The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #1151
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Lou's got nothin' on this guy...

http://deadspin.com/sports/minor-lea...ess-265416.php

I love the part when he crawls up to the mound and heaves the rosin bag at the ump like a grenade. He even "pulls the pin".
WABronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #1152
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Well it looks like "DL" Drew is on his way to his annual injury -
http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...eeps_drew_out/

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | June 3, 2007
J.D. Drew did not play yesterday against the Yankees because of what manager Terry Francona described as hamstring "tendinitis," though Francona said there was a chance the right fielder would play tonight.
Article Tools

Francona said the injury had been bothering Drew for a couple of days; Drew said it's been bothering him for "a week and a half, two weeks" and had gotten worse. Drew said he has not had a similar injury in the past.

"This is completely different. It's where the hamstring actually attaches a little below the knee, right here," he said. "So I've got radiating pain when I sprint or do anything like that.

"It's getting really -- I guess, kind of a tendinitis kind of deal -- but really irritated. I thought it would be something that would just kind of go away. I've never really felt anything like that.
"We've done some treatment, things like that, but I've really got to kind of get it calmed down to try to not jeopardize injuring it real bad."

Interesting note the article make it seem that Theo might be bringing up either David Murphy or Jacoby Ellsbury to the Boston. Wonder if this means the Willie Mo Pena era is about to end

Last edited by elsid13; 06-03-2007 at 09:13 AM..
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #1153
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

An injury Drew never had before? What are the odds?

File this one under hamstring bull****.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #1154
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Tracy had enough of Torres and his blown saves....my Man Matt Capps (still unsuspended BTW) was made the official closer as expected and got his first save against LA last night...his first outing in his new role. Hopefully, he'll stop the bleeding enough to help them finally gain some ground.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #1155
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Dodgers come back to beat the Pirates! 5-4. Huge series coming up against the Madres.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #1156
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Dodgers come back to beat the Pirates! 5-4. Huge series coming up against the Madres.
You can thank Mr. Torres for that.....move him to set up man and he still finds a way to blow the game

The guy's confidence is definitely shaken...how much longer do they let him try to work it out at the determint of the team?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #1157
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Aww...that figures.
The Hawks have lost their last two games also.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #1158
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

What's got me chuckling a bit is the Yankee fans around me here....they're giving me grief about the upcoming series and now that groin pull is scheduled to start against them on Saturday..the floodgates let loose.

Personally, I think he'll be set back a bit farther than that....but if not, cool. Rather face The Rocket ailing than @ 100% anytime.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #1159
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Rockies win over Reds 10 to 9, 10 innings. Atkins gets a hit and drives in Matsui.

Just thought you'd like to know.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #1160
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
What's got me chuckling a bit is the Yankee fans around me here....they're giving me grief about the upcoming series and now that groin pull is scheduled to start against them on Saturday..the floodgates let loose.

Personally, I think he'll be set back a bit farther than that....but if not, cool. Rather face The Rocket ailing than @ 100% anytime.
Clemens is getting hammered over here in NY by the local media. They are saying that he is a great pitcher but not an immortal because he never wants the ball in the big game or in the middle of controversy.

They mentioned that he backed out of his start against the Mets after he beaned Piazza and he could've pitched this weekend against Boston but would rather go against the struggling White Sox and also doesn't want to look bad on national tv games like yesterday on fox or tonight on espn. So now it has been pushed back to the Pirates.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #1161
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Well it looks like "DL" Drew is on his way to his annual injury -
http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...eeps_drew_out/

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | June 3, 2007
J.D. Drew did not play yesterday against the Yankees because of what manager Terry Francona described as hamstring "tendinitis," though Francona said there was a chance the right fielder would play tonight.
Article Tools

Francona said the injury had been bothering Drew for a couple of days; Drew said it's been bothering him for "a week and a half, two weeks" and had gotten worse. Drew said he has not had a similar injury in the past.

"This is completely different. It's where the hamstring actually attaches a little below the knee, right here," he said. "So I've got radiating pain when I sprint or do anything like that.

"It's getting really -- I guess, kind of a tendinitis kind of deal -- but really irritated. I thought it would be something that would just kind of go away. I've never really felt anything like that.
"We've done some treatment, things like that, but I've really got to kind of get it calmed down to try to not jeopardize injuring it real bad."

Interesting note the article make it seem that Theo might be bringing up either David Murphy or Jacoby Ellsbury to the Boston. Wonder if this means the Willie Mo Pena era is about to end
I wouldnt mind seeing ellisbury up here at all.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #1162
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
I wouldnt mind seeing ellisbury up here at all.

I rather he spend the year at the PawSox. There will be a lot of pressure on him to perform he gets the early call up. I think Murphy who has better power might be the one they bring up. Boy do I miss Nixon

Last edited by elsid13; 06-03-2007 at 08:16 PM..
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #1163
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Atkins had a nice game, although he did have a bloop double there. It seems he is way late with his hands on pitches.
Hawpe continues his tear though.
Nice run by the Rocks here though. Swept the Giants, 2-2 vs. Cards, and a 2-1 series win against the Reds.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #1164
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Brad Hawpe has really turned his season around. He was struggling just as bad as Atkins through about the first month of the season, but he's managed to push his average up over .300 and has been driving in a nice amount of runs out of the six spot.

Not to be overlooked has been the contributions of Willy Taveras & Kaz Matsui. It's nice having speed at the top of the lineup again.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #1165
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Guess who's dropping the race card again?

Sheffield says Latin player easier to control than blacks.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."
Old 06-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #1166
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Brad Hawpe has really turned his season around. He was struggling just as bad as Atkins through about the first month of the season, but he's managed to push his average up over .300 and has been driving in a nice amount of runs out of the six spot.

Not to be overlooked has been the contributions of Willy Taveras & Kaz Matsui. It's nice having speed at the top of the lineup again.
I went to the game today and Matsui sure was great. He should have had the winning run in the 8th inning and bailed out Fuentes by scoring the real winning run in the 10th. He also turned two nice double plays late in the game. And he also had the biggest hit for the Rockies with his 8th inning 3-run triple.

As good as Matsui was, Holliday was the opposite. He did have two hits, but looked bad in clutch situations and had a costly error in the field. For a guy having such a good season he sure hits into a ton of first pitch groundouts.

In a perfect world Fuentes would be the setup man and Corpas the closer, but Hurdle and most other managers wouldn't demote a guy that's been pretty good this year in Fuentes. I'd like to see Tito traded for a nice haul of prospects and turn the closer job over to Corpas.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #1167
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc View Post
In a perfect world Fuentes would be the setup man and Corpas the closer, but Hurdle and most other managers wouldn't demote a guy that's been pretty good this year in Fuentes. I'd like to see Tito traded for a nice haul of prospects and turn the closer job over to Corpas.
Couldn't agree more. I've been hoping that the Rockies would sell high on Fuentes since last year. Teams are always looking for bullpen help near the deadline and Fuentes, being an established closer as well as having experience as a middle reliever, would command a decent return.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #1168
TheChamp24

The Legend

I honestly don't know if Corpas is ready to be te closer though. I think a year of setup then a closer role would be best. And then turning Fuentes into the setup man would be awesome. I don't think he would like that though.
But yeah, I love Taveras now. He can fly down the line! And Holliday, I don't know why, but hits a TON of ground balls, which is why he has grounded into so many double plays. Hasn't been a whole lot clutch at times...
Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #1169
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
I honestly don't know if Corpas is ready to be te closer though. I think a year of setup then a closer role would be best. And then turning Fuentes into the setup man would be awesome. I don't think he would like that though.
But yeah, I love Taveras now. He can fly down the line! And Holliday, I don't know why, but hits a TON of ground balls, which is why he has grounded into so many double plays. Hasn't been a whole lot clutch at times...
Like Breck mentioned, Holliday has a nasty habit of swinging at the first pitch he sees and pounding it into the ground. I haven't seen a Rockies player hack at so many first pitches since the hayday of Vinny Castilla.

Taveras is so fast that routine ground balls are an adventure for opposing infielders. I think they should make Taveras do push ups like Willie Mays Hayes every time he hits one in the air.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #1170
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
Like Breck mentioned, Holliday has a nasty habit of swinging at the first pitch he sees and pounding it into the ground. I haven't seen a Rockies player hack at so many first pitches since the hayday of Vinny Castilla.

Taveras is so fast that routine ground balls are an adventure for opposing infielders. I think they should make Taveras do push ups like Willie Mays Hayes every time he hits one in the air.
But man, what about his double he hit earlier? I think this kid could become one of those great leadoff men every team will crave.
Holliday, man, he just is TOO aggressive at times and thinks he has to do something and its so annoying watching him hit groundballs all the time. Even more annoying than Neifi Perez popping up every time. His at bat in the 8th was HORRIBLE.

And holy crap, AROD with an opposite field home run to give the Yanks the lead in the 9th. Off the pope too.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #1171
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Watching Taveras bunt is fun. The defense knows he's bunting and he still usually beats the throw. If only he had a little more plate discipline he'd be one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball. Even without a lot of walks he has a .380 on base percentage, which is acceptable, but if he could get over .400 it would help the team out so much.

Matsui is the same, he's having a decent year so far, but with only 3 walks he could be a lot better. Taveras and Matsui create so much havoc on the bases I don't know why they refuse to get on by walking.

Also, I don't know why Hurdle refuses to bat Hawpe fifth instead of Atkins. The lineup should be:

Taveras
Matsui
Helton
Holliday
Hawpe
Tulowitzki
Atkins
Torrealba/Iannetta
Pitcher

Move Atkins up when he's totally out his slump. Today was a nice start for Garrett, but one good game does not mean he's out of the woods yet. I'd also think about batting Matsui 7th and Tulo 2nd. The catcher spot has been an almost automatic out all season and I'd give Iannetta more playing time to see if he can get into a groove like Tulo did.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #1172
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc View Post
Watching Taveras bunt is fun. The defense knows he's bunting and he still usually beats the throw. If only he had a little more plate discipline he'd be one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball. Even without a lot of walks he has a .380 on base percentage, which is acceptable, but if he could get over .400 it would help the team out so much.

Matsui is the same, he's having a decent year so far, but with only 3 walks he could be a lot better. Taveras and Matsui create so much havoc on the bases I don't know why they refuse to get on by walking.

Also, I don't know why Hurdle refuses to bat Hawpe fifth instead of Atkins. The lineup should be:

Taveras
Matsui
Helton
Holliday
Hawpe
Tulowitzki
Atkins
Torrealba/Iannetta
Pitcher

Move Atkins up when he's totally out his slump. Today was a nice start for Garrett, but one good game does not mean he's out of the woods yet. I'd also think about batting Matsui 7th and Tulo 2nd. The catcher spot has been an almost automatic out all season and I'd give Iannetta more playing time to see if he can get into a groove like Tulo did.
Just like he's completely enamoured with having the R/R & L/L matchups with his pitchers, Hurdle is in love with having his lineup go R/L/R/L from the 3-6 spots. Regardless of what might make more sense, he simply refuses to abandon that format.

Don't get me wrong, I like having Kaz at the top of the order, but Tulowitzki was much better from the two spot, so I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them swapped in the order.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #1173
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Man, watching Abreu in right field is tough. The guy has completely lost it.

I wonder what infraction Arod managed while hitting that game winning home run off Papelbon? I bet he farted near Lowell while rounding third. That will be the next controversy in the tabloids.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #1174
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."[/B]
What, you want them to keep the a-hole over the guy who's just as good, but not an a-hole?

There are plenty of Latin players that are a-hole's too, so...

Sheff, love watchin' you play, but maybe you should stick to playing paddy-cakes with Elijah Dukes.
WABronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #1175
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
Just like he's completely enamoured with having the R/R & L/L matchups with his pitchers, Hurdle is in love with having his lineup go R/L/R/L from the 3-6 spots. Regardless of what might make more sense, he simply refuses to abandon that format.

Don't get me wrong, I like having Kaz at the top of the order, but Tulowitzki was much better from the two spot, so I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them swapped in the order.
I really like Troy, he has impressed me a lot so far. Matsui has the Ichiro syndrome at swinging at everything which hurts really. He has done better than I imagined though.