The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #226
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydensmom View Post
Everyone is doing so great!!! I'm so proud of you all. I on the other hand are till on the divorce diet. I don't feel like eating, which isn't good, I know, but my roomie cooks me dinner every night. I'm 2 pounds from my goal weight, which is good.. And did buy size 10 pants at the gap saturday....better yet they were 4.97
Losing weight is losing weight I guess!

I had a bad breakup in '96 and I over-ate, ballooned to 255. I have to laugh now - 10 years later and that's my goal-weight.

Sassy, when I'm doing sets at the Y lately and I'm ready to quit, I think of that bike of yours in the garage (and the vacuum cleaner!) I actually laugh for a moment! But seriously, the number of miles you manage on that thing is impressive as hell. To me at least.

I wanna hear more about stg's training ... are u a marathoner? I've never heard about that.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #227
smalltowngrll
Orange
 
smalltowngrll's Avatar
 
Blue

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 7,942

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh
Default

Marathoner, I am not. I have no desire to do a full marathon. Those things tear your body up. I may do one some day, but that would be just so I could say I did one. I love the half-marathon distance. It's a challange, but it doesn't kill you.

My training is all but complete. The race is in two weeks and there's not much I can do to get any better now. The good thing about a half-marathon is that once you've trained for one, you can easily pick back up with the base you've already set. I really slacked over the winter (winters are always so difficult for me to be consistent with my workouts) and put on some weight and my cardio and muscle decreased significantly. My problem usually comes in when I start back into my training. I think I should be at the same level as where I left off. Well, it doesn't work that way. But, it's typically easier to get back to it since I've already created that base. My longest run this training was 10 miles last weekend. I did another 7 miles today and will do 7 miles next weekend before the race. It's all up to the endorphins at this point. My last half marathon I didn't train for at all and only did it with a 5 mile base (5 miles being my longest run in the weeks leading up to that race).

Now, to address the comment on "losing weight is losing weight". Not all weight loss is GOOD weight loss. For instance, if you are not eating correctly, your body will start to burn muscle instead of fat. You'll drop weight on the scale, but you won't be dropping the proper kind of weight. That's why you don't want to lose more than 2-3 pounds in a week. Because, after that, you are losing muscle not fat (unless one is obese and has reduced their normal caloric intake significantly). I've been guilty of the whole starvation thing myself. Some instances on purpose, some instances due to circumstances.

Also, another great suggestion for buring fat, drink a LOT of water. Water helps flush your system out of the toxins that are created from your body burning the fat. When you workout, you deplete your muscles of glycogen. The best way for glycogen to get back into the muscles is through binding with water.

Last edited by smalltowngrll; 06-09-2007 at 04:14 PM..
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #228
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

I've found that I"m eating a lot more protein...meat, nuts, cheese...with skipping more carbs, I'm hungry...but I'm still keeping the weight off because I'm working out more. I find that I'm also always hungry after a workout.

Stupid bike btw...the kickstand fell off...AGAIN! Twice since I bought it so I'm calling Scheels to see what they can do (and they reattached it two weeks ago! They also put the lock on and it fell off and is missing...I'm pissed about that!) However, I do like the "bike" itself.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #229
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Oh yeah! 12 lbs. in 7 weeks!
Not too shabby!
It's coming off slowly...but I'm getting there!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #230
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

I had an 'adventure' at the Downtown Seattle YMCA today.


I finished my workout and climbed into the big whirlpool. The only guy in there was a Y employee who just got off work. Bald and doughy white with a "menacing" Van Dyke beard. We began talking, but every few minutes I start slowly floating up to the top. So I ask him, "what's with this hot tub? I'm floating here."

He must not have known who he was dealing with, because he gets this righteous smirk on his face and says, "that just means you have a high body fat index." Then he smirked again. It was the second smirk that did it. I couldn't sit there and absorb that kind of verbal onslaught, so I grab my towel on the ledge of the tub, briskly force it underwater to drench it, and brought it out with a really powerful roundhouse fastball. The wet towel smashed square into his face with a loud, percussive echo, and the loose end spun around his head and reverberated with a second snap to his forehead. "AT LEAST I HAVE HAIR!", I screamed as I bolted outta the tub, grabbing my clothes with both hands as water flew off me and I darted for the lockerroom exit.

"Stop!" the pasty man screamed through a mouthful of water as he sloshed out of the tub. He was a good four or five seconds behind me, but I wasn't satisfied. Bald fools with Van Dyke beards bent on vengeance will stop at nothing, so I needed to get further ahead of him. I darted into the stairwell and ran down two flights to the third floor. As I pulled on my pants and shoes in the stairwell, I realized this situation called for a series of desperate maneuvers. So I open the door and walked into the third floor office space, intending to cross over to the stairwell on the opposite end of the building. What I saw there nearly caused me to rethink that maneuver. The YMCA had apparently run out of the free sack lunches they hand out to homeless people every Monday. Not wanting to disappoint, they were passing out tabs of blotter acid to the last dozen or so homeless people in line. As I sped-walked past them, I heard one say, "thank you so much." Thank you indeed, I thought. I recognized that acid. With the light blue Chinese fighting dragon printed on it. Those poor bastards will rue the day they ever heard about the downtown YMCA. Free lunch, my ass.

As I slipped into the stairwell on the far side of the floor and bounded down toward the second, I knew my lead on Pasty Van Dyke still wasn't safe. It was then that I spotted something that would fulfill a basic human need of mine I'd been neglecting. The second floor was the laundry, and I was walking right past a very tall stack of freshly laundered white towels. The good kind - with the rough texture - just right for exfoliation. 'I've come this far,' I thought. So without missing a step, I splayed out my right hand as wide as it would go and plunged it into the warm dry stack. I came away with a good eight or ten, squeezed tight, and smoothly rounded the final stairwell toward the ground floor. I needed to get out of the building at once.

When I burst out the street-level door, a bolt of cold slapped my still wet body as I raced toward the intersection of 4th and Madison. I couldn't slow down, the stakes were far too high. I bolted directly into the intersection on a dead run, kiddy-corner northeast toward the Library. It was probably the loose ends of all those white towels flapping in the breeze behind me, because traffic stopped on a dime as I ran. Those towels saved the downtown commuters a nasty snarl at rush hour.

I raced into the lower level entrance - and once inside, the knowledge that this Library is Tredici's favorite building in town quieted me considerably, and I began to feel confident I had lost Pasty. Still, I turned back on the double - toward the corner of the ground floor that gave me the best view of the Y. The Library is made entirely of glass, but the aftennoon sun cast a reflection on its outside, rendering me invisible. I arrived and stood there for a moment, panting and dripping. Sure enough, about three seconds later, out ran Pasty Van Dyke from the main entrance under the canopy. He was stark naked, save for the towel round his waist he clutched tightly with one hand at his hip. With the other hand, he gestured wildly to the hurriedly assembled phalanx of armed YMCA security personnel, pointing red-faced in every direction except at the library. Dumb bastard, I thought. Any fool can see the Library would be the best hideout in a situation like this. I watched him screaming in vain, and was able to make out a few words. "A big, fat bastard," he yelled. He had me there. At a conspicuous 6'6" and 302 pounds, my visits to the downtown Y might be over, I thought, eyes on the floor as I slowly plodded toward the escalator and up to the 5th street exit.

As I ascended, one of the smartly placed monitors overhead happened to be showing, on a blind stroke of luck, an interview with the late, great Hunter S. Thompson. "Eureka!", I thought, admiring his wardrobe. He had on an old-timer's fishing hat and a pair of aviator sunglasses. That's it! I have hats and sunglasses! My membership is saved ... I'll just choose the appropriate combination of hat and glasses, and calmly saunter into the Y this Wednesday. If Pasty Van Dyke has anything to say, I'll go on the offensive: "YOU DUMB BASTARD," I'll scream, "I'VE BEEN IN DJAKARTA, INDONESIA THE LAST THREE WEEKS BREAKING UP AN AL-QUAEDA TERROR CELL! I just got back last night ... is this all the thanks I get for KEEPING THE HOMELAND SAFE?!" He'll be on his heels in two seconds flat. Probably get an apology too.

I'll get back to you. Right now I have to exfoliate.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 06-12-2007 at 01:27 AM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #231
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

You're cracking me up!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #232
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

As of the 7th, I'm down to 243, from 260.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #233
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Great job!!!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #234
REB
LP.org/L4L.org
 
REB's Avatar
 
"This one's for John!" 3:16

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 'I guess he'd rather be in Colorado'
Posts: 8,412
Default

I got the best workout in today since I started working out again nearly 2 months ago. I did arms, squats, pushups, situps, treadmill and then after I cooled down about 20 minutes I went for a half hr. bike ride around my development. I activated my awesome and it felt damn good

The bike riding was very cool. I use to love to ride my bike but got away from it so it was great to get back on it again. Only problem was my butt hurtin. Sassy knows about that
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #235
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
As of the 7th, I'm down to 243, from 260.



Great job!



I am down to 199 and .... DAMN ... I am looking so good, I'm starting to turn myself on.

Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #236
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy
 
Billy Clyde Puckett's Avatar
 
Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: between 5,000 and 10,000 feet elevation
Posts: 12,480

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Great job everyone!!!

Old Dude it won't be long before you buy that convertible and all the young girls will whistle at you as you drive down the street.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #237
REB
LP.org/L4L.org
 
REB's Avatar
 
"This one's for John!" 3:16

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 'I guess he'd rather be in Colorado'
Posts: 8,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
As of the 7th, I'm down to 243, from 260.

Nice work man!
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #238
REB
LP.org/L4L.org
 
REB's Avatar
 
"This one's for John!" 3:16

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 'I guess he'd rather be in Colorado'
Posts: 8,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post


Great job!



I am down to 199 and .... DAMN ... I am looking so good, I'm starting to turn myself on.

Nice work OD!
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #239
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Thanks for the kind words, everybody.

Even more reason to celebrate. I was looking back in this thread, and my calender here at home where I mark weight and stuff. I actually started at 265, not 260, and am now down to 243. A cool 22 pounds!

I'm quite proud of myself, to say the least. But I really need to focus more on running and ab stuff. For the most part, I've stuck to eating pretty well and lifting weights, but to get to the next level, cardio is going to have to be a commitment.

And @ Old Dude. You're too sexy for this message board!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #240
REB
LP.org/L4L.org
 
REB's Avatar
 
"This one's for John!" 3:16

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 'I guess he'd rather be in Colorado'
Posts: 8,412
Default

I did squats, pushups, abs, treadmill and bike riding again this morning. Phew, I'm beat
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #241
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I had an 'adventure' at the Downtown Seattle YMCA today.


I finished my workout and climbed into the big whirlpool. The only guy in there was a Y employee who just got off work. Bald and doughy white with a "menacing" Van Dyke beard. We began talking, but every few minutes I start slowly floating up to the top. So I ask him, "what's with this hot tub? I'm floating here."

He must not have known who he was dealing with, because he gets this righteous smirk on his face and says, "that just means you have a high body fat index." Then he smirked again. It was the second smirk that did it. I couldn't sit there and absorb that kind of verbal onslaught, so I grab my towel on the ledge of the tub, briskly force it underwater to drench it, and brought it out with a really powerful roundhouse fastball. The wet towel smashed square into his face with a loud, percussive echo, and the loose end spun around his head and reverberated with a second snap to his forehead. "AT LEAST I HAVE HAIR!", I screamed as I bolted outta the tub, grabbing my clothes with both hands as water flew off me and I darted for the lockerroom exit.

"Stop!" the pasty man screamed through a mouthful of water as he sloshed out of the tub. He was a good four or five seconds behind me, but I wasn't satisfied. Bald fools with Van Dyke beards bent on vengeance will stop at nothing, so I needed to get further ahead of him. I darted into the stairwell and ran down two flights to the third floor. As I pulled on my pants and shoes in the stairwell, I realized this situation called for a series of desperate maneuvers. So I open the door and walked into the third floor office space, intending to cross over to the stairwell on the opposite end of the building. What I saw there nearly caused me to rethink that maneuver. The YMCA had apparently run out of the free sack lunches they hand out to homeless people every Monday. Not wanting to disappoint, they were passing out tabs of blotter acid to the last dozen or so homeless people in line. As I sped-walked past them, I heard one say, "thank you so much." Thank you indeed, I thought. I recognized that acid. With the light blue Chinese fighting dragon printed on it. Those poor bastards will rue the day they ever heard about the downtown YMCA. Free lunch, my ass.

As I slipped into the stairwell on the far side of the floor and bounded down toward the second, I knew my lead on Pasty Van Dyke still wasn't safe. It was then that I spotted something that would fulfill a basic human need of mine I'd been neglecting. The second floor was the laundry, and I was walking right past a very tall stack of freshly laundered white towels. The good kind - with the rough texture - just right for exfoliation. 'I've come this far,' I thought. So without missing a step, I splayed out my right hand as wide as it would go and plunged it into the warm dry stack. I came away with a good eight or ten, squeezed tight, and smoothly rounded the final stairwell toward the ground floor. I needed to get out of the building at once.

When I burst out the street-level door, a bolt of cold slapped my still wet body as I raced toward the intersection of 4th and Madison. I couldn't slow down, the stakes were far too high. I bolted directly into the intersection on a dead run, kiddy-corner northeast toward the Library. It was probably the loose ends of all those white towels flapping in the breeze behind me, because traffic stopped on a dime as I ran. Those towels saved the downtown commuters a nasty snarl at rush hour.

I raced into the lower level entrance - and once inside, the knowledge that this Library is Tredici's favorite building in town quieted me considerably, and I began to feel confident I had lost Pasty. Still, I turned back on the double - toward the corner of the ground floor that gave me the best view of the Y. The Library is made entirely of glass, but the aftennoon sun cast a reflection on its outside, rendering me invisible. I arrived and stood there for a moment, panting and dripping. Sure enough, about three seconds later, out ran Pasty Van Dyke from the main entrance under the canopy. He was stark naked, save for the towel round his waist he clutched tightly with one hand at his hip. With the other hand, he gestured wildly to the hurriedly assembled phalanx of armed YMCA security personnel, pointing red-faced in every direction except at the library. Dumb bastard, I thought. Any fool can see the Library would be the best hideout in a situation like this. I watched him screaming in vain, and was able to make out a few words. "A big, fat bastard," he yelled. He had me there. At a conspicuous 6'6" and 302 pounds, my visits to the downtown Y might be over, I thought, eyes on the floor as I slowly plodded toward the escalator and up to the 5th street exit.

As I ascended, one of the smartly placed monitors overhead happened to be showing, on a blind stroke of luck, an interview with the late, great Hunter S. Thompson. "Eureka!", I thought, admiring his wardrobe. He had on an old-timer's fishing hat and a pair of aviator sunglasses. That's it! I have hats and sunglasses! My membership is saved ... I'll just choose the appropriate combination of hat and glasses, and calmly saunter into the Y this Wednesday. If Pasty Van Dyke has anything to say, I'll go on the offensive: "YOU DUMB BASTARD," I'll scream, "I'VE BEEN IN DJAKARTA, INDONESIA THE LAST THREE WEEKS BREAKING UP AN AL-QUAEDA TERROR CELL! I just got back last night ... is this all the thanks I get for KEEPING THE HOMELAND SAFE?!" He'll be on his heels in two seconds flat. Probably get an apology too.

I'll get back to you. Right now I have to exfoliate.
Ha ha ha!

Is this original material, Buff?

For a minute there I thought I was reading Hunter S. Thompson.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #242
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, friend!


It was a mini-homage to Hunter, yes.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #243
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Woohoo! I can ride bike again...no rain at the moment (although it's in the forecast)...I got five miles in before I died...of course, that could be from the humidity or because I haven't touched the bike for three days due to pouring rain! But it was a tough ride.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #244
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Keep it up everyone!!! Great work!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #245
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy
 
Billy Clyde Puckett's Avatar
 
Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: between 5,000 and 10,000 feet elevation
Posts: 12,480

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Good Work all.

13.5 down 18.5 to go. Losses slowed this week as expected. I will probably need to break my routine in some way in a week or so to get over the plateau. Should be able to get back on teh weight machine next week - maybe that's what I need.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #246
REB
LP.org/L4L.org
 
REB's Avatar
 
"This one's for John!" 3:16

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 'I guess he'd rather be in Colorado'
Posts: 8,412
Default

I'm taking today off. The last two days done killed me. Adding the bike with squats and pushups is rough
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #247
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

I added an additional 10.2 miles today to my five this am! Woohoo!
Hey, I bought a pedometer from Target today for a buck...from about 5 pm until 10 pm I took 14,713 steps! Not sure how many miles walked that is! !
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #248
REB
LP.org/L4L.org
 
REB's Avatar
 
"This one's for John!" 3:16

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 'I guess he'd rather be in Colorado'
Posts: 8,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
I added an additional 10.2 miles today to my five this am! Woohoo!
Hey, I bought a pedometer from Target today for a buck...from about 5 pm until 10 pm I took 14,713 steps! Not sure how many miles walked that is! !
Nice job Sass!

How long does it take you to ride that far. Just curious because I've been riding for a half hr at a time but I'm not sure how far that is. I'll have to get me an odometer for my bike. We just ordered a stationary bike for when it's too humid out and for winter time. It's got all the bells and whistles
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #249
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

The 10.2 last night took me an hour and five minutes.
It varies depending on the wind...and how many people are on the sidewalk! (I love riding down Broadway but there are a ton of little shops and usually people everywhere! So that tends to slow me down.) Last night, I would say was about average. I've taken my car that path though...and a block is approx. 1/10 of a mile. About 10 blocks in a mile.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #250
REB
LP.org/L4L.org
 
REB's Avatar
 
"This one's for John!" 3:16

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 'I guess he'd rather be in Colorado'
Posts: 8,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
The 10.2 last night took me an hour and five minutes.
It varies depending on the wind...and how many people are on the sidewalk! (I love riding down Broadway but there are a ton of little shops and usually people everywhere! So that tends to slow me down.) Last night, I would say was about average. I've taken my car that path though...and a block is approx. 1/10 of a mile. About 10 blocks in a mile.


Ok cool. Thanx!
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Denver Broncos