The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #626
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB-Freak View Post
And people who don't even know how to follow these diets properly...all they do is lose muscle mass and energy.
Yes yes yes .... your energy level dips the first 3-4 days, that's definitely true. The Atkins book explained this pretty well, and it turned out correctly for me: When the body gets used to burning glucose and sugars for energy all the time, and then you cut off the supply to zero, you do lose energy until your body adjusts. That was definitely true for me ... I started zero-carbs on a Monday, and I recall by Saturday I felt great.

As far as muscle mass, that might be true. I've had a tough time gaining much muscle mass even though I lift weights 2-3x a week for about a year. I also stationary bike 30-40 minutes (300-400 calories) 2-3x a week, but I lift before cardio as the experts advise, and I drink a protein drink right after. I don't think I do enough reps (3-6 sets of 8 reps each on 5-6 different machines 2x a week).

Sorry about the attitude, Smiling Elvis Freak, I felt kinda defensive, and for me at least Atkins has dropped about 20 pounds since mid-July.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #627
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

You need to keep a track of your loss in terms of muscle/fat/water mass.

A lot of weightloss that comes from diets like that are from muscle and water mass loss.

I would only say something like atkins is only "acceptable" to those who live a very very sedentary life style.

But weight loss is like living life. You gotta go through a lot of trial and error sessions to find your fit.

Good luck buff.

When I don't feel so lazy, I'll try to contribute to this thread with info and research instead of just talking from my high horse.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #628
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

BB,
I put in that post lazy or too busy. I think you are suggesting to lose weight rapidly at a short amount of time. I am in it for the long haul so my body and mind get used to staying at a specific weight. This dieting to lose weight to "look good for my reunion" is great as a camouflauge but doesnt do anything in the long run. Cutting out fast food is no biggie if i still eat my normal 3 meals. Most people will gain their weight back. I have no excuse to gain it back unless I stop working out.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #629
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

There's something to the carb thing though...I cut a lot of carbs out, lost 24 lbs. and even after I went back to eating more carbs I still kept most of the weight off.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #630
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

weight loss does not mean fat loss.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #631
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
There's something to the carb thing though...I cut a lot of carbs out, lost 24 lbs. and even after I went back to eating more carbs I still kept most of the weight off.
That is so awesome ... you must be very close to your ideal weight now.

I'm still about 30 pounds away from my ideal 225-230 weight. When you start as high as I did, it takes awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn
BB, I put in that post lazy or too busy. I think you are suggesting to lose weight rapidly at a short amount of time. I am in it for the long haul so my body and mind get used to staying at a specific weight.
Well, since I actually AM lazy, I'm more sensitive to such a comment

As far as the "long haul," I really don't know what to expect. Before I moved to Seattle in 2004, I had never been more than 15 pounds or so overweight in my life. Based on working at home at a desk mostly, I gained about 90 pounds in three years (had lunch delivered almost every day). The very definition of "letting yourself go." Anyway, I think I'm lucky because it's been a bit easier on me to lose because it was my first time overweight.

"The long run" remains to be seen, but I am pretty optimistic.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #632
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I greatly encourage everybody who wants to lose big chunks of weight to try Atkins. I started Atkins a couple months ago and started dropping fast. It's simple, just eat nothing but meat, fish, eggs, cheese. Nothing else for two-three weeks (or more, NO cheating: cheating starts the clock over at zero days). You can even eat LOTS and LOTS of these foods, all you want basically, and the pounds will fall off. I can't understand how anybody would not do that for a couple-three weeks.

If you REALLY want to lose weight, and not just talk about it, not just hope for it, that's the ticket. But you can't eat ANY bread, sugar, rice, pasta, nothing other than meat (any kind), fish, cheese and eggs. Small portions of veggies are okay - onions, peppers, broccoli - but no more than 1 cup veggies a day. If you can't follow this plan for three weeks, you just don't wanna lose weight badly enough.
I could not do Atkins. I tried it, and got sick, had no energy, and was a cranky b****. My doctor told me under no circumstances not to cut carbs completely. she said that to lose weight we need a balanced diet, including carbs. I've cut out junk food, soda, fast food and just eat less and better. I added exercise and I've lost 73 pounds since the last day of February.

Incidentally, I want to lose weight, badly, and I've done it without Atkins. I know people who have done it and succeeded, but it definitely wasn't for me.
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #633
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Wow Jana, that's 10 pounds a month ... EXCELLENT!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #634
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

Thank you! Atkins worked for a lot of people, lucky them and I wish I was one of them. I tried all kinds of crash diets, and none of them did the trick for me. I found the old fashioned way worked for me, unfortunately. I was looking for the quick fix, and unfortunately, when you have 149 pounds to lose, a quick fix is not going to work. I put on way too much weight and am paying for it now. I'm halfway to my goal, and will do it. Right now, I just want to see a 1 in front of my weight! 6 more pounds and I will. I haven't seen that since 1994. That is all I am focusing on right now. Once I see that, I will work on my next goal, which is my goal weight. I think if I can keep up the pace I am on now, I should be able to reach my goal weight by May.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #635
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister
Do you have before/after pics, Buff?
No "before picture" per se, but instead here's a photo we just took Friday (10/10). Me holding my size 48 waist jeans from 18 months ago. I've lost 64 pounds and 6-8 inches since then.

If you wanna look skinny, stand next to something tall and thin

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 10-13-2008 at 12:00 PM..
Old 10-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #636
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

I have 4 pounds to go to reach my first goal and then I will post a before and "after" picture.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #637
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaŽ View Post
I have 4 pounds to go to reach my first goal and then I will post a before and "after" picture.
That is so awesome ... reaching your goal will coincide with Halloween. Maybe you can put together some kind of "before and after" costume.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #638
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I'm down 15 lbs since I got back from Iraq.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #639
missingswife
missingswife

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have lost 12 inches off my body and down a few lbs but also 2 pants sizes in 25 days. Body for life eating and working out really works!
Congrats on all the weight loss guys!
missingswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #640
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I think I'm gonna stop congratulating myself so much. I don't wanna take away from the accomplishment, but I had a LOT easier a time losing because I had never been overweight until 2004/05. Seriously overweight people - who've been that way since childhood - they have a brutal, brutal hill to climb. That's a rotten burden to be saddled with. My loss is just baby stuff compared to what they have to go through. I never shouldda got there in the first place.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #641
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

You're lucky, Buff. I started gaining weight when I was 14, and it was all uphill since then. I hit over 200 pounds when I was 19 years old and I am now 33. At the end of February, when I started my weight loss, I was 279 pounds. I am only 5'4" and I don't have a large bone structure. According to the charts I should weigh between 111-147 to be in the healthy weight range. My goal is to get to 130. I have two pounds to go and I will be back at the weight I was at when I was 19 years old. I've lost 78 pounds, and I have 71 pounds left to go to reach my ultimate goal. You are right, Buff. It IS a brutal battle, but the end result is definitely worth it. Especially when your health is at risk. And the end result is rewarding too. I've come a long way, but I still have a long way to go.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #642
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Please don't push too hard Jana.

That is huge change for the body... Take your time.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #643
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

I am. I'm impatient, but I'm not losing fast. I'm hoping to average 2 pounds a week. I've been around there, give or take, so if I stay on that track, I will be happy. As long as I keep seeing loss, then I will be okay.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #644
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

I am 6'1 and weighed 205 last month. I started watching what I eat more (NO FAST FOOD) and drinking lots of water and tea. I went to my doctor 4 days ago and I weigh 194. 11 pounds, not to shabby. Im getting in shape for a physical for the ohio state highway patrol academy. My goal is to be down to 185 this time next month.
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #645
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I am down to 210 pounds ......... So damn skinny now I can fall through my own a-hole and hang myself
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #646
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaŽ View Post
You're lucky, Buff. I started gaining weight when I was 14, and it was all uphill since then. I hit over 200 pounds when I was 19 years old and I am now 33.
Exactly, your situation is through no fault of your own, while mine was just laziness and a busted give-a-damn. Your loss should be praised more than mine and those like me ... overcoming genetics is an amazing achievement.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 PM   #647
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

Oh mine is also busted give a damn and fast food and Starbucks addiction too. The Bipolar Meds made me gain a ton of weight, but my eating habits did not help. Depression made me eat, I wanted to eat, and I just stuffed my face with everything. Now I can't eat much at all, I have no appetite and from being sick, it has helped my weight loss! Incidentally, I reached my first goal of 80 pounds weight loss a few days ago. I am officially under 200 pounds for the first time since 1994. When I saw the 199 on the scale, I almost cried!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #648
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos4life79 View Post
I am 6'1 and weighed 205 last month. I started watching what I eat more (NO FAST FOOD) and drinking lots of water and tea. I went to my doctor 4 days ago and I weigh 194. 11 pounds, not to shabby. Im getting in shape for a physical for the ohio state highway patrol academy. My goal is to be down to 185 this time next month.
I think you can do it!!! Good luck! I started at 279 and I'm at 199 now.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #649
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Iam blowing it .. got all the way down to 215 , now I am back to 220 and holding
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #650
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Iam blowing it .. got all the way down to 215 , now I am back to 220 and holding
Well ****, I guess we're about the same. How tall are you?
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote