The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2007, 10:40 PM   #5226
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Well the trophy wife was good looking and it is Cleveland
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #5227
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I'm still here. (Been working my butt off on the front yard. I did a lot of work taking out sod, putting in new plants and trees, new weed barrier and mulch. Wanted to get it done before the rain and/or snow comes tomorrow.......)

It is too bad that the Injuns won't make it in six. Well, that's okay. Maybe seven... Or maybe not at all.

Who cares? Ramirez doesn't.

That "homer" by Drew looked to be the equivalent of a deep fly ball in Coors. We shall see what happens when the Crimson Hose or the Injuns get Denver.

Remember all the Rockies have to do is split in either Boston or Cleveland. The Rockies can play with either of them, I think.

Nice touch: "You have wakened a sleeping giant. There will be consequences and repercussions....." Sounds ominous. Just like a Junior High thriller play......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:49 PM   #5228
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Nice touch: "You have wakened a sleeping giant. There will be consequences and repercussions....." Sounds ominous. Just like a Junior High thriller play......

I think it's more a reference to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto's_sleeping_giant_quote

Quote:
Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is portrayed in the 1970 film Tora! Tora! Tora!, as saying after his attack on Pearl Harbor, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." The supposed quote was abbreviated in the film Pearl Harbor (2001), where it merely read, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant."
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:55 PM   #5229
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Just looking at the Logo for the Injuns: It is a diamond shaped face with one red finger...er....feather sticking up, with a goofy toothy grin. Is that the index finger or is that the middle finger? Not knowing Cleveland very well, you understand..... Logo looks cartoonish.

The Blackhawks have a better looking logo as far as using indians as logos. I think the Redskins' logo is unimaginative, as well as the cheeps.

So many indians and so many loser logos......
Old 10-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #5230
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsWin2002 View Post
I think it's more a reference to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto's_sleeping_giant_quote
Thank you Captain Obvious. I, too, read about the Japanese attack on Pearl and I also saw both movies. Yamamoto's remarks were made because he did not get the knock out punch on the American Carriers that he had hoped.

The remarks yesterday was a juvenile attempt to draw some correlation between the severe consequences of an act of war to the outcome of a baseball game. Remember Yamamoto's remarks preceded a defeat......

Rather pathetic, actually.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #5231
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsWin2002 View Post
The baseball Gods are smiling on us again. In Cleveland we couldn't do much right and it seemed like all their hits fell in and ours just missed.

Not to count my chickens too early, but a game 7 still scares me. I suppose it should.

As a tribe fan, i think if we don't get on Dice-K in the first couple of innings, stick a fork in us. We DESPERATELY need to take some momentum and we NEED to get out to an early lead. If we fall behind, i think thats it
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #5232
defenseman
Ring of Famer

2007 record pred. (7-9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
As a tribe fan, i think if we don't get on Dice-K in the first couple of innings, stick a fork in us. We DESPERATELY need to take some momentum and we NEED to get out to an early lead. If we fall behind, i think thats it
too be honest, I have a feeling Dice-K is due for a patented "dice-k" kind of game, the good kind that the red sox expect. In addition, I have a funny feeling "jake" won't be quite as fortunate against the sox hitters as he was in cleveland. in any case, another game 7, good entertainment for sure seeing as the broncos are playing the steelers. I'm guessing the bronco game may be pretty tough to watch by midway through the third. I'll use the "rtn channel" to check in football now and again..dman
defenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:52 AM   #5233
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Thank you Captain Obvious. I, too, read about the Japanese attack on Pearl and I also saw both movies. Yamamoto's remarks were made because he did not get the knock out punch on the American Carriers that he had hoped.

The remarks yesterday was a juvenile attempt to draw some correlation between the severe consequences of an act of war to the outcome of a baseball game. Remember Yamamoto's remarks preceded a defeat......

Rather pathetic, actually.
I bet a lot of people didn't know that quote. You win a cookie.
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #5234
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Hey,

Any word on how the Rocks have looked in their simulated games? I know it's a reach but this has been a long lay off!
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 AM   #5235
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
Hey,

Any word on how the Rocks have looked in their simulated games? I know it's a reach but this has been a long lay off!
Rockies found a way so that both teams could win.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:17 AM   #5236
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
Hey,

Here's a decent summary. I've read a few places that Aaron Cook looked really sharp. I really hope they put him on the roster - it would allow them to bump Morales to the bullpen. The upside of a fresh Aaron Cook to start Game Four is much higher than that of having a guy like Taylor Buchholz available for middle relief.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:00 AM   #5237
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Here's a decent summary. I've read a few places that Aaron Cook looked really sharp. I really hope they put him on the roster - it would allow them to bump Morales to the bullpen. The upside of a fresh Aaron Cook to start Game Four is much higher than that of having a guy like Taylor Buchholz available for middle relief.
Cool article. I totally forgot that the rules change when in Boston or Cleveland. As a new baseball fan, that is still odd to me, different rules for different teams. But anyways, totally forgot that somebody would have to hit for the pitchers. That will be interesting.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:11 AM   #5238
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Cool article. I totally forgot that the rules change when in Boston or Cleveland. As a new baseball fan, that is still odd to me, different rules for different teams. But anyways, totally forgot that somebody would have to hit for the pitchers. That will be interesting.
It will be a bigger problem for the AL team tho. The NL team just plugs in its best hitter for the games at the AL ballpark and does what it always does when at home, whereas the AL team will have to change its lineup for the games in Denver.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:16 AM   #5239
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
It will be a bigger problem for the AL team tho. The NL team just plugs in its best hitter for the games at the AL ballpark and does what it always does when at home, whereas the AL team will have to change its lineup for the games in Denver.
Good point. That means Boston would have to bench somebody to put Ortiz in the field, if they were to make it. I never thought of it that way. You're right, that is a big problem.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #5240
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Well, it's a stupid rule. It's one they should completely abolish. They won't, but they should.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:27 AM   #5241
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

i cant wait to see those fat ass AL players play the Rockies. we run every ground ball out. i dont think those fat AL players know how to turn a double play with the pressure we will bring.
i couldnt even watch the game tonight-fatass pitcher takes his time taking the mound. fat ass batter takes his time getting into the batters box.........
four hours to play nine innings. and MLB wonders why NFL is the number one sport?
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:54 AM   #5242
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Well, it's a stupid rule. It's one they should completely abolish. They won't, but they should.
The DH has infiltrated all levels of baseball (HS, college, minors) which is a sad sight to see.

That lowlife Donald Fehr won't give it up in the AL.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 AM   #5243
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
four hours to play nine innings. and MLB wonders why NFL is the number one sport?
The time of games has been an issue throughout the playoffs. Several of these games have been stretched out to four hours in a nine inning span. I have noticed FOX and TBS are getting extra ad time between innings that's atypical of regular season baseball. MLB never seems to get it. 2-2.5 hour games like we saw 30 years ago in baseball should be the norm.

Despite all of baseball's blunders, they aren't that far behind the NFL, at least in making money. Here's the total revenues for the major four sports in 2006:

1. NFL $5.86 Billion
2. MLB $5.2 Billion
3. NBA $3.13 Billion
4. NHL $2.2 Billion
Old 10-21-2007, 05:45 AM   #5244
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

god i wish i had picture in pitcure for tonight lol
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #5245
defenseman
Ring of Famer

2007 record pred. (7-9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
i cant wait to see those fat ass AL players play the Rockies. we run every ground ball out. i dont think those fat AL players know how to turn a double play with the pressure we will bring.
i couldnt even watch the game tonight-fatass pitcher takes his time taking the mound. fat ass batter takes his time getting into the batters box.........
Little anti AL are we? Take a chill, both leauges are essentially the same..dman
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #5246
defenseman
Ring of Famer

2007 record pred. (7-9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
god i wish i had picture in pitcure for tonight lol
Do you really think the broncos will be competitive with the steelers tonight? I , quite frankly, do not. Believe the steelers will run all over the D, essentially game over once that happens. Besides, thought you were trying to go the game at fenway? Man I used to love to go to fenway, take the train down from lowell and down to boston...what a blast....dman
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #5247
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenseman View Post
Do you really think the broncos will be competitive with the steelers tonight? I , quite frankly, do not. Believe the steelers will run all over the D, essentially game over once that happens. Besides, thought you were trying to go the game at fenway? Man I used to love to go to fenway, take the train down from lowell and down to boston...what a blast....dman
stranger things have happened. It looks like I will be needing an afternoon nap to stay up tonight. What real suck is I am TDY tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #5248
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
It depends on the team.

For Cleveland, they have two young aces who've never been anything but AL guys and haven't taken regular ABs at all in their ML career. They also have Travis Hafner at DH, and while he's been scuffling of late he is arguably their best hitter but a god awful fielder. Add that Wedge has never managed a major league club without the DH and you've got an interesting situation that I would say favors the Rockies.

For Boston, they feature Beckett and Schilling, two guys with most of their career starts in the NL. Their #4 starter, Tim Wakefield, started his career in the NL for the Pirates, as a first baseman. Their pitchers have had to bat regularly before, and have pretty strong fundamentals. As for DH, Ortiz is actually a passable 1B, they just prefer to DH him because early in his career he had a lot of knee injuries associated with the daily wear and tear of fielding. 3 games of it aren't going to be significant in that regard. Though it is something of a defensive downgrade as Youkilis has been outstanding with the glove this season. Also, Terry Francona managed the Phillies for several years and played most of his career in the NL, so he is very familiar with the NL game. Its not nearly the edge at home that playing Cleveland would be.

It'll be interesting regardless though. If its Cleveland and Wedge we'll see how quickly a primarily AL guy can change gears and handle the NL rules. If its the Red Sox and Francona I expect to see as close to a managerial battle as baseball really gets.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #5249
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

ESPN is reporting that Paul Byrd is under investigation for purchasing large doses of HGH ($25 K worth). Now that funny.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #5250
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
ESPN is reporting that Paul Byrd is under investigation for purchasing large doses of HGH ($25 K worth). Now that funny.
I love the timing right before game seven. I wonder how long they were sitting on this story? Was Byrd on the George Mitchell report which revealed several big names during a conference call last week? From what I understand, MLB is waiting for a convenient time after the World Series to release the Mitchell report. Makes you wonder if this is a ploy by FOX to get the Red Sox into the World Series to juice their ratings. Not to mention, ESPN is such a pro-New England media outlet. This stinks. I hope the Indians come together and prevail.