The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #976
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I might buy those thing today ... but, how much are they? Cause I don't really need them, I'm sub 20 a day ever since you threw that wet blanket over me

Question for you and Florida: The first time I did Atkins I was a sub-20-carbs stickler for 18-19 days, then went back to a basically normal diet.

DURING those 18 days I lost just a couple pounds. But after that ... in weeks 4 and 5 after starting, while eating a normal diet, THAT'S when the pounds started falling off, just FALLING off. Jeans that were tight one day were actually falling down a week later. Lost 20+ pounds in a month from just those 18 days.

So, is there some kind of delayed effect?
I hate those Keto strips. They're notoriously inaccurrate and give false results.

You KNOW when you're in keto. You feel like **** the first couple days while your brain is making the switch. Once there you feel better but there's still dead give-aways. Personally difficulty falling asleep is my main issue.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #977
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Yeah the first 3 or so days are sluggish, mildly head-achy too.

And in my one experience doing this, I felt funny when I went back on a regular diet too. I don't eat fast food, almost no processed food, never sugary drinks ... but I still felt kinda weird for a couple days.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #978
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
I might buy those thing today ... but, how much are they? Cause I don't really need them, I'm sub 20 a day ever since you threw that wet blanket over me

Question for you and Florida: The first time I did Atkins I was a sub-20-carbs stickler for 18-19 days, then went back to a basically normal diet.

DURING those 18 days I lost just a couple pounds. But after that ... in weeks 4 and 5 after starting, while eating a normal diet, THAT'S when the pounds started falling off, just FALLING off. Jeans that were tight one day were actually falling down a week later. Lost 20+ pounds in about six weeks from just those 18 days.

Everyones, Biochem is different so there could be a 1,000 different reasons why your body takes longer to get with the program. Could of been the alcohol consumption, hidden carbs, exercise, too many calories.. The list goes on and on.

As for the ketostix they are about $10 for a pack pf 50... and don't listen to Rev, the Ketostix are accurate it's "user error" that causes problems. Just follow the directions. As with all urinalysis, hydration levels play a significant role in their results. Try to keep your fluid level the same throughout the day and make sure to use the stix at the same time every day.

The stix are just a tool to help guage the level of ketone bodies in your urine... The thought is that the greater the concentration of ketones the more severe the level of ketosis in the body. Not an exact, just another tool to help you out.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #979
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:

DURING those 18 days I lost just a couple pounds. But after that ... in weeks 4 and 5 after starting, while eating a normal diet, THAT'S when the pounds started falling off, just FALLING off. Jeans that were tight one day were actually falling down a week later. Lost 20+ pounds in about six weeks from just those 18 days.

Like TheDave said, there are any number of reasons why that could have happened. With these low carb diets your body has to adapt to burning fat for fuel and that can vary widely depending on so many circumstances. Once you hit that level, the fat will start coming off easily. Just make sure you stick with the diet.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #980
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Everyones, Biochem is different so there could be a 1,000 different reasons why your body takes longer to get with the program. Could of been the alcohol consumption, hidden carbs, exercise, too many calories.. The list goes on and on.

As for the ketostix they are about $10 for a pack pf 50... and don't listen to Rev, the Ketostix are accurate it's "user error" that causes problems. Just follow the directions. As with all urinalysis, hydration levels play a significant role in their results. Try to keep your fluid level the same throughout the day and make sure to use the stix at the same time every day.

The stix are just a tool to help guage the level of ketone bodies in your urine... The thought is that the greater the concentration of ketones the more severe the level of ketosis in the body. Not an exact, just another tool to help you out.
User error my ass.

The sticks suck and are completely superfluous.

Metal taste in your mouth? You're in keto. Problem solved.

Reasons they suck:

1 hydration levels varies from day to day. Hell, you could even dehydrate yourself a bit on a carb heavy diet and they'll read that you're in ketosis. And vice versa.

After you have been on a keto type diet for > 6 weeks your urine might not contain ketones as your body is using fat more efficiently for fuel

If eating the proper amount of fat/protein ratio, there are no excess ketones to piss out.

Ketone levels shift depending on the time a day. You can piss negatively in the afternoon when they're low, and positive around midnight when they peak.

And a laundry list of other reasons they suck.

Ketones are simply partially burned fat molecules, with no guarantee of the source of that fat. Explanation from one of the founders...

This quote is from Lyle McDonald himself:

"Ketones can be made from either dietary fat or body fat.
The amount of ketones made from body fat depends on the concentration of
ketones in your bloodstream (which we can indirectly measure by ketone
concentration in your urine as urinary excretion represents the difference
between ketone production and ketone utilization)

Hence, it makes sense to me that keeping blood concentration of ketones low
(by not putting in loads of dietary fat all the time or even diluting it by
drinking boatloads of water) should allow for more bodyfat to be used."
Old 06-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #981
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
User error my ass.

The sticks suck and are completely superfluous.

Metal taste in your mouth? You're in keto. Problem solved.

Reasons they suck:

1 hydration levels varies from day to day. Hell, you could even dehydrate yourself a bit on a carb heavy diet and they'll read that you're in ketosis. And vice versa.

After you have been on a keto type diet for > 6 weeks your urine might not contain ketones as your body is using fat more efficiently for fuel

If eating the proper amount of fat/protein ratio, there are no excess ketones to piss out.

Ketone levels shift depending on the time a day. You can piss negatively in the afternoon when they're low, and positive around midnight when they peak.

And a laundry list of other reasons they suck.

Ketones are simply partially burned fat molecules, with no guarantee of the source of that fat. Explanation from one of the founders...

This quote is from Lyle McDonald himself:

"Ketones can be made from either dietary fat or body fat.
The amount of ketones made from body fat depends on the concentration of
ketones in your bloodstream (which we can indirectly measure by ketone
concentration in your urine as urinary excretion represents the difference
between ketone production and ketone utilization)

Hence, it makes sense to me that keeping blood concentration of ketones low
(by not putting in loads of dietary fat all the time or even diluting it by
drinking boatloads of water) should allow for more bodyfat to be used."
From the founder... Awesome.

Lyle McDonald is a Dan Duchaine wanna-be (with a physical education degree no less). I officially had more education in Biology, chemistry, and nutrition half way through my Sophmore year in college... He is the founder of nothing.

They are a tool Rev... a tool that has worked in the lab and in the diabetic communities for a very long time. It wasn't until the mensa types that populate the dieting and Bodybuilder forums started using them that there became problems. BB was struggling with his current regime and I suggested a tool that could give him insight ... Nothing more nothing less.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #982
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
From the founder... Awesome.

Lyle McDonald is a Dan Duchaine wanna-be (with a physical education degree no less). I officially had more education in Biology, chemistry, and nutrition half way through my Sophmore year in college... He is the founder of nothing.

They are a tool Rev... a tool that has worked in the lab and in the diabetic communities for a very long time. It wasn't until the mensa types that populate the dieting and Bodybuilder forums started using them that there became problems. BB was struggling with his current regime and I suggested a tool that could give him insight ... Nothing more nothing less.
That's well and good. I still think it's inherently obvious when you're in ketosis that a strip is completely unnecessary. All I'm saying.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #983
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Best.Feud.Ever .... "User error my ass"

But Rev ... don't you have a Lido deck to go to or something?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #984
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

2.5 weeks away. Was supposed to be on an airplane headed home today from AZ but my daughter gave me the puppy dog eyes so I'm staying a couple more weeks.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #985
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
That's well and good. I still think it's inherently obvious when you're in ketosis that a strip is completely unnecessary. All I'm saying.
Fair enough, I just get upity when PhEd majors become "Founders"

FWIW my wife has a b.s. in kenesiology, needless to say I take point on the diet and suplementation frontiers
Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #986
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Fair enough, I just get upity when PhEd majors become "Founders"

FWIW my wife has a b.s. in kenesiology, needless to say I take point on the diet and suplementation frontiers
Glad to see you completely agree that the strips are unnecessary.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #987
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:

Is that what just happened there?... I seriously need work on my "Body Building forum bull****ting techniques"
Old 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #988
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Is that what just happened there?... I seriously need work on my "Body Building forum bull****ting techniques"
Me too. I'm cutting down to "six pack" weight for my cruise, so I'm back to sub-200 lbs.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #989
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Me too. I'm cutting down to "six pack" weight for my cruise, so I'm back to sub-200 lbs.
One of these days I'm going to cut up agian... I'm just very comfortable at that 10% bf range.

Considering I'm almost 40 I'm guessing I'ld have to get down to 6%-8% to see that 6-pack again.

I liked being 25 better...
Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #990
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
One of these days I'm going to cut up agian... I'm just very comfortable at that 10% bf range.

Considering I'm almost 40 I'm guessing I'ld have to get down to 6%-8% to see that 6-pack again.

I liked being 25 better...
I was going through all my old **** out here and showed my daughter my highschool graduation pictures and she said "Wow, you used to look really good"
Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #991
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I know when I'm in Kato because I feel like living in other people's sheds for days on end practicing tai chi at 2am, and waking up whenever the mood strikes.

Badum-ching...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #992
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I know when I'm in Kato because I feel like living in other people's sheds for days on end practicing tai chi at 2am, and waking up whenever the mood strikes.

Badum-ching...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #993
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

FYI, fat ****s, the Chiefsplanet weight loss competition comes to an end tomorrow. A bunch of the fat ****s and not-so-fat ****s, and some skinny ****s, will be reporting weights tomorrow in THIS thread:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...198776&page=46

A lot of great success stories.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #994
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

I've heard that about Rev... The lido deck part...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #995
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
I don't see a need if you know your carb intake is fully restricted <20 ... It'd be like a totally celibate woman buying a pregnancy test.

Think about the psychology of it .... if you're complying with the program, what's the point in checking? Strips are for people who cheat and fudge and wanna see if it's hurting them.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #996
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I've dropped about 25 pounds. I taped before and then again today and I know I've dropped 8-9% bodyfat. So I subtracted the bodyfat from my weight and I have 7 unaccounted for lbs.

I'm hoping a good chunk of it was water weight, but losing that much in that time I know I dropped some lean muscle too. I'm currently trying to rationalize my strength drop at the gym today as the Arizona heat wearing me down all morning. Abs, veins, and vascularity are awesome, but I feel ****ing tiny.

Screw it, once I'm done reeling in ass this summer, I'll spend the entire winter bulking pushing for 230.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #997
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
I've dropped about 25 pounds. I taped before and then again today and I know I've dropped 8-9% bodyfat. So I subtracted the bodyfat from my weight and I have 7 unaccounted for lbs.

I'm hoping a good chunk of it was water weight, but losing that much in that time I know I dropped some lean muscle too. I'm currently trying to rationalize my strength drop at the gym today as the Arizona heat wearing me down all morning. Abs, veins, and vascularity are awesome, but I feel ****ing tiny.

Screw it, once I'm done reeling in ass this summer, I'll spend the entire winter bulking pushing for 230.
Screw this weight loss thread... this winter we need to start a weight gain thread
Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #998
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Screw this weight loss thread... this winter we need to start a weight gain thread
Done and done. Mid September I'm opening it and throwing a little girl fit until one of the mods sticky it.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #999
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Done and done. Mid September I'm opening it and throwing a little girl fit until one of the mods sticky it.
I'm in...

Might be a good way to keep us all acountable during winter.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #1000
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

That's it, I can't stands it no mo ....

Been on Atkins since June 2. Drank moderately maybe 6-8 days, cheated on the food part just one day, some watermelon and a hotdog bun.

I'm gonna give in to this craving and go get some Vanilla wafers ... RIGHT NOW!