The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 12:51 AM   #2551
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
Man, all those blown games earlier in the season are coming back to freakin haunt the Rockies. So many leads lost that they should've held on to, especially Fuentes' 4 straight blown saves. Rocks hold on during that stretch and win 2 of those, they are tied for the NL West.
Every team can look back on blown saves that would have given them a handful of additional victories.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 AM   #2552
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

UGH! Don't even get me started about slow starts. The Phils started 3-10 this season. They had a similar start last season and even a worse start in '05. The past 2 season's we missed the WC by exactly 1 game. I hope to God that doesn't happen for the 3rd time in a row.

You can't clinch a playoff berth in April but you can sure as hell cost your team a playoff berth in April!
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #2553
HitEmCold
Gold sucks, I know...now!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Stokley

This is exciting stuff, I watched the whole game using gamecast on my cell phone while I was at work. Can't say I have ever been excited about the Rox this late in the season to do that before.
HitEmCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 AM   #2554
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Right now, the only thing that matters is the game tomorrow. Rockies have to have it. Why? Because the Pads play at Milwaukee next and I think the Pads will lose at least two there. The door opens up for the Rockies, not to just make the playoffs, but to win the fricking Division. Playoff style Baseball. Haven't seen that in Denver for a long time. The Snakes would be tough. But the Rockies are tough too, right now, and the "Friendly Confines" would be rocking.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #2555
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc View Post
Every team can look back on blown saves that would have given them a handful of additional victories.
True, but this is different. You had a guy that was money, blowing four in a single week. It hadn't been done in something like 40 years.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #2556
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Hey, know what? I made an error. The Pads pay the Brewers four in Milwaukee: Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I checked the schedule.

I think the Rockies have a very good chance of getting onto the playoffs and maybe as the Division winner. It all starts tomorrow...... It is very important game, obviously. Since it is a late game, all the important "other games" will be done, and the Rockies will know exactly what needs to happen. They simply must win tomorrows game with the Dudgers.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:06 AM   #2557
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I like the matchup tomorrow of Morales vs. Loaiza.
If the Rockies win out and the Padres go 2-2, the NL West belongs to Colorado
And the really cool thing about that is, the Rockies would most likely have the best record in the NL if they did that. I absolutely love how 0 playoff spots have been clinched in the NL while everything in the AL is virtually decided. Only 4 games to go and 8 teams fighting for 4 spots.
But the Rockies do need to win tomorrow.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:16 AM   #2558
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

How about that sick throw by Tulo. No human can do that.

Also gotta give a high five to Josh Fogg. Number five starter who has chewed up innings all year and has 10 wins. Never a star, but one of those pluggers that are important to the team.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #2559
Crowpointer
Patriots Fan

Bill Belichick-Hingham's finest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
2 to the AL EAST DIVISION TITLE and the team getting healthy GO SOX!
We had a group of 12 go to the game last night from the office. We did some serious damage at Game On before the game on the companys nickel........and I'm feeling it right now.
Crowpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #2560
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowpointer View Post
We had a group of 12 go to the game last night from the office. We did some serious damage at Game On before the game on the companys nickel........and I'm feeling it right now.
Chasers from GNC.....I swear by those things.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #2561
Paladin
Ring of Famer

In Colorado, we take a more sober approach to the game.......
Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #2562
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Well, it's looking as if the Pirates aren't going to help us today. Damn Pirates!

On a brighter (and stranger) note, I just read 3 glowing Rockies-related columns in national publications. I also just read four blogs written by national columnists that stated Troy Tulowitzki and Matt Holliday should be ROY and MVP, respectively.

If you've been a Rockies fan for the last 15 years, you realize how completely bizarre that is.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #2563
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Well, it's looking as if the Pirates aren't going to help us today. Damn Pirates!

On a brighter (and stranger) note, I just read 3 glowing Rockies-related columns in national publications. I also just read four blogs written by national columnists that stated Troy Tulowitzki and Matt Holliday should be ROY and MVP, respectively.

If you've been a Rockies fan for the last 15 years, you realize how completely bizarre that is.

- Someone knows Colorado exists? Wow. Yea, I saw Yahoo yesterday had Tulo as NL ROY.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #2564
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
- Someone knows Colorado exists? Wow. Yea, I saw Yahoo yesterday had Tulo as NL ROY.
Since Braun has a steel mitt and doesn't play the demanding position shortstop is, Tulo has a strong case. Offense sells though and Braun's numbers will get still get him over the top. I envision Tulo drawing 10-12 first place votes of the 32 total and gobbling up all the second place votes that don't go to Braun (1-2 votes from Houston may go to Pence).
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #2565
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
I was thinking the other day - how weird would it be for the Rockies to play their first nationally televised game of the year (probably in the last five years) in the playoffs. I bet that hasn't happened before. But there was no compelling reason for anyone but hardcore fans to watch them until two weeks ago. Sure, they had nice little runs (like the sweep of the Yankees), but nothing like this.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #2566
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

That's why we're still rox fans bro! Hardcore doesn't describe us, gluttons for punishment was a better term until this year!
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #2567
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Great article on the Rox here....

Colorado general manager Dan O'Dowd, one of baseball's more quotable executives, is like a gambler on a hot streak these days. He returns reporters' phone calls strictly out of courtesy and takes pains not to overanalyze his team's magical September run for fear of jinxing it.

Ask O'Dowd about Colorado's leading the major leagues in fielding percentage, or suddenly winning big games on the road, or preparing to send rookie Ubaldo Jimenez to the mound against Arizona with the season potentially on the line Sunday, and he gives the same sanitized reply.
NL WILD CARD
TEAMRECORDGB
San Diego87-71--
Philadelphia86-721.0
Colorado86-721.0
Atlanta83-754.0
NL EAST
TEAMRECORDGB
New York87-71--
Philadelphia86-721.0
NL CENTRAL
TEAMRECORDGB
Chicago83-75--
Milwaukee81-772.0
NL WEST
TEAMRECORDGB
Arizona89-70--
San Diego87-711.5
Colorado86-722.5
For more on the races, see Hunt for October.

"We really don't look past the day we're playing," O'Dowd said. "Nobody does, from the front office to the field. We've kind of figured this out going one day at a time."

The Rockies have figured it out, all right. With a 2-0 victory in Los Angeles on Wednesday night, the team's day-to-day mantra has morphed into a 10-game win streak, and the perception that Colorado is a nice little team building for the future has been amended.

There's just way too much going on in the present.

If you were to pick a team to get wildfire hot down the stretch, Colorado would have ranked down the list. The Rockies haven't made the postseason since 1995. They were the only major league team without a win streak of at least five games in 2005 or 2006. And when Aaron Cook and Jason Hirsh went down with injuries in August, that left Jeff Francis and Josh Fogg as the only April starters left in manager Clint Hurdle's rotation.

After a 10-2 loss to Florida on Sept. 15, the Rockies were fourth in the NL West, 6˝ games behind the first-place Diamondbacks. But they beat the Marlins 13-0 behind rookie starter Franklin Morales in the series finale and proceeded to whip up on the Padres and the reeling Dodgers. Now they're one game out in the wild card and two behind Arizona in the division.

The Rockies lead the National League in September with a .294 team batting average and 145 runs scored. They've committed 65 errors this season, easily the fewest in the majors. And outfielder Matt Holliday and shortstop Troy Tulowitzki continue to make strong cases for the NL Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year awards, respectively. Tulowitzki, a monument to poise at age 22, is hitting .321 with 11 homers and 46 RBIs since the beginning of August.

D-backs vs. Rockies

Fri: B. Webb (17-10) vs. J. Francis (17-8)
Sat: E. Gonzalez (8-3) vs. M. Redman (1-4)
Sun: D. Davis (13-12) vs. U. Jimenez (4-4)
Colorado leads seasons series 8-7

"There were a lot of pieces in place, and he became the piece that pulled it all together," Rockies manager Clint Hurdle told the Denver Post. "He's brought a fire and a passion that is unique."
Tulowitzki sure has a flair for the dramatic. In a 9-7 win Tuesday night, his two-run homer was the difference. In the eighth inning Wednesday, in a game so tight that every out was precious, Tulowitzki ranged deep into the hole and pulled a Derek Jeter special to throw out the Dodgers' Delwyn Young. The play was so breathtaking, several players in the Rockies dugout looked as if they wanted to leap over the railing, run out and high-five Tulowitzki.

Colorado is 38-42 on the road this year, and that record would be better if erstwhile closer Brian Fuentes hadn't blown four straight saves during a 1-9 road trip before the All-Star break. The Rockies entered this season with a 427-677 record outside Denver, and they've historically had more problems on the road than Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman in "Rain Man."
NL GAMES TO WATCH
• Arizona 8, Pittsburgh 0
• Chicago at Florida, 4:05 ET
• Atlanta at Philadelphia, 7:05 ET
• St. Louis at New York, 7:10 ET
• San Diego at Milwaukee, 8:05 ET
• Colorado at Los Angeles, 10:10 ET
For more on today's big games, see Diamond Daily and probables.

The Rockies have one more road game left, with Morales facing Esteban Loaiza on Thursday night at Dodger Stadium. Then it's back to Coors Field for three games this weekend against Arizona.

"People aren't talking enough about this team," said a West Coast scout. "It's unbelievable what they've done."

Even the Rockies aren't saying a whole lot. They're just enjoying the ride, for as long as it lasts.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #2568
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Pads have the Brewers tonight. If they lose, the Rockies need to win. With a great big N. They would be two behind the Snakes and tied with the Pads with a great chance for themselves......

Sorry. Preaching to the choir.....
Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #2569
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Wow, I see the DBacks pushed back Webb's start til tomorrow. He was scheduled to pitch today according to ESPN.
Rockies do need to win though, need to keep it going.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #2570
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

4 more to go!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #2571
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowpointer View Post
Two bottles of Gatoraid before bed.

When do playoff tickets go on sale?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #2572
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

I think I heard they went on sale last Saturday - but haven't seen anything.

Anyone going to any of the games this weekend?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #2573
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

they went on sale on tuesday actually for the divisional playoffs.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #2574
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Mets are losing 3-0 to Cards
Phillies are ahead of Braves 6-3
No score in Malwaukee after 2 with Padres.

Does it feel like every night the Rockies HAVE to win?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #2575
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Padres jump out to 4-0 lead.