The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #826
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc View Post
Francois Gigeure better do something spectacular this offseason. He was a seller in a seller's market and only ended up with Scott Parker and Michael Wall. Why not bring back Francois Leroux, as well? Outside of drafting Paul Stastny and signing Andrew Brunnette, Avalanche management has been a disaster since the new CBA was signed.

thanks again Lacrock!...heck, they've been pretty bad since the Drury trade
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #827
Jori
US Olympian

The Avs pretty much stood pat. I didn't expect them to go into full selling mode like LA and Phoenix, but I thought they'd move one of Klee/Vaananen and perhaps Arnason. The Parker trade was a waste. Yet, he deserves to be GM of the Year for getting anything for that bum May.

In regards to the rest of the league. I was totally shocked by the Oilers dealing Smyth. I thought all along he would get signed. Can't laugh at Charles Wang any more (okay the 15 year deal for DiPietro is still rediculous), Snow has done a wonderful job. How he got Smyth without having to giving up Kyle Okposo is beyond me.

WTF was Detroit thinking? You have one playoff choker in Datsyuk and yet you add another in Bertuzzi? I'll give them credit for not giving up much, but it's not enough to keep up with what other Western Conference clubs added. However, if Hasek can stay healthy, it could be enough.

Love what the Sharks did. Not a huge Guerin fan, but what they gave up was tame in comparison to what the Thrashers overpaid for Cementhead. Good luck Bob Hartley!

So Brad May's the answer eh Dr. Burke?

Kings and Yotes did well as sellers.

It was different looking at the trade deadline this year knowing no big moves were coming for the Avs. Not thrilled with Giguere, but I enjoyed all the activity by other NHL clubs nonetheless.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #828
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

It wasn't much to give up for Parker. I'm in the camp that thinks the Avs need to get tougher, so I'm fine with the Parker trade....even finer with May being reunited with Burke.

This was quite the hectic trade deadline.

Oh and I was shocked to hear about Smyth too, Jori. I thought for sure they would re-sign him. I'm sure the Oil fans are loving that.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #829
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Cripes! The Oil can't hold on to anyone.

Smyth would look great wearing an Avs sweater next season.

Mattias Norstrom sent to Dallas.

The oil are retarded.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #830
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Thank god may is gone and gig knew he was worthless iam kinda glad to see el diablo back on our side though.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #831
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

The Blues' Front Office personnel have to be considered one of the best in the league.

Brad Boyes for a dime-a-dozen defender in Dennis Wideman and Geurin for a for a first-round draft pick in 2007, forward Ville Nieminen and prospect Jay Barriball?? Not to mention the great trade they pulled to ship out Tkachuk?

Jesus...

Last edited by Killericon; 02-27-2007 at 07:18 PM..
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #832
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

The Avalanche needed to get tougher, yes, but Parker can't stay healthy and can't keep up with today's faster NHL.

Why Arnason and Vaananen are still on the team is beyond me. I guess they'll be re-signed this offseason. I don't think either one is a good completmentary player on a championship-calibre team. One has consistency/motivation problems and the other can't stay out of the penalty box and has no upside.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #833
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Looking at michael walls brief stats i noticed that he allowed all his goals on the PP (not ES) i know it's not alot to go on but i was just lookin. Also the kid is 6'2" and 204lbs and how can you go wrong with a goalie named wall? or hes a short term trade piece down the road.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #834
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Buttttttttt HF gives him this grade (D)

D - Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings - a player who has a chance to reach his potential but is unlikely to do so. The potential rating is multiplied by 70 percent for depth chart purposes, indicating that the player’s potential is extremely fluid.

But to be fair they haven't updated since (Profile Last Updated: November, 18th 2006)
Old 02-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #835
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Hey SoCal, how bout gettin' Laraque? There's some tough for your team.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #836
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Hey SoCal, how bout gettin' Laraque? There's some tough for your team.
Eh...I dont really believe in the whole concept of getting an enforcer. People will take runs at our stars regardless. Laraque can't prevent any of that from occuring. Sure he could go after them after the fact but if Crosby already got hurt from someone taking a shot at him, the fact that Laraque "makes them pay" after the fact doesnt magically cure Sid of whatever injury he sustained. Plus, we already have guys who can do that on the team anyway, like Orpik for example.

I hated the trade of Noah Welch for Gary Roberts. That was well beyond idiotic. I hated the trade of Dominic Moore to Minnesota for a 3rd.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #837
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Eh...I dont really believe in the whole concept of getting an enforcer. People will take runs at our stars regardless. Laraque can't prevent any of that from occuring. Sure he could go after them after the fact but if Crosby already got hurt from someone taking a shot at him, the fact that Laraque "makes them pay" after the fact doesnt magically cure Sid of whatever injury he sustained. Plus, we already have guys who can do that on the team anyway, like Orpik for example.

I hated the trade of Noah Welch for Gary Roberts. That was well beyond idiotic. I hated the trade of Dominic Moore to Minnesota for a 3rd.
I disagree. Of course puds like Sean Avery will take runs at your star players, but having a guy like Laraque on the roster certainly does serve as a deterrent. Not only that, but he can play. Georges has 22 points (5g...17a) this year. He was a great pick up for the Pens.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 PM   #838
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

So to sum it all up, trade deadline day didn't go well for you? I thought the Laraque one was a good deal. I think it makes guys think twice about even going after your stars if they know Laraque is around. He's a big tough mofo.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #839
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Buttttttttt HF gives him this grade (D)

D - Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings - a player who has a chance to reach his potential but is unlikely to do so. The potential rating is multiplied by 70 percent for depth chart purposes, indicating that the player’s potential is extremely fluid.

But to be fair they haven't updated since (Profile Last Updated: November, 18th 2006)
HF once rated Milan Hejduk as a 2 out of 10. Needless to say, it's not an exact science.

I think the Avs actions today were more about trying to restore a bit of good will with the fans than anything else. They know the season is pretty much over, so rather than try to salvage picks/prospects (which is the route I'd have preferred), they're trying to salvage some good tidings from the fanbase.

Seriously, look at it. They jettison an unpopular player in Brad May (who never should have been here to begin with) and bring back Scott Parker, who was fairly popular in his first go 'round with the Avs.

Neither move will make a whit of difference in the standings, but I'll bet they're hoping that today's events will start to lessen the disdain that some of the locals have been feeling towards the team since the inexplicable Brady May signing.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 AM   #840
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
HF once rated Milan Hejduk as a 2 out of 10. Needless to say, it's not an exact science.

I think the Avs actions today were more about trying to restore a bit of good will with the fans than anything else. They know the season is pretty much over, so rather than try to salvage picks/prospects (which is the route I'd have preferred), they're trying to salvage some good tidings from the fanbase.

Seriously, look at it. They jettison an unpopular player in Brad May (who never should have been here to begin with) and bring back Scott Parker, who was fairly popular in his first go 'round with the Avs.

Neither move will make a whit of difference in the standings, but I'll bet they're hoping that today's events will start to lessen the disdain that some of the locals have been feeling towards the team since the inexplicable Brady May signing.
Not only that...but I think we're assuming that anyone wanted players such as Ossi, and Arnason. I am very much not a Vaananen fan. He doesn't have much of an edge to his game that I've EVER seen, and he doesn't score. It was probably Lacroix's worst trade when he brought him in. I understood that Morris wasn't going to be the next Rob Blake, but they threw in Ballard to pick up Chris Gratton. Probably the softest big man in the NHL...and that's including Kurt Sauer. Why would anyone give up anything for Ossi V.?

Tyler Arnason? Talk about a guy who's never been the player he's supposed to have been. He's played hard for the Avs and turned in a respectable season. Hardly a sexy player come the deadline.

There were rumors that Liles and Hedjuk were being shopped, and I was relieved when neither of those guys were moved. Along with Lappy they were the only two guys the Avs could have traded that had any real value. Liles was recently in Q's doghouse, but apparently EVERYONE not named Sakic, Pronger, Turgeon, MacInnis...etc...gets a turn. Liles is fine young defenseman, and Hedjuk is simply having a tough year...although he's turned it around lately. Players do get snake bit...as it were.

I'm fine with the Avs standing pat...they weren't going to fix their problems through trades. And I also thought they had a fine draft this past year. You look at the players they have offensively, and they're right there. Their problems lie on the blue line and in not having their forwards committed to defense.

They're not that far away from being contenders.

But whatever.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #841
Muddled
Seasoned Veteran

passing through

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Foxworth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFFLZQsT2AI

Man, I still get irate watching that
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #842
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

This is just odd...

Short story i was at a game with roy in net i had great tickets for this playoff game sitting right behind him as i watch the oil cycle the puck and work it out to the point i watched ryan smyth take his stick and tug on the knob of roys stick lifting it off the ice (and the oil scored) well if i remember i think that goal got them going to eliminate us.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #843
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Sakic wants to stay in Denver

Superstar Joe Sakic has made it clear he hopes and expects to remain with Colorado for the rest of his NHL career, reports the Denver Post.

There were rumblings on Tuesday's trade deadline that suggested the Avs might consider moving him as a rental player.

"I want to finish here," he told the paper. "This is my organization, the one I grew up in, and we're at home. This is home now."

Sakic, who will become an unrestricted free agent this summer, prefers to sign one-year contracts so he can re-evaluate his play annually.

"I want to be able to decide at the end of the year if I want to keep going," he said. "I just want to have that leeway. Obviously, right now, I'm going to play next season. I've felt great this year.

"Next year, you never know, you could get an injury or something, and you're not playing at the level you want to play at. And you don't want to be stuck, or have the team stuck. So for me, it's a case of me being happy and content with going a year at a time and deciding."

According to the Post, Avs GM Francois Giguere hopes to begin talks with Sakic's agent, Don Baizley.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #844
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Sid the Kid Shoots Back

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/colum...bernstein.html

(LOS ANGELES, CA) -- Let's scroll back to early October 2006. As the 2006-07 season was commencing, if you'd ask ten hockey people who they'd prefer on their team, Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin, nine would have told you the Russian winger.

Indeed, Ovechkin was the new poster boy for the NHL with his massive rookie season, easily outdistancing Crosby in a landslide vote for Rookie of the Year. His highlight reel goals, his appearance at the NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver and willingness to do every interview made Alex everyone's darling.

If you had asked me then who I'd want to start a franchise, I would have said him, too.

Now, I'm not so sure.

For those of you hiding under a rock since the New Year, Sidney Crosby has led the Pittsburgh Penguins on a massive run over the last twenty games.

Once struggling to get into the final eight in the Eastern Conference, the Pens are within waddling distance of the New Jersey Devils for the lead in the Atlantic Division and sit in the fourth position overall in the East.

With all the impossible hype surrounding him last season, Crosby still fashioned a 100-point season (39G, 63A), but was an afterthought with Ovechkin's campaign. As the Penguins entered this season, the spotlight was on another Russian rookie, Evgeni Malkin, whose European vacation to get to the NHL was headline news in the summer.

And while Malkin has put up predictably strong numbers, he's not the reason that the Penguins have won 13 of their last 16 games.

Yes, Mark Recchi is ageless, Jordan Stall is tracking for 30+ goals and Marc Andre Fleury is maturing into an NHL goalie, but Crosby has put up numbers at the tender age of 19 in terms of the man he was originally compared to, Wayne Gretzky. Crosby has a 15 point lead over Vincent LeCavalier in the scoring race and barring injury, will come in over 130 points in his sophomore season, which would be the highest point total for any scoring leader since Mario Lemieux tallied 161 in 1996.

Ovechkin, still a virtuoso, remains in the top ten in scoring and is still the most dynamic player to watch for my money. But when you consider the Washington Capitals are sitting fourteen out of fifteen in the East, perhaps it's time to re-examine who the more valuable player is.

The Capitals' roster, especially the defense, has junior varsity written all over it, but they do have some depth along the forward wall (Alexander Semin, Dainius Zubrus, Chris Clark) and a veteran goaltender in Olaf Kolzig, so there's a bit of talent to carry on Ovechkin's broad shoulders. But because his mentality is to shoot first, ask questions later, he's less likely to make the players around him better.

To use an NBA analogy, Ovechkin is like Kobe Bryant, the best player in the game, while Crosby's NBA persona is Steve Nash, the league's MVP.

And his opponents will agree...

"Sidney's a real weapon, but they spread [their offence] out," said Toronto Maple Leafs forward Boyd Devereaux. "You certainly can't pay all your attention to Sidney, because other guys will step it up."

Crosby concurs: "It's important," he said of having a second line to pick up the slack. "We're not going to win if we don't have it. Everyone's got to contribute, especially with the way hockey is now, it's so tight."

Hey Sid, maybe it's not really THAT tight with a 130+ point season on track.

Crosby's detractors could tell you that with Ovechkin's presence on the Pittsburgh roster, he'd have them in first place in the Atlantic. Maybe yes, maybe no, but probably not; but when you think about choosing between the two, it's like asking if you'd rather date Jessica Simpson or Denise Richards, either way you win.

NETTING MVP'S

While Crosby's stats combined with the Pens' improvement make him an odds-on choice for the Hart Trophy at this point, my other two candidates for the honor are evidence that the game, with all the rule changes, hasn't really changed that much.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #845
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default The NHL's Disturbed Cross Promotion

Who knew the NHL had an "Artist of the Month" promotion? We're not talking about honouring the NHL player to have pulled off the most "artistic" deke or save in the past month - the honour is bestowed on a musical artist.

Today the NHL named Disturbed, a hard rock/metal band out of Chicago the NHL Artist of the Month for February. Last month's honouree was Robert Randolph & the Family Band, a funk group that performed at the All Star game in Dallas.

The league is desperately attempting to reach out to new audiences, but it seems like a huge stretch to imagine this kind of cross-promotion selling more tickets or growing the sport.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #846
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default NBC's Hull takes shots at NHL coverage

Brett Hull knows NBC touted him as hockey's version of TNT's Charles Barkley in basketball or its own Cris Collinsworth for football when it hired him in December: candid, outspoken, controversial.

Be careful what you wish for. The sharpshooting Hull criticized his network's coverage Tuesday, saying he's not getting enough airtime with NHL on NBC studio colleagues Bill Clement and Ray Ferraro.

What Hull wants is for NBC to launch a hockey version of the network's one-hour pregame football show, Football Night in America, with Bob Costas, Jerome Bettis and Collinsworth. Instead, during a typical 2 1/2-hour game telecast, Hull and Co. get about 10 minutes before the game, then a few minutes between the first and second periods, to comment.

"You need to have some sort of pregame or postgame show so we can sit down and talk about the trade deadline — or the Buffalo-Ottawa (brawl)," Hull says. "I have a lot to say. But in 20 seconds, you have to be some sort of English lit professor to do it with any style or bravado."

Hull does a live, half-hour pregame show for NBCSports.com. The trio will get more TV airtime during the Stanley Cup playoffs, when NBC adds an extra half-hour of coverage, spokesman Brian Walker says.

"We're going to continue to explore ways to get Brett as much airtime as possible within our time constraints. His opinionated analysis is great for our broadcasts and the sport of hockey," Walker says.

Hull is also fed up with the NHL's new cable partner, Versus, and ex-partner ESPN. "People don't even know that we're on. That's a huge problem," he says about Versus. ESPN basically dropped coverage of hockey once it dropped the sport, he says. Hockey analyst Barry Melrose gets virtually no screen time, even though the NHL's trading deadline was Tuesday.

Says Hull: "We're at the mercy of Versus, NBC, ESPN, CBS. Unless two of them want to show hockey, the NHL is screwed."
Old 03-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #847
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Brett Hull is a real dick, but I loved that he got on tv today and applauded fighting. He's right about the points he made today.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #848
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Q&A: Sakic's seen it all

http://www.nbcsports.com/nhl/1159841/detail.html

When you ask someone to name who they believe the top ten scorers are in National Hockey League history, you'll definitely hear the names Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe. Perhaps that person will not realize, however, that the Colorado Avalanche's Joe Sakic is now number 10 on that list and almost certainly will crack the top five once his career is through.

The captain of the franchise ever since their days as the Quebec Nordiques, Sakic's career is somewhat similar to fellow cener Ron Francis in that they quietly and professionally went about their business and amassed tremendous inidividual achievements along with Stanley Cups while making those around them better with their playmaking.

These days, Sakic's Avalanche are not the perennial powerhouse they once were, and are in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since arriving in Denver back in 1995-96. But whenever the team rebounds, be it next season or the season after, chances are Sakic will still be leading the club in scoring like he is now at 37 -- though he is an unrestricted free agent at seasons's end. As of March 2, Sakic is 11th in the NHL in scoring with 27 goals and 49 assists.

Q: Where are the Avs right now in your mind?

Colorado Avalanche center Joe SakicDavid Zalubowski/AP PhotosJoe Sakic has shown no sign of slowing down at age 37.
A: We've played pretty decent in the last little while, we've won a few games in a row, but obviously we're in a spot where we have to win an awful lot of games. So we're just looking to win every game and get some help [from other teams].

Q: In your mind, has the rivalry with Detroit simmered down a bit with so many players from the apex of that rivalry moved or retired? Do you feel there a legacy to the rivalry that both teams seem to want to uphold?

A: Definitely the rival is not what it once was. There are not too many guys on either team that are still here from those years, and it's pretty tough to maintain that rivalry when eveybody's either on other teams or retired. Hockey-wise, the games have always been exciting and the game's been like that the past couple of years, but I think what we had for about six years, you have to be a part of it. You can't just come in and all of a sudden think you're part of it. It was an unbelievable rivarly to be a part of. Now I think the two teams have more of a respect for each other, rather than back then when it was not only a lot of respect, but a lot of dislike [laughs].

Q: Talk about the young offensive talent this team has developed around you. Many have said Paul Stastny is good enough to sort of pick up the baton from you one day.

A: Yes, we've got a lot of great young players here, and you just see the confidence building every day with these guys. And Paul has been incredible for us this year. I don't think anyone expected him to take off as quick as he did, but when you watch him play, just the hockey sense and smarts he has makes him such a great hockey player. He knows where to be at all times and you can see a lot of his dad [Hall of Famer Peter Stastny] in him in the way he plays.
OVERTIME

Joe Sakic

1. Everybody should listen to ... Pass!

2. If I were commissioner, I'd ... for me, get rid of the shootout, but the game itself is going in the right direction

3. NHL enforcer I want in my corner ... Tony Twist

4. Last non-hockey sporting event you attended ... Dallas Cowboys-Indianpolis Colts game

5. Other than self, who takes the critical shootout attempt ... Mario Lemieux

6. Non-hockey athlete who could be a hockey player... Larry Walker (MLB OF)

7. Music or meditation before a big game ... Music

8. Build a team starting with talent, guts or work ethic ... Talent

9. Cheesy song that I love ... Pass again!

Q: You've been able to skate with so many different players. Who have you had the most fun and chemistry with, be it Avalanche or national teams?

A: Gosh, there's been so many great players that have come through here. I think on our team, Peter Forsberg would have to be a the top of the list. He's the best there is when he's going, and we had a lot of fun when we played together. On the Canadian Olympic team, I always have had a great chemistry with Jarome Iginla. He's real easy to play with.

Q: You've quietly entered the Top-10 all time scorers. Though relishing in individual accomplishments does not seem to be your style, do you sometimes pinch yourself in knowing your name is soon to be between others like Esposito, Bourque, Yzerman and Lemieux on that list?

A: I don't know about pinching, but I don't think I ever imagined at the end of the day having numbers like those guys. Obviously, it's a honor to mentioned in anything with those guys, but really over the course of the year, and you're getting to these milestones, you don't really have time to think about it. You just play and get ready for the next game, but I'm sure at the end of my career, I'll look back and probably still won't believe I'm mentioned among those guys.

Q: Your favorite Stanley Cup win and why: '96 in your first season in Colorado or '01 when you handed the Cup first to Ray Bourque?

A: I don't know if you really have a favorite, but if you're forcing me to choose here, but probably the '96 one since it was my first. Both were incredible. It's a childhood dream to play in the NHL and win a Stanley Cup and to lift it up for the first time, there's nothing like it. Handing it to Ray Bourque first in '01 for me was the right thing to do, for what he's done for the game. And to come over to Colorado and really want to sign for another year to have another chance, I mean he's just a great, class guy and [handing it to him first] was just something I wanted to do.

Q: You are among a number of kids drafted in 1987 that are still around, including the top three picks in the draft. Why do you suppose many have such a long career in hockey despite all it's hazards than in many other sports?

A: You know, we've actually thought about this. I would think, yes the physical part is still there, but the skating is a lot easier on your body than running. A lot of other sports involve running and that's hard on your knees, whereas skating is not. That's the only thing that I can think of, but other than that I have no idea!

Q: Your best advice for staying in shape as one gets older?

A: The best thing is, at the end of the year, I don't think you can take that much time off [from a phyiscal regimen]. Whatever you have, you have to try to keep. But really, stretching and doing your off-ice stuff, doing weights over the course of the year to maintain your strength.

Q: Being a child of Croatian immigrants and knowing the language, do you teach your children any of it? And what is a Croatian meal everyone should try?

A: Honestly, I don't remember too much of the language anymore. I did pick up bits and pieces, but I lost most of it. But as far as the meals go, you've got to have Croatian sausages and cabbage rolls.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #849
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Wild goalie Backstrom to start against Bruins on Thursday

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Heres to hoping backstrom starts to fold under the extra work load.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -Niklas Backstrom will be the starting goalie when the Minnesota Wild play at Boston on Thursday night, coach Jacques Lemaire said.

Backstrom, who is 9-3-2 since original starter Manny Fernandez initially sprained his knee on Jan. 20, was removed after allowing three goals in two periods of the Wild's 3-0 loss to San Jose on Tuesday. Fernandez played the third, his first appearance since Jan. 30.

After Wednesday's practice, Lemaire smiled when asked if he wants to give Fernandez a start during this two-game road trip to Boston and Buffalo.

"Maybe. We'll see," Lemaire said.

Fernandez, who stopped the only two shots he faced against the Sharks, declined comment Wednesday.

Josh Harding, who was brought up from the Wild's top minor-league affiliate, the Houston Aeros, when Fernandez was hurt, will remain on Minnesota's roster for the rest of the season as insurance.

"You never know what's going to happen in this game," Lemaire said.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #850
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avs Stastny ties NHL rookie record

Ok ok ok iam getting a stastny jersey...

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny extended his point streak to 17 games Wednesday night, tying the NHL rookie record with a first-period assist against Buffalo.

Sneaking up the left wing, Stastny made a nifty move to elude two Sabres defenders. He went around the net to set up Milan Hejduk's one-timer from the right circle 10 minutes into the game. The short-handed goal lifted the Avalanche into a 1-1 tie with the Sabres.

Stastny, who has eight goals and 24 points during the streak, tied the rookie mark set in 1993 by Winnipeg's Teemu Selanne.

Stastny also set the franchise rookie record, breaking the 16-game mark set by his father, Peter, in 1980 with the then-Quebec Nordiques.

The 17-game streak is the longest in the NHL this season, and the best run since Ottawa's Dany Heatley had a point in 22 consecutive games from Oct. 5 to Nov. 29, 2005.