The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default LaRoche/Gonzalez deal

PITTSBURGH -- After more than a month of speculation, the Pirates and Braves agreed in principle on Wednesday to a four-player trade that would send closer Mike Gonzalez to Atlanta for first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.
In addition to LaRoche, the Pirates will receive Minor League outfielder Jamie Romak, with shortstop prospect Brent Lillibridge heading to Atlanta to complete the deal.

Good deal for the Bucs, although I really cringe at losing a prospect like Lillibridge. Romak's stats aren't too shabby though. It give the Bucs the young left handed power hitter they were looking for (should fit nicely in the lineup with Freddie Sanchez & Jason Bay) while the loss of Gonzo can be made up for with Torres or Capps.

Slap, I'd be very interested in your take on this deal......whatcha think?
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Bronco LB 52 will be able to give you a more informed opinion on the minor leaguers involved, but the deal seems to be one that could help both teams.

La Roche had a monster second half and his presence in the lineup will help Bay a lot.

Gonzalez is a nice pickup for the Bravos, who haven't had a decent closer option since Smoltz returned to the rotation.

I guess a lot of it depends on Saloman Torres. He was great for Pittsburgh down the stretch last year and apparently they view him as a viable short term closer option this year. If he can handle the job, it will work out to be a good deal for the Pirates. If Torres falters, its going to cost those young starters some wins.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
Bronco LB 52 will be able to give you a more informed opinion on the minor leaguers involved, but the deal seems to be one that could help both teams.

La Roche had a monster second half and his presence in the lineup will help Bay a lot.

Gonzalez is a nice pickup for the Bravos, who haven't had a decent closer option since Smoltz returned to the rotation.

I guess a lot of it depends on Saloman Torres. He was great for Pittsburgh down the stretch last year and apparently they view him as a viable short term closer option this year. If he can handle the job, it will work out to be a good deal for the Pirates. If Torres falters, its going to cost those young starters some wins.
Lillibridge is one hell of a prospect @ SS.....I do not know much about Romak but his stats appear to be decent.

As for Torres, durability is a question but if he can't hold up then Matt Capps can more than step in (actually I see a bit of a battle for that closers role there).

I'm shocked that the front office actually pulled off a move that makes sense. I was willing to bet the house that they were going to waste what little cash they have on B list FA's for a half year rental yet again. Maybe there was something to swapping Littlefield's & Nutting's titles around afterall. The move has got me looking more forward to ST than usual, hope abounds...for a Pirates fan, that's no mean feat.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Apparently, BP thinks very highly of Lillibridge, and many of the prospect-guys I read seem to think that way as well. Basically, the Braves gave up a replaceable, slightly above average player for a top-shelf reliever and a great 'spect at a position of need.

LaRoche makes sense for Pittsburgh, but to me it looks like Mr. JS wins another one for Atlanta...making two in this offseason (one huge, bend-over-and-take-it-Bill Bavasi trade with Seattle, earlier).
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Apparently, BP thinks very highly of Lillibridge, and many of the prospect-guys I read seem to think that way as well. Basically, the Braves gave up a replaceable, slightly above average player for a top-shelf reliever and a great 'spect at a position of need.

LaRoche makes sense for Pittsburgh, but to me it looks like Mr. JS wins another one for Atlanta...making two in this offseason (one huge, bend-over-and-take-it-Bill Bavasi trade with Seattle, earlier).
Well, I certainly would question the "top-shelf" reliever bit after the close of last season....but it does seem to be to the benefit of both teams here.

I just happy The Pirates didn't include one of the young starters to close the deal...that alone, makes it a victory for Bucco fans everywhere.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Here is an exerpt from Chris Kline of Baseball America about Lillibridge:

"No matter how impressive his 2006 numbers were, Lillibridge's year was also somewhat historic, as he was the only player in the minors to hit over .300, post over a .400 on-base percentage, hit over 10 home runs (13), drive in over 50 runs (71) and steal over 50 bases (53)."

As you can see, he does a lot of things well for a shortstop offensively. Lillibridge was rated as the #3 prospect in the Pirates organization by John Sickels who writes an annual book about prospects. Keep in mind, there are also skeptics who wonder if he'll stay at shortstop since he began his collegiate career as a CF with the Washington Huskies and he committed 30 plus errors last season. The anonymous scout in the Baseball America article said Lillibridge was a "poor man's Brian Roberts" which is an indication he probably has a limited ceiling.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Romak is a big kid at 6-2, 200. The London, Ontario native has some pop and does a solid job of working the count. He probably was within the 20-25 range of the Braves top prospects. He batted only .247 at low-A Rome, but he's only 21 so there's still plenty of time for him to improve.

Pittsburgh GM David Littlefield said Triple-A SS Brian Bixler (ranked as the Pirates #5 prospect by Sickels) played a role in dealing Lillibridge. Bixler batted .302 last season in two minor league stops, but as you can see here, he's nowhere near the offensive player Lillibridge was. He looks more like a career utility guy.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today....php?id=444448
Old 01-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

When I first heard about the trade, the minor leaguers names weren't mentioned and I felt the Pirates got better end of deal. I would rather have an everyday player coming off a 32 HR season than a reliever who hasn't thrown more than 54 innings in season.

For now, I give the Pirates the edge based on the big leaguers swapped, but Lillibridge can swing the deal in the Braves favor.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Well, I certainly would question the "top-shelf" reliever bit after the close of last season....but it does seem to be to the benefit of both teams here.

I just happy The Pirates didn't include one of the young starters to close the deal...that alone, makes it a victory for Bucco fans everywhere.
You're right. Gonzalez has wicked stuff, but his wildness is the downside.

In addition to the Pirates young starters, Andrew McCutchen staying in Pirates hands is a reason to celebrate as well.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Remember LaRoche is the guy diagosed with ADHD. I saw him in AA and he wasnt' that impressive (compared to McCann and Francouer), but he had a monster month after MLB ok'd him for some banned substance to treat his disorder.

I wonder who that'll put at 1b for the braves? Move Chipper over to try and keep him healthy? Or their top prospect is a catcher. Save McCann's knees? He may be the better of their two young power hitters.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
I wonder who that'll put at 1b for the braves? Move Chipper over to try and keep him healthy? Or their top prospect is a catcher. Save McCann's knees? He may be the better of their two young power hitters.
McCann and Chipper will remain where they are for now.

The Braves will enter Spring Training with a 1B platoon of newly acquired Craig Wilson from Pittsburgh and lefty Scott Thorman, who batted .298 with 15 home runs and 48 RBI in 309 plate appearances at Triple-A Richmond last year. Thorman didn't fare as well in his callup with Atlanta, hitting .234 with five home runs and a 701 OPS in 128 at-bats.

Last edited by Bronco LB 59; 01-25-2007 at 02:34 PM..