The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #1326
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Just got this in my email about the latest Dodger news-

Quote:
DODGERS DISMISS MURRAY
Mueller to serve as Interim Hitting Coach

LOS ANGELES – The Dodgers announced today that they have dismissed Hitting Coach Eddie Murray and have named Bill Mueller as Interim Hitting Coach, according to Dodger Manager Grady Little.

“Change is never easy but sometimes it is necessary and we feel that this is the best thing right now to help the team win,” said Little. “Our offense hasn’t lived up to our expectations and no one person is responsible for the results we’ve had this season. I have the utmost respect for Eddie Murray as a person and as a professional and I wish him nothing but the best.”

Mueller retired at the end of the 2006 season with a lifetime batting average of .291 in 11 seasons with the Giants, Cubs, Red Sox and Dodgers. In 2003, he won the American League batting title and Silver Slugger Award and in 2004, he was a key member of the World Champion Boston Red Sox. Upon announcing his retirement, Mueller was named Special Assistant to General Manager Ned Colletti this offseason.

“Bill Mueller will serve as a very solid bridge as we look for our next hitting coach,” said Colletti. “He already has a great reputation within the clubhouse and he has a very deep knowledge of our team and the rest of the league.”

Sad to see Murray be canned, but I hope Mueller can improve our hitting techniques.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #1327
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Both Lackey and Sabathia are having great seasons, but they both give up too many hits. My money is on either Haren of Beckett for the Cy.
I think you can also throw in Verlander right now. He is 7-2 with a 2.79 era
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #1328
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
we gotta let yall have one :p
How about two?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:54 PM   #1329
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalBull View Post
Is she a starting pitcher? what position does she play?
Missionary.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #1330
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Johan will have something to say about all this before it's over.
That 3.24 is going to have to come down an awful lot.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #1331
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Speaking of pitchers...

I love BP

Quote:
Yet, in an incident replayed several times on television, Penny verbally confronted Green.

After he struck out Green to end the third inning, Penny walked off the mound — not toward the dugout, but toward home plate. The two men exchanged words, without contact.

After the game, Penny said Green had tipped the Mets' hitters off to pitch locations in the first inning, when Green was on second base.

"When you're doing that and you have a reputation for doing that, people will be watching you," Penny said.

Green acknowledged that reputation but denied he was tipping the Mets' hitters in this case.

"People assume every time I'm on second base, I'm relaying signs," the former Dodger said. "I've been wrongly accused of that more times than I've been rightly accused."

Green called that practice "part of the game" and said the Dodgers had engaged in it Tuesday. When they did, he said, Aaron Heilman simply stepped off the mound, and the Mets changed signs.

"That's the right way to handle it," Green said. "To accuse a guy is the wrong way to handle it, especially when it wasn't taking place."

Penny said he did not consider brushing Green back during that at-bat rather than waiting for a verbal confrontation afterward.

"I didn't really have a chance," Penny said. "I had a guy in scoring position and a better hitter [Carlos Beltran] on deck. It would have been nice to have a six-run lead right there."
Old 06-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #1332
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
That 3.24 is going to have to come down an awful lot.
I wouldn't rule it out.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #1333
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

I don't see Santana winning the Cy Young this year but with his stuff and his history I wouldn't put anything past him. I hope it doesn't happen but after next year he is a FA and you know the Yanks are going to throw so much cash his way especially with the age of Clemens, Mussina and Pettite.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #1334
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

you had to open your big mouth pats
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #1335
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
How about two?
Up 6-0 after 3 1/2. Could happen. Maybe.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #1336
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Well Beckett is stinking the place up tonight. Good hitting by the rockies, and piss poor hitting by Sox isn't helping Beckett cause tonight.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #1337
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

With the W, the Rocks pull back to .500. Gotta say I didn't expect that just 3 weeks ago.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #1338
Paladin
Ring of Famer

How 'bout them Rockies?

Good series for them. Could easily have been a sweep if Spilly had gotten a hit with the bases loaded in the first game.....

Tampa next. With luck and good pitching, maybe get a game up......
Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #1339
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Nice to see the Rockies get back to .500 for the first time in a long time. They're now 15-6 in their last 21 ballgames.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:11 AM   #1340
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Nice to see the Rockies get back to .500 for the first time in a long time. They're now 15-6 in their last 21 ballgames.
Whats even more amazing IMO is the fact in the past 7 series, the Rockies are 6-0-1 in those. Only one they didn't win was the Cardinals series in which they tied 2 games a piece.
Also, they have won 4 straight road series(franchise record). This run is awesome for them.
Hitting has gotten way better, pitching solid. Bullpen has REALLY stepped it up. Fielding continues to be outstanding.
TheChamp24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #1341
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I have to admit that I'm pretty shocked. I honestly thought they were headed into a stretch that would end in Hurdle getting fired - extension be damned. There seemed to be some momentum for change, including lots of really negative press about the direction of the franchise.

So, I guess I'm cautiously optimistic now. There seem to be really positive things going on with this club. I think a lot of us thought they were capable of playing like this, going into the season. This next series is important - they need to show now that they can win series they are supposed to win.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:26 AM   #1342
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Ugh, the Mariners game was painful to watch. Morrow has been looking sharpe since being our top choice last year and today things just didn't go our way. I like the relief with him, O'Flaherty and J.J is solid this year as a closer, but we desperately needed starting pitching. Felix needs to stay healthy, Batista has been a pleasant surprise and Washburn is well, Washburn - but Weaver is terrible.

Thank God we got real potential in Amonte. I'm not sure if he's signed yet, but hopefully he does, comes through the minors and can be ready in a year or two.

Betancourt needs to stop having errors, but he's hitting solid right now. Lopez is doing okay as well.

Sexson and Beltre, the big paid guys are stinking it up. Sexson is streaky, and he's not even hitting .200 right now. Pathetic. Beltre with his injuries are concerning. I'd expect a deal including Beltre for a SP to possibly go down, anyways that was what is rumored.

Hopefully this Mangini kid can go through the minors with ease and be able to take up third base. I have a feeling Beltre is gone at somepoint and Willie isn't going to cut it.

Happy with the outfielders we selected. With the age in our outfield, and Ichiro possibly being gonzo at the end of the year, we'll need a replacement. Denny Almonte could be a future replacement to Ibanez. He can play anywhere in the OF, I believe. Haven't heard much on the others, will research though.

Call up Adam Jones already, the kid is on fire.

Wladimir Balentien could be ready in a year, and he'd be better than Ellison.

Go M's.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #1343
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Sexson and Beltre, the big paid guys are stinking it up. Sexson is streaky, and he's not even hitting .200 right now. Pathetic. Beltre with his injuries are concerning. I'd expect a deal including Beltre for a SP to possibly go down, anyways that was what is rumored.
That would suck. We don't really have any good corner INF in AA or AAA, and why deal a sweet-fielding, slugging 3b. He's never gonna hit 40+ again, but he'll get to around 25-30 and give you gold glove defense. He's the 2nd or 3rd best 3b in the AL...

At least for Sexson we've got some guys to fill the void.

Quote:
Call up Adam Jones already, the kid is on fire.
Where are we gonna put him, though? There'd have to be a major change made to a roster that's currently winning. I like Jones over half the lineup, but it is what it is.

Quote:
Wladimir Balentien could be ready in a year, and he'd be better than Ellison.
If anyone gets dealt, I bet it's Balentien. He's probably ready for the bigs right now, but again, where does he fit?

Last edited by WABronco; 06-15-2007 at 09:46 AM..
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #1344
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
you had to open your big mouth pats
How 'bout them Rockies!!!!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #1345
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
That would suck. We don't really have any good corner INF in AA or AAA, and why deal a sweet-fielding, slugging 3b. He's never gonna hit 40+ again, but he'll get to around 25-30 and give you gold glove defense. He's the 2nd or 3rd best 3b in the AL...

At least for Sexson we've got some guys to fill the void.
Mangini was drafted for a reason. He's a solid hitter and a sound defender. It'll probably be a year or so before he gets into the bigs, but being an established hitter in college should make his transition into AA or AAA (wherever he'd go) easier and he should be able to move through the minors quickly. (Which is what I liked about a lot of the pitchers we took, and some of our other guys, like the OF from Oklahoma - experience will help them get through quicker, I'd hope.)

I don't think Beltre is that good, but that's just me. Maybe it's because I was excited at the prospects of a top 3B in baseball (he's not) after his last year with LAD, but he hasn't even come close to that kind of year, although that's an MVP caliber year. Last season was pretty solid, but I'm just stating this is a rumor I heard. I'm not sure how long he's going to be out, I find it's amazing we can do this well with half the guys we're playing.

You're right, we don't have any good corner infielders in AAA/AA. This is just what I've seen rumored some places.

Quote:
Where are we gonna put him, though? There'd have to be a major change made to a roster that's currently winning. I like Jones over half the lineup, but it is what it is.
Move Ibanez to DH, (Vidro, eh? Waste of 7.5 million) and put Jones in left. Ibanez is a far better hitter than Vidro, and putting Jones in left would put some speed out there. Ibanez (besides the terrible misplant and throw) could have taken a lot better angles in the series against the Cubs. He seems to be the liability in the outfield.

Maybe Vidro isn't as bad as I think, maybe I'm just spoiled from Edgar. Probably. MFKIN BEAST.

It's going to be a scary thought having all 35+ year old lineman, having Ichiro leave and not bringing up a guy to get some experience.

Quote:
If anyone gets dealt, I bet it's Balentien. He's probably ready for the bigs right now, but again, where does he fit?
Not as good as Jones, but close. With drafting quite a few OF, (probably one or two of which could pan out) he could be made expendable. However, it'd be nice to keep him, due to Ichiro possibly leaving and the age of our outfielders. At least we'll have speed at the top of our line-up and in the field with these OF guys.

Damn, it feels good to be talking baseball again. I just wish I got to see more Mariners games. I have to count on them playing the Cubs, Braves or Twins - and the occasional ESPN game if they play Boston or New York.

I expect us to make a move for pitching. We could use another quality starter, someone who could be a #2, hopefully.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #1346
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk's Boys View Post
How 'bout them Rockies!!!!
Just bought 6 tickets for tomorrow night's game. Pretty good online deal - $10 per person for outfield "box" seats (section 106) and a bag of peanuts. Those seats are typically $30 a piece.

BTW - You can only order 2 tickets at a time - but I got 4 tickets together and 2 in the row below.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #1347
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
Just bought 6 tickets for tomorrow night's game. Pretty good online deal - $10 per person for outfield "box" seats (section 106) and a bag of peanuts. Those seats are typically $30 a piece.

BTW - You can only order 2 tickets at a time - but I got 4 tickets together and 2 in the row below.
Yeah I checked the prices for when the Yankees come into town...and talk about a ripoff.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #1348
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Yeah I checked the prices for when the Yankees come into town...and talk about a ripoff.
Yankee fans can afford it.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #1349
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post

Let me see if I understand this. The rockies, who can't sell out on their own are limiting the number of tickets someone can buy at one time? I guess if this is some sort of special ticket pricing, which it appears to be then it makes a little sense, and keeps the scalpers from gobbling them up. If I'm the rockies, I don't care who ends up with the tickets, just sell as many as possible with the D-Rays coming in.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #1350
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

So... We're in the year 2007, right? This isn't some twilight zone, is it?

The Rockies went into Fenway and won a series? Crazy.

But on the bright side, at least Denver teams are consistent. The Nuggets lost to teams like the Knicks and Grizzlies at home, only to get up for big games and beat some of the top teams. Rockies dropped a series to the Royals at home, but go into Fenway and beat one of the best teams in baseball.

Something in the water downtown or something!

I'd ad the Broncos not being able to beat the 49ers at home, but Cutler gets a pass.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote