The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default The OrangeMane WEIGHT LOSS Thread

This thread was Rhymesayers idea a couple months ago, but I'm starting it now because I had a harrowing experience two weeks ago: I cut my finger, and it obviously needed to be sewn up. So I went to the hospital - and they put me on a scale .... Now, I'm very much aware of my (relatively-recent) weight problem, and I knew I weighed this much, but it was a groundshaking moment when this hospital scale - clearly an official health oriented piece of equipment - spitted out on the digital readout:
Yes, it had two decimal places.

On the "bright side," I stand 6'6" - 6'7" in shoes, so I'm not exactly a beach ball, but clearly the wheels have come off on my diet and my health. When I moved to Seattle 3 years ago this month, I weighed 230-235 ... and I've never been over 255 ... so I have a real problem here.

I started a diet the next day, and I've lost (ostensibly) 7 pounds already. The diet has been quite easy - so far. I bought a big sack of almonds, and one of raisins, a couple of those big bags of apples and oranges, a couple 18-packs of eggs, pita bread, two of those cannisters of tomatoes, two pounds of lean deli-turkey and a half-dozen avocadoes (I make 'em all the time, Jim), along with canola oil and plain popcorn. Plus, every day (so far) I've briskly walked three blocks to the dog park, circled it and came home ... about 3/4 miles on the odometer.

I'm Inviting All O-Maners to join this thread. Give a capsule history like I gave, and talk about the steps you're taking - SPECIFIC steps you're taking. Critique my ad hoc diet thusfar, and share ideas, recipes, etc ....

Finally, I propose we end each post with two numbers, as such: 13/-7 ... that means "13" days on the diet, and "minus 7" pounds. I'll start at zero though....

1/Even
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Actually I deserve 1 pound for starting this thread ....

1 day/-1 pound
Old 04-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I'm a big Edgar Cayce believer and he was big on Almonds. I tipped the scales at 213 last time and I shouldn't be above 180 even at 47.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

185 days / -38 lbs.

Currently 6'2 217

Grilled chicken salad, unbuttered popcorn, apples & bananas, 20 minutes, 6 days a week on the bike (except for the last month) and lots of gut-wrenching stress.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

38 pounds in 6 months, Old Dude?

CONGRATS! You give me hope!

I like the "Tiger Sandwiches" thusfar, even though I use Pita bread .... are avocadoes okay? And, is there a type of bread that's okay? (I'm assuming bread is bad - that's what I hear).

(BTW, if any smartass suggests meth-amphetamine, you're banned from this thread. I'm looking at you, Atlas.)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
heydensmom
I'm Jack Bauer!

I'll join in, I've been struggling with that last 20 pounds for a good 6 months now

18 months/-127
15 more to go
heydensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm in the military but love my food so weight loss is a constant cycle. Every 6 months I take a PT test (2 mile run, push ups, and sit ups) and have to weigh in. Immediately following my PT test and weigh in I often balloon up to about 250 or so... sometimes a bit higher. I hold the weight well so noone else really notices but I definitely do when I start to come back around to time to lose it again.

Last time I had a PT test and weigh in my wife went back to visit her family and I had my local flag football team in full swing and dropped from about 240ish to like 217 in about 2 weeks eating just a steak or two or a pork chop or two per night. I was out doing stuff all day and I love my grill so it was something I could cook and it worked great. I could never have imagined weight falling off so quick. I definitely think it had something to do with not eating all the breads and other nonsense that are a very common visitor to my diet.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
heydensmom
I'm Jack Bauer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
38 pounds in 6 months, Old Dude?

CONGRATS! You give me hope!

I like the "Tiger Sandwiches" thusfar, even though I use Pita bread .... are avocadoes okay? And, is there a type of bread that's okay? (I'm assuming bread is bad - that's what I hear).

(BTW, if any smartass suggests meth-amphetamine, you're banned from this thread. I'm looking at you, Atlas.)
Avacados are ok, they are high high in fat, but it's the good fat. I don't eat much bread, fills me up to quickly. But if it's a whole grain, none processed type it's a lot better for you then white bread. I adhere to reaching a certain amount of protien a day 50-70 grams. May not seem like a lot, but when your stomach's the size of an egg, that's a lot.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Good luck everybody!
I'm looking to lose a few pounds and get in better shape too...
My goal is 15 lbs. by July!

I'm also big on Almonds...even at 8 bucks a bag.!

I wish the snow would melt so I could get the bike out again (I was doing 10-12 miles almost every day last summer/fall) ...maybe next week. I also do water aerobics...I have bought a "pilates" beginners kits and some 2 lb. weights so I would like to try that out too! What's everyone else doing?

Last edited by Sassy; 04-05-2007 at 09:29 AM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Awesome thread. I need to get on the scale.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Hey HM...if you need a couple of protein ideas...
I throw in some wheat germ and/or I just bought some ground flax seed...into a blender with nonfat vanilla yogurt, bananas, strawberries or whatever, a little orange juice or milk and make a smoothie. Pretty tasty!
(If I'm doing just vanilla yogurt with a banana, I throw in some vanilla and cinnamon/nutmeg.)
Old 04-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

I'm in. I have porked up over the last 3-4 months as I have been on a very strange schedule. When that happens I just grab whatever is handy when I feel hungry and gain weight. Beginning diet Monday. Will probably do an Atkins like diet. I have been doing 30 minutes on a Nordic Trak machine almost every day I am home for the last 4 years.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

What I found works better is small meals/snacks.
I think when I lost 12 lbs. last fall I felt like I was eating all the time!
Even if it was just a sugar free popsicle (Lifesavers ones!) or munching on baby carrots.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Some things that have helped...

Somehow, you've got to get some exercise in with the diet. It might slow down a little of the weight loss, because muscle weighs more than fat, but it will keep things going. I actually understated the bike business. More like 25minutes a day, and I prefer to set it on fairly high resistance. And then I'd sometimes toss in some simple sit-ups afterwards. I've lost 5 inches off my beltline.

Lost an average of about 10 lbs a month over the first 3 months, and now I've slowed down a lot, but the plan is to do a lot of outdoor biking when the weather clears up.

Diet-wise, I've also made use of oatmeal (which I really don't like very much) but it's not so bad if you toss in some dried berries and a little lo-cal syrup.

Whole grain bread/toast has been a goodie, but I use either fake butter or peanut butter (if I'm really starved).

Baked potatos aren't bad, but you have to be careful what you slap on them. I go with fake butter and/or low-fat sour cream.

Dry roasted peanuts aren't too bad, if you don't overdue it. Takes a long tme to chew them up, anyway.

Low fat yogurt helps.

I quit drinking soda (which I wasn't really that crazy about to start with) and drink a lot more water than I used to. Water is much better for you.

When in doubt (or in a hurry), take a shot at some of the "healthy choice" or "weight-watchers" dinners. Not that expensive, easy to fix (and clean up), and it gets you a little more used to reasonable portions.

Things that I've completely given up: chinese food (which is much worse than you'd think), burritos, mayo, sausage, french fries, pizza, ordinary potato chips (the baked kind aren't so bad) fatty ice creams, and anything that remotely looks like a donut or a hostess twinkie.

It also helps to take a break from the diet once in awhile. Once or twice a month, treat yourself to something evil. Then just put in a few more minutes exercise (before or after) and make sure you have enough discipline to go back to the usual stuff. (So if you're going to be evil, make it an expensive, luxurious evil.)

Last edited by Old Dude; 04-05-2007 at 12:00 PM..
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Alright, i'm in.

I am 5'11 and 205 with 25 lbs of pure belly. I played at 170 but a realistic goal should be 180.

I have been in shape all of my life until the second ACL in 2005. My son was born 3 months into rehab and I never finished it properly. I take care of both my kids during the day unless I have clients or practicum (group training). My daughter goes to school a half day every day and I never seem to be able to work out anymore while she is gone. That is always when I went before my son was born. I need to resume my workouts and finish my left leg rehab.

Another problem is that I cook for the family and if my wife is not "on board" I make foods that are not conducive to weight loss I never had a problem eating all that I do when I was burning 3500+ calories a day. Now, I have put on thirty five lbs eating the way I used to eat.

I convinced her to use Bill Phillips "Body for Life" plan back in 2001 when we had our first child because his plan is simple, easy to follow, and includes both exercise and diet. This has both science and results behind it. I did it with her and we were both did very well with it until the holidays rolled around and we quit doing it. Check out Bodyforlife.com for the particulars of the diet. Bill Phillips used to work with TD and Romo during the Superbowl years and is a good DEN guy to boot
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #16
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Just found this gem! What a great idea.

I'd like to drop a good 20 pounds prior to the end of June (race time).

Winter is always a tough time for me as I tend to put on about 10 pounds because I'm not outside running due to the fact that it gets dark so early and is dark when I wake. I'm not really into running on the treadmill.

Anyway, I've found in the past it was really helpful to log the foods I eat and the exercises I do each day. I use www.fitday.com . It's free to set up your account and there are a lot of foods already in their system. You can add your own if you want. Also, you can enter the exercises you do each day as well. I've found that it's way too easy to eat more calories than you really think you are. When I look over a week's time in the reports section, I can then see what my calorie deficit is and I should know about what my weight loss is at that point.

Right now I'm training for a half marathon, so I know that I'll lose fat rather quickly...however, I'm also putting on muscle at the same time through lots of weight training, so I can't use the scale to judge my success. It sucks because I'm such a numbers person.

Anyway, having to account for your actions is ALWAYS a motivator...so, I'll bite!

13 days/-3
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #17
heydensmom
I'm Jack Bauer!

Thanks Sassy, I do Isopure vanilla protien powder. There's a lot of stuff I can't tolerate...OJ being one of them...but that sounds very good.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #18
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

I started my diet mid-February at 240 pounds (yes I know) but have been hitting the gym virtually every day (excluding the past week, as vacation got in the way) but as of this morning I was down to 223 and want to drop another 20 by the end of June.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #19
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Alright, i'm in.

I am 5'11 and 205 with 25 lbs of pure belly. I played at 170 but a realistic goal should be 180.

I have been in shape all of my life until the second ACL in 2005. My son was born 3 months into rehab and I never finished it properly. I take care of both my kids during the day unless I have clients or practicum (group training). My daughter goes to school a half day every day and I never seem to be able to work out anymore while she is gone. That is always when I went before my son was born. I need to resume my workouts and finish my left leg rehab.

Another problem is that I cook for the family and if my wife is not "on board" I make foods that are not conducive to weight loss I never had a problem eating all that I do when I was burning 3500+ calories a day. Now, I have put on thirty five lbs eating the way I used to eat.

I convinced her to use Bill Phillips "Body for Life" plan back in 2001 when we had our first child because his plan is simple, easy to follow, and includes both exercise and diet. This has both science and results behind it. I did it with her and we were both did very well with it until the holidays rolled around and we quit doing it. Check out Bodyforlife.com for the particulars of the diet. Bill Phillips used to work with TD and Romo during the Superbowl years and is a good DEN guy to boot
I had thought seriously about the Body for Life program and know several who swear by it. The reason I have picked the Atkins style diet is that it has worked for me before and I have no problem with a diet of meat and vegatables. I eat very few sweets, so all I need to do is eliminate the starches. Like I said, I do the Nordic Trak for cardio, but really need to get back on the weight machine. That has been a little difficult as I have arthritis in both shoulders and a couple other places. We have an issue with meals at home as my wife is on a restricted diet and the kids have decided to be fussy about what they will eat. I am 6'2" and weigh in the neighborhood of 235. I need to get down to around 205.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #20
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Well, weighed myself today. I was both shocked and amazed.

I weighed in at 265, which is the most I've ever weighed. But, I know it's not all fat because I've stayed the same pant size since I've been home.

Still, there was shock. Now I have been lifting weights three times a week, so that has been the reason for my added weight, but my gut hasn't gone down any. Bottom line is, even though I try and eat well, I really need to get my butt on the treadmill soon.

And did we have to start this thread on Easter weekend? I've got chocolate coming out of my ears here at home. Ugh...
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #21
OregonBronco
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngrll View Post
Anyway, I've found in the past it was really helpful to log the foods I eat and the exercises I do each day. I use www.fitday.com . It's free to set up your account and there are a lot of foods already in their system. You can add your own if you want.
That's a pretty cool site. Lots of helpful info and tracking tools. I dig it.

Ok, this thread has inspired me. I'm ready to get serious about dropping the last 20. Right now I'm 6'3", 217 lbs. I'd like to get to 200 by the end of May. I've been looking at Bowflex machines the past couple of weeks and I think I'm gonna go pick one up tonight. Anybody have any experience with Bowflex?
OregonBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #22
heydensmom
I'm Jack Bauer!

I know Bronconia uses a bowflex, give him a pm i'm sure he'll give you advice...
Old 04-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #23
OregonBronco
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydensmom View Post
I know Bronconia uses a bowflex, give him a pm i'm sure he'll give you advice...
Cool...muy gracias!

And congrats on the weight loss. 127 lbs is pretty freakin' impressive.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #24
OregonBronco
Solid Starter

My officemate told me about this little gem...

http://www.fastexercise.com/

Don't let so-called "experts" like doctors and physical trainers dissuade you from getting the ULTIMATE exercise machine. Order yours today!!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #25
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBronco View Post
My officemate told me about this little gem...

http://www.fastexercise.com/

Don't let so-called "experts" like doctors and physical trainers dissuade you from getting the ULTIMATE exercise machine. Order yours today!!

nice...That's only 4 minutes a day more than I exercise now
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote