - Jerry West
SF - Rick Barry
PF - Kevin McHale
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #259
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
I'm very concerned that -Slap- is going to take my man.....don't do it -Slap-
I think your man is still out there. I figure you're probably looking to add a center and there are two big men left on the board I like almost equally. Since Icon and GSReylea have filled their pivot spots, I'll sit tight and see who makes it back to me six picks from now.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #260
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Great DJ pick. I wanted him in the 6th with my first reserve role. Pipe dream, I suppose.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #261
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
I think your man is still out there. I figure you're probably looking to add a center and there are two big men left on the board I like almost equally. Since Icon and GSReylea have filled their pivot spots, I'll sit tight and see who makes it back to me six picks from now.
haha, I knew this was it. I'm pretty positive I know who MP is going at.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #262
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Well, MP can get his guy now. Master___Pain is on the clock at 10 AM CST. He can select until 10 PM CST.

GSReylea, Killericon, Killericon, GSReylea, and Masterpain are on deck.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #263
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
How kind of you -Slap-

With my 4th round selection I select "The A-Train" C Artis Gilmore (man do I need bigs)

In his rookie year in the ABA, Gilmore was selected as the MVP and ROY. Gilmore dominated the ABA, and went on to have a solid NBA career after the ABA/NBA merger. Gilmore ranks #5 in all time rebounds, #19 in all time points scored and 4th in blocked shots. All of this and some how he's not in the HOF. Crazy.

Gilmore averaged 18/12/2.4 over his 17 year career.

More Artis Gilmore

Master Pain's Evil Counsel
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Reggie Miller
SF- Dominique Wilkens
PF-
C- Artis Gilmore

Last edited by Master___Pain; 06-21-2007 at 05:01 PM..
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #264
GSRelyea
NEWOUTDOORSMEN.COM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson

With my 4th round pick: Dave Cowens
Dave Cowens

Dave Cowens earned a berth in the Basketball Hall of Fame because of his tenacity and work ethic as a mainstay of the Boston Celtics in the 1970s, leading the team to NBA Championships in 1974 and 1976. Playing in the era of Julius "Dr. J" Erving, Wilt "the Stilt" Chamberlain, and "Pistol Pete" Maravich, Cowens didn't possess the flash and glitz of those high-profile superstars. Instead, it was Cowens' consistency, work ethic, unselfishness, versatility and energy that established him as one of the most solid and respected centers in recent NBA history.

Complete Bio | Summary
G FG% 3PFG% FT% Rebs RPG Asts APG Stls Blks Pts PPG
766 .460 .071 .783 10,444 13.6 2910 3.8 599 488 13,516 17.6

Full Name: David William Cowens
Born: 10/25/48 in Newport, Ky.
High School: Newport (Ky.) Central Catholic
College: Florida State
Drafted by: Boston Celtics, 1970 (fourth overall)
Height: 6-9; Weight: 230 lbs.
Transactions: Traded to Milwaukee Bucks, 9/9/82 Honors: Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1990); NBA champion (1974, '76); NBA MVP (1973); All-NBA Second Team (1973, '75, '76); All-Defensive First Team (1976); All-Defensive Second Team (1975, '80); NBA co-Rookie of the Year (1971); Seven-time All-Star; All-Star MVP ('73); One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996).

MY Squad (TBNL)
C- Wilt Chamberlain
PF- Dave Cowens
SF-
SG- Pistol Pete Maravich
PG- Nate "Tiny" Archibald

Pick was made at 1:40 CST KillerIcon is on the clock
GSRelyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #265
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Oooooh. I thought MP wanted Cowens, the man I greatly coveted. 2 good picks in Gilmore and Cowens here.

Damn you, GS!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #266
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Killericon is on the clock with two selections. He has until 5 am CST on Friday to pick.

GSReylea and MP are on deck.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #267
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul

all the way to the title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

With what I have so far, the BiochemNerd Parade will run a fast break offense under the leadership and decisionmaking of one of the greatest point guard minds of all time in Cousy. All of my bigs in the lineup can run the floor, and Dirk can set up anywhere from the elbow to the three-point line while Garnett and Russell make their way toward the rim. Dirk is a master at the fake-and-go, so you can count on both Dirk and Cous scrambling the defense on the perimeter.

It is not necessary for these guys to put up a shot quickly, because of the outsanding pick'n'roll, pick'n'pop options on the floor and the outstanding technical ability of Russell and Garnett to convert off of entry passes.

Cous and Dirk run the outside game, Garnett and Russell on the inside. Unstoppable.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #268
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

With the last pick in the 4th round, Killericon selects SF Dave DeBusschere.

With the 1st pick of the 5th Round, Killericon selects PF Ben Wallace.

Calgary Dinos

C - Nate Thurmond
PF - Ben Wallace
SF - Dave DeBusschere
SG - Micheal Jordan
PG - Jason Kidd

Last edited by Killericon; 06-21-2007 at 11:48 PM..
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #269
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

GSRelyea is on the clock at 8 PM CST. He has 12 hours to select.

MP, Slap, and CW are on deck.

Last edited by JCMElway; 06-21-2007 at 09:40 PM..
Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #270
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
With what I have so far, the BiochemNerd Parade will run a fast break offense under the leadership and decisionmaking of one of the greatest point guard minds of all time in Cousy. All of my bigs in the lineup can run the floor, and Dirk can set up anywhere from the elbow to the three-point line while Garnett and Russell make their way toward the rim. Dirk is a master at the fake-and-go, so you can count on both Dirk and Cous scrambling the defense on the perimeter.

It is not necessary for these guys to put up a shot quickly, because of the outsanding pick'n'roll, pick'n'pop options on the floor and the outstanding technical ability of Russell and Garnett to convert off of entry passes.

Cous and Dirk run the outside game, Garnett and Russell on the inside. Unstoppable.

Except Cous wouldn't do **** against today's athletes.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #271
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

With a grand total of 35 All-NBA Defensive Team appearances, 41 All-Star Appearances, and a host of other acolades, I'm feeling fairly confident. Jordan is best with ball-in hand, so I gave him a point guard who can get the ball to him, and some in-the paint tough scoring, plus one of the better defensive teams assembled so far. I think it's looking good, but scoring is an issue...so I think my next two picks are going to include a pure perimeter shooter(Though, by then J.J. Reddick might be my best choice) and a pure inside scorer.

My team's only hope(and it's a good one at that) is to shut down the other team's scoring enough to let Jordan win it for us.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:02 AM   #272
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Except Cous wouldn't do **** against today's athletes.
Except you have no way of knowing that, so you make a typically ignorant and intellectually lazy comment.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 AM   #273
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul

all the way to the title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Except you have no way of knowing that, so you make a typically ignorant and intellectually lazy comment.
I didnt see that statement because I have that dude on ignore, but why would one think that those guys couldnt compete?

The only way to measure those guys is against their own eras. Bob Cousy was the original cerebral, creative point guard. His fast breaks are legendary. He created Steve Nash. They didnt make noise in the regular season and fail to materialize in the playoffs like the modern Suns' fast breaks led by Nash. The Celtics' fast break was a big reason why those Celtic teams were the greatest dynasty of all-time in any sport.

Cousy couldnt compete?

Last edited by epicSocialism4tw; 06-22-2007 at 12:33 AM..
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #274
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Hey, guys, keep the bitter out of here.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:44 AM   #275
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Par for the course, reminds me of the "Carmelo gets a lot of points, but he is a terrible shooter!"

This was even though Carmelo had one of the best FG% for a non-center/PF.