The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #2451
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I have strong hopes that Julio and Hawkins will be gone next year, and maybe I should add Fuentes to that list. Both he and Corpas just "have" to give up one run in their innings. What is it with Fuentes? He just lost it all of a sudden! Best part is that Penny did not get the win over the Rockies. He had been a thorn in their sides and now the table has turned. No decision again. Good.

The Rockies have a great chance to get to the playoffs. That would just be great..........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 AM   #2452
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
Dude, I was just telling my girl the same damn thing, we can win the west outright! If the we can sweep out, we will win it!!!
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I was doing my predictions either. Then I realized if we win out, the best the DBacks can do is 2-3, and that would result us tying them with 90 wins and resulting in the Rockies winning the West. They would win the season series.
Now REALLY go back and think of the games the Rockies blew thanks to the bullpen. They should be in 1st already!
I looked, and between Fuentes, Affeldt and Hawkins, they've blown a total of 15 games. Granted, they probably won some of those games by coming back anyways, but still. Rockies should be in 1st place.

Last edited by TheChamp24; 09-26-2007 at 01:44 AM..
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 AM   #2453
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I was doing my predictions either. Then I realized if we win out, the best the DBacks can do is 2-3, and that would result us tying them with 90 wins and resulting in the Rockies winning the West. They would win the season series.
Now REALLY go back and think of the games the Rockies blew thanks to the bullpen. They should be in 1st already!
I looked, and between Fuentes, Affeldt and Hawkins, they've blown a total of 15 games. Granted, they probably won some of those games by coming back anyways, but still. Rockies should be in 1st place.
And you know what is absolutely crazy?

IF they did that (passed the D-Backs), they would likely have the best record in the NL, with the way the Mets are playing.

I mean - are you kidding me? A week and a half ago, even the biggest optimist was writing the season off.

The main thing is that they have to keep winning. They control their own destiny now. Nothing else has to happen if they take care of business.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:52 AM   #2454
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

How's this for a note at the bottom of the write-up for tonight's game?

"The Rockies, who finished with a worse record than the Dodgers in each of their first 14 seasons, need one more victory to end that streak."

I can honestly say I did not know that. Nice to put that little fun fact in the rear view mirror.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 AM   #2455
HitEmCold
Gold sucks, I know...now!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Stokley

Giants let the Padres off the hook tonight, rox did their part though, Is nice being able to watch some meaningful Rockies games this late in the season.
HitEmCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #2456
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Meh. Giants are a mess. Hopefully they will remain so for a few years.....
Old 09-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #2457
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

magic number is now 3!!!!
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #2458
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Any idea what happens in the event of a 3 way tie?

Is the tie broken in division first? Whoever has the better head to head between SD and the Rox? They would get the Phils?

Never thought of, or seen that scenerio before. Any clue?
I've been wondering about this as well. Ran into this in today's DPO:

Quote:
As determined by coin flips earlier this month, the Rockies sit in a good spot in the event of a two-team wild-card tiebreaker. They would host either San Diego or Philadelphia on Monday if one of the teams is knotted with the Rockies. If the two-team tiebreaker involved the NL West, the Rockies would be on the road to play either San Diego or Arizona.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #2459
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Love my ROX!!!!!
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #2460
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

How about them Rockies~!!! 5 more W's baby....5 more W's!~!!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #2461
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk's Boys View Post
How about them Rockies~!!! 5 more W's baby....5 more W's!~!!
I guess they are right there, huh ... they've won alotta games lately.

Milton Bradley is an idiot, but his idiocy will no doubt help the Rocks. The Phillies are the bigger hurdle, they're playing pretty well too.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #2462
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
I've been wondering about this as well. Ran into this in today's DPO:
Wait, so the season matchups are meaningless? What a load of BS IMO. If the Rockies finish off these last 3 and the DBacks end up going 2-3, we should be the winner of the damn West. We OWN every single matchup vs. the DBacks, Padres and Phillies. If we have to go by a playoff game that blows IMO.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #2463
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Let's just takle the game tonight and try to win one for the zipper. Okat?

Gipper?

Nipper?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #2464
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
Wait, so the season matchups are meaningless? What a load of BS IMO. If the Rockies finish off these last 3 and the DBacks end up going 2-3, we should be the winner of the damn West. We OWN every single matchup vs. the DBacks, Padres and Phillies. If we have to go by a playoff game that blows IMO.
It's been that way forever JT. Even when there wasn't a wildcard, if 2 teams finished tied for the division crown, they played a playoff game to determain a winner.
Tie breakers are meaningless in Baseball. Come to think of it, tiebreakers do not exist in baseball.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #2465
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

The Phils/Braves game is flying. 1 hour 54 minutes into the game and we are going to the bottom of the 7th.

Good guys-4
Scumbags- 2
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #2466
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It's been that way forever JT. Even when there wasn't a wildcard, if 2 teams finished tied for the division crown, they played a playoff game to determain a winner.
Tie breakers are meaningless in Baseball. Come to think of it, tiebreakers do not exist in baseball.
I think what JTH was referring to was that it doesn't matter what you do head to head in the regular season. Seems strange to me that the league that wins the All Star game gets home advantage in the WS, but the team that wins regular season matchups depends on home advantage by the luck of a coin flip.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #2467
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I really want to bet on the Rockies tonight. They're even underdogs, I can get them +1.5 runs. The bats are hot, but ehhh, I just have this feeling that it's going to burst soon.

Also, some of you might find this amusing. I guess I'm a full fledged Rockies fan after what happened last night. I turned the game off after the 8th inning last night because it was like 11:30 and I needed to sleep for work today. Apparently, I dreamed that the Rockies gave the game back in the bottom of the 9th and lost. I woke up pissed, like the first thing I said was "****ing Rockies, tanked the game." Then I thought to myself... The TV was off. I didn't get out of bed. How do I know this? So I turned on SportsCenter and sure enough, they won.

It was just an odd dream, because I was SURE that I had seen the outcome, and was not pleased.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #2468
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Also, saw this the other day, some of you might find it interesting:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...layoff-promos/

Quote:
ESPN and MLB Feud Over Playoff Promos
Matt Watson Posted Sep 24th 2007 1:55PM

Earlier this summer, ESPN angered Major League Baseball by revealing the All-Star rosters on the air just minutes after MLB officially announced them during an "exclusive" show on TBS. As punishment, MLB limited ESPN's access at the All-Star game, specifically not allowing them to put a "Baseball Tonight" set on location.

Well, it appears the four-letter network and MLB are butting heads again. ESPN will not be airing MLB playoff games this year, and they're not all that interested in advertising for the stations that will be. If ESPN doesn't relent, MLB will once again lay down the law by limiting access. From the Sports Business Journal:

"The current dispute centers on ESPN's refusal to run on-air spots promoting postseason telecasts on Fox and TBS. This is the first time in years that ESPN will not run ads promoting playoff games on other networks, and, not coincidentally, also marks the first time since 1996 that ESPN will not have postseason baseball on its schedule.

Citing network policy, ESPN says it does not accept advertising that promotes competitive programming on other networks unless it is contractually obligated to do so - and it states that it's not obligated to under its new media deal with MLB. It says other networks have similar policies.

ESPN's decision greatly upset MLB executives, who are considering banning ESPN's "SportsCenter" and "Baseball Tonight" studio sets from postseason venues if ESPN does not run the spots, network sources said."

This will be an interesting dispute to follow. As a blogger who's spent most of my writing career on the outside looking in, I'm acutely aware that access isn't required to create compelling content. But does that translate to television, which is obviously a much more visual medium? Are you more inclined to watch SportsCenter if it's broadcasted on location from the stadium of the teams in the World Series? I don't think it makes a difference for me one way or the other, though I'm guessing ESPN will trust their marketing research over my anecdotal opinion.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #2469
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Go Devil Rays
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #2470
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
See, I thought that this changed. But guess not, and frankly, I never even really cared because my teams never have had to worry about a tie breaker game.
But I would say, I would think the team that wins the season matchup would get to play the game in their own stadium...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #2471
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I really want to bet on the Rockies tonight. They're even underdogs, I can get them +1.5 runs. The bats are hot, but ehhh, I just have this feeling that it's going to burst soon.

They are not playing the Rocky killer Jeff Kent and two other vets to give the kids some time.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #2472
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Phils win creates additional pressure to beat the Dodgers tonight. Can't afford to drop 2 back of Padres...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #2473
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
They are not playing the Rocky killer Jeff Kent and two other vets to give the kids some time.
I'd have a hard time betting on the Rockies anytime that Fogg is starting.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #2474
TheChamp24

The Legend

Well, Arizona is losing after 7, Cubs are losing, Mets are losing, and Milwaukee is losing.
Heres hoping Arizona loses, Cubs lose, Mets lose and the Brewers can come back and win. I'd much prefer the Brewers in the postseason than the Cubs.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #2475
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

2 to the AL EAST DIVISION TITLE and the team getting healthy GO SOX!
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote