The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Default OT - Bruins' Patrice Bergeron - UPDATED - GOOD NEWS!

The Boston Bruins' Patrice Bergeron was just "boarded" by a Flyer behind the Bruins net.

He hit the boards face first and his neck sprung back. He fell to the ice as lifeless as I have ever seen. They are just now taking him off the ice on a stretcher, but there is no movement.

Talk about an eerie silence.

Pray for him - this looks as bad as what happened to the Buffalo Bills a few weeks ago. This does not look good at this time.

Watch for the play on TV later.

Last edited by PatsWin2002; 10-27-2007 at 07:14 PM..
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I read on HFBoards that there was a little bit of movement in one of his legs while the brawl was going on after the hit.

Haven't seen the hit, someone needs to get it up on YouTube.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Not good at all....Patty Bergeron is a very good young player and I hope he is ok.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Some are speculating he may have just been knocked unconscious. It was eerie watching the other players getting involved after the cheap hit with Bergeron laying there lifeless.

No vid links I can find as of yet.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Scarey stuff
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
PatsWin2002
Giggity

ESPN has a story on it now:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3082644

The updates continue to roll in here:
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s/bruins_blog/
Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

October 27, 2007
Bergeron at Mass. General
By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff
Patrice Bergeron, injured in the first period, is being treated at Massachusetts General Hospital by Dr. Bert Zarins.

According to the Bruins, Bergeron lost consciousness after the hit. No other update was available.

Posted By: fshinzawa | Time: 05:23:55 PM
Old 10-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Just seen it on ESPN, not good at all, i really hope hes ok.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAEetam6HQ
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

I'm getting Travis Roy flashbacks. Hopefully Bergeron doesn't suffer the same devastating injury.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
PatsWin2002
Giggity

October 27, 2007
Jones issues statement

From Randy Jones:
"Words really can't express the way that I feel right now. I am very apologetic for the hit and what I did. It was not intentional. It is something that I have never done before and it is not part of my character. I am extremely sorry. I hope he does OK and everything works out for him. I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery."

There is no update on Patrice Bergeron's condition.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsWin2002 View Post
October 27, 2007
Jones issues statement

From Randy Jones:
"Words really can't express the way that I feel right now. I am very apologetic for the hit and what I did. It was not intentional. It is something that I have never done before and it is not part of my character. I am extremely sorry. I hope he does OK and everything works out for him. I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery."

There is no update on Patrice Bergeron's condition.
It's hard to give a Flyer the benefit of the doubt in light of the recent dirty play from Philadelphia players, but I agree with Jones. I think he was trying to hit a guy along the boards and take him off the puck. He didn't try to hurt Bergeron.

This is not in the same league as Todd Bertuzzi or Marty McSorely.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #13
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Good News!

October 27, 2007
Bergeron update
Patrice Bergeron has been diagnosed with a concussion and a broken nose.

Initial X-rays and a CT scan have not shown serious injury to his head or neck, and he has full feeling and motion in all extremities.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #14
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

i saw the hit once and i dont want to see it again.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #16
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

holy crap! thank god for the good news after what happened.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #17
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Great news that he is doing better. Broken nose and a concussion is like getting your presents on X-Mas after what was going through my mind when I saw it live. I didn't think he was going to die but a broken neck was certainly crossing my mind.

Pats, I understand the emotion that you felt and me defending Jones will only seem homerish right now but, Jones is not a dirty player. In fact, he is not a physical type player at all. He is known more for his offensive skill as a defenseman. It was just one of those plays where Jones, as a defenseman, was trying to take the player away from the puck. It happens in an instant. The Boston player and Jones were pretty much going full speed to the puck. Jones's job is to stop the Boston player from moving the puck. When the Boston player threw on the breaks, Jones could not stop. He leaned in and took the body. Scary, very scary, but there is no way to stop there.
Yes, I will sound like a homer but, Jones really isn't that way.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #18
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Great news that he is doing better. Broken nose and a concussion is like getting your presents on X-Mas after what was going through my mind when I saw it live. I didn't think he was going to die but a broken neck was certainly crossing my mind.

Pats, I understand the emotion that you felt and me defending Jones will only seem homerish right now but, Jones is not a dirty player. In fact, he is not a physical type player at all. He is known more for his offensive skill as a defenseman. It was just one of those plays where Jones, as a defenseman, was trying to take the player away from the puck. It happens in an instant. The Boston player and Jones were pretty much going full speed to the puck. Jones's job is to stop the Boston player from moving the puck. When the Boston player threw on the breaks, Jones could not stop. He leaned in and took the body. Scary, very scary, but there is no way to stop there.
Yes, I will sound like a homer but, Jones really isn't that way.

You might be surprised, but mostly I am hearing things like "it was illegal, yes...but not dirty....they were both going for the puck...there was no intent to injure on Jones' part.

I agree with that after what I saw.

Yeah, there are some folks up in arms that seem to be more excited that they have something to crusade for rather than seeing the whole thing for what it was. Those people should just be thankful that this one looked as bad as we've ever seen and ended as good as we could have hoped.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #19
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsWin2002 View Post
You might be surprised, but mostly I am hearing things like "it was illegal, yes...but not dirty....they were both going for the puck...there was no intent to injure on Jones' part.

I agree with that after what I saw.

Yeah, there are some folks up in arms that seem to be more excited that they have something to crusade for rather than seeing the whole thing for what it was. Those people should just be thankful that this one looked as bad as we've ever seen and ended as good as we could have hoped.
Illegal? No doubt. I agree with only a minor 2 minutes though too. It may sound wierd but, if Bergeron was 2 more feet away from the boards, it would/should have been a 5 minute major. When a player is right up against the boards, it's not as devestating if he gets hit from behind. If he is 3-4 feet from the boards and gets hit like that, that is where it can be devestating because he is gonna launch head first into the boards with zero control.
I think everyone did the right thing in this situation. The refs made the right call and the "B"s players did the right thing by immediately jumping Jones.

It's ashame what happened but with guys skating 25 mph and with how physical and big the players are, these things will happen from time to time. I am just happy that Bergeron looks like will be okay.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Patrice Bergeron held a press conference today

Link

"If you see a number, if you see the back of a player, just don't hit," Bergeron said.

Bergeron said he wanted to send that message not just to kids, but to the NHL and his fellow players.

"We need to realize, and think about the consequences when you go for a hit like that," Bergeron said. "Hitting is part of the game, but not from behind.
Related Info

* Habs in Boston to face Bruins
* Bergeron Speaks

"Throughout the league, as players, we need to respect each other a little bit more. I think something maybe needs to be done.

Bergeron was injured on a hit from behind by Philadelphia's Randy Jones on October 27 and has not played since. He suffered a Grade 3 concussion and a broken nose on the play.

Jones was suspended two games for the hit. Bergeron noted that Jones had left an apologetic message for him after the incident.

"I'm not here to say bad things about Randy Jones," Bergeron said. "It's more about trying to change things and make sure it's not going to happen to anyone else."

Making his first public appearance since suffering the injury, Bergeron was wearing a neck brace. Although he said he feels better than he did a week ago, Bergeron said there was no time-table for his return.

"I'd be lying if I said I was feeling good right now," Bergeron said.

Bergeron still gets dizzy if he walks more than about 200 feet and said he still can't do all the every day things he used to be able to do.

"No one would like to be in my position right now. At the same time, I'm actually walking - it could be worse."
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #21
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

oh yes poor poor bergeron, gimmie a break so its ok to hit but not to be hit

and then to go on and make a statment like that afterwards, id like to sit him down and make him watch the video of his from behind hit, which apparently was ok, and dont gimmie that crap about there being a crack down, the new crack down is on hits to the head, which by rule are still legal so i dunno what the hell the nhl is cracking down on. Hitting from behind has always been against the rules yet this time it was a flyer so hes gotta be suspended.

Listen to the Don, he knows what he speaks about
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #22
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

The Don is a circus clown boob IMO........

Part of what came next -- a game misconduct and eventual two-game suspension for Jones -- was rather predictable. What was less so, however, was the reaction of a number of league observers, most prominently the CBC's Don Cherry, who asserted Bergeron was as much at fault for his injuries as Jones.

Cherry's position was pretty simple, and something we've heard before from "old school" students of the game: That Bergeron should have known better than to turn his back to his opponent, and that anybody who goes near the boards to dig out the puck needs to keep his head on a swivel to avoid getting throttled.

Considering that Cherry's comments came in between periods on Hockey Night in Canada while Bergeron was still in the hospital, it can't be much of a surprise that Boston GM Peter Chiarelli felt he had to come out swinging.

"I want to express our anger and dismay at these outlets north of the border," Chiarelli told Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe. "And I'm from north of the border. I know what happens. They pick up these things and it becomes a consensus. I want to make sure they see our point of view, Patrice's point of view, his family's point of view. Patrice had nephews watching that game who thought he was dead."

Chiarelli was also sure to point out that had Bergeron gone into the corner any other way, he would have been dinged for being afraid.

"This is a sport where you assume a lot of risk," Chiarelli told Shinzawa. "But you don't assume you're going to be driven from behind like that."

It appears there are more than a few fans who agree with Chiarelli. Picking up on an idea first floated by Sports Illustrated's Michael Farber a little less than two weeks before the Jones hit, one YouTube user got into a spirited and extended exchange with a group of Philadelphia fans over whether the Flyers organization as a whole deserved to be punished not only over the Jones incident, but for previous transgressions involving Jesse Boulerice and Steve Downey.

For me, the question is pretty simple: If you want to eliminate hits from behind, then start fining and suspending players like you mean it. By slapping Jones on the wrist with a mere two-game suspension, the league is sending the sort of signal that, in another context, would wind up resulting in a four-car pileup.

Link

Last edited by Bronx33; 11-09-2007 at 05:28 PM..
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #23
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

where was all this outrage here

sorry but when something that youve done before is done to you and you start crying its pathetic, dont get me wrong i didnt wanna see bergeron get hurt, but its not like he hasnt done the exact same thing to other people, i didnt see him speaking about all this respect and not making the hit when he did it. hes nothing but a hypocrite, and i have no respect for him.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #24
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Everyone is getting their panties in a bunch here. It's HOCKEY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! These type of hits are gonna happen in a sport where you have a fraction of a second to react. The mind might tell you to stop but when you are skating and momentum is taking you in one direction you don't have time to pull up.

All the non-Flyer fans here need to settle down. This isn't McSorely swining his stick and smashing Brashear in the head. This isnt Bertuzzi jumping someone from behind. It's not Dale Hunter checking a defenseless Turgeon after a goal and it's not Ulfy sucker punching someone from behind in the crease. It's a play that happens and will continue to happen in the heat of battle. I gotta beleive there isn't 1 player in the NHL that would intentionally try to break another players neck by slamming them from behind into the boards.
Everyone stop the b!tching and moaning.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #25
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

mark messier speaks

''Just like a boxer is instructed before a fight, protect yourself at all times,'' Messier said during an interview under the colourful stained glass panels high above him in the room in the hockey shrine where his plaque will be placed.

''I would never have left myself in a vulnerable position and left it to chance that someone is going to do the right thing.''

Recent rules applications to thwart obstruction have created a mentality that is inducing some players to believe they can finesse their way out of any situation ''and because of that we're seeing some injuries'' - as in guys getting creamed against the boards.