The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #601
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Basic Weight Loss Mistakes
Posted Wed, Sep 03, 2008, 4:12 pm PDT
90% of users found this article helpful.
Post a Comment View All 75 Comments A lot of us are out there watching what we eat and exercising, but still not making a dent in our bellies and body weight. There are a few things we are probably not doing, or doing too much of, that would mean major improvements in our health.

Get more sleep. After a very short period of time (about 6 nights), studies show that your glucose levels can rise if you get only 4 to 7 hours of sleep each night. New parents are excluded, but everyone else should try to hit the 8 hour mark as often as you can and get to bed BEFORE midnight. Every hour of rest before 12 a.m. is twice as valuable as the hours after midnight: Our cortisol levels are lowest before midnight therefore our recovery is the highest.

Eating fewer refined and processed foods. Avoid fast and fried food and try to consume as many real foods as you can. It's also imperative to get enough fiber (helps with elimination); fruits and veggies are a great way to fill up.

Avoid sugary drinks and reach for more water. Water is great for so many things like digestion, eliminating toxins in the body, and transporting important nutrients to our cells which need energy to burn calories. Americans drink 20% of their calories, so be careful of that silent pitfall.

Get to know your kitchen. I realize it takes more work, but the simple truth is we eat out or order in too often. There is a greater opportunity to control what is in your food if you cook it yourself.

Slow down. When you do sit down to a meal, don't woof it down. Our culture encourages eating while driving or sitting at our desks. The only time we seem to sit down and enjoy our food is at Thanksgiving. The monks chew each bite of food 100 times (which is excessive), but they also eat only until they are full. They recognize that chewing their food more makes it easier for the body to digest.

Breathe. There are so many days that I don't breathe deeply. In the morning, mid-afternoon, and at the end of the day take a 10 conscious, belly-deep breaths. Close your eyes, pull that air deep into your stomach via your nose and let all the junk out through your mouth. Whether its a stressful day, or you just want to start and end your day on the right foot, breathing is important.

Don't starve yourself. Oddly enough some of you may not be eating enough, and the lack of calories is putting your body into save mode. Our bodies are so brilliant, and if they aren't getting enough food, your metabolism will tell your body to store each and every calorie it receives or to make energy from whatever muscle tissue you have. Not good. Oh and by the way, don't skip breakfast. People who skip breakfast are over 4 times more likely to be overweight.

Do more than exercise. Even if you are working out, you can't eat and drink whatever you want. It really is a three sided puzzle: balancing exercise, food, and (oh yes) the spirit (which stress and happiness play into).

I wish you the greatest of success, and remember, being healthy is like making your bed. It really is something we have to work at everyday.

2007 Gabrielle Reece . All Rights Reserved.

How's everyone doing?
I have gained 10 lbs. since last September...ugh.
But considering the lack of exercise/eating better like I was doing I guess that's not surprising or really that bad...but still...I liked where I was last year at this time!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #602
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

I'm under 240 now. I was 238 when I weighed in Monday. Onward!
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #603
ghwk
Ring of Famer

DOUBLE JESUS MUTHER EFFERS!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin

I've noticed a direct correlation between the amount of beer I drink and my weight. Sierra Nevada's are my downfall.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #604
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Every hour of rest before 12 a.m. is twice as valuable as the hours after midnight
I've heard this before and it makes me chuckle every time. Your body has no way of knowing when it is actually midnight. It's not like we're gremlins or something.

Think about it. How would daylight savings affect your body if this was true? What about changing the time you go to bed or wake up? Any change in schedule would affect your body's perception of when midnight actually was.

It's a myth.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #605
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

That sounds like something Sassy read in an e-mail forward from one of her soccer mom friends.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #606
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Got up to 188 thanks to the Orange Mane weekend. My weight level of 183 seems happy to me. I decided to not miss any exercise since my full day back on Tuesday and no beer drinking this Sunday for football in the morning, Angels in the afternoon and Ducks hockey at 5 PM. By Monday, I should be back at 183. Thanks Sassy and Hogan for making me eat all the food that you didnt touch. I hate to see brauts go to waste.... and porkchops.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #607
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Basic Weight Loss Mistakes
Posted Wed, Sep 03, 2008, 4:12 pm PDT
90% of users found this article helpful.
Post a Comment View All 75 Comments A lot of us are out there watching what we eat and exercising, but still not making a dent in our bellies and body weight. There are a few things we are probably not doing, or doing too much of, that would mean major improvements in our health.

Get more sleep. After a very short period of time (about 6 nights), studies show that your glucose levels can rise if you get only 4 to 7 hours of sleep each night. New parents are excluded, but everyone else should try to hit the 8 hour mark as often as you can and get to bed BEFORE midnight. Every hour of rest before 12 a.m. is twice as valuable as the hours after midnight: Our cortisol levels are lowest before midnight therefore our recovery is the highest.

Eating fewer refined and processed foods. Avoid fast and fried food and try to consume as many real foods as you can. It's also imperative to get enough fiber (helps with elimination); fruits and veggies are a great way to fill up.

Avoid sugary drinks and reach for more water. Water is great for so many things like digestion, eliminating toxins in the body, and transporting important nutrients to our cells which need energy to burn calories. Americans drink 20% of their calories, so be careful of that silent pitfall.

Get to know your kitchen. I realize it takes more work, but the simple truth is we eat out or order in too often. There is a greater opportunity to control what is in your food if you cook it yourself.

Slow down. When you do sit down to a meal, don't woof it down. Our culture encourages eating while driving or sitting at our desks. The only time we seem to sit down and enjoy our food is at Thanksgiving. The monks chew each bite of food 100 times (which is excessive), but they also eat only until they are full. They recognize that chewing their food more makes it easier for the body to digest.

Breathe. There are so many days that I don't breathe deeply. In the morning, mid-afternoon, and at the end of the day take a 10 conscious, belly-deep breaths. Close your eyes, pull that air deep into your stomach via your nose and let all the junk out through your mouth. Whether its a stressful day, or you just want to start and end your day on the right foot, breathing is important.

Don't starve yourself. Oddly enough some of you may not be eating enough, and the lack of calories is putting your body into save mode. Our bodies are so brilliant, and if they aren't getting enough food, your metabolism will tell your body to store each and every calorie it receives or to make energy from whatever muscle tissue you have. Not good. Oh and by the way, don't skip breakfast. People who skip breakfast are over 4 times more likely to be overweight.

Do more than exercise. Even if you are working out, you can't eat and drink whatever you want. It really is a three sided puzzle: balancing exercise, food, and (oh yes) the spirit (which stress and happiness play into).

I wish you the greatest of success, and remember, being healthy is like making your bed. It really is something we have to work at everyday.

2007 Gabrielle Reece . All Rights Reserved.

How's everyone doing?
I have gained 10 lbs. since last September...ugh.
But considering the lack of exercise/eating better like I was doing I guess that's not surprising or really that bad...but still...I liked where I was last year at this time!
This is great advice! I'm trying to live by it! My original goal was to be under 200 by the Saints game and I almost made it. I was 10 pounds shy. It's now 5 days later and I'm only 6 pounds shy. I'm proud of myself because losing 73 pounds in 7 months in 7 months is damn good. I have a long way to go still, but I will get there.
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #608
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Dont post here often...

However, I started charting my progress in the gym. I read where many successfully gym rats wrote down there work outs and compared the results.

I also read the same thing about diet.

I have found that writing down everything that goes in the old gullet has helped over the last month. I am not a slave to the scale, but I know just measuring everything has kept me under the bar, ie the total caloric intake for someone of my weight/size.

Two sites to check out...

http://www.hpathy.com/healthtools/calories-need.asp
&
http://www.calorie-count.com/

Hope this helps.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #609
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Wow ... 258 on Friday. That's 60 pounds in 17 months ... I was 340 in April 2007.
OOPS! I meant to say 320, not 340. I never would've made that mistake when I was fat, but now that I've lost so much, it's easy to exaggerate ... The 60 was correct though.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 09-27-2008 at 08:45 AM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #610
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

WOW congrats BB
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #611
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I greatly encourage everybody who wants to lose big chunks of weight to try Atkins. I started Atkins a couple months ago and started dropping fast. It's simple, just eat nothing but meat, fish, eggs, cheese. Nothing else for two-three weeks (or more, NO cheating: cheating starts the clock over at zero days). You can even eat LOTS and LOTS of these foods, all you want basically, and the pounds will fall off. I can't understand how anybody would not do that for a couple-three weeks.

If you REALLY want to lose weight, and not just talk about it, not just hope for it, that's the ticket. But you can't eat ANY bread, sugar, rice, pasta, nothing other than meat (any kind), fish, cheese and eggs. Small portions of veggies are okay - onions, peppers, broccoli - but no more than 1 cup veggies a day. If you can't follow this plan for three weeks, you just don't wanna lose weight badly enough.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #612
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Do you have before/after pics, Buff?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #613
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I dropped 10 in the last two weeks, 10 to go and no more being taped for me!
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #614
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Got up to 188 thanks to the Orange Mane weekend. My weight level of 183 seems happy to me. I decided to not miss any exercise since my full day back on Tuesday and no beer drinking this Sunday for football in the morning, Angels in the afternoon and Ducks hockey at 5 PM. By Monday, I should be back at 183. Thanks Sassy and Hogan for making me eat all the food that you didnt touch. I hate to see brauts go to waste.... and porkchops.
12 lbs. to go until Diego!
Yeah, John...we forced the food and beer down ya!
Ok...the Cheesecake burrito was my fault
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #615
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I'm new to this thread. I was at 175-178 [yeah it's not much] for about 2 years, but i've been unhappy about that weight. I tried to make a goal for myself of getting down to 160, there really wasn't a time frame set either.

I stopped eating fast food and stopped drinking soda about 3-4 weeks ago. I have a few other nasty habits I need to break (snacking and candy).

I'm currently about 168-170, only about a 5-8 lb difference.

I moved to Japan a little over a week ago, so I haven't been too active. Mostly just walking 1 place to another and esides the Mandatory PT sessions 3 times a week, I haven't done much activities.

Hopefully since i'm back in a location that is capable of bringing waves, i'll get back to surfing more.

Any tips on eating? I'm a big snacker and love candy, it's horrible. Like i said previously, I stopped drinking soda and do not eat fast food (besides subway) anymore.

My goal is 160 for now. 155 would be nice though.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #616
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I also really dislike running. Bad knees run in the family, so I try not to slam them on the pavement.

I like swimming and surfing, but just haven't decided to break the ice and walk over to the gym to do so.

It's a new place for me, I need to get used to it first

edit:

I should add since I arrived in Japan, I've been eating rice with every meal. I'm not sure how good/bad that is.

I don't think eating is such a big thing for me, I just need to exercise/do activities more.

Last edited by Ratboy; 09-28-2008 at 12:34 AM..
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #617
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

If you REALLY want to lose weight, and not just talk about it, not just hope for it, that's the ticket. But you can't eat ANY bread, sugar, rice, pasta, nothing other than meat (any kind), fish, cheese and eggs. Small portions of veggies are okay - onions, peppers, broccoli - but no more than 1 cup veggies a day. If you can't follow this plan for three weeks, you just don't wanna lose weight badly enough.
LMAO YOU GOT IT HORRIBLY WRONG MAN!!!

Jesus where the **** did you get your diet advice from?
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #618
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

BB,
I have lost all my weight doing the non fast food and much much less beer with working out 4 to 6 times a week and mostly on the treadmill. I eat pasta and bread all the time and have never had a problem except over OM weekend. Maybe your diet is for thsoe that are too lazy or too busy to exercise but I feel that help making you like your body when you see it more toned and not flabby from extra skin dripping down. You breath better and making goals like running a 5k a year later on working out does wonders for self confidence and self determination. While you are eating healthy, make yourself healthier and stronger. You might as well do it at the same time.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #619
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB-Freak View Post
LMAO YOU GOT IT HORRIBLY WRONG MAN!!!

Jesus where the **** did you get your diet advice from?
You must be kidding, right? It's one thing if you disagree, it's another thing altogether to say "LMAO THAT'S HORRIBLY WRONG."

Sorry, but you're exposing yourself as lacking any serious knowledge of diet and nutrition. Low-carb diets are far more than just Atkins anymore. Ray Kurzweil (the synthesizer inventor), relied heavily on low-carb, low-sugar diet in his award-winning book "Fantastic Voyage- Live Long Enough to Live Forever" book:
And that's not all ... simple carbs like pasta, breads (except whole grain breads), rice, and all sugars, are becoming demonized more and more and more by serious diet plans: Ketogenic, SugarBusters, South Beach Diet, Anne Collins, The Zone Diet, Rosedale, Atkins and others. I shouldn't have to explain this stuff, ferhevinsake the USDA completely re-shaped its venerable food pyramid to DE-accentuate simple carbohydrates.

Although "zero" carbs is not the best nutrition advice per se, it is also not at all dangerous to eliminate all carbs from your diet. With the exception of some vegetable fibers and proteins, carbs provide little if any real nutrition (though many vegetables are vitamin rich).

But we're talking about WEIGHT LOSS here, and the VERY FASTEST route to weight loss (save starvation or liquid diets) is carb-restricted diets. That's just fact. Even those who persist in criticizing low-carb diets readily admit users lose pounds quickly, instead they fall back on dire (and largely unsubstantiated) warnings of high cholesterol risks. (Click here and read under the heading "Diet Basics." http://www.everydiet.org/diet/fat-burning-diet .... See? Even low-carb diet competitors don't quarrel with the results anymore, it's just pointless. They argue other issues.)

You should really read up on this stuff before embarrassing yourself like that. Here, try these links:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IEO...m=11&ct=result .... this realy knocks down the myths about low-carb diets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet ... good facts here, read it please. This article also discusses high Glycemic-load foods, and how insulin levels spike and can cause health dangers.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #620
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
You must be kidding, right? It's one thing if you disagree, it's another thing altogether to say "LMAO THAT'S HORRIBLY WRONG."

Sorry, but you're exposing yourself as lacking any serious knowledge of diet and nutrition. Low-carb diets are far more than just Atkins anymore. Ray Kurzweil (the synthesizer inventor), relied heavily on low-carb, low-sugar diet in his award-winning book "Fantastic Voyage- Live Long Enough to Live Forever" book:
And that's not all ... simple carbs like pasta, breads (except whole grain breads), rice, and all sugars, are becoming demonized more and more and more by serious diet plans: Ketogenic, SugarBusters, South Beach Diet, Anne Collins, The Zone Diet, Rosedale, Atkins and others. I shouldn't have to explain this stuff, ferhevinsake the USDA completely re-shaped its venerable food pyramid to DE-accentuate simple carbohydrates.

Although "zero" carbs is not the best nutrition advice per se, it is also not at all dangerous to eliminate all carbs from your diet. With the exception of some vegetable fibers and proteins, carbs provide little if any real nutrition (though many vegetables are vitamin rich).

But we're talking about WEIGHT LOSS here, and the VERY FASTEST route to weight loss (save starvation or liquid diets) is carb-restricted diets. That's just fact. Even those who persist in criticizing low-carb diets readily admit users lose pounds quickly, instead they fall back on dire (and largely unsubstantiated) warnings of high cholesterol risks. (Click here and read under the heading "Diet Basics." http://www.everydiet.org/diet/fat-burning-diet .... See? Even low-carb diet competitors don't quarrel with the results anymore, it's just pointless. They argue other issues.)

You should really read up on this stuff before embarrassing yourself like that. Here, try these links:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IEO...m=11&ct=result .... this realy knocks down the myths about low-carb diets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet ... good facts here, read it please. This article also discusses high Glycemic-load foods, and how insulin levels spike and can cause health dangers.
You don't even know what my stance is.

I've known these nutritional facts long before you even read about them.

All these diets stem from the school of Paleolithic diet.

And people who don't even know how to follow these diets properly...all they do is lose muscle mass and energy.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #621
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
Small portions of veggies are okay - onions, peppers, broccoli - but no more than 1 cup veggies a day.
This is the part I was actually laughing at specifically....

Whose diet advice is this?
Old 09-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #622
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
BB,
I have lost all my weight doing the non fast food and much much less beer with working out 4 to 6 times a week and mostly on the treadmill. I eat pasta and bread all the time and have never had a problem except over OM weekend. Maybe your diet is for thsoe that are too lazy or too busy to exercise but I feel that help making you like your body when you see it more toned and not flabby from extra skin dripping down. You breath better and making goals like running a 5k a year later on working out does wonders for self confidence and self determination. While you are eating healthy, make yourself healthier and stronger. You might as well do it at the same time.
Lazy? Hmmm.... I'll just forget you said that bcj.

But as I re-read your post, it sounds like you're arguing with yourself more than arguing with a low-carb diet. FYI, fast food is loaded with processed sugars and other simple carbohydrates. Fries are about 90% simple starchy carbs, buns, breading, sugars, sodas, etc... all processed sugars and starches galore. And I never said low-carb diet was the ONLY way to lose weight, I just correctly pointed out it's the FASTEST way. I don't disagree with you ... a person can lose lots of weight on a diet including some sugars and simple carbs, and exercising like you did. But I'm here to tell you, I lost about 42 pounds over 14 months exercising and cutting back on calories. But nine weeks ago I started Atkins and have lost more than 20 pounds since then. There is simply no other explanation.

(And btw - beer is L O - H O - H O A D E D with carbohydrates).

It's simple, really ... think about the SCIENCE of it: Human beings have been around and have evolved for about 10,000 years. Sugars and simple carbs have been around only maybe 150-200 years. Our metabolisms are more attuned to raw, unprocessed foods. No simple carbs of any kind. Fact is, ketosis and lipolysis are natural body states, not unusual at all.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 09-29-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #623
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB-Freak View Post
This is the part I was actually laughing at specifically....

Whose diet advice is this?
Mostly Atkins diet. But now SugarBusters, Fantastic Voyage Life-Extenders, Rosedale, The Zone and South Beach. Low-carb diets can be bad if you over-consume saturated fats ... but basically there's been no other risks identified with it. Hey, I don't get commissions from South Beach Diet books or anything, I've just read up on it and know it's worked remarkably well for me.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #624
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

John Berardi's tips

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #625
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Refined carb and simple sugar should be a sin if you want to lose weight.

GI-spike does make you vulnerable to fat storage...

But cutting all carb is not a good idea especially for someone who at least maintains a somewhat active lifestyle and jobs.

Can you somehow refer to the part where all those diets can say that you should only have at most 1 cup of veggies a day? Never heard it.