The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #426
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

another save for the POPE
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #427
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Billy View Post
Buehrle pitched great, but he wouldn't have got the no hitter w/o Crede's glove at 3rd! What a play! "He gone!"
Chavez getting that award last year over Joe was a crime.

No one played better hot corner last year than Crede.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #428
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Derek Lowe wants everyone to know that his subpar outing last night at Coors Field was in no way his own fault.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270418127

Lowe blamed the altitude for his poor outing.

"It's not really baseball," he said of pitching at Coors Field. "This is the only place in baseball that bad games affect me. This is really a tough place to pitch. If you played here 81 games and you can't hit here you should quit."

------

Always makes me chuckle when players come in here and use the built in excuses when they play poorly. If they don't pitch well, it's the altitude. If they don't hit well, it's the humidor.

Same old, same old.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #429
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Here's a question for the seam heads here:
Is Omar Vizquel a HOFer? His numbers basically mirror Ozzie Smith's and Ozzie was a first ballot guy (which seems to be a widely debated issue on it's own)
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #430
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

A-Rod with another walk off home run, a 3 run bomb this time.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #431
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Praise The Lord! The Chosen One Is Not Un-healthy!
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #432
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
A-Rod with another walk off home run, a 3 run bomb this time.
Yankee fan says "It should have been a 4 run home run."
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #433
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Hernandez left the game with tightness in the elbow of his pitching arm.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2842468
For those that know something about mechanics and the strain certain pitches put on the elbow, this is not a surprise. King Felix has solid mechanics, but sinker/slider pitchers are much more prone to blowing out their elbow when they throw a high percentage of sinkers/sliders. King Felix is guity. His slider is dowright nasty, but it's hard and hard sliders are death on the elbow. Just ask Rob Nen. Jake Peavy is next.

And the shocker of the season: Rich Harden left his last start with an inflamed shoulder. It's sad becasue he's uber-talented, but his diminutive frame cannot support the consistent high 90's gas he brings.

I worry BIG TIME about Tim Lincecum's durability for just this reason.
Smelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #434
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Which is why Randy Johnson is still throwing sliders at 40.

What a surprise that Smalvag is back after another pitcher injury to say I told you so. Except he never said crap about Felix. He's still patting himself on the back for saying a pitcher who missed half the previous season was injury prone.

Pitchers get hurt at a far higher rate than position players. They are also far more likely to see a decline in their performance when trying to play through an injury than position players. This is Baseball 101.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #435
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Nice, 'Stros down 6-2 in the 8th, score 5 in the 8th to take the lead 7-6.

9th inning Lane just jacks a solo homer to put us up 8-6.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #436
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Really? I never said anything about King Felix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelvin View Post
Lol...go look back at the thread. My agenda was to point out that with pitchers, you can look at their deliveries and have a good indication of who will endure injury, and who will not. YOU felt the need to dispute that fact...which further proves your lack of knowledge or simple ignorance. Sure you love your fantasy game, but I'm trying to give you some advice. Stay away from pitchers with violent deliveries, guys who throw high percentages of sinkers/sliders, and guys who have diminutive body fames. Liriano, Harden, Peavy, Webb, soon to be King Felix...all are injuries in the making.

Injuries to pitchers, in the BROAD picture, are not random. Are you going to continue to dispute that, jackass?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #437
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Dumbass. Pitchers get hurt frequently. You can throw out any half a dozen names and eventually most of those guys will have some kind of shoulder or elbow operation.

Mark Prior was a hulk with perfect mechanics and your hero Dusty Baker ruined him in a season and a half.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #438
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Rich Hill tossing yet another gem.

8 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 3 BB, 7 K's
Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #439
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
Dumbass. Pitchers get hurt frequently. You can throw out any half a dozen names and eventually most of those guys will have some kind of shoulder or elbow operation.

Mark Prior was a hulk with perfect mechanics and your hero Dusty Baker ruined him in a season and a half.
There are always exceptions to the rule. Unit is one of them. Without a doubt. He is a freak of nature in more ways than one.

It all comes down to the delivery and where the elbow is at during release point and the position of the fingers on the baseball... there is much more to it, but yes, generally pitchers with power arms that throw sliders generally put much more torque on their elbows as they throw the slider sometimes even harder (arm effort) than the fastball... and when they do that, they break down the delivery a bit... Guys with curveballs generally stay in line to the plate at full extension where slider guys often cut across their body as they release the slider... or they flip their wrist over, exposing the UCL area.

My point all along has been that you CAN, to a certain degree, predict injuries among pitchers. Of course there are exceptions, but since you're such a fantasy expert, and you know everything, I would expect you to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #440
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I agree that certain pitchers are at greater risk and I have always agreed on that point. I just wish you would understand that not every player is going to be able to perform with perfect mechanics and not every pitcher is blessed with a perfect build for pitching. Its not like most guys have such a diverse aresenal, or such God given velocity, they can decide not to throw certain pitches. You throw what gets batters out and what gets you to the Majors.

At first glance, Pedro doesn't look much like a Major League starter at 5'11", 185 pounds. So convinced was Tommy Lasorda that Pedro would wear down, he dealt him straight up for Delino DeShields. Of course, Pedro has been very durable. His gifts as a pitcher are not as readily apparent as Mark Prior's cannonball calves, but Pedro's lithe build and long, supple fingers enabled him to master any pitch he wanted. His compact physique enabled him to bring electric stuff from the stretch with just a slide step.

And the bottom line is there are two kinds of pitchers: the kind who've been injured and the kind who are going to be injured.

So, I'm done with this circular argument. Felix is injured. Congratulations.

Last edited by -Slap-; 04-19-2007 at 11:08 PM..
Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #441
Crowpointer
Patriots Fan

Bill Belichick-Hingham's finest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Brady
Default What's that smell ?

Walking up to my Downtown office building this morning I recognized that familiar foul stench in the air. The I'd like to crawl in the same snuggie within Yankees are in town.
Crowpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #442
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
I agree that certain pitchers are at greater risk and I have always agreed on that point. I just wish you would understand that not every player is going to be able to perform with perfect mechanics and not every pitcher is blessed with a perfect build for pitching. Its not like most guys have such a diverse aresenal, or such God given velocity, they can decide not to throw certain pitches. You throw what gets batters out and what gets you to the Majors.

At first glance, Pedro doesn't look much like a Major League starter at 5'11", 185 pounds. So convinced was Tommy Lasorda that Pedro would wear down, he dealt him straight up for Delino DeShields. Of course, Pedro has been very durable. His gifts as a pitcher are not as readily apparent as Mark Prior's cannonball calves, but Pedro's lithe build and long, supple fingers enabled him to master any pitch he wanted. His compact physique enabled him to bring electric stuff from the stretch with just a slide step.

And the bottom line is there are two kinds of pitchers: the kind who've been injured and the kind who are going to be injured.

So, I'm done with this circular argument. Felix is injured. Congratulations.
My point EXACTLY. Finally you drop the name calling routine and actually engage as a somewhat rational human being.

And the entire purpose of this discussion is I was trying to tell you (and others) that if you do your due diligence you can avoid drafting the higher injury risks in your fantasy draft. Nothing kills a fantasy team quicker than injuries. Nothing. With that said, it simply doesn't make sense (IMO) to load up on uber-talented SP that also carry injury risks, especially in keeper leagues.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #443
Crowpointer
Patriots Fan

Bill Belichick-Hingham's finest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Brady

If Big Papi has a bad night at the plate he can blame it on the Book signing he is doing today. I stumbled on it a lunchtime at Barnes and Nobles. He is going to have some serious writers cramp with the line that went back and forth out in front of the store.
Crowpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #444
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Did anyone else see the ESPN commerical with David Ortiz & Jorge Posada? Ortiz & Posada are sitting there with some jabroni from Sportscenter. Posada pulls out a new Yankees cap he just got, Ortiz and the other guy remark about how new it looks. Ortiz then tells him that he needs to break it in, so he starts bending the bill and then (in a move that must have caused projectile vomiting from many a Red Sox fan) put the cap on his own head. The Red Sox mascot comes walking by as Ortiz is sitting there with a Yankees cap on and drops everything he's carrying in shock. Ortiz stands up and says, "It's not what you think!"

Funny stuff.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #445
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Did anyone else see the ESPN commerical with David Ortiz & Jorge Posada? Ortiz & Posada are sitting there with some jabroni from Sportscenter. Posada pulls out a new Yankees cap he just got, Ortiz and the other guy remark about how new it looks. Ortiz then tells him that he needs to break it in, so he starts bending the bill and then (in a move that must have caused projectile vomiting from many a Red Sox fan) put the cap on his own head. The Red Sox mascot comes walking by as Ortiz is sitting there with a Yankees cap on and drops everything he's carrying in shock. Ortiz stands up and says, "It's not what you think!"

Funny stuff.
Yeah they had a behind the scenes thin on NESN last week. The commecial is hillarious.

Sox Yanks this weekend,doesnt get any better then this i cant wait!!
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #446
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Yankees-Red Sox, Mets-Braves, Cubs-Cardinals and White Sox-Tigers all this weekend.

All good.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #447
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Aw well, at least the Buccos are not in the cellar....yet anyways
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #448
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Hogan, your Bucco avatar logo looks like Alzado.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #449
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Love View Post
Hogan, your Bucco avatar logo looks like Alzado.
..and so it does. Never really noticed that before..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #450
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Is it just me, or are BoSox/Yankees games really the only thing in sports that compares with Broncos/Raiders games
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote