The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #5176
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,303
Default

Good for Torre. Good for the rest of teh AL East, too. Maybe he will take that job at Pawtucket..........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #5177
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,715

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
Yankees offered Torre a one year extension and Torre told them to **** off.
not just a one year extension, but they offered him less money than what he made this year...About 2 million less.


Joe Girardi is most likely to be the next manager.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #5178
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,764

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Good for Joe Torre. They offer him less money? This is a team with a supposedly limitless bank account. Screw that! I'm glad he walked.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #5179
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...
 
BMF Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 11,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
A semi- what? Didn't get your thought there......

You mean the Rockies? Oh, yeah, a Rockies win would just tickle the Cubs National Whiners Club members to death, I am sure.

I do believe, and this might make an interesting book, that a Rockies/Injun Series would be the least viewed series in post-modern (whatever that means) Baseball History. I do not think that the Rockies have enough appeal on their own, yet, to draw a following from the masses that survive rush hours on the Eastern Shores of our Great Nation. (They would get a passing "good job" nod on the evening Sport casts, though). Neither do I think the Injuns are gonna be a great draw from many places. There may be a smidgen of a AL versus NL crowd, but those guys are not as plentiful as the League would hope. (These are the guys who actually stand in the aisles, lean against the racks and study the preseason magazines at the Grocery Stores in January.) The only others I can think of would be people who have a few bucks at risk in the OTB shops and in Vegas. And maybe a bookie or three.

Now if the Crimson Hosiery make it, the TV audience would be a bit greater, and that would be good for the Rockies' PR Department.

But I think the Injuns are gonna do it. I could be wrong, but I just don't think so.....
hahaha, sorry, that was supposed to say fledgling.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #5180
Jens1893
Ring of Famer
 
Jens1893's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: People´s Republic of Bad Cannstatt
Posts: 9,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
not just a one year extension, but they offered him less money than what he made this year...About 2 million less.


Joe Girardi is most likely to be the next manager.
I like this for the sole fact that someone stood up to Steinbrenner and showed him that he can´t hang people out dry in public and then expect them to do what he wants when he changes his mind.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #5181
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,764

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Sorry but that Horse ****. Both the Os and the Blue Jay have the ability to put quality teams on the field that can compete. The Jays brought in number of high price talent via FA that got hurt or they would be right in the thick of AL EAST last two seasons. Aneglos was more worried about protecting the money going into his pocket then he was worried about that team. He basically fielded a crappy team so that MLB would pay him to allow the Nationals to play in DC (he gets a piece of the National TV deal and forced the local cable companies to put his crappy tv station on the boxes if the wanted to show Nationals games). That man is pure scum. I really feel sorry for that fan base, that team has the ability to make more $ then Red Soxs due to the market.

And as Sweet Lou has said before the TB ownership group aren't interest in winning but spending as little as possible and collecting their piece of the revenue share pie.
With all due respect, I think you're wrong. There is an upper tier in baseball that can afford to spend ridiculous money on salaries: the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs. Two of those teams (Yankees and Red Sox) are willing to spend it. Are the other teams cheap because they won't spend $150 million in salaries? I think they're realistic about how much money they can afford to lose.

I can't defend the likes of the Devil Rays, with their $24 million in salaries. But Peter Angelos? He's an idiot, but he's spending $94 million in 2007. The Blue Jays are at $81 million. That puts them in the top half of baseball - the Orioles, in the top ten. But even in the top ten, the Orioles could double the salary of every one of their players, and they still would be behind the Yankees.

So again, I contend that there is almost no way to compete in the same division over 162 games against teams that are doubling and tripling what you're spending on salaries. And I think it's elitist to say that a team spending in the top ten of baseball is somehow cheap, because they aren't willing to spend the ridiculous money of the top two.

Again, I am not blaming the Yankees or Red Sox. I am blaming the system that allows it. I don't like those teams - especially the Red Sox. But as I said before, my justification for that isn't really rational. It's not irrational to say that a league that allows one team to spend eight times more than another cannot be healthy.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #5182
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,715

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
I like this for the sole fact that someone stood up to Steinbrenner and showed him that he can´t hang people out dry in public and then expect them to do what he wants when he changes his mind.
I don't think the Boss is calling the shots anymore, I think his sons are taking over now who could probably be bigger A-holes than the Boss.They knew with the 5 million dollar for one year offer that Torre would reject it and why it took two weeks to do it just tells me that the FO of the Yankees are clueless.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #5183
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
With all due respect, I think you're wrong. There is an upper tier in baseball that can afford to spend ridiculous money on salaries: the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs. Two of those teams (Yankees and Red Sox) are willing to spend it. Are the other teams cheap because they won't spend $150 million in salaries? I think they're realistic about how much money they can afford to lose.

I can't defend the likes of the Devil Rays, with their $24 million in salaries. But Peter Angelos? He's an idiot, but he's spending $94 million in 2007. The Blue Jays are at $81 million. That puts them in the top half of baseball - the Orioles, in the top ten. But even in the top ten, the Orioles could double the salary of every one of their players, and they still would be behind the Yankees.

So again, I contend that there is almost no way to compete in the same division over 162 games against teams that are doubling and tripling what you're spending on salaries. And I think it's elitist to say that a team spending in the top ten of baseball is somehow cheap, because they aren't willing to spend the ridiculous money of the top two.

Again, I am not blaming the Yankees or Red Sox. I am blaming the system that allows it. I don't like those teams - especially the Red Sox. But as I said before, my justification for that isn't really rational. It's not irrational to say that a league that allows one team to spend eight times more than another cannot be healthy.
The problem that I have the teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Jays and Os) aren't losing money, and in Aneglos case he more then an idoit he is money hunger scum. Go look back and look at the crap he threaten MLB with to keep baseball out of DC.

Back to the point all the owners knew the system that they bought into and they have had the ability to change it at anytime. So if they aren't willing compete in agreed upon system, then get out.

It might sound elitist but I am glad I support a team that ownership group is willing to get resources into Fenway to win. I suffered through enough Hosey types to be glad that my team is going quality product on the field these days.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #5184
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,764

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The problem that I have the teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Jays and Os) aren't losing money, and in Aneglos case he more then an idoit he is money hunger scum. Go look back and look at the crap he threaten MLB with to keep baseball out of DC.

Back to the point all the owners knew the system that they bought into and they have had the ability to change it at anytime. So if they aren't willing compete in agreed upon system, then get out.

It might sound elitist but I am glad I support a team that ownership group is willing to get resources into Fenway to win. I suffered through enough Hosey types to be glad that my team is going quality product on the field these days.
Well, I can't argue with any of that. I acknowledge the fact that Peter Angelos is a fool. But for years and years, the other owners responded to his threats about putting a team in DC. That being said, that is just one of the issues that makes Angelos a fool.

And the owners in baseball are jackasses. They have over a hundred years of jackass history to draw on. They can't be trusted - by the players, the fans, or themselves. They are unbelievably short-sighted - unbelievably! Baseball succeeds in spite of these buffoons.

And I don't blame you for being glad you follow a team with aggressive ownership. That's why I say my feelings about it aren't rational. I would LOVE to have that situation. I HATE the Monforts - the last month has lessened that, but it's still pretty strong. I resent that they won't sell the club to a guy like Stan Kroenke, who has shown Denver sports fans, time and time again, that he will invest what it takes to build a winner. Their justification? They want the team to be passed to their progeny - it's a hobby that's fun for the whole family, apparently. So, essentially, what they're saying is, "The Monforts are more important than the baseball fans in the city of Denver!"

I am THRILLED for what the Rockies have done this year. But Dan O'Dowd has done that in spite of the restraints the Monforts have put on him. And if they open up the coffers the next two years to lock up some of their young stars, I will happily eat my words about them.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #5185
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Well, I can't argue with any of that. I acknowledge the fact that Peter Angelos is a fool. But for years and years, the other owners responded to his threats about putting a team in DC. That being said, that is just one of the issues that makes Angelos a fool.

And the owners in baseball are jackasses. They have over a hundred years of jackass history to draw on. They can't be trusted - by the players, the fans, or themselves. They are unbelievably short-sighted - unbelievably! Baseball succeeds in spite of these buffoons.

And I don't blame you for being glad you follow a team with aggressive ownership. That's why I say my feelings about it aren't rational. I would LOVE to have that situation. I HATE the Monforts - the last month has lessened that, but it's still pretty strong. I resent that they won't sell the club to a guy like Stan Kroenke, who has shown Denver sports fans, time and time again, that he will invest what it takes to build a winner. Their justification? They want the team to be passed to their progeny - it's a hobby that's fun for the whole family, apparently. So, essentially, what they're saying is, "The Monforts are more important than the baseball fans in the city of Denver!"

I am THRILLED for what the Rockies have done this year. But Dan O'Dowd has done that in spite of the restraints the Monforts have put on him. And if they open up the coffers the next two years to lock up some of their young stars, I will happily eat my words about them.
Look I understand your position, but I'm just tried of the excuse that some fans use that their team can not compete because Yankees and Red Sox spend to much money. Isn't it the America way to get best and the brightest?

The problem isn't those teams, it ownership groups that rather pocket money then embrace the rules and exploit them. I hope for your sake and rest of Rockie fans that the Monforts don't use this season as excuse not to improve your team and keep it competitive next season. I will argue in today media age there aren't any small market teams, just teams that are unwilling to be competitive.


And I will even acknoweldge that Sox for last 5 year have collect to many freaking bandwagon fans because it was cool to root for them. It piss me off that none of those a-holes know the history of the team or weren't there through all crap my grandfather, father, male relatives, brother and myself had to endure when rooting for this team.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #5186
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
hahaha, sorry, that was supposed to say fledgling.
Yeah. Just kidding ya a little...

Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #5187
SpringStein
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monument, CO
Posts: 2,782
Default

As a Rockies fan...

should I be cheering for this series to go 7 and wear down the pitching staff of the winning team?

or

Have the Indians finish it off and have 5 days off?
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #5188
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

If the Tribe gets in, this will be the first World Series since 1997 without one of the big money 8 in it.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #5189
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Boo Sox up 1-0

Last edited by Hogan11; 10-18-2007 at 08:27 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #5190
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Tribe ties it up 1-1
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #5191
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Look I understand your position, but I'm just tried of the excuse that some fans use that their team can not compete because Yankees and Red Sox spend to much money. Isn't it the America way to get best and the brightest?

The problem isn't those teams, it ownership groups that rather pocket money then embrace the rules and exploit them. I hope for your sake and rest of Rockie fans that the Monforts don't use this season as excuse not to improve your team and keep it competitive next season. I will argue in today media age there aren't any small market teams, just teams that are unwilling to be competitive.


And I will even acknoweldge that Sox for last 5 year have collect to many freaking bandwagon fans because it was cool to root for them. It piss me off that none of those a-holes know the history of the team or weren't there through all crap my grandfather, father, male relatives, brother and myself had to endure when rooting for this team.
It's also the American way to be an individualist and selfmade man on a level playing field by the sweat of your brow. That's the dream in a nutshell.

As such, the only truly equitable system by that notion is then to put a half dozen teams in New York or any major city and split the fanbases and revenue that way.
rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #5192
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

A hard salary cap with a salary floor is needed...the "luxury tax" is a complete joke.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #5193
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Ugh...Indians are getting killed.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #5194
OrangeShadow
armed
 
and dangerous

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,757
Default

10Ks for beckett
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #5195
PatsWin2002
Giggity
 
PatsWin2002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 6,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Ugh...Indians are getting killed.
We might have to put in Gagne before this one gets out of hand.
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #5196
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,989

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
I like this for the sole fact that someone stood up to Steinbrenner and showed him that he can´t hang people out dry in public and then expect them to do what he wants when he changes his mind.
Agreed 100%. I wanted Torre to quit before the last game, even though he would have hung the team out to dry and been totally unprofessional. Obviously as sports fans, we see this type of thing all the time. What have you done for me lately, etc. But to do it publicly? That was pretty ****ty. I'm real glad Torre refused. He deserved better.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:04 AM   #5197
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,303
Default

The Sawks win it. Now to Fenway for number 6. This is the game that means it all. If the Sawks win, they should cruise to the Series in game seven.

To be frank, I think the Rockies can play with either of them.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #5198
Jens1893
Ring of Famer
 
Jens1893's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: People´s Republic of Bad Cannstatt
Posts: 9,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
The Sawks win it. Now to Fenway for number 6. This is the game that means it all. If the Sawks win, they should cruise to the Series in game seven.

To be frank, I think the Rockies can play with either of them.....
With Dice K on the mound?
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:42 AM   #5199
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,463

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

I'm a huge tribe fan and now terrified. Did not want this to go back to Fenway and agree that if it goes to game 7, we stand little chance...Dice K or no Dice K. Thankfully we have our best pitcher going on Sat...lets hope he goes F up like last game.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #5200
OrangeShadow
armed
 
and dangerous

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,757
Default

that josh becketts a pretty good pitcher ey?
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Denver Broncos