The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #576
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

ONE YEAR: 46 pounds lost!
June 1 to June 1 .... 320 to 274.

Q: ANY IMPORTANT LESSONS LEARNED?
A: Yes, there IS a "SECRET" to losing weight, and it's not starvation...
It's a magical state variously called 'lypolisis' or 'ketosis,' where your body stops using glucose (that insulin takes from the carbs you eat) for fuel, and instead starts feeding off the stored body fat you have.

It's basic bio-evolution: When humans' food was scarce, our bodies evolved to crave glucose-rich foods, and we stored the glucose as fat we could use for energy in times of need/starvation. But NOWADAYS, food is never scarce, so we don't need to store glucose as fat. But our evolutionary drive to store that fat ios still there ... we keep eating glucose/sugars/carbs, and our body keeps storing and storing and storing them. We never use those stores, because we're never short of food. You can actually eat basically ALL YOU WANT ... and still lose weight. BUt eat only protein and fats.

It's like we keep storing and storing and storing a warehouse, but never use those stockpiles because we never need them. Thus, we're fat.

My exercise is great - 40-60 minutes on the bike 3x a week, the digital readout says betwen 400-500 calries burned each time. But I'm really hoping to trigger that ketosis/lypolosis state. According to Atkins, you must eat ZERO carbs for a minimum two weeks to trigger that response, and I haven't had the push to go quite that far yet.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 06-23-2008 at 02:00 PM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #577
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Looks like you all just need to eat at McDonalds more often. From abc news:

Chris Coleson battled his weight for years, but when he had trouble sliding into a restaurant booth it boosted and fueled his desire to drop the excess pounds. But rather than try conventional diets, which had failed him before, the then 276-pound Coleson opted for his own "realistic" solution in December: he'd only eat at McDonald's. After six months on his McDiet, Coleson lost 80 pounds and dropped 14 pants sizes. His waist went from 50-inches to 36. "I didn't make my goal of 185, but I've made some great lifestyle choices and I'll make that goal," the 42-year-old said on "Good Morning America today.

Supersized Slim Down

Coleson's goal was to hit 185 pounds by his wedding anniversary, which is Saturday. Today he only is five pounds short of the goal. His weight loss marks several major milestones in his life. For the first time in seven years, Coleson said he is able to wear his wedding band. "I put the ring on [my wife's] 40th birthday [in April]," he said. It helped keep him motivated and so did the thought of his two children, eight-year-old Meghan and six-year-old James.

"I tried to pick small milestones," Coleson said. Besides wanting to slimdown to his wedding-day weight, Coleson's supersized slimdown also was sparked by his family's history of heart disease. Heart disease killed his mother at age 62 and his father suffered a major heart attack at age 39. "There were nights I'd go to bed and I worried I wasn't going to get up," said Coleson, who admitted his weight was due to overeating. "I would literally sit at the refrigerator and just eat out of the refrigerator," he said. "I would attack the kids' school lunches that [my wife] had prepared the night before." Coleson said he was eating 5,000 calories daily when he was at his heaviest. When he decided to get in shape he relied on a simple idea: "calories in and calories out — I figured it was a simple principle."

Starting His McDiet

When Coleson told his wife of his plans to shape up by consuming only two McDonald's meals a day, she was skeptical. "I initially thought he was crazy," said Coleson' wife Patricia Sumner, on "Good Morning America" today. But the 40-year-old came around when she noticed her husband getting slimmer and even tried it out herself. To date, she's dropped 30 pounds and someone called her "McFit" at her daughter's recent softball game.

Coleson lost his weight by regulating his caloric intake to only 1,400 calories a day. That's well below what doctor's would consider safe for a man his size. Coleson said he was able to lose weight by avoiding the fast food restaurant's extremely popular French fries. He said he never had them once. "I stayed away from the fries," he said. What he did eat were the salads and on occasion he would integrate a hamburger patty on one. "I might break it up and turn into a steak salad," Coleson said.

The Virginia man also would eat grilled chicken salads and sandwiches, walnut salads, and apple dippers sans the caramel sauce. "[The wraps] were a favorite of mine," he said. Though Coleson did say he began to get bored with meal plan until he noticed how well it worked for him.

Coleson regulated his caloric intake to a mere 1,400 calories a day — what most doctors would consider unsafe for a man Coleson's size. In fact, Dr. Christine Gerbstadt, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, called Coleson's a "starvation diet." Coleson also would skip breakfast on his meal plan and kept daily journal, as well as receipts from his exploit, both to keep himself on track and to prove to others that he had actually lost the weight with McDonald's. Coleson also began exercising a few times a week, which he was not doing prior to the McDiet. In fact, he said he used to get winded after climbing four steps.

McDonald's has not released a statement about Coleson's triumph, but the company did tell ABC News "We applaud his efforts and his results." Today is the last day of his Golden Archathon, which has lasted 200 days. To celebrate his new look and life Coleson changed his license plate.

The plate used to read "Old N Fat" and now it says "McFit."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=5198060&page=1

Last edited by Beantown Bronco; 06-24-2008 at 09:06 AM..
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #578
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

ok

Last edited by Orange_Beard; 06-24-2008 at 12:55 AM..
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #579
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

How about a training camp weight loss contest. Seems every year I(we) make fun of players who come in out of shape.
How about we all shape up for training camp?
I don't have too much weight to lose, but I could sure be in better shape. Who's in?
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #580
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I dropped five pounds last week due to stress and eating better.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #581
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

I took a nice long run today. running more and more and pullups. tyring to eat smart. dont have a scale so i cant weigh my self, but i imagine i havnt lost weight

Too much beer/alcohol !!
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #582
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
You guys should pull your jerkoff posts ... this is not a joke thead.
My article is legit.....and just so happened to be published the same day this thread got bumped, so I thought it was rather timely.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #583
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
ONE YEAR: 46 pounds lost!
June 1 to June 1 .... 320 to 274.

Q: ANY IMPORTANT LESSONS LEARNED?
A: Yes, there IS a "SECRET" to losing weight, and it's not starvation...
It's a magical state variously called 'lypolisis' or 'ketosis,' where your body stops using glucose (that insulin takes from the carbs you eat) for fuel, and instead starts feeding off the stored body fat you have.

It's basic bio-evolution: When humans' food was scarce, our bodies evolved to crave glucose-rich foods, and we stored the glucose as fat we could use for energy in times of need/starvation. But NOWADAYS, food is never scarce, so we don't need to store glucose as fat. But our evolutionary drive to store that fat ios still there ... we keep eating glucose/sugars/carbs, and our body keeps storing and storing and storing them. We never use those stores, because we're never short of food. You can actually eat basically ALL YOU WANT ... and still lose weight. BUt eat only protein and fats.

It's like we keep storing and storing and storing a warehouse, but never use those stockpiles because we never need them. Thus, we're fat.

My exercise is great - 40-60 minutes on the bike 3x a week, the digital readout says betwen 400-500 calries burned each time. But I'm really hoping to trigger that ketosis/lypolosis state. According to Atkins, you must eat ZERO carbs for a minimum two weeks to trigger that response, and I haven't had the push to go quite that far yet.

Any suggestions?
Have you read Freakonomics? They have an article about this very thing, if I'm not mistaken. If you haven't read the book, I could try and find the article online for you (or at least summarize it, from my copy of the book). I thought it was pretty interesting.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #584
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Have you read Freakonomics? They have an article about this very thing, if I'm not mistaken. If you haven't read the book, I could try and find the article online for you (or at least summarize it, from my copy of the book). I thought it was pretty interesting.
Yeah, it's the real deal ... scientifically proven. Almost like a magic trick, really. Eat all you want, lose tons of weight. But even wth these simple rules, I'm telling you it's hard to eliminate sugar and carbs - even for the 2-3 weeks it takes to get into the ketosis/lypolosis state.

The food pyramid was BS all along ... the truth is you can actually eat all the roast beef you want - just no bread; all the steak and eggs you want - just no toast and jelly; all the beef jerky, chicken roasters, butter and animal products you want.

The fact that real butter is actually GOOD for weight loss takes a serious change in thinking.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #585
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

I have to say that I've kind of slacked off on eating better, but I have stayed away from fast food for the most part, and I've stayed away from the junk food and sweets and chocolate, and I don't drink alcohol at all or soda, and I do exercise at least 3 times a week and I do eat a lot less than I did before and I'm still dropping weight. I've lost 55 pounds since the end of February, and I'm still losing. I have a ways to go, about 90 pounds to hit my goal weight, but 55 pounds is a long way to have come so far. Just being able to fit into clothes 2-3 sizes smaller than what I used to wear is SO nice. My goal is to be under 200 pounds by OM weekend. (And from someone who weighed close to 300 pounds, thanks to depression and medications, and crappy eating habits, that is a monumentous goal!) But I only have 25 pounds to go to make it there.
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #586
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaŽ View Post
I have to say that I've kind of slacked off on eating better, but I have stayed away from fast food for the most part, and I've stayed away from the junk food and sweets and chocolate, and I don't drink alcohol at all or soda, and I do exercise at least 3 times a week and I do eat a lot less than I did before and I'm still dropping weight. I've lost 55 pounds since the end of February, and I'm still losing. I have a ways to go, about 90 pounds to hit my goal weight, but 55 pounds is a long way to have come so far. Just being able to fit into clothes 2-3 sizes smaller than what I used to wear is SO nice. My goal is to be under 200 pounds by OM weekend. (And from someone who weighed close to 300 pounds, thanks to depression and medications, and crappy eating habits, that is a monumentous goal!) But I only have 25 pounds to go to make it there.
You'll make it! You'll be under 200, and I'll buy you several beers (light beers )

Jana, have you thought about that low-carb Atkins type diet? I finally got going on it, and the trick for me was just stocking up: I bought a platter of 5 dozen eggs, 3 2-lbs blocks of cheese and a 2-pound bag of Mexican 4-grated cheese blend, a dozen cans of tuna, 4 chickens, 3 or 4 one-pound ground beef packages, several packages of steaks, salmon steaks, brats and hot italian sausage. And then eat ONLY THAT stuff. I had so much food to eat, it was much easier. The only carbs I ate for awhile were the Sweet-n-Low and powdered cream in coffee, and the onions and mustard on the sausage or burgers. Been on it two weeks now and have lost 9 pounds. Butter is fine, and so is mayonnaise ... so tuna fish salad is okay ... just no bread.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 07-21-2008 at 01:37 AM..
Old 07-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #587
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Lost 50 pounds since March.

Stop calling me fat.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:29 AM   #588
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Lost 50 pounds since March.

Stop calling me fat.
I never called you fat, not my style.

But I will say this ... recently you said something about staying away from meat as a dietary strategy? If so, I suggest you read a couple of my posts on this page. There IS a magic bullet to weight loss, so easy it's almost like cheating. I would call it "Atkins," but that word is so charged with pre-judgment, just think of it as a Low-Carb diet, one you can do for three months and lose 40 or even 50 pounds.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #589
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:

But I will say this ... recently you said something about staying away from meat as a dietary strategy? .
Nah, not really. Had chicken today. I don't eat much read meat, though.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #590
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

So I decided to drop a few lbs. I had to go up a size in pants recently and that was enough for me. I vowed I would not do it but still ended up having to. First thing I did was put away the ciggys (though I had a minor slip today). Second thing I did was stop buying burritos and donuts in the morning and changed my diet. Third, I joined a gym. Lost 5 lbs in my first week. I can lose weight, no problem. My problem is that I stop doing the things that help (eating right, excercising) and just get plain lazy. I'm determined this time!
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #591
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Old bob:

New bob:

Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 AM   #592
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Sorry, I don't read sign language.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 AM   #593
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Old bob:

New bob:

COngrats dude!

but you're still a douche.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #594
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob thinks He's Changed View Post
Old fat blob:

New fat blob:

Other than you "coming out of the closet" in a 'fat dress'.....WTF is the difference??
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #595
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

More from The New York Times on the truth that low-carb diets, with basically unrestricted protein and fat intake, are 10 times better for weight loss, and they also leave the dieter with a "better cholesterol profile" that the traditional FDA "Food Pyramid" dieters:

Quote:
10 Things to Scratch From Your Worry List

1. Killer hot dogs.
What is it about frankfurters? There was the nitrite scare. Then the grilling-creates-carcinogens alarm. And then, when those menaces ebbed, the weenie warriors fell back on that old reliable villain: saturated fat.

But now even saturated fat isn’t looking so bad, thanks to a rigorous experiment in Israel reported this month. The people on a low-carb, unrestricted-calorie diet consumed more saturated fat than another group forced to cut back on both fat and calories, but those fatophiles lost more weight and ended up with a better cholesterol profile. And this was just the latest in a series of studies contradicting the medical establishment’s predictions about saturated fat.

If you must worry, focus on the carbs in the bun. But when it comes to the fatty frank — or the fatty anything else on vacation — I’d relax.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/sc...o_interstitial

Notice it's an "Unrestricted Calorie Diet" ... basically all the steak and eggs you can eat, all the tuna fish you can eat (mayo is okay), all the cheese and eggs of any kind you can eat, all the chicken, fich, pork, turkey and beef you can eat. And a smattering of veggies. Just no breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit, juice, or sugars of any kind (nutrasweet and saccharin are okay, coffee and diet pop are okay).

Stay on this zero-carb diet 2-3 weeks, and the weight falls off like magic. Then slowly work carbs back into your diet. It's like cheating.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #596
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

For the first time in YEARS I weigh less than 250 pounds. Weighed in today I'm 245. I wish I knew what I weighed in high school but I bet it was more than that my senior year. ONWARD!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #597
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

Quote:
You'll make it! You'll be under 200, and I'll buy you several beers (light beers )

Jana, have you thought about that low-carb Atkins type diet? I finally got going on it, and the trick for me was just stocking up: I bought a platter of 5 dozen eggs, 3 2-lbs blocks of cheese and a 2-pound bag of Mexican 4-grated cheese blend, a dozen cans of tuna, 4 chickens, 3 or 4 one-pound ground beef packages, several packages of steaks, salmon steaks, brats and hot italian sausage. And then eat ONLY THAT stuff. I had so much food to eat, it was much easier. The only carbs I ate for awhile were the Sweet-n-Low and powdered cream in coffee, and the onions and mustard on the sausage or burgers. Been on it two weeks now and have lost 9 pounds. Butter is fine, and so is mayonnaise ... so tuna fish salad is okay ... just no bread.
I tried the Atkins diet, and I was a miserable b****.. lol. When I finally went on my weight loss plan this time, my doctor told me not to go on any "diet", but to change my eating habits and exercise. I am now officially down 61 pounds and only have 19 to go to reach under 200. I don't know if I will reach that by the Saints game, but I will be damn close!
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #598
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Fad diets are retarded. In River Falls the last two weeks I ate pizza, waffle fries, steak, cookies, twix, and FRIED CHEESE CURDS. I still lost 10 pounds because I didn't OVERINDULGE, didn't eat those things EVERY DAY, and kept active.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #599
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

RIGHT ON Jana and Bob ....

I wouldn't call Atkins a "fad diet," but whatever works for you, great.

I went off Atkins this weekend ... but overall I'm 38 down this calendar year, 61 down overall (since May '07).

272 or so now ... shooting for in the 240s
Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #600
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
More from The New York Times on the truth that low-carb diets, with basically unrestricted protein and fat intake, are 10 times better for weight loss, and they also leave the dieter with a "better cholesterol profile" that the traditional FDA "Food Pyramid" dieters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/sc...o_interstitial

Notice it's an "Unrestricted Calorie Diet" ... basically all the steak and eggs you can eat, all the tuna fish you can eat (mayo is okay), all the cheese and eggs of any kind you can eat, all the chicken, fich, pork, turkey and beef you can eat. And a smattering of veggies. Just no breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit, juice, or sugars of any kind (nutrasweet and saccharin are okay, coffee and diet pop are okay).

Stay on this zero-carb diet 2-3 weeks, and the weight falls off like magic. Then slowly work carbs back into your diet. It's like cheating.
This is pretty much what I did for a year...since a year ago last april...lost 24 lbs...(gained a little back...but that's when I went back to cheating big time)...seriously it fell off...and my triglcerides and chloesteral in April were great!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote