The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #5251
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenseman View Post
Little anti AL are we? Take a chill, both leauges are essentially the same..dman
Nah, the National League is the Senior Circuit and the American League will always be the inferior Junior Circuit.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #5252
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
Nah, the National League is the Senior Circuit and the American League will always be the inferior Junior Circuit.
The evidence says otherwise.
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #5253
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Somebody is smoking some serious hash. Have you checked the records for interleague paly, allstar games and recent WS games? As of now, NL is an inferior product compared to the AL. Even with the Cards winning the WS, the AL was a much stronger league overall. But, your Padres fanatic personality is showing.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #5254
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The AL plays Finleyball and the NL plays baseball.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #5255
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Well, it's a stupid rule. It's one they should completely abolish. They won't, but they should.

If they allow a DH hitter in the AL, of course the rules would stay the same. If you are talking about getting rid of the DH all together, then you might have a valid point. Having the DH rule gives the NL an advantage they so desperatly need in recent years.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #5256
PatsWin2002
Giggity

I used to be a "baseball purist", but watching pitchers bat is pitiful 98% of the time. It allows teams to pitch around other players and effectively reduce the amount of offense by a significant amount.

This game is not what it was when it was invented. It's all about pitching...and pitching is big money.

The only argument against a DH is that the games are longer.....oh, and that thing about pitchers beaning batters and never having to get in the box themselves.

The DH is the main reason why the NL is the inferior league.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #5257
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I hate watching pitchers attempt to freaking hit the ball, most gawd awful thing in the world.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #5258
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I love the timing right before game seven. I wonder how long they were sitting on this story? Was Byrd on the George Mitchell report which revealed several big names during a conference call last week? From what I understand, MLB is waiting for a convenient time after the World Series to release the Mitchell report. Makes you wonder if this is a ploy by FOX to get the Red Sox into the World Series to juice their ratings. Not to mention, ESPN is such a pro-New England media outlet. This stinks. I hope the Indians come together and prevail.
Been hanging out with Mcgaffey in the Politic section again, huh?

It was the SF chronicle that publised the story this morning, not ESPIN or FOX.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #5259
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsWin2002 View Post
I used to be a "baseball purist", but watching pitchers bat is pitiful 98% of the time. It allows teams to pitch around other players and effectively reduce the amount of offense by a significant amount.

This game is not what it was when it was invented. It's all about pitching...and pitching is big money.

The only argument against a DH is that the games are longer.....oh, and that thing about pitchers beaning batters and never having to get in the box themselves.

The DH is the main reason why the NL is the inferior league.
Face it, the AL has the money. That's the main reason. They buy the players, ergo they buy the championships. Also, they have the DH which is akin to putting a windmill on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach. They can hit and run nine players. They can buy great old hitters who can no longer field in the NL and let them play goofy ball in the AL. Baseball is baseball. If you take a position in the field, you should take a position at bat. It's like a Mulligan in golf. Drunks love it. Golfers don't.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 10-21-2007 at 01:57 PM..
Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #5260
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I hate watching pitchers attempt to freaking hit the ball, most gawd awful thing in the world.
You must not have noticed Owings on the DBacks.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #5261
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Face it, the AL has the money. That's the main reason. They buy the players, ergo they buy the championships. Also, they have the DH which is akin to putting a windmill on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach. They can hit and run nine players. They can buy great old hitters who can no longer field in the NL and let them play goofy ball in the AL. Baseball is baseball. If you take a position in the field, you should take a position at bat. It's like a Mulligan in golf. Drunks love it, golfers don't.

I agree with you to a point. But is baseball a better product with guys like David Ortiz or Edgar Martinez? I think so. I wish to see Ortiz play first base almost as little as I want to see Curt Schilling bat. It's the fans that ultimately win with the AL arrangement.

The money thing I don't get. We are driven by what the mighty Yanks do. They set the prices of everything. We are just fortunate enough to be able to compete by finding new revenue streams and buying all the tickets (always the highest in MLB).

Why can't LA, Chicago, Philly, and Dallas spend what we do? They are all bigger media markets than Boston.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #5262
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
The evidence says otherwise.
The lousy Junior Circuit has rolled over time and time again and allowed one franchise to win almost 4/10 of their total pennants.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #5263
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
The lousy Junior Circuit has rolled over time and time again and allowed one franchise to win almost 4/10 of their total pennants.
Read what broncocalijohn wrote.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #5264
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Somebody is smoking some serious hash. Have you checked the records for interleague paly, allstar games and recent WS games? As of now, NL is an inferior product compared to the AL. Even with the Cards winning the WS, the AL was a much stronger league overall. But, your Padres fanatic personality is showing.
That's why the National League holds a 40-36 all-time advantage in the Midsummer Classic? Do you forget about the 1960s and 1970s when the Senior Circuit steamrolled the Junior every July?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #5265
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
You must not have noticed Owings on the DBacks.
One guy out of how many
Old 10-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #5266
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

[QUOTE=Bronco LB 52;1758025]That's why the National League holds a 40-36 all-time advantage in the Midsummer Classic? Do you forget about the 1960s and 1970s when the Senior Circuit steamrolled the Junior every July?[/QUOTE]

You're sounding like a Chef fan

(sorry low blow, but what can I say.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #5267
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
You haven't seen Micah Owings, Rick Ankiel, Babe Ruth, Jason Marquis, Mike Hampton and Whitey Ford swing the stick.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #5268
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
That's why the National League holds a 40-36 all-time advantage in the Midsummer Classic? Do you forget about the 1960s and 1970s when the Senior Circuit steamrolled the Junior every July?
True. I remember when I was a kid that the NL had won like 9 in a row or something like that. The NL had better players then...and the game was much more meaningful to the players to prove which league was better.

Now, the players union is so strong that players move around much more. And interleague play had erased much more of the differences. All that remains is the DH thing.

MLB is much different now than the 70's when Curt Flood fought the good fight to have things the way they are today.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #5269
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
You haven't seen Micah Owings, Rick Ankiel, Babe Ruth, Jason Marquis, Mike Hampton and Whitey Ford swing the stick.
-Rick Ankiel is no longer a pitcher, he appears to be drugged up outfielder
-Babe Ruth has been dead for long time, and most of the HR came full time outfielder
-Whitey Ford hasn't picked up a bat in long time.

So that leaves 2 active pitchers out of how many
Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #5270
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:

Jeez, you had to go back over 50 years to find 2 of them! I'm not saying that pitchers CAN'T hit. Maddux was pretty good at it, right?

It's just that most of them suck at it and that's OK because that is not why they are there. If a guy can go 6 innings and strike out 8 every outing he can strike out every time he comes to bat. That's a good tradeoff for an NL team. But for a viewer it sucks.

I think you're just used to watching NL baseball and think nothing of it any more.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #5271
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I agree with you to a point. But is baseball a better product with guys like David Ortiz or Edgar Martinez? I think so. I wish to see Ortiz play first base almost as little as I want to see Curt Schilling bat. It's the fans that ultimately win with the AL arrangement.

The money thing I don't get. We are driven by what the mighty Yanks do. They set the prices of everything. We are just fortunate enough to be able to compete by finding new revenue streams and buying all the tickets (always the highest in MLB).

Why can't LA, Chicago, Philly, and Dallas spend what we do? They are all bigger media markets than Boston.
Maybe I'm just biased. I've been a National Leaguer my whole life. I just prefer all the strategy around the pitching slot in the batting lineup. It affects so much of what can happen in a game. It does remind me of the rule in golf that "you play your ball where it lies." Sometimes, it's such a pain in the ass, like if your ball is up against a tree. But that's just the rub of the green. It changes what you can do. In the AL, you just seamlessly go from the 8 slot to the DH and back to the 1 slot. Nothing to think about. Not really much to plan around.

I don't know why the bigger markets don't spend more. Having spent quite a few hours at Chavez Ravine I can tell you, they don't have a real dependable fan base out there.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #5272
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Or Fernando Valenzuela.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #5273
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Spending in quantity is not the issue here, it's efficient spending. There are some contracts on the Red Sox roster that would financially cripple other franchises that no general manager in baseball would want any part of:

Jason Varitek, 4 years, $40 million
J.D. Drew, 5 years, $70 million
Daisuke, 6 years, $52 million + 51, 111, 111.11 milllion

It's wrong when a general manager can make bonehead moves such as these, but still get away with it. That's why I admire what the Rockies, Indians and Diamondbacks did this season. They had a small margin of error and all four franchises put together championship clubs.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #5274
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Good point, Ro. I appreciate the strategy of the NL too...forgot to mention that.

All the best mangers are in the NL...always have been. Francona came from the NL and I always thought Torre did a good job in the NL parks in the WS.

AL managers just have to manage the pitching staff 95% of the time. ESPECIALLY the BoSox. We rarely steal or bunt. I guess you gotta put the ol "hit and run" on once in a while.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #5275
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
Or Fernando Valenzuela.
That 1981 season was crazy. Even as a 14-year old kid in the Boston suburbs I was well aware of the hoopla surrounding that NL pitcher in LA!