The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Pittsburgh Penguins (HOME)

Last edited by Bronx33; 11-04-2006 at 02:34 PM..
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Present
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Malkin the talk of the NHL

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...209377-cp.html
Hmmmmmmm seeing that (lovin it) M from Mcdonalds it it just me or do it see a future endorsement deal for malkin.

Pittsburgh Penguins' Evgeni Malkin, (71) from Russia, is congratulated by his teammates. (CPimages/AP/Kevork Djansezian)

(CP) - Six games, seven goals, four assists. Even Super Mario is impressed with Evgeni Malkin.

"It's quite amazing to see what he's doing the first few games of his career in the NHL," Lemieux said of the Pittsburgh Penguins rookie in an interview with The Canadian Press on Thursday. "We knew he was a great talent but not to that extent.

"From what I've seen so far he's going to be a great player for many years to come," added Lemieux.

The outgoing Penguins owner knows a thing or two about lasting first impressions, scoring his first career goal on his first career shot on his first career shift on Oct. 11, 1984 - 20 months before Malkin was born.

Too bad, says Lemieux. He would have loved a chance to play on a line, in his prime, with Malkin and 19-year-old superstar Sidney Crosby.

"I wish it was 15 years earlier," said the 41-year-old Lemieux. "It's quite amazing to see him play with Sid and see what they're doing now at their age."

Pittsburgh coach Michel Therrien put Malkin, a natural centre, on Crosby's line with winger Colby Armstrong for an Oct. 24 game against New Jersey. It was instant chemistry.

And that despite the fact Crosby and Malkin can't even speak the same language.

"These guys, they see the ice so well," said Lemieux. "That's why they're both world-class players. They don't need to speak on the ice. They see the ice, they see exactly what they want to do, they anticipate the play really well and they read off each other - which is a big key in being successful and being a great player. They both do that very well."

It was in that Oct. 24 game that Malkin truly underscored his arrival, taking a long pass from Crosby and dipsy-doodling through the Devils' defence tandem of Brad Lukowich and Colin White before beating superstar goalie Martin Brodeur with a jaw-dropping, reach-around backhand move.

On hand that night in Pittsburgh was none other than Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

"I'm a Stars and Pens season-ticket holder and have been going to hockey games since I was a kid," Cuban wrote Thursday in his blog. "This was the first time I literally just stood, my jaw dropping in amazement and just shook my head. The most amazing goal I had ever seen."

It was the same kind of reach-around move the right-handed Lemieux perfected during his hey day.

"The move he made on the defenceman coming across and having the presence to go on his backhand and pulling Marty out of the net, that was quite a move," said Lemieux. "But I think the more impressive move was the way he beat that defenceman cutting across and waiting until the last second. It was quite amazing."

Even Lukowich had to admit he was impressed, although he says part of the confusion on the play was a bad line change on his part.

"But he made really what should have been a nothing play into a spectacular play," Lukowich said from East Rutherford, N.J. "He's going to be an exciting player to watch."

The 20-year-old Malkin was named the NHL's rookie of the month for October despite appearing in only five games, his season delayed by a dislocated shoulder sustained in his first pre-season game at Moncton on Sept. 20.

"It is amazing that he can come into this league, miss most of training camp, and then step in in his first six games and score seven goals," Kings defenceman Rob Blake said from Los Angeles.

Blake saw it first-hand Wednesday night as Malkin scored a pair, including the overtime winner, in a 4-3 Penguins win over the Kings.

In doing so, Malkin became the first NHL player in 89 years with goals in each of his first six games.

"His first goal, the puck was on his stick for less than a second," said Blake. "It was a great feed by Crosby and Malkin put the puck where he had to. He didn't hit our goalie in the chest, he put it in the corner where it was supposed to go. Those things you can't teach."

Just like a fan, Blake caught himself wondering what Crosby and Malkin would do next.

"Sitting there on the bench last night, just watching the plays they were attempting to make, it was pretty nice.

"That pairing is very tough to defend," added Blake. "They both have some need to score. They want the puck on their stick every time they're on the ice and they want to score. I don't know if you can teach that. It's a hunger they have. They had chance after chance."

New York Islanders centre Alexei Yashin played with Malkin last year at the Olympics and also faced him Oct. 19 - when Malkin had a goal and an assist in his second career NHL game.

"I've known him for a few years now. He's a complete player," said Yashin. "He's very skilled, he's a great skater, he can pass, he can score, he can shoot. And what's even better for him is that he's playing with Sidney Crosby. Those two guys, with their skill level and talent, can do a lot of damage."

Added Isles head coach Ted Nolan: "We played him his second game and you could tell that kid is going to be the real deal. Hockey fans are going to be treated watching him and Crosby do some magical things over the next few years."

The Devils have already faced the duo twice this season.

"You can just tell with those two, they look at each other, they're excited to play with each other," said Lukowich. "They're looking to set each other up and they also don't want to let each other down. They're going to be a tough duo to play against for quite some time."

Veteran defenceman Adam Foote of the Columbus Blue Jackets faced Malkin on Oct. 21 and understood right away how hard it is to defend him.

"With guys like that, talented players who are big and strong on the puck, you have to take their percentages away," said Foote. "If you overplay them, like when you overplayed Lemieux, you get in trouble. I think he's the real deal."

So far fellow Russian star Alexander Ovechkin is looking good on the prediction he made while accepting the Calder Trophy last June in Vancouver.

"I think next year Evgeni will win rookie of the year," Ovechkin said at the time, adding that he was somewhat jealous of the 1-2 punch the Penguins would have.

"They're both unbelievable players and Pittsburgh is very lucky they have both Crosby and Malkin."

Cuban echoed that though in his blog.

"You may or may not be an NHL fan, but if you are a fan of greatness in the making, watch the Pens," Cuban wrote. "Crosby and Malkin? They will not only remind Pens and NHL fans of Mario and Jaromir Jagr, but could have them wondering whether watching them play together is what watching Mario and Gretzky playing together would have been like."

Last edited by Bronx33; 11-04-2006 at 01:51 PM..
Old 11-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Penguins-Sharks 10:30 PM EST

Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have led the Pittsburgh Penguins to their longest winning streak in nearly five years.

Now, the young duo tries to help Pittsburgh earn a road victory over the San Jose Sharks for the first time in over nine years when the teams meet on Saturday.

The Penguins (7-3-0) extended their win streak to five games Wednesday as Malkin scored his second goal of the contest in overtime of a 4-3 victory at Los Angeles. Pittsburgh hasn't won six in a row since Jan. 17-26, 2002.

The 20-year-old Russian's first-period goal made him the first NHL player in 89 years to score in each of his first six games.

"Malkin's contribution has been huge and I feel pretty fortunate to play with him," said the 19-year-old Crosby, who assisted on both of Malkin's goals and added another on Noah Welch's tying goal in the third period.

Crosby and Malkin have combined for 13 goals and 29 points this season, and along with fellow youngsters Jordan Staal and Marc-Andre Fleury, are a big part of Pittsburgh's strong start.

Staal, who scored his fifth goal Wednesday, turned 18 in September while 21-year-old goalie Fleury has started each game during the win streak.

Pittsburgh has won all four of its road games this season, but is facing a Sharks team that has five victories and a tie in the last six matchups between these clubs in San Jose. The Penguins haven't won there since a 5-2 victory on Oct. 22, 1997.

San Jose (9-5-0) is coming off a 3-1 home loss to the New York Rangers on Thursday, its third defeat in five games after dropping just two of its first nine contests.

The Sharks, whose 22 power-play goals make up more than half their goals this season, failed to convert with the man advantage for the first time in six games Thursday.

"Our power play wasn't clicking, but that's no excuse," said defenseman Kyle McLaren, who scored the team's lone goal with less than three minutes left in the game. "We're relying on our power play too much. We need to score 5-on-5 goals."

San Jose outshot New York 30-19, but forward Joe Thornton said the Sharks weren't ready to play.

"We didn't come game-prepared," said Thornton, who failed to record a point for the sixth time this season. "We got a lot of shots, just not a lot of quality shots. We may have taken them a little lightly, having played last night. It's tough going into the locker room after playing like that."

Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov likely won't start against the Penguins with coach Ron Wilson alternating between him and Vesa Toskala in net. Toskala, who has been in goal for six of San Jose's wins this season, has never faced the Penguins.

This is the first meeting between these teams since the Sharks won 4-2 at home on Feb. 27, 2004.

RECENT 5 GAMES
DATE RESULT DATE RESULT
Nov 1, 2006 PIT 4 @ LAK 3
Oct 28, 2006 PIT 8 @ PHI 2
Oct 24, 2006 NJD 2 @ PIT 4
Oct 21, 2006 CBJ 3 @ PIT 5
Oct 19, 2006 PIT 4 @ NYI 3

Nov 2, 2006 NYR 3 @ SJS 1
Oct 31, 2006 SJS 2 @ FLA 1
Oct 29, 2006 SJS 4 @ TBL 2
Oct 26, 2006 SJS 3 @ NSH 4
Oct 25, 2006 SJS 1 @ DET 2

NEXT 5 GAMES
DATE DATE
Nov 4, 2006 PIT @ SJS
Nov 6, 2006 PIT @ ANA
Nov 8, 2006 TBL @ PIT
Nov 10, 2006 OTT @ PIT
Nov 11, 2006 PIT @ CAR

Nov 4, 2006 PIT @ SJS
Nov 7, 2006 MIN @ SJS
Nov 9, 2006 SJS @ LAK
Nov 11, 2006 SJS @ PHX
Nov 13, 2006 SJS @ LAK

PIT Schedule SJS Schedule

TEAM COMPARISON
2006-2007 Team Stats
14 Points: 18
7 Wins: 9
1 ShutOuts: 3
2 Power Play Rank: 1
13 Penalty Kill Rank: 8
1.000 Win % When Leading After 1: .778
1.000 Win % When Leading After 2: .778
.000 Win % When Trailing After 1: .250
.500 Win % When Trailing After 2: .250

TEAM LEADERS

GOALS: E. MALKIN 7 M. MICHALEK 7
ASSISTS: S. CROSBY 12 J. THORNTON 13
+/-: S. CROSBY 8 M. CARLE 4
OT GOALS: E. MALKIN 1 C. BROWN 1
Old 11-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Gametime!

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Cheechoo ejected for the boarding hit on Eaton.

Good.

Stop making excuses, stupid homer SJ announcers.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Noah Welch playing physical tonight.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Cheechoo ejected for the boarding hit on Eaton.

Good.

Stop making excuses, stupid homer SJ announcers.
The comical thing about that was watching Crosby try to play the tough guy role.

Stick to scoring goals, Sidney.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Malkin with a great job of drawing that hook.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
The comical thing about that was watching Crosby try to play the tough guy role.

Stick to scoring goals, Sidney.
Eh...he's not a very big guy, but im glad he's feisty.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Do the Pens still have that color commentator who openly encourages Pittsburgh players to take dives? I've heard him do it more than once, I'd have thought that someone would have told him to cut that out.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Eh...he's not a very big guy, but im glad he's feisty.
I understand why he did it, but come on, Crosby weighs 165 pounds soaking wet with rocks in his pockets. His inexperience showed as it looked like he was trying to steal Cheechoo's jersey.

Still, he was taking up for a teammate, can't find fault with that.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Do the Pens still have that color commentator who openly encourages Pittsburgh players to take dives? I've heard him do it more than once, I'd have thought that someone would have told him to cut that out.
I think you are talking about Bob Errey and yes, he is still the color commentator for FSN Pittsburgh.

I don't care for him much, or for Steigerwald, the play by play guy, who is really boring. I wish Mike Lange was still on TV.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Nice save, Flower.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

These teams are feeling feisty tonight.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #16
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
I think you are talking about Bob Errey and yes, he is still the color commentator for FSN Pittsburgh.

I don't care for him much, or for Steigerwald, the play by play guy, who is really boring. I wish Mike Lange was still on TV.

Ex NHLer Bob Errey ? if so i hated that fag, why because he was a redwing.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Great job, Jordan.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #18
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Ex NHLer Bob Errey ? if so i hated that fag, why because he was a redwing.
Yeah, he played for the Wings in the latter half of his career, but he was a longtime Penguin.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Flower playing much better then in the game against LA.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Yeah, he played for the Wings in the latter half of his career, but he was a longtime Penguin.

Not the point! he was a redwing (end of story)
Old 11-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Goaltender interference on Grier wipes out the SJ goal.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #22
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Not the point! he was a redwing (end of story)
Well...today is your lucky day. Errey is coming up at the intermission.

I guess the SJ announcers will be interviewing him.

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #23
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Well...today is your lucky day. Errey is coming up at the intermission.

I guess the SJ announcers will be interviewing him.

Yep iam lucky..................i don't have to watch it.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #24
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Damn Flower...no rebound control...1-0 SJ

Go Canes!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #25
SoCalBronco
Nixonite