The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Default Rockies moving Helton?

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_4881520

While the city of Denver thaws out from the holiday blizzard, there are signs that the Angels' interest in Todd Helton are no longer in deep freeze.

Los Angeles officials inquired about Helton at the winter meetings and were prepared to offer a package of infielder Erick Aybar, first baseman Casey Kotchman and catcher Jeff Mathis. The Angels were reluctant to push the talks forward because of concerns regarding Helton's age, declining productivity and a nagging back injury, according to a source with direct knowledge of the discussions.

However, if the Rockies are willing to eat a substantial amount of the remaining $90.1 million contract owed Helton, particularly down the road when the contract escalates, Anaheim could revisit talks, according to a major league official. The teams have talked since the winter meetings, an indication that the deal, while a longshot, isn't completely dead.

Helton said two weeks ago that he has not requested a trade or been approached about approving a deal to Anaheim. He has veto power over any deal, but acknowledged that the Rockies "want to get rid of my contract." The reason is simple: Helton will earn $16.6 million next season on a projected $55-million cash payroll, one of baseball's smallest payrolls.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

After seeing some of the money thrown around this winter, Helton's contract does not look that bad anymore.

I don't see the point of landing Mathis or Aybar when Tulowitzki and Iannetta are superior players. Kotchman's value is down after a disapointing season in 2006.

If the Rockies talk with the Angels again, the demand should be simple: Brandon Wood or no deal. Howie Kendrick would work, too.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

What's up with Helton's power numbers? I know he had some health/intestinal issues last year, but is he healthy? 15/20 homers from a first baceman?
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...310171,00.html

Helton trade to Boston up in the air
STORY TOOLS
Email this story | Print

RELATED LINKS
Todd Helton profile and career stats
MORE STORIES
Helton trade to Boston up in the air
Peavy apologizes for airport conduct, charge dropped
Minaya to take part in Africa trip
Pirates' Bay, Sanchez not in envy of Utley's contract
New Hall of Famers Ripken, Gwynn share memories at charity event
Nolan Ryan hospitalized, team says he's in good condition
Weaver, Mariners close in on one-year deal for $8,325,000
By Tracy Ringolsby, Rocky Mountain News
January 27, 2007
Todd Helton's future with the Rockies is in limbo.
The Rockies and Boston Red Sox have been discussing trade possibilities involving Helton since November, as reported originally by the Rocky, but have struggled to look for a fit since the Red Sox withdrew outfielder Manny Ramirez from the discussions.

The talks have gone from simmering during the holiday period to heating up in advance of spring training, according to sources close to the situation.

The Rockies are willing to absorb slightly more than half of the $91.1 million that Helton is guaranteed over the final five years of his contract, but in return want to add players they feel will have potential impact.

The key is Helton has complete no-trade authority, and has indicated his preference is to finish his career with the Rockies, which signed him as a first-round draft pick in 1995. The Rockies earlier were talking with the Angels about a trade, but the Angels withdrew from those discussions after learning that Helton would refuse the deal.

Helton has long been described as the cornerstone for the Rockies long-range rebuilding program. He was actually criticized by agents for other players and officials for the Major League Baseball Players Association for underselling himself when he initially signed his nine-year, $141.5 million extension that went into effect in 2003.

Now, however, with Rockies ownership having slashed the Rockies payroll to the point that they have gone from the upper echelon in the league in terms of salary to the bottom five teams, ownership is concerned that his salary is too large a portion of the total payroll.

Boston is one of the few teams Helton would consider, according to sources close to the situation. His preferences would be Atlanta, but the Braves are in a major budget-cutting mode in light of a pending sale of the franchise, and St. Louis, but the Cardinals are set at first base with Albert Pujols.

Boston, in an effort to get rid of contracts it doesn't want, has proposed including third baseman Mike Lowell and right-handed reliever Julian Tavarez in the deal to offset some of Helton's contract. Lowell will earn $9 million in 2007, the final year of his contract. Tavarez is guaranteed $3.1 million in 2007 with a $3.85 million option for 2008 that is guaranteed if he makes 65 appearances in 2007.

The Rockies had a strong interest in Ramirez, anxious to add his bat to the middle of the lineup, and moving Ramirez was an original off-season priority for the Red Sox, who in the midst of the annual winter meetings last month suddenly did an about face.

Lowell and Tavarez could have short-term interest to the Rockies, but only if the Red Sox included top-line pitching prospects in the deal, as well.

The Rockies could play Lowell at third base, moving Garrett Atkins back to first base, his original position in pro ball, with the anticipation that within the next year highly-touted Ian Stewart would be ready to come to the big leagues. That would keep them from having to try and move Stewart to the outfield this spring. Also, Joe Koshansky, who has led the organization in home runs the last two years, is expected to play first base at Triple-A Colorado Springs this season, and could enter the picture if Helton were dealt.

Tavarez would provide a veteran arm for middle relief. He was 11-5 with a 4.42 ERA for the Rockies in 2000 when he bounced between the bullpen and rotation.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

What's the point of trading Helton if you're still eating over half of his contract? Let's pay Helton $45+ million to play for someone else so we can save the other half. I thought this board was harsh on the Monforts, but this story just proves they are cheap ass slimeballs that have no business being involved in ownership.

Unless Manny comes back to Denver in this, it's a rotten deal for the Rockies.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
What's the point of trading Helton if you're still eating over half of his contract? Let's pay Helton $45+ million to play for someone else so we can save the other half. I thought this board was harsh on the Monforts, but this story just proves they are cheap ass slimeballs that have no business being involved in ownership.

Unless Manny comes back to Denver in this, it's a rotten deal for the Rockies.
This comes as no real surprise. The Monforts simply don't want to pay anyone. They flipped Jennings for prospects for that reason. Matt Holliday will be gone before too long for that reason. Possibly Garrett Atkins, too. Moving Helton has nothing to do with anything other than not wanting to pay him the money owed to him. Honestly, does anyone believe that the Monforts are going to take any of that money saved and use it to improve the team?

On a personal note, I'd like to see Helton go to Boston. At least there he'd have a chance to be in a pennant race and play in the postseason. He's spinning his wheels here in Colorado and I'd love to see him get a shot a ring before his career is over.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

If the Mon****s could get away with a team salary of 20 million they would do it.

Why people support their raping by attending games is beyond me.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
If the Mon****s could get away with a team salary of 20 million they would do it.

Why people support their raping by attending games is beyond me.
Exactly. That's why I haven't been to a game in many years.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm not sure it's a bad baseball decision to move Helton. They move Atkins to first, and open up a spot for Ian Stewart to play in the big leagues. That sounds great. The problems I have are:

1) Why do it if you're going to eat half of his salary? The question then becomes, can you get someone as valuable as Helton for half of what he's paid? The answer to that is no. Helton is overpaid, based on his production. But I don't think he's overpaid double, based on the current MLB economy.

2) Mike Lowell? Julian Tavarez? Am I missing something? They have just under $25 million left on their contracts. Throw in eating half of Helton's contract ($91 million), and you end up trading $91 million in contracts for $70 million in contracts. In the process, you are getting rid of the face of your franchise - the only guy your fans have been able to connect with over years of mediocrity. There has to be much more to the story. Rockies ownership/management is stupid, but they couldn't be that stupid. Could they?

3 The bottom line for me is motive. I know what their motive is in doing the deal. It's the same motive they had in doing the Jennings deal. Sure, there are baseball arguments that can be made for doing both deals. But that's not what it comes down to for these clowns. They will argue that they're sound baseball moves, but that is just the end justifying the means. If they could seriously say, "Look, we're doing this deal because we feel we have to resign Holliday, Atkins, and maybe Hawpe. They are our young nucleus, and they are going to need to be paid fairly to stay here. Losing Helton is painful, but it will allow us to keep our younger nucleus in Denver," then I could stomach it. But that's not the plan. They know it. The players know it. We know it. Those guys will be gone as soon as they are able to become free agents, unless they are willing to take a deep "hometown discount." And why would they do that to stay with this organization? With this ownership?

I hate these guys. They are a curse to MLB, and the fans of the Rockies. It is shameful that they are willing to make thousands of fans suffer so that they can keep their cute little hobby in the family.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

please GOD do not make this trade theo. Especially if it includes hansen and delcarmen. or even tavarez for that matter. He provided stellar pitching in a starting role late last year. I dont want to overpriced overhyped OFs.

Oh and lowell is the best defensive thirdbasemen in the league so i dont know what you're questioning dom.

I just know i DONT want this to go down
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I hate these guys. They are a curse to MLB, and the fans of the Rockies. It is shameful that they are willing to make thousands of fans suffer so that they can keep their cute little hobby in the family.
I'm with you. These guys made a mockery of the family business and they are doing the same with the Rockies. There are several groups around town that could buy them, make them competative and still make money. Get a couple of money guys and cut Elway in to be President the public face of the club would be my thought.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:33 AM   #12
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
please GOD do not make this trade theo. Especially if it includes hansen and delcarmen. or even tavarez for that matter. He provided stellar pitching in a starting role late last year. I dont want to overpriced overhyped OFs.

Oh and lowell is the best defensive thirdbasemen in the league so i dont know what you're questioning dom.

I just know i DONT want this to go down
Right. Because Garrett Atkins defense is what kept the Rockies from chasing the pennant last year.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2747254

DENVER -- Colorado Rockies owner Charlie Monfort insists the team isn't looking to dump salary in its talks to trade Todd Helton to the Boston Red Sox.

Monfort said the Red Sox would have to part with pitching prospects in addition to third baseman Mike Lowell and reliever Julian Tavarez, players they've already offered in exchange for the 33-year-old slugger.

"This is Todd Helton we're talking about," Monfort told The Associated Press on Monday. "We're not just going to give him up for nothing."

The Rockies would like to obtain promising relievers Craig Hansen and Manny Delcarmen from Boston.

"Tavarez and Lowell are good, and they'll help us this season, but we need to get something else pretty good in return," Monfort said. "So, we'll see."

Colorado would pay a good chunk of the $90.1 million left on Helton's contract, Monfort said, a deal that includes salaries of $16.6 million in each of the next four seasons, $19.1 million in 2011 and a $4.6 million buyout of a $23 million team option for 2012. The amount the Rockies would pay isn't a sticking point in talks, Monfort said. Rather, it's the players Colorado covets in return for the Rockies' most recognizable player.

Helton has a no-trade clause but is willing to waive it to play in Boston.

Negotiations with Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein were expected to resume later Monday when general manager Dan O'Dowd returned to Denver after attending to a family matter over the weekend.

"I don't see it dragging on. If Dan and Theo can work out the bodies in the next couple of days, it will happen," said Monfort, who would need to sign off on the trade.

Monfort said he expected the deal to get done early in the week or not at all.

"I've been in this business for 15 years and 1 percent of these deals get done. We want to do right by Todd," Monfort said. "We're planning on winning the division and we'd rather do it with Todd."

Although the savings would allow the Rockies to address other areas, Monfort said he's not solely seeking financial flexibility in dangling Helton.

"We're not just looking to save money," he said. "I'd consider it a salary dump if we didn't have anybody there who could play first base, and we do. I'm not saying they're Todd Helton by any means. And they'd have some huge shoes to fill. But we have some guys there, a little bit of a logjam."

If Lowell comes over from Boston, third baseman Garrett Atkins could move to first, although an intriguing possibility is accelerating the arrival of 25-year-old Joe Koshansky, who hit .284 with 31 homers and 109 RBIs at Double-A Tulsa last season.

Monfort said he realizes fans don't want to see Helton and the Rockies part ways, and he doesn't relish that prospect, either.

"It would be so tough to see Todd go. We drafted him. He's a great guy, he has a ranch 15 minutes from my house," Monfort said. "This one is tough. We had Vinny Castilla and Andres Galarraga, but they weren't with us as long as Todd. And Todd's a friend of mine.

"We're not doing cartwheels over here at Coors Field over this, believe me."

Lowell will earn $9 million next season, the final year of his contract. Tavarez is guaranteed $3.1 million next season with a $3.85 million option for 2008 that is guaranteed if he makes 65 appearances.

After averaging 35 homers and 117 RBIs over the previous seven seasons, Helton's numbers dipped in 2005, when he hit .320 with 20 homers and 79 RBIs while he was playing with a bad back. He also made his first career trip to the disabled list with a strained calf.

An intestinal infection sent him to the DL again last May and he never regained his strength, weight or power stroke upon his return, finishing with just 15 homers, a .302 batting average and 81 RBIs.

Helton said recently he had finally gotten back to 210 pounds and that his strength and stamina had returned. The Red Sox were encouraged by his clean bill of health.

While Monfort said tying up 30 percent of the team's projected $55 million payroll this season isn't a good business model, he wouldn't mind seeing a healthy Helton batting cleanup for Colorado in 2007, either.

"We'd love to have Todd here and get to a World Series with Todd in a Rockies uniform and we believe we can get there," Monfort said. "It's not like a couple of years ago when we were just plugging holes. We feel we can win this division and that makes this a little more difficult.

"It seems like the days of someone playing their entire career for one team has gone by the wayside. I saw him retiring as a Rockie. It would be a great story. Some deals get made and some don't. No one is going to be with one team their whole career and not be mentioned in a trade once or twice."
Old 01-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Right. Because Garrett Atkins defense is what kept the Rockies from chasing the pennant last year.
well i more mean, why would the sox trade him after havin youkilis excell at first ad now your going to ask him to move back to third.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

I quite supporting this ownership several years ago. As long as they own my Rockies I will boycott.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #16
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

If the Rockies move Helton, I will not be able to name a single postion player.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Sounds like the Red Sox deal is dead, but there could be other interest
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Yahoo! story on how deal died.

Quote:
After botching talks with the Red Sox, the Rockies will have a, well, rocky relationship with their franchise player. Discussions with Boston started quietly in December, but Colorado believed it could pressure the Red Sox into a trade by leaking the offer. Bad decision. Still, Helton to the Sox makes too much sense; this deal will be revisited.
Talk about stupid. You're dealing with an ownership group that has dealt with very public negotiations basically every year since buying the team and didn't once cave to public pressure. They didn't cave on the ARod deal, they haven't caved in trading Manny, they stood firm with Boras' attempted PR war over Matsuzaka's deal, and even before these national level stories they stood firm in regionally high profile contract talks with Pedro, Nomar, etc..

They don't cave, but leaks make them walk away no matter what. The Rockies might work in a vacuum, unconcerned with the responses of their division rivals, but the AL East is the sports version of the Cold War arms race.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #19
Dukes
Ring of Famer

If only I was a billionaire. I'd put every dime I had into that organization in order to turn them around. What the Monfort's are doing with this team really makes me sick to my stomach. Every year I pray they sell the team to someone who actually WANTS the team to improve, someone who's only interest is not lining their pockets.

Anyways, I'm hoping Helton gets traded to a team that has the chance to win the Series. He's my favorite player, and i'd love to see him make an impact on a winning team.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote