The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #1026
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Seven trades that need to happen before the deadline.

There are still two months to go before the trade deadline. But I'm already envisioning some deals that need to be made. Here are a few that come to mind:

1. Scott Rolen to the Dodgers
Los Angeles is desperately seeking additional power, and Rolen fits the bill. Ned Colletti, one of the game's more aggressive GMs, has looked just about everywhere for power, which is the glaring weakness on an otherwise well-balanced team. Colletti recently said he wasn't going after Blue Jays third baseman Troy Glaus. But he hasn't denied interest in Rolen.

The Cardinals have not yet signaled they're ready to throw in the towel, but if things continue to go south, it would make sense to trade Rolen, who has an uneasy relationship with manager Tony La Russa and would have some market value despite his awful start (.215). (Rolen has three years and $36 million remaining on his contract after this season.) The Dodgers have prospects to trade, including a third baseman, Andy LaRoche, plus young pitchers.

2. Garrett Atkins and Todd Helton to the Angels
Owner Arte Moreno is still itching to do something "major'' and this would qualify, especially with Helton recapturing his swing early this year (.360 batting average, .472 on-base percentage). Reports indicate the Angels have inquired about Atkins, who isn't as untouchable as one might think. The Rockies' top minor-league prospect is third baseman Ian Stewart.

Rockies people always liked the idea of dealing with the Angels regarding Helton because LA of A has plenty of prospects. The Rockies would have to offset the $87 million remaining on Helton's contract by about $35 million or so, but they'd be happy to consider Casey Kotchman, Erick Aybar, Jeff Mathis or any number of Angels prospects in exchange. Helton has a no-trade clause, but the chance to win in Anaheim is probably enough to entice him to waive his veto powers, as he did when Boston showed interest this winter.

3. Chad Cordero to the Indians
Cleveland looks like it has a decent shot at a playoff spot, even from the ultra-tough AL Central. But to get there, they'll need a closer better than Joe Borowski, who's toting an 8.44 ERA (though he does have 13 saves in 15 tries). The Indians revamped their bullpen this winter, but other AL contenders have much more established and dominating ninth-inning men (i.e. Francisco Rodriguez, Jonathan Papelbon, Mariano Rivera, Joe Nathan and even Bobby Jenks). Cordero has a lot of guts, but there's some concern as to whether his stuff would be short in the AL. It doesn't help that he's off to a slow start, with only five saves in nine opportunities. Nationals GM Jim Bowden likely will ask for the moon, anyway, so Cleveland may have to look elsewhere. But it does need to look somewhere.

4. Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox
Griffey hasn't shown any willingness to go to New York when the opportunity has arisen. But maybe Chicago's more to his liking. It's a nice city with a nice team that still should have a chance, something that has eluded the Reds regularly. It's finally time to thrown in the towel on the great Griffey trade to his hometown team, an annual albatross for the also-running Reds.

The White Sox have been hurt by the injury to Jim Thome and could use the left-handed power Griffey provides. Griffey (eight homers, 26 RBIs, .297) is having a fine year. But he'd be much better off having the DH option, which could limit his own well-known propensity for pain.

5. Troy Glaus to the Tigers
Helton would also be a natural fit for Detroit, which isn't getting much from first base, where the beloved Sean Casey (winner of SI's poll for Friendliest Player) has struggled. Helton might be a better fit as a left-handed hitter and natural first baseman, but Glaus (eight homers, 21 RBIs, .307) would help, as well.

6. Al Reyes to the Brewers
Milwaukee would like some bullpen fortification, and this ex-Brewer certainly would do the trick. He's come out of nowhere to go 12 for 12 in saves with a 1.31 ERA. A far cry from his mop-up days in Milwaukee, when the Brewers were an AL also ran, not an NL Central contender.

7. Jon Rauch to the Red Sox
Boston's bullpen can't be this good, can it? Rauch, a solid setup man (2-0. 3.70), is wasted in Washington, and the 6-foot-11 right-hander would enhance the Red Sox's relief crew.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #1027
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Brian Cashman's ass is on the line this season.

I thought this part was nice.

The Yankees' owner is also known for his generosity to those in need off-the-field, especially young people.

He said he was deeply moved by the April massacre at Virginia Tech. The Yankees made a $1 million contribution to the school's "Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund" to assist the victims' families, and honored the victims before playing the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night. Virginia Tech's president threw out the first pitch and the Yankees wore VT logos on their caps.

"I feel very strongly about the young people," Steinbrenner said. "I feel so strongly about the teachers and the school, all the people affected by this. We wanted to help in the healing process."
Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #1028
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

id like the sox to maybe deal for one more reliever and some depth, rauch would be an awesome addition
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #1029
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

MAN-O-MAN!

Friday night was a slugfest out there!

Check your teams hit level. If you don't have something in the double digits for Friday, you need to seriously consider your roster. It was a fireworks rally out there on the sticks across the league.

Also, if you're looking for a bat that's red hot right now and is available in just about every league, look for Ramón Vázquez. He's only hitting .600 right now, and he can give your team flexibility at 3B and SS (until he fizzles out, but nows the time to catch a rising star and ride him as far as he can get you).

Last edited by Taco John; 05-26-2007 at 02:29 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #1030
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Brian Fuentes leads the majors with 10 saves in the month of May. The Rockies should really be looking to sell high on him to a contender/hopeful contender with closer issues (Braves, Indians, Cubs).
Old 05-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #1031
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
MAN-O-MAN!

Friday night was a slugfest out there!

Check your teams hit level. If you don't have something in the double digits for Friday, you need to seriously consider your roster. It was a fireworks rally out there on the sticks across the league.
My monster lineup is finally kicking into gear. I got bombs tonight from Pujols, Fielder, Hardy, Cabrera and Phillips. Vlad chipped in with a pair of RBI's, but failed to go deep. Slacker.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:44 AM   #1032
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

My opponent is sitting on an 0.69 ERA for the week.

Check this out:

B. Penny - 7.0 IP 6H 0R 0.00 ERA
C. Gaudin - 7.1 IP 5H 0R 0.00 ERA
C. Wang - 6.1 IP 7H 2R 2.84 ERA
J. Nathan - 3.0 IP 4H 0R 2SV 0.00 ERA
C. Ray - 2.0 0H 0R 1SV 0.00 ERA
B. Fuentes - 3.0 IP 3H 0R 3SV 0.00 ERA
B. Jenks - 2.0 IP 2H 0R 1SV 0.00 ERA

Combined: 30.2 IP 26H 2R 0.59 ERA

I'm afraid my 4.13 isn't going to cut it this week, and his bats are hotter than mine (and I've got some damn hot bats). I'm going to have to get really lucky to keep my 5 win streak alive past Sunday!
Old 05-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #1033
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I'm still trying to figure out how the deadest lineup in the league managed to score 10 runs....I mean, I know it was the Reds and all, but still...
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:55 AM   #1034
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It was all over the place like that...

LAA 10
NYY 6

PIT 10
CIN 4

PHI 8
ATL 3

BOS 10
TEX 6

SEA 10
KC 2

HOU 3
ARI 13

MIL 6
SD 8

CHC 8
LAD 9

Lots of hits and runs out there tonight...
Old 05-26-2007, 03:11 AM   #1035
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I'm just thrilled that someone inexplicably wanted Garrett Atkins and was willing to flip me Robinson Cano for him. Atkins' batting average fell to a season low .221 after his 0-5 tonight.

If I wasn't a Rockies fan with a soft spot for Atkins, I'd have been violently cursing him for a month now.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #1036
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
I'm just thrilled that someone inexplicably wanted Garrett Atkins and was willing to flip me Robinson Cano for him. Atkins' batting average fell to a season low .221 after his 0-5 tonight.

If I wasn't a Rockies fan with a soft spot for Atkins, I'd have been violently cursing him for a month now.
Cano is starting to hit now so it looks like it was a good deal.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #1037
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

It's bad enough that most of the Rockies bullpen is a cruel joke, but it's made about a thousand times worse when your manager is completely clueless on how to use them.

I hate you Clint Hurdle.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #1038
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

ho hum, sox are up 12.5 on the yanks, 11 over the orioles.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #1039
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Despite their bungling manager, the Rockies complete their first sweep of the Giants in San Francisco ever. It's also the Rockies first 5 game winning streak since 2004.

Rookie Troy Tulowitzki with a Derek Jeter-esque at bat, fouling off pitch after pitch after pitch before finally smacking a single to right to drive in the eventual winning run in the 10th. This kid has shown very nice improvement as the season has progressed, both in the field and at the plate.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #1040
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

My Boys hung 14 on the Reds tonight....true they gave up ten and it is the Reds we're talking about...but my boys are pretty punchless, so it is something to take note of.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #1041
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Rox sweep Giants!

News at 11.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 AM   #1042
Crowpointer
Patriots Fan

Bill Belichick-Hingham's finest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
ho hum, sox are up 12.5 on the yanks, 11 over the orioles.
Ahh Shadow you know it is forbidden as a Sox fan to talk about big leads in pennant races (especially in May). I know you weren't even born the year the the Sox blew a 15 game lead (as of Aug 1st !) to the Yankees . Just a friendly reminder from those of us who lived through the year of Bucky f#$ng Dent.
Crowpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #1043
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowpointer View Post
Ahh Shadow you know it is forbidden as a Sox fan to talk about big leads in pennant races (especially in May). I know you weren't even born the year the the Sox blew a 15 game lead (as of Aug 1st !) to the Yankees . Just a friendly reminder from those of us who lived through the year of Bucky f#$ng Dent.

That is good point, I still remember my father cursing up a storm when I was 7/8 years old during that season. But I do have confidence in this pitching staff (expect Schilling) to keep Boston in position to compete in the post season. Though I would like either Crisp or Drew to start hitting.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #1044
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Default Young Hitters on Waiver Wires Near You

After a false start and a horrible slump, probably caused by a shoulder injury sustained at the end of spring training, Carlos Quentin is starting to hit the ball with the kind of authority I expected. Over the past week, he's batting .375 with 3 homers and 11 RBI and he's scored 5 runs. His splits are totally unbalanced home and away, but that's probably because he's only had one hot streak so far. I'm sure he's on the waiver wire in most roto leagues. The Snakes are wisely taking the pressure off him by batting him seventh right now, but he'll move up the order as his confidence increases. This two run bomb off Oswalt yesterday had to feel pretty good.

Ryan Garko has literally forced the Indians to start playing him every day. He's batting .416 over the last two weeks to raise his average on the season to a gaudy .336 mark. He also has 7 bombs, 20 RBI and 21 runs scored. The average figures to stay above .300 all year, as he carried a consistently high average throughout the minors. He's available in almost half of all CBS leagues.

Ryan Braun is a guy who should be claimed in all leagues. He killed the ball in spring training. He killed the ball in AAA. He's walking into a great lineup and a great hitter's park. For a big guy, he likes to steal bases, too.

If you're still hurting at third base and Braun is gone, take a look at Kevin Kouzmanoff. After a horrid April, the Crushin' Russian has batted .321 in May, chipping in 3 homers and 18 RBI.

Alex Gordon is slowly inching his way over the Mendoza line. He probably has the highest ceiling of the three rookie third basemen in the long run and I expect him to be a viable mixed league roto option in the second half.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #1045
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Slap, can you please tell me why in the hell the Astros keep Ausmus, Everett, and Biggio around? Okay, maybe not Biggio. He's paid his dues and is deserving of a spot... but leading off is not THAT spot! I was pissed when the Stros traded John Buck as part of the deal for Beltran. Sure defense is very important behind the plate, but when you have a Catcher that is a worse hitter than some pitchers on his own team... you have problems. 6 RBI's and 0 homers. That hurts...bad! John Buck is batting .40 higher and has 8 homers and triple the RBI's. Last but not least, Ausmus' OPS is .646, Buck .936.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #1046
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Jayson Stark's 10 most overrated and underrated ballplayers right now
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2880887
Overrated
10.Suppan
9. Wickman
8. Sexson
7. Soriano
6. Brian Giles
5. Abreu
4. Juan Pierre
3. Andruw Jones
2. Drew
1. Zito

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2882388

Underrated
10. Hafner
9. Joe Nathan
8. Youkilis
7. Polanco
6. Crawford
5. Sabathia
4. Peavy
3. Hanley Ramirez
2. Hoffman
1. Oswalt
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #1047
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalBull View Post
Jayson Stark's 10 most overrated and underrated ballplayers right now
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2880887
Overrated
10.Suppan
9. Wickman
8. Sexson
7. Soriano
6. Brian Giles
5. Abreu
4. Juan Pierre
3. Andruw Jones
2. Drew
1. Zito
Who, exactly, is overrating Bob Wickman? I think the general consensus is he sucks.

Abreu is a fine choice. I can't believe the size of the boiler that guy is toting around these days.

Miggy Cabrera, though far from overrated, is also getting fatter every year. It already beginning to affect his defense and he hasn't attempted a stolen base all season.

Quote:

Underrated
10. Hafner
9. Joe Nathan
8. Youkilis
7. Polanco
6. Crawford
5. Sabathia
4. Peavy
3. Hanley Ramirez
2. Hoffman
1. Oswalt
I can't quibble with any names on the underrated list, except perhaps Sabathia, who seems to get plenty of ink.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #1048
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan13 View Post
Slap, can you please tell me why in the hell the Astros keep Ausmus, Everett, and Biggio around? Okay, maybe not Biggio. He's paid his dues and is deserving of a spot... but leading off is not THAT spot! I was pissed when the Stros traded John Buck as part of the deal for Beltran. Sure defense is very important behind the plate, but when you have a Catcher that is a worse hitter than some pitchers on his own team... you have problems. 6 RBI's and 0 homers. That hurts...bad! John Buck is batting .40 higher and has 8 homers and triple the RBI's. Last but not least, Ausmus' OPS is .646, Buck .936.
Its incredible the Astros insist on fielding a team with two offensive cyphers in the lineup, but they've been doing it for years now. Believe me, Ausmus and Everett's gloves do not compensate for their utter inability to hit at the major league level. We're not exactly talking about Mark Belanger and Jim Sundberg here.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #1049
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
After a false start and a horrible slump, probably caused by a shoulder injury sustained at the end of spring training, Carlos Quentin is starting to hit the ball with the kind of authority I expected. Over the past week, he's batting .375 with 3 homers and 11 RBI and he's scored 5 runs. His splits are totally unbalanced home and away, but that's probably because he's only had one hot streak so far. I'm sure he's on the waiver wire in most roto leagues. The Snakes are wisely taking the pressure off him by batting him seventh right now, but he'll move up the order as his confidence increases. This two run bomb off Oswalt yesterday had to feel pretty good.
I have been monitoring Quentin closely and finally picked him up to pair him with fellow Baby D-Back Chris Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
If you're still hurting at third base and Braun is gone, take a look at Kevin Kouzmanoff. After a horrid April, the Crushin' Russian has batted .321 in May, chipping in 3 homers and 18 RBI.
Kouz can flat out rake. He's going to be like Adrian Gonzalez, where Petco Park isn't going to matter, the numbers are going to be there regardless. I am glad Kouz turned it around to stuff it in the face all of his detractors on San Diego sports talk radio.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #1050
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalBull View Post

Underrated
10. Hafner
9. Joe Nathan
8. Youkilis
7. Polanco
6. Crawford
5. Sabathia
4. Peavy
3. Hanley Ramirez
2. Hoffman
1. Oswalt
Carlos Guillen should be on the underrated list.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote