The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
NaptownChief
Donkeys Nightmare

Football Pimp

Default Slap......All Time Greats Quesiton For You

Where would you rank Bob Feller all time as a pitcher? He is obviously top 10 of all time but one could certainly make an argument of top couple of all time.

For those that don't know, Bob Feller was Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson rolled up into one. 100+mph fastball with great control. It was pre-radar gun but was beleived he reached around 104mph with his heater. Won 24 games or more four different times with a career high of 27. His 1946 season might be the most impressive ever. 26 wins, 348 strikeouts, 2.18 ERA and almost a hundred less hits allowed than innings pitched.

Anyone on here old enough to have seen him pitch?
NaptownChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

He was phenomenal. He wasn't known for pinpoint control, which made that unreal heater that much scarier.

The guy was called up to the major leagues at 17 years old! He was also the best pitcher in baseball by the time he was 21.

Its interesting you note 1946 was his best season. He had lost the previous three and half years serving in WWII. Its incredible he was able to return at such a high level after that much time away.

He's fun to listen to today, too. I love angry old timers.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
NaptownChief
Donkeys Nightmare

Football Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
He was phenomenal. He wasn't known for pinpoint control, which made that unreal heater that much scarier.

The guy was called up to the major leagues at 17 years old! He was also the best pitcher in baseball by the time he was 21.

Its interesting you note 1946 was his best season. He had lost the previous three and half years serving in WWII. Its incredible he was able to return at such a high level after that much time away.

I get to meet him this Saturday at a small charity event. I've got a Mitchell & Ness 1946 Feller Jersey that I am going to get him to sign. Should be pretty fun talking with him.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post

He's not particularly angry, but I enjoy listening to part time Madres announcer, and former world series MVP Jerry Coleman. He served in both WWII and Korea as a pilot. The Madres have reduced his shed-yool, but the Colonel is still going strong, and in moments of excitability blurts out some absolute gems.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Feller has been extremely vocal about his opposition towards Pete Rose's quest to get into the Hall. Bullet Bob has also been one of the loudest opponents in regards to the induction of suspected steroid users.

Feller is one of my all-time favorite sports personalities and I was proud to draft him as my Ace in the Orange Mane MLB Draft.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
He's not particularly angry, but I enjoy listening to part time Madres announcer, and former world series MVP Jerry Coleman. He served in both WWII and Korea as a pilot. The Madres have reduced his shed-yool, but the Colonel is still going strong, and in moments of excitability blurts out some absolute gems.
I would rather listen to Coleman call the game than listen to the Channel 4 audio. His Colemanisms are great and my favorite one of all-time was when he cried, "Randy Jones is on the mound, the man with the Karl Marx hairdo".
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
I would rather listen to Coleman call the game than listen to the Channel 4 audio. His Colemanisms are great and my favorite one of all-time was when he cried, "Randy Jones is on the mound, the man with the Karl Marx hairdo".
I think it was last season when he one upped himself with the never before heard..."Oh double doctor!!!".

The three best things about going to the Madres games in the mid to late 80's as a kid were in no particular order...1) Watching T (ubby) Gwynn. 2) Going to ticket window C and collecting the "Goose saved the game pins" after a successful save. 3) Looking up to the broadcast booth to see the Colonel dangling that star out of the window after a sweet play (Robbie Alomar).

The "The Madres support the Padres" sign that used to hang above the left field wall at the 'Murph gets an honorable mention for some odd reason.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
Colemanisms

"Johnny Grubb slides into second with a standup double."

"There's a deep fly ball... Winfield goes back, back... his head hits the wall ... it's rolling towards second base."

"McCovey swings and misses, and it's fouled back."

"It's a base hit on the error by Roberts."

"Rich Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen."
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
NaptownChief
Donkeys Nightmare

Football Pimp

Feller was amazing. The guy despite being almost 90 years old looks like he is late 60's and mentally as sharp as someone in their 40's or 50's. He spoke as quick and as sharp as he looked. Very impressive.