The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default New England Patriots Not Too Old, Denver Broncos Really Old (Pre Draft)

I noted this morning that the Patriots signed cornerback Tory James, and that adding a 34-year-old to the roster makes New England look a little long in the tooth.

But my friend Aaron Schatz, editor in chief of Football Outsiders, e-mailed me to say that the Patriots aren't really so old. The average age of their 11 projected starters on defense is 28.9, which makes them the seventh-oldest defense in the league, but the three starting linemen are are 26, 26, and 28. And the defense could very well get younger in a week and a half, when the Patriots may very well draft a defensive starter (or two). Furthermore, the Patriots' average age on offense is 27.8, which actually makes them younger than the league average.

Want an old team? Take a look at the Broncos. The average age of the projected starters on offense is 30.5, making them the oldest offense in the league. And the average age of the projected starters on defense is 30.6, making them the second-oldest defense in the league. These numbers aren't official -- the draft hasn't even happened yet, so we certainly can't say for sure what the teams' starting lineups will be -- but the Patriots' future looks much brighter than the Broncos'.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/categ...os-really-old/
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
TheChamp247
Pro Bowler

with age comes expierence, so really this is good for us isn't it?
TheChamp247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well let's look at this again, with my projected starters (Ages as of today 6-04-07)

QB - Cutler - 24
RB - Henry - 28
FB - Johnson - 28
TE - Graham - 28
WR - Walker - 28
WR - Marshall - 23
LT - Lepsis - 33
LG - Hamilton - 29
C - Nalen - 36
RG - Kuper - 24
RT - Pears - 24

Offense= 27.27 years old

DE - Ekuban - 31
DT - Warren - 28
DT - Thomas - 21
DE - Crowder - 22
WLB - Gold - 28
MLB - Williams - 24
SLB - Holdman - 31
CB - Bailey - 28
CB - Bly - 30
FS - Lynch - 35
SS - Ferguson - 32

Defense = 28.18

As the SLB position is most in doubt, let's look at the possible alternatives
Lewis - 28 (avg = 27.91)
Webster - 29 (avg = 28)
Moore - 26 (avg = 27.73)
Vaughn - 23 (avg = 27.45)

Obviously if you think Holland, Meadows, McKinley, and Lang are all starting, then our average would go up. But the likelihood is that they will not. Our average age is lower than the Pats on both sides of the ball.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

good post chicken.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondawg View Post
I noted this morning that the Patriots signed cornerback Tory James, and that adding a 34-year-old to the roster makes New England look a little long in the tooth.

But my friend Aaron Schatz, editor in chief of Football Outsiders, e-mailed me to say that the Patriots aren't really so old. The average age of their 11 projected starters on defense is 28.9, which makes them the seventh-oldest defense in the league, but the three starting linemen are are 26, 26, and 28. And the defense could very well get younger in a week and a half, when the Patriots may very well draft a defensive starter (or two). Furthermore, the Patriots' average age on offense is 27.8, which actually makes them younger than the league average.

Want an old team? Take a look at the Broncos. The average age of the projected starters on offense is 30.5, making them the oldest offense in the league. And the average age of the projected starters on defense is 30.6, making them the second-oldest defense in the league. These numbers aren't official -- the draft hasn't even happened yet, so we certainly can't say for sure what the teams' starting lineups will be -- but the Patriots' future looks much brighter than the Broncos'.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/categ...os-really-old/
Who cares as long as we keep beating there a$$es every year and when we win the super bowl!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

That average is a little off as they now signed Seau again and our offense is old but the writer has Rod Smith as a starter and he screws up the average age by him being 62 years old. Put in Hixon and you wont need another wide out. That will drop the age.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

The presence of the two greybeards, Nalen and Lynch...skew the average higher...and right now it might be more worrisome (assuming they both start), that both of the right side OL guys are only 24...with 8 games of total starting experience between them.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 06-04-2007 at 11:04 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Averaged ages of a unit is very deceptive. On offense we do have some pretty old players, primarily Lepsis, Nalen, and Rod, who push the average way up. But we've also got a 24 year old QB and a 20-something at every other position with some other very young talents either starting or #2 on the depth chart at TE, WR, RB, and OL.

On defense we are older. Our core DL for the last few years is very long in the tooth, and our secondary is aging as well. However, in '05 we drafted a good amount of CB youth and have since added some quality UDFAs
at safety. On the DL we just hit it hard in this year's draft as well.

We've got a lot of young talent that is in position to take over for the older vets. Also, Champ Bailey is an all time talent who throws off any calculations like this. He will have a VERY long career a la Daryl Green and Deon Sanders. I don't expect him to really drop off until he's 33 or 34 and that will only bring him down to perenial pro-bowler level. He could play into his 40's if he really wanted to.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Strange, isn't it? The Pats fans seem to compare themselves to the Broncos all the time . Maybe they need to think about the Jags or Indy a bit more.

Nice to know, though, that the Broncos are a thorn in the minds of the Pats' fans.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

I know exactly how Pats fans feel about us... and I'm reminded of it every time someone mentions Indy.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I know exactly how Pats fans feel about us... and I'm reminded of it every time someone mentions Indy.
BAN HIM!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
dark_hawk
Solid Starter

Scarier than a left handed pass...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
just had to go and ruin my morning by mentioning indy didnt ya
dark_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Substitute 34 year old Adams for 21 year old Thomas.

To me age seems pretty irrelevent in Denver if there's going to be a big crowd of free agents coming in every year. A high average age for a team who builds through the draft would be more cause for concern. The Broncos do seem to handle roster turnover pretty well.

Now that I've acknowledged that, please give me a second to throw some homer info out there:

Phillip Rivers - 25
LaDainian Tomlinson - 27
Lorenzo Neal - 36
Nick Hardwick - 25
Kris Dielman - 26
Shane Olivea - 25
Marcus NcNeill - 23
Mike Goff - 31
Vincent Jackson - 24
Craig Davis - 21
Antonio Gates - 26

avg = 26.27

Marlon McCree - 30
Quentin Jammer - 27
Drayton Florence - 26
Eric Weddle - 22
Stephen Cooper - 27
Shawne Merriman - 23
Matt Wilhelm - 26
Jamal Williams - 31
Luis Castillo - 23
Shaun Phillips - 26
Igor Olshanksy - 25

avg = 26.00

Not only the most talented roster in the division, but also the youngest!
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

bump
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote