The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #451
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Is it just me, or are BoSox/Yankees games really the only thing in sports that compares with Broncos/Raiders games
Its just you.

Because Duke/UNC games compare.

OSU/Michigan games compare.

And, while few non 'Stros fans would agree: Astros/Cardinal games compare.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #452
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Is it just me, or are BoSox/Yankees games really the only thing in sports that compares with Broncos/Raiders games
Ever since the Avalanche/Red Wings rivalry petered out, pretty much.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #453
sixtimeseight
Ring of Famer

Quote:
sixtimeseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #454
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtimeseight View Post
Lidge has had that same facial expression on the mound just about every time since that Ruthian shot by Pujols.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #455
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtimeseight View Post

Albert Pujols looks like such a caveman in that photo!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #456
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post

Dude, just shut up...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #457
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

I'm actually pumped to watch Seattle tonight.

Jose Guillen vs. Entire city of Anahiem! ROCK ON!
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #458
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Game time - Schilling has that look tonight. Looking for Tek to beat that pansy AROD again

Last edited by elsid13; 04-20-2007 at 07:06 PM..
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #459
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Seattle's going to start last year's no. 1 pick, Brandon Morrow, next Monday against Texas.

Brilliant prospect development. Hope he doesn't implode.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #460
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Seattle's going to start last year's no. 1 pick, Brandon Morrow, next Monday against Texas.

Brilliant prospect development. Hope he doesn't implode.
If the prospect is healthy I'm all for giving them shots at the bigs...especially if they're on the cusp. You can always send them back down for a bit if they falter. My feeling is if their psyche gets severely damaged after a bad debut...then they might not have what it takes anyway. Any pitcher is going to get shelled occasionally.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #461
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

****in a-rod
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #462
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Tek 2 Run Hr.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #463
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Another bomb by ARod and he almost killed Coco Crisp in the process.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #464
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

The only thing stopping A-Rod is his head. Watching this guy this year is insane.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #465
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
If the prospect is healthy I'm all for giving them shots at the bigs...especially if they're on the cusp. You can always send them back down for a bit if they falter. My feeling is if their psyche gets severely damaged after a bad debut...then they might not have what it takes anyway. Any pitcher is going to get shelled occasionally.
Well, I'm for him starting, as opposed to rotting in the bullpen. I'm just more afraid of the "bust" than I am of the potential "boom" (which would be nice, because, you know, Jeff Weaver sucks).

Bavasi's been rushing our prospects. Adam Jones (SD product) was a K-machine in AAA after being rushed, as was Jeff Clement ('05 no. 1 pick).

Mark Lowe was the 2nd best arm in the pen after making the jump from high A last year...I pray Morrow can have similar success.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #466
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

This has been a pretty exciting Yanks/Sox game.

For as good as A-Rod has played, I really wonder what the response will be after he came up short in the 9th inning, against Boston, and the Yanks down 1.

I mean, he's played fantastic, but New York sports fans aren't necessarily rational.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #467
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
For as good as A-Rod has played, I really wonder what the response will be after he came up short in the 9th inning, against Boston, and the Yanks down 1.

I mean, he's played fantastic, but New York sports fans aren't necessarily rational.
Sadly enough they'd rip him for it while ignoring the fact that Derek Jeter led off that inning with a weak grounder to 2nd.

A-Rod's line for the night:

3-5, 2 HR, 2B, 4 RBI, 3 R

I can see why they'd bash that guy. What a suckhole.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #468
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Guillen crushes a double in his first AB! KEEP HATIN' ANAHIEM!
Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #469
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Brad Lidge with yet another rough go of it tonight. Gave up a three run bomb to Prince Fielder.

That guy needs a fresh start somewhere else.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #470
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

The John Danks (and others) for Brandon McCarthy deal between the Sox and Rangers, which had Pale Hose fans ready to throw Kenny Williams unders the bus, looks favorable for the Sox so far.

McCarthy just ****ing bombed again tonight. Brandon just serves up gophers and leaves his junk too high in the strike zone.

Danks has been good in all 3 starts so far, and his mediocre stats line tonight is because Uribe had a brain fart on simple pop fly.

Lots of calendar left, but it's hard to believe many scouts had McCarthy rated over Liriano, based on the way it appears.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #471
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I'm ready to fire up the "Trade Todd Helton for his own good" bandwagon again.

This Rockies team is dreadful and he isn't getting any younger. Move him now while he's still productive and can help a contending team.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #472
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I'm with you Clockwork, because I want to see him go to a winning team and have a shot at a Championship, he deserves it.
This team is pathetic, I thought it would be better than this. I mean, 5 games where you have zero extra base hits? Thats almost 1/3 of their games! Not to mention the string of games they had going on with less than 5 runs scored.
I feel sorry for anybody who has a Rockie hitter for fantasy baseball. Taveras has sucked beyond belief so far, Atkins has been almost nonexistent, Helton is ripping the ball with nobody on base, Holliday hasn't done much, Hawpe has had like 1 or 2 good games, and Baker's in a huge slump since starting 7-10. I bet Taveras and Atkins are pissing people off the most.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #473
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Love View Post
The John Danks (and others) for Brandon McCarthy deal between the Sox and Rangers, which had Pale Hose fans ready to throw Kenny Williams unders the bus, looks favorable for the Sox so far.

McCarthy just ****ing bombed again tonight. Brandon just serves up gophers and leaves his junk too high in the strike zone.

Danks has been good in all 3 starts so far, and his mediocre stats line tonight is because Uribe had a brain fart on simple pop fly.

Lots of calendar left, but it's hard to believe many scouts had McCarthy rated over Liriano, based on the way it appears.
They couldn't have sent McCarthy to a less favorable home park. If he finishes the year with an ERA under 5.00, I'll be shocked.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #474
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
There's more to it than that. You don't learn and refine your game at the MLB level, you produce or get shelled.

What if he has a few control issues? He won't be working them out in the show. If he has #1 stuff but the control problems make him produce like a #4 then he'll wind up being a #4 most, if not all, of his career.

What if his only good pitch is his fastball? You can't start in the bigs with just one pitch, and its not easy to learn and experiment with another pitching to the top level.

Thats just from the player perspective, the most important reason you don't rush guys is from a franchise perspective. Players need to accumulate six years of MLB service time before they're FAs and a new draft pick doesn't start using options until he's been in the system for three or four years. By developing players in the minors and bringing them up when they're truly MLB ready you get your first six years of service time during a guy's peak, not when he's still developing and then you get to watch him walk or shell out big money when he's just starting to reach his full potential.

Jeremy Bonderman is a great example of this. He's currently a #2/#3 starter that just got a four year, $38M deal two years away from FA. He's 24. No imagine if the Tigers had held off on rushing him and brought him up say, two years ago when he would've been better developed. He'd likely have been just as productive the past two years if not more so and they would still be a season away from arbitration, four from free agency. Instead they're now paying him like a legitimate #2 or #3 starter instead of having him playing for peanuts.

Jon Papelbon is 26, last year was his first year of MLB service time. That means the Red Sox have him making less than $1M this year and next, then in '09 he finally gets to see arbitration which won't award him a salary equal to what he really is, a top tier closer. Then they control him in that fashion for the '09-'11 seasons. He's a price controlled Sox' property until he's 31 and he's filthy good.

Financially savvy teams don't rush prospects to be a few wins better this year, they take their lumps, develop their guys, and get the most out of the investment. It frees up more of the budget to pursue other needed pieces as opposed to rush job prospects and patch work veterans making up the 25 man roster.

A lot of people don't realize this but the Red Sox are still working to rebuild a farm system that the previous ownership/management stripped bare. Thats the primary reason they've been signing high priced FAs. Imagine what they'll look like when half the starters are home grown talents making a 10th of what they're really worth and the rest of the enormous budget can be invested in only the creme de la creme of FAs. For example, does anyone doubt that Manny's contract expiring after '08, the same year Miguel Cabrera reaches FA, isn't going to have a direct relationship on the Red Sox future?

Great win by the Sox last night too, loved watching them pound Rivera. It was especially rewarding to see that despite the 6-2 lead Torre went to his 'pen before Tito, working three of his most reliable arms in a loss with two no name rookies facing Beckett and Matsuzaka today and tommorow.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #475
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Nick Markakis is really finding a groove. Kid got off to a slow start, but he's looking pretty locked in lately.

The Orioles have won 7 of 8, also.