The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #451
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Eat one burrito instead of two. Works for me. One baked potato instead of two. One sandwich instead of two. You get the picture. Lots of walking can't hurt. I have about 20 more pounds to lose myself. I ballooned up over a couple years also. I still was going to the gym, walking, etc. but I just can't eat like I used to.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #452
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Amputation.
i find it ironic bob even bothered to contribute to a "weight loss" post.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #453
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Running or swimmming plus a change in diet....you will see results in about a month.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #454
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

I know it sounds cliche but diet and excersise. More speficially running
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #455
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

A lot depends on your work and life schedule. Assuming you live the M-F, 9-5 lifestyle (and you want to lose the weight quickly), here are some suggestions:

* Work out twice a day - Do the first workout as soon as you wakeup, before you eat. This gets your metabolism going for the rest of the day. Do the second workout at the end of the day, preferably before you eat. This speeds up your metabolism to burn fat while you sleep.

* The Workouts - You said you're not a gym person and that's ok, there are things you can do instead of going to a gym (although going to a gym on a routine provides structure). Ideally, you'll want to do cardio for 30-45 minutes - this can be jogging or even power-walking if that makes you feel more comfortable. After doing cardio, implement a brief "core-workout" for about 10-15 minutes. This should consist of push ups, free squats, abs, exercises where you control your own body weight. Try mixing up your workouts about every 2-3 weeks or so. Variety in training is a key, mix in distance stuff (30-45 minutes without stopping), high-intensity (sprints, calisthenics), interval training (slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up) - just keep switching it up so your body doesn't get used to a particular workout.

* Try eating more small meals instead of few large meals - After your morning workout, eat something small like an apple and bowl of non-sugared cereal. 2-3 Hours later, have some veggies like carrot sticks. Around lunch time, try a turkey sandwich with no mayo and a small cup mixed fruit. 2-3 Hours later, have some veggies again. When you get home, have something like grilled chicken with steamed veggies. Following your last workout, have a fruit like peaches for a desert. Another okay desert are sugar free Popsicles.

* Stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed. Don't allow food to settle in your system as you sleep.

* No soda, junk food or fast food. Try making a plan for the day on how to avoid these items.

* Drink lots of water. This is the gasoline for your body. You should always be drinking water.

* Always stretch. Stretch before your workout, after you workout and even during the day. This keeps the circulation going in your body, improves flexibility, and will help your skin adjust to the lost weight.

* If you do change your mind about the gym, low weight and high reps will only help you in the long run. Weight training can help burn fat over a long period of time.

Last edited by montrose; 02-17-2008 at 03:38 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #456
sixtimeseight
Ring of Famer

Diet and exercise are the only ways to lose weight. Other methods might work at first, but will always fail in the end. I know you were hoping to hear something else, some new miracle diet or something, but it ain't happening.
sixtimeseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #457
TheDave
Sauced...

Eat less... move more.

Sounds easy, but you would be amazed at how many people can't figure that one out.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #458
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

Seriously, the first thing I always do is switch from a few big meals a day to five or six small ones - just barely enough to tie you over for a few hours.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #459
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Go to work in the oil patch
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #460
broncoblue
english not british!!

sex
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #461
Cito Pelon

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Running or swimmming plus a change in diet....you will see results in about a month.
Swimming is actually a great calorie burner in a short amount of time with little wear and tear on the joints. I don't do it myself, but maybe I should start. I firmly believe everybody pees in the pool, though. So that would limit me to local ponds, and fish, turtles and frogs pee and **** in there. Well, maybe swimming isn't such a good idea.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #462
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

I've lost about half a stone in the last six months by doing a fairly minimal amount of exercise, but more critically by eating less..

I haven't cut out any one type of food - absolutley no type of food has been 'forbidden' or 'bad' I just have less of it. You spend a week or two being a bit hungry but after a while you find you can't eat as much.

A year ago if i went to a subway for lunch I just had to have a footlong or I'd be worried I'ds be hungry all afternoon. Nowadays I can't eat a whole footlong without giving myself stomach ache!

Eat untill you're nearly full - not stuffed. Get used to not feeling like you have to be bursting at the seams to be satisfied.

But also try to get whatever excercise you can because diet alone doesn't do it - if you only diet you can just slow down your metabolism. Long walks can be a very good way to lose fat - low intensity for a long period of time is often better for weight loss than high intensity over a shorter period of time.

I'm not an expert but I do really feel that the basics of getting yourself in shape are fairly simple, and whilst some willpower is required in the early days to change your habits once you get going you can get used to the new lifestyle and it gets easier.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #463
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I'm a former collegiate wrestler who had to "SUCK WEIGHT". Here are a few tricks I picked up to drop weight.

Drink two glasses of water before a meal.
Replace candybars and refined flour snacks with fruit and vegetables.
Order salad at the restaurant instead of their 1500 cal mega portions.

As mentioned before don't eat after 8 pm and try to walk first thing in the morning before you eat.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #464
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
I've put on about 50 pounds over a two year period and I feel like crap. I'm 5'9" tall, and weigh about 205. I always feel like I have no energy since I put on this weight. It's like a vicious cycle.

I'm trying to drop some pounds and get back to my normal weight of 150-155.

Some things to consider: I'm not a gym kind of dude. I do enjoy walking, though.

So what is the best way to lose some weight considering I'm trying to find the easiest way of doing it. Any suggestions?
Before we give you advice, there are some basic questions that you need to answer - What your typical weekly diet currently look like. Are you eating a lot fried foods and processed stuff(ie Mcdonalds). Are you eating breakfast? Lots of processed suger? Are you snacking out of the vending machines at work? How much soda are you drinking? Do you have times to run/walk do someform of cardio three times a week?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #465
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I do water aerobics and ride bike....(well the bike from spring until winter!)

I cut my carbs in half...after awhile you don't crave them as much anymore.
(Nothing or very little "white" including potatoes, rice, white flour, sugar~whole
grains are absorbed into your body at a slower rate and it's better for you.)

Cut out the coffee drinks...unless it's nonfat/sugar free...millions of calories in a mocha!)

Cut out the eating out/fast food.

Bring your lunch to work.

Have healthy snacks in your car!
(cuts the urge to go through the drive through!)

Cut out ALL SODA even the diet! (I have a hard time with this one!)

Eat smaller meals more often.

I've lost 24 lbs. since last April (gained 6 back over the holidays...but I should be able to get that off again once I start back on the bike.)

Check out the weight loss thread in off topics...stickied at the top!
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...69#post1884169

Last edited by Sassy; 02-17-2008 at 05:18 PM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #466
Cito Pelon

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
I'm a former collegiate wrestler who had to "SUCK WEIGHT". Here are a few tricks I picked up to drop weight.

Drink two glasses of water before a meal.
Replace candybars and refined flour snacks with fruit and vegetables.
Order salad at the restaurant instead of their 1500 cal mega portions.

As mentioned before don't eat after 8 pm and try to walk first thing in the morning before you eat.
How about walking right after you eat? Dom mentioned eating small meals more often, and I've done that. For me, walking the dogs or doing anything physical for that matter right after eating seems to give me more energy as the day goes by.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #467
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Damn guys, thanks for all the great responses.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #468
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Dont eat when its late. Avoid heavy fluid consumption for 30 minutes after ingesting salts.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #469
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Weigh yourself in the am naked before you eat!

But try NOT to watch the scale...try only weighing yourself once a week and don't get discouraged!

Last edited by Sassy; 02-17-2008 at 05:21 PM..
Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #470
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

I hate running but I enjoy riding my bicycle.

When I do hit the treadmill, headphones help me fight through it.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #471
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. My weight had ballooned to about 300lbs (6'4" btw) after spending my collegiate life as an athele playing soccer on scholarship. My problem was one that most people have to face sooner or later. Eating out everday coupled with too much alcohol comsumptio (gogo empty calories) and eating way too many processed foods and foods with artificial sweetners (i'm looking at you diet soda).

You need to educate yourself on not just what foods are healthy, but why those foods are healthy. This takes time. Once you get there, you can develop a meal plan with foods that you like. You will learn to eat several "meals" a day, etc. This is step 1. In my weight loss journey, I lost about 60 lbs doing nothing (read: zero exercise) but eating healthy.

Now step 2 is where you have to start exercising to lose that last bit of weight. I would start by just running/walking 2 miles twice a week at a local track, and eventually worked up to 7 miles 4x a week. You just have to find something that works for you. From a guy that could easily play an entire soccer match (90+mins), it was a real shock to me that I could only get 2 miles in at the track at first. It was a real eye opener to me.

As was mentioned above, the bones of it all are simple. You need to take in less calories than your body burns in order to lose the weight. Something like weight watchers, for example, is a good way to educate yourself about portion sizes and what foods are good. This is a good way to go if doing the research yourself is overwhelming, as it is to some people.

Anyway, I"m currently down to a much better 215lbs from the 300. My only real advice to any of this, is that this is a lifestyle change. Don't start down this path if you are not committed to doing it and staying with it because it won't do you any good. After I realized I needed to do something, it still took me over 6 months to get started because it just took me that long to be able to commit to the lifestyle change. IMO, that is the most important part about any of it. Once you can commit to the lifestyle change, it's only a matter of time before you see results.

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 02-17-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #472
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Dont eat when its late. Avoid heavy fluid consumption for 30 minutes after ingesting salts.

Sorry, but I have to ask... What is that suppose to accomplish?
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #473
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I was wondering the same thing myself!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #474
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Throw some ankle weights on when you do those walks. A 2.5lb weight on each ankle should be good for starters. Doesn't seem like much but it will increase your cardio by a good 15-20%.

Eat a little less.

Find some alternate sources for protein that are low in calories and sugars. I personally like the Special K mixes (Iced Tea). 5g of sugar and only 30 calories. Drink one of those before a meal and you'll find yourself eating much less at lunchtime/dinnertime.

Find your own niche. What works for me may not work for someone else. I've started mixing in some strong workouts and usually play ball two or three times a week and so far I've only lost about 3 lbs but I feel a lot better and I'm gaining a lot of muscle as well. Eventually the muscle will start to burn fat as well. I'm 6'1 and 230lbs. I'd like to get down to 200 but I kind of doubt I'll get close to that b/c the amount of muscle I'm adding won't allow it. I will be in better shape though and that's truly what I'm after.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #475
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I'm guessing here but I'd say it probably has something to do with water retention. Usually more common with females but eating salts and water retention go hand in hand to one degree or another. Again, just a guess at what he's talking about.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote