The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 AM   #526
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Some magical magician does though!
Don't know if I've ever been referred to as a "magical magician" before...
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #527
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Update: Got down to 182 (that is 36 pound lost since June) and since I went to the mountains to play in the snow (yes, we have some of that white stuff if we go up 5k feet) and have worked out once since Saturday. I think I found at least 2 pounds that have fallen off. Good to be skinny again. Still havent fixed my pinch nerve so I cant lift. Kicking A$$ will have to wait so no need to fear (yet)!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #528
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

BCJ: What's a typical workout for you?

Anyone: Chips and salsa is a healthy snack, right?
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #529
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post

Only if the are loaded with cheese and guac.

Deep fried if possible. A delicious snack.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #530
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post

That's a lot of carbs!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #531
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Study participant Paul Helton poses with whole-grain foods and the refined foods used in the study in a photo courtesy of Pennsylvania State University. Cutting calories helps people lose weight, but doing so by filling up on whole grains may be particularly heart-healthy, new research suggests. (Heather Katcher/Penn State/Handout/Reuters)
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Cutting calories helps people lose weight, but doing so by filling up on whole grains may be particularly heart-healthy, new research suggests.

In a study of obese adults at risk of heart disease, researchers found that those who trimmed calories and increased their whole-grain intake shed more belly fat and lowered their blood levels of C- reactive protein or CRP.

CRP is a marker of chronic, low-level inflammation in the blood vessels, and both abdominal fat and CRP, in excess, are linked to heart attack and stroke.

In contrast, dieters in the study who mainly ate refined grains, like white bread, were able to lose weight, but they trimmed less fat from the middle and showed no change in CRP.

The findings offer yet more incentive for Americans to opt for whole grains over highly processed versions, according to the researchers.

"This is the first clinical study to prove that a diet rich in whole grains can lead to weight loss and reduce the risk of several chronic diseases," Dr. Penny Kris-Etherton, the senior researcher on the study, said in a statement.

She and her colleagues at Pennsylvania State University report the findings in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

In general, experts recommend eating whole grains -- such as oatmeal, brown rice and barley -- rather than refined grains, like white bread and other products made from white flour. Whole-grain foods retain more of the nutrients and fiber components of the grain.

This fact might explain why dieters in the current study showed added benefits when they ate whole grains, according to the researchers. For example, fiber-rich foods may have kept participants' blood sugar levels more stable throughout the day, and this, in turn, may have lowered their CRP levels.

Alternatively, CRP might have dropped because of the antioxidant nutrients that are present in whole grains but depleted in refined ones.

The study included 50 obese men and women who had metabolic syndrome, a collection of several risk factors for diabetes, heart disease and stroke -- such as abdominal obesity, high blood pressure and high blood sugar.

All of the study participants cut calories for 12 weeks, but half were instructed to strive for whole grains, while the rest were told to choose refined grains. The whole-grain group was told to look for products with "whole grain" listed as the first ingredient on the label.

In the end, the average weight loss was about 8 to 11 pounds in both groups. However, the average CRP level dropped by 38 percent in the whole-grain group, while remaining unchanged in the refined-grain group. In addition, while both groups showed a similar change in waistline size, the whole-grain dieters showed a greater reduction in the percentage of fat around the middle.

The researchers recommend that consumers look at labels and be careful to choose products that are good sources of whole grain.

"There are a lot of foods around that claim they contain whole grain but are not really major sources of whole grain," Kris-Etherton said. She suggested looking for foods like oatmeal, breakfast cereals made from whole grains, whole-wheat pastas, granola and popcorn.

As a general rule, she said, consumers should buy grain products that are at least 51 percent whole grain. Products that put health claims about whole grains on their labels are required to contain at least that much whole grain.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, January 2008.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #532
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Ice Tea is my drink of choice now. If I don't make my own I buy Lipton's bottled unsweetened tea and add splenda.
Don't use that. Use Stevia.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #533
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Down 10 since the middle of January.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #534
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Boy do I need to get back into this thread...
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #535
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Study participant Paul Helton poses with whole-grain foods and the refined foods used in the study in a photo courtesy of Pennsylvania State University. Cutting calories helps people lose weight, but doing so by filling up on whole grains may be particularly heart-healthy, new research suggests. (Heather Katcher/Penn State/Handout/Reuters)
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Cutting calories helps people lose weight, but doing so by filling up on whole grains may be particularly heart-healthy, new research suggests.

In a study of obese adults at risk of heart disease, researchers found that those who trimmed calories and increased their whole-grain intake shed more belly fat and lowered their blood levels of C- reactive protein or CRP.

CRP is a marker of chronic, low-level inflammation in the blood vessels, and both abdominal fat and CRP, in excess, are linked to heart attack and stroke.

In contrast, dieters in the study who mainly ate refined grains, like white bread, were able to lose weight, but they trimmed less fat from the middle and showed no change in CRP.

The findings offer yet more incentive for Americans to opt for whole grains over highly processed versions, according to the researchers.

"This is the first clinical study to prove that a diet rich in whole grains can lead to weight loss and reduce the risk of several chronic diseases," Dr. Penny Kris-Etherton, the senior researcher on the study, said in a statement.

She and her colleagues at Pennsylvania State University report the findings in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

In general, experts recommend eating whole grains -- such as oatmeal, brown rice and barley -- rather than refined grains, like white bread and other products made from white flour. Whole-grain foods retain more of the nutrients and fiber components of the grain.

This fact might explain why dieters in the current study showed added benefits when they ate whole grains, according to the researchers. For example, fiber-rich foods may have kept participants' blood sugar levels more stable throughout the day, and this, in turn, may have lowered their CRP levels.

Alternatively, CRP might have dropped because of the antioxidant nutrients that are present in whole grains but depleted in refined ones.

The study included 50 obese men and women who had metabolic syndrome, a collection of several risk factors for diabetes, heart disease and stroke -- such as abdominal obesity, high blood pressure and high blood sugar.

All of the study participants cut calories for 12 weeks, but half were instructed to strive for whole grains, while the rest were told to choose refined grains. The whole-grain group was told to look for products with "whole grain" listed as the first ingredient on the label.

In the end, the average weight loss was about 8 to 11 pounds in both groups. However, the average CRP level dropped by 38 percent in the whole-grain group, while remaining unchanged in the refined-grain group. In addition, while both groups showed a similar change in waistline size, the whole-grain dieters showed a greater reduction in the percentage of fat around the middle.

The researchers recommend that consumers look at labels and be careful to choose products that are good sources of whole grain.

"There are a lot of foods around that claim they contain whole grain but are not really major sources of whole grain," Kris-Etherton said. She suggested looking for foods like oatmeal, breakfast cereals made from whole grains, whole-wheat pastas, granola and popcorn.

As a general rule, she said, consumers should buy grain products that are at least 51 percent whole grain. Products that put health claims about whole grains on their labels are required to contain at least that much whole grain.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, January 2008.

Processeed food is your enemy. And few things are more processed than white bread.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #536
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

That whole-grain story is very interesting Sassy ... runs a bit counter-intuitive to my high-protein diet, but I think I'm gonna jump on the whole-grain train, I could use more variety in my diet. Any bread at the store that says "whole grain"?

My weight loss - by numbers - has slowed considerably. 293 now, which is about where I was the first of the year. I'm definitely not over-eating, either. I'm up to 30 minutes on the Lifecycle bike - heart rate 134 - minimum 3 times a week, plus the weights. Maybe I'm gaining muscle tissue which is heavier than fat ... but that sounds like a cop-out excuse.

My jeans are slowly getting a bit looser ... but the scale won't budge and that's getting me down
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #537
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

well, I have worked out today for the 3rd time in the last 10 days and I am now about 178. How could I lose this much weight without working out much? Add a few more alcohol drinks and a couple of runs to the fast food restuarant/pizza and I figure if you move for about 9 straight days, it is way better than working out. Ask Lynchmob about the 4 hours he helped me on Sunday. Thank God he is a big guy! He doesnt want to admit it, but I probably helped him lose 5 pounds easy. THe move is done so back to normal weight loss/exercise. I dont think I need to lose weight but maybe look at toning and muscle building like abs. That Pilate (whatever it is called) thing seems to work. I am now being told I look to skinny. I do get that from people that dont work out at all. Maybe they are in fear that exercise actually does work?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #538
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I'm guessing an increase in carbs every so often jumpstarts the metabolism. I've noticed that I can eat less all week and every couple of weeks go on a pizza/junk binge one weekend and I think I'll gain and I actually lose!~ Weird~
Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #539
downpat75
Just Drafted

I piss excellence.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Boss Bailey

Hello, I'm a noob here, and sorry if I ask questions that have been asked already, but damn there's a lot pages in this thread! Anyway I thought I'd jump in the discussion, especially because I too am on a journey to get back into shape. It's cool that there is place like this on a Broncos forum, hopefully everyone's stories of motivation, sucesses, and ideas will help me stay on track.

I'm 5'8" and currently 202 lbs. I've lost about 16 lbs since January mostly from reducing calorie intake, though with the weather slowly improving here in Idaho I'm hoping to get more active with some cardio 4-5 times a week.

My biggest problem is that I'm a picky eater, I find it hard to eat many types of vegetables and low calorie dishes. My favorite foods unfortunately are your heavy pasta dishes, pizza, hamburgers, and general run of the mill fast food. Good thing is I don't like candy or sweets! Any other picky eaters out there with tips?
downpat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #540
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Hi! Welcome to the Mane!
Where are you at in Idaho?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #541
downpat75
Just Drafted

I piss excellence.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Boss Bailey

Thanks!
Pocatello.

Last edited by downpat75; 03-06-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #542
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by downpat75 View Post
Thanks!
Pocatello.
I have one sister in Lewiston...well, technically Clarkston now...and one sister in New Plymouth.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #543
downpat75
Just Drafted

I piss excellence.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Boss Bailey

Cool, I went to school in Moscow, at the University of Idaho. Very close to Lewiston.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #544
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

The sister in Clarkston also went to school in Moscow for awhile.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #545
downpat75
Just Drafted

I piss excellence.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Boss Bailey

Nice, I had many great times there!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #546
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

I'm a picky eater too and I love fast food. Unfortunately, my body does not. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm horribly overweight. So with the encouragement from my doctor, my family and my best friend, (And from getting hooked on The Biggest Loser) I have gone on a diet. I've stopped eating chocolate and all sweets completely, I only eat fast food once every couple of weeks or so, and I found that when I do, I don't eat all of the fatty greasy burgers that I used to. I eat the healthier things they have, like the wraps, grilled chickens and stuff. I did eat pizza today though. I stopped drinking soda and started drinking lots of Propel and water, and started eating more vegetables and fruits, and started doing a lot more cardio. I hit the treadmill for about 40 minutes at about a 3.5 speed about 4-5x a week so far, along with doing crunches and stuff like that. I've definitely cut down my calories and my portion size, and since December have dropped 26 pounds. The first 11 I didn't know I dropped, it was med induced. I gained two of that back and realized that at the end of December. At the end of February is when I started trying to lose weight, and from then up until now, I've lost 16 pounds on my own. I have a long way to go, but it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I have a ways to go with eating better foods, but I learned that if I eat 5-6 times a day small meals or snacks, and eat healthy snacks, then I'm not as hungry at mealtimes and I don't eat as much.. plus it keeps my metabolism up and I continue to burn calories. It works.
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #547
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Good luck Jana!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #548
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

Thank you!
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #549
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

I saw Jana mention it, but if anyone that is trying to lose a significant amount of weight is looking for inspiration they should watch the biggest loser. It's an amazing show. Yes, the contestants get their butts kicked by their trainers but they also learn how to change their life through diet and exercise. Fast food and regular soda can not be in a person's diet that is trying to lose weight. A friend of mine kicked regular soda alone and lost 15 pounds in just over a month. He was a two to three soda a day guy.

Although I'm not extremely over weight I got a little chubby near the holidays and was about to break 200 pounds. Might not sound like much, but I'd never weighed that much. I've always been pretty active but I had slacked big time. My body fat was approaching 30% for a person that had always been in the teens and even single digits at times. Since the new year I've lost 14 pounds by exercising 5 times a week and cleaning up my diet. Everything from skiing, weight lifting, hiking, basketball and elliptical machine.

I'm down to 186 and have about 6 more to go to get where I want to be.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #550
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I've become a big fan of Snickers Marathon Bars. I'm on a low fat, high protein, high fiber diet right now and they certainly do the trick there. One bar has 22 grams of protein (40% DV) 11 grams of dietary fiber (44% DV) and about 50-100% of all the major vitamins, etc. And they taste about 1,000 times better than any other power bar type alternative I've seen out there.

They get the Beantown Bronco stamp of approval.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote