The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default So...is our defense really bad or?

Looking at what happened to Chicago yesterday and then New England last night im not so sure our defense is really as bad as some might think. I just think that Indy is far superior to many teams as far as offense is concerned. I didnt catch the second half of the Colts/Pats game last night but the Pats still gave up 27 points and usually they have Indy's number defensively. Indy's defense is still just as bad but im wondering if people were coming down to hard on our defense last week. Thoughts?

Last edited by Northman; 11-06-2006 at 03:01 AM..
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

It's not as good as some people think either. Expect to see opposing offenses run a spread offense and pass on us a lot. The Colts and the Steelers have shown that we are vulnerable to it, and if it wasn't for the TO's we probably would have lost.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:59 AM   #3
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
It's not as good as some people think either. Expect to see opposing offenses run a spread offense and pass on us a lot. The Colts and the Steelers have shown that we are vulnerable to it, and if it wasn't for the TO's we probably would have lost.
Well, last year we forced a lot of TO's and still got to the Championship game. So that cant be a bad thing. But you are right, teams are going to look at the Indy blueprint and try to go with that. Problem is, most teams are not like Indy and Pitt proved that yesterday. Had Manning played like Ben yesterday we would have beaten the Colts. I just dont think most teams can get away with playing that flawlessly against us like the Colts did. Will be interesting to see what happens the next few weeks.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 AM   #4
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Well, last year we forced a lot of TO's and still got to the Championship game. So that cant be a bad thing. But you are right, teams are going to look at the Indy blueprint and try to go with that. Problem is, most teams are not like Indy and Pitt proved that yesterday. Had Manning played like Ben yesterday we would have beaten the Colts. I just dont think most teams can get away with playing that flawlessly against us like the Colts did. Will be interesting to see what happens the next few weeks.

Well, I just hope that our D stays healthy. We've lost Brandon so it's going to hurt us against guys like Gonzo, Gates who we play twice. We've got a couple of players banged up like Lynch, Fergy, Gold, Wilson, Warren, DWill so I'm expecting the offense to continue executing like they have and help them out.

Going away to one of the NFL's best defenses and putting up 31 points is huge so we've got some momentum going up against Chokeland this week!
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #5
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

I honestly think warren would of made a huge difference vs indy. so no i dont think our D is that bad plus you got to remember vs pitt, gold fergy brandon and lynch all got hurt

Last edited by OrangeShadow; 11-06-2006 at 04:02 AM..
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:45 AM   #6
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I almost think of our D as when I was younger and played kiddy soccer. The way we were taught to play defense was to just get on the guy with the ball and back pedal until he kicked it too far away from his body and you could just take it the other way. Now, if someone were smart and just stuck to the basics and moved it down the field, I may have back pedaled the whole way.

The INTs all came on long plays, if I recall correctly, and you can never count on fumbles as they're just as dependant on the ball carriers as they are on the hits. So, in my opinion, the Colts laid the blueprint in that if you just rhythmically move down field, you can tear us to pieces. When you try to do too much, that's when we'll bite you.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

I think our D is average
not great like some people thought originally, but just average
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 AM   #8
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

We've only allowed 98 points through 8 games, pretty darn good if you ask me.

I realize the last two games haven't been pretty, but we're still the only team under 100.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
We've only allowed 98 points through 8 games, pretty darn good if you ask me.

I realize the last two games haven't been pretty, but we're still the only team under 100.
they'll improve that this next week too

Oakland has a very bad offense, even with our injuries, we should hold them under 10

I'd even hope for a shutout
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
We forced just about every one of those turnovers
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:47 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Oaklnad also has a very good defense
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #12
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

No we're good, we are not average on defense. There are about 5-6 teams in the NFL that can take advantage of Denvers only weakness on defense, but it is glaring weakness, and any offense that can take advantage of it with efficiency will move the ball very easily against denver.

This team has a poor pass rushing D-line and a Coordinator that is uninspired and uncreative. On the otherhand the defense is well coached in fundamentals and is very athletic and experienced, so both the coaching and the play is a mixed bag.

Best back 7 in football, terrible front four. All in all, I think Denver could stumble into the superbowl and win the whole thing if they play the right teams.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
freak6
Ring of Famer

Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
I honestly think warren would of made a huge difference vs indy. so no i dont think our D is that bad plus you got to remember vs pitt, gold fergy brandon and lynch all got hurt
Warren looked terrible to me yesterday. I saw him hustling, and putting out, but his push was awful.
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:56 AM   #14
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
No we're good, we are not average on defense. There are about 5-6 teams in the NFL that can take advantage of Denvers only weakness on defense, but it is glaring weakness, and any offense that can take advantage of it with efficiency will move the ball very easily against denver.

This team has a poor pass rushing D-line and a Coordinator that is uninspired and uncreative. On the otherhand the defense is well coached in fundamentals and is very athletic and experienced, so both the coaching and the play is a mixed bag.

Best back 7 in football, terrible front four. All in all, I think Denver could stumble into the superbowl and win the whole thing if they play the right teams.
I wouldn't say Coyer is uninspired and uncreative, just unable to make changes during the game. Although some recent quotes have raised the question of whether it's him or the players (not smart enough).
Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #15
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak6 View Post
Warren looked terrible to me yesterday. I saw him hustling, and putting out, but his push was awful.
He was double teamed very frequently, but yes it was obvious he couldn't get his usual push due to his toe. I'd say keep him out this game and let him heal up a bit.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #16
freak6
Ring of Famer

Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK

I checked the stats, Warren had no no tackles, one assist.
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #17
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

They're good. They would be excellent if they improved their tackling. The past 2 weeks the tackling has been atrocious.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #18
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Anyone else think the Faid might be a trap game?
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #19
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Pass rush was spotty for sure, but towards the end of the game they got better which was HUGE!!!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #20
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Lord, here we go again.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #21
defenseman
Ring of Famer

2007 record pred. (7-9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Our defense challenges the opposing offense to play nearly flawlessly each play. If the opposing offense does not, the broncos SHOULD win (that's assuming the offense scores and doesn't turn the ball over). The steelers proved the odds are against an offense being perfect throughout the day so you get turnovers. The defensive coordinator though must make some more adjustments wrt the pass. Two teams in a row have passed very very well overall on the defense. Coyer must fix this, or they will lose two or three more games...especially the damn screen play, way to successful against the bronco defense...dman
defenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:10 AM   #22
HitEmCold
Gold sucks, I know...now!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Stokley

The Linebackers might want to work on recognizing a screen pass, they have been burned repetedly on screens this year.
HitEmCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #23
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitEmColdGold View Post
The Linebackers might want to work on recognizing a screen pass, they have been burned repetedly on screens this year.
Hard to do that when your coach drops you 20 yards downfield because your D-line is so pitiful opposing offenses run deep routes every single down knowning their QB has atleast 6 seconds to throw
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #24
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitEmColdGold View Post
The loss of Gold was a huge factor in Pitt being able to run those screens.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #25
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

When we can pressure the QB we are a top tier defense. When we dont we are very average. Our defensive play revolves around what we do up front. If we cant get pressure then we get picked apart.

Piss poor tackling was mentioned above and should be mentioned again. The last couple games there have been way to many yards givin up because we are trying to knock the sh1t out of someone rather than wrapping them up.

I do think think that givin all the injuries we played a good game and created alot of opportunities.
Elway 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote