The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 02:11 AM   #701
Jori
US Olympian

If George Parros can fetch a second rounder, there's probably some team out there dumb enough to give up a first for Avery.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #702
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Man, if that conspiracy theory about Stern is true, the man really should run for president.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #703
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
What? You don't want to see P.J. Stock giving you hockey analysis and having games from just 10 east coast teams on only twice a week?

I need to bust out the old MT mock-like letter to OLN.
Do it! That was a classic. They probably printed it out and framed it. Oh wait, that was the one you didn't send....but you should have.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #704
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
If George Parros can fetch a second rounder, there's probably some team out there dumb enough to give up a first for Avery.
Touche.

Wasn't the Ducks trading for Parros a result of Burke's knee jerk reaction to Boogaard running J.S. Giguere?
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #705
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Touche.

Wasn't the Ducks trading for Parros a result of Burke's knee jerk reaction to Boogaard running J.S. Giguere?
Yup. There are stupid/desperate GMs out there....afterall somebody wanted Jose Theodore around the trade deadline last year
Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #706
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default JMFJ interview!

this is a rather long awaited and promised interview with Jack, which was conducted by his buddy who has become a rather recurring visitor to the Kings board on Hockey's Future since Johnson was acquired from Carolina.

this is a draft, and he's indicated that the final interview will be placed on his personal site shortly.

Quote:
The Long Awaited Jack Johnson Interview

I called Jack and asked for permission to post this interview on this forum. Here it is, at last!:

Justin Spiro: What are your thoughts on Michigan’s season thus far?

Jack Johnson: So far, first half season didn’t go as well as we wanted or expected. Since Christmas, things have been rolling in the right direction and our season could still be a success. It is too early to make any ultimate determinations, but I feel good about this team’s chances.

JS: On a more individual level: Rate your performance this season? Have you met your own personal standards?

JJ: My standards are higher than anybody else’s are for me, and it is tough to ever be satisfied. I concern myself with my contribution to the team. Did we win the game and did I contribute to that win? These are my primary concerns.

JS: Has your time at Michigan moved you any closer to a decision regarding your future? Will you be leaving Ann Arbor soon?

JJ: My time in Ann Arbor has been everything I wanted it to be. I haven’t given the future a whole lot of thought. I have some very important things ahead of me hockey wise, not to mention school. It is completely cliché, but I am going to take things one step at a time. When the time comes, I will decide what I am going to do.

JS: Recent draftee Erik Johnson has drawn rave reviews. Many scouts have stacked you against him and have come to varying conclusions as to who will be the better player. What is your opinion of the other Johnson?

JJ: I have played with him twice, and he is absolutely phenomenal. He is an even better person than he is player. I am very fond of him, he was an excellent defensive partner. There is no question in my mind that he is going to have a great career.

JS: Assuming you do eventually sign with the Kings, how excited are you at the prospect of living and playing in Los Angeles?

JJ: I truly hope that I do have the privilege of playing for Los Angeles. They would be demanding wins, and I expect to be a part of delivering them. I am thrilled that I may have an opportunity to play there.

JS: Have you watched any Kings games this season? What are your impressions of the team?

JJ: Whenever they are on TV, I enjoy watching the Kings. They are very young and talented. My perception is that they will be among the NHL’s best within a couple of years, and the potential is far greater than the standings would let on.

JS: Which current Kings player would you be most excited to play with?

JJ: If I got the chance to play with Rob Blake, that would top my list. He is a Hall of Fame defenseman that has won it all. Just one hell of a defenseman, and certainly as good as it gets.

JS: In Los Angeles, a fan based message board has given you the nickname “Jack Mother ******* Johnson”. Do you like the new moniker?

JJ: I appreciate it, I think! I don’t know if it is a nickname that will stick, for obvious reasons, but it is one of the better names I’ve had. Maybe they can abbreviate it to “JMFJ” to avoid any conflicts.

JS: What has been the greatest benefit of resisting Carolina’s efforts to sign you right out of high school? In hindsight, was going to the University of Michigan a wise decision?

JJ: Yes, I don’t regret going to UM one bit. I always wanted to do it while growing up, and it is something I will always look back on. So many wonderful athletes have played at this university. Going to class with All-American football players, the greatness of Yost… what an experience.

Carolina would have been great, but I am definitely looking forward to performing in front of the Kings and a fan base that I perceive to be among the finest in the game.

JS: Did it hurt when the Hurricanes traded you away?

JJ: No, it wasn’t personal at all. We obviously weren’t on the same page, and they didn’t agree with my decision. It was my decision to make, and I knew some people wouldn’t agree. It was my choice, and I was going to do what I thought was best for my development. It was a business move, and I absolutely respect the Hurricanes organization decision to move me.

JS: Will you be playing with a chip on your shoulder?

JJ: I always play with a chip on my shoulder, so that is almost irrelevant. Still, I want to let people know that I can hold my own on the ice. If I get the opportunity to play, I will show everybody that I can perform. I certainly won’t hold anything back.

JS: What defines a successful NHL career? Stanley Cups, numerous All-Star Game appearances? What must you do to satisfy your personal standard of success whenever you do make the jump?

JJ: I think people view successful careers differently. I think you have to be recognized as a winner. The biggest thing is that Stanley Cup. The individual accolades are nice, but a championship is the most important.

I would much rather be considered a champion than a great player. That said, the goal is to combine the two. I don’t plan to settle for just one.

JS: What number do you intend to wear in your post-collegiate career?

JJ: I’ve worn number 3 in college, but I am not sure if I want to carry that over. It was my father’s number, and I would like to create my own identity. Aaron Miller already has it, anyway. I am still in college, but I am guessing a great way to make friends would be not to stroll into the locker room and request a current player’s number.

JS: Hypothetical: Your close friend Sidney Crosby is dashing toward the net. You’re all that stands between him and a breakaway goal. Who wins the battle, and would you hesitate to level him with a clean hit?

JJ: Who wins? That is tough. Back when we were high school teammates, we pushed each other and it was always a fierce competition.

In that situation, I am going to do everything I possibly can to keep him from scoring. He wouldn’t let up on me in the least bit, so you can bet I will do anything to stop him. We’re friends off the ice, but on it there is no mercy. If I had to take him out (legally), I would do it.

He is probably the best player in the world right now, so I would have my hands full.

JS: Throughout your Michigan career, you have been criticized (and thunderously booed in Canada) for what people perceive to be "dirty" play. Do you relish playing the role of villain?

JJ: Yes, it is great. Most people that boo me would love to have me on their team, I am guessing. I absolutely relish it, and even laugh at it most of the time. I can’t imagine paying money for a seat just to insult a player the whole game. I find as much entertainment in it as anybody.

JS: Are you at all concerned about the reception you’ll receive during road games in Canada?

JJ: Concerned? Absolutely not. I told a friend the other day that I would be extremely disappointed if I showed up in the arena and I wasn’t booed. Being hated by the opposing team’s fans is at least as much of a compliment as being loved by your own. I look forward to getting booed, and I hope our friends up north are willing to oblige.

JS: Thank you very much for your time, and best of luck to you as the season progresses.

JJ: My pleasure. Go Blue!

The interviewer is also saying Jack Mother****ing Johnson WILL be a King in the next couple of months, to bank on it.

Quote:
By the way, he still wears that Dodger cap all around campus.

The Kings sent him 4 jerseys (2 home, 2 away) with "06" as the number and with his name on the back. I guess he said they were draft jerseys.

2 of the jerseys are hanging in his living room, right next to a framed quote from Peter Karmanos (that I am not allowed to repeat).

You guys are weeks away from witnessing an immensely talented player with a HUGE chip on his shoulder. I am excited both for my best friend and for you as a fan base. Jack can't wait to play for your team.

Quote:
There is no "hoping" for anything.

He WILL be an LA King in less than 2 months. Take it to the bank. Bet your friends, give them odds.

Last edited by 24champ; 01-30-2007 at 08:11 PM..
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #707
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Hey 24Champ...what do you think of the job Andy Murray has done in STL so far. I always hated his personality, but thought he was a good coach...especially in his early couple of years with the Kings. He had them as a team to contend with. Losing Deader really hurt the franchise...he was playing up to his potential in LA...being a main option. He was my favorite Av before the trade, and I laughed like a bastard when he scored the goal that knocked the wings out of the 2001 playoffs.

Under Murray...the Kings were formidable in those playoffs. They simply lost to a better Avs teams in a ferociously played 7 game series. Quite a coaching job...as I'm sure the game was a bit more intense in LA than coaching at a prep school.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:54 AM   #708
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Hey 24Champ...what do you think of the job Andy Murray has done in STL so far. I always hated his personality, but thought he was a good coach...
He is doing a great job in STL obviously. Personally I think his style of play is too conservative for my liking but Im glad he is doing a good job because now they have a dilemma of whether to buy or sell at the trade deadline since they are in reach of the playoffs. Could drive up the asking price for one of our players, who knows? As for Murray's personality, he was very cool and approachable to all Kings fans. He loved talking with the fans.

Quote:
He had them as a team to contend with. Losing Deader really hurt the franchise...he was playing up to his potential in LA...being a main option. He was my favorite Av before the trade, and I laughed like a bastard when he scored the goal that knocked the wings out of the 2001 playoffs.
I thought our potential was to go farther than say...2 rounds but you know we hit the injury bug very hard during some of those Murray years. Your right about Deadmarsh, kind of put the brakes on the franchise so to speak.

Quote:
Under Murray...the Kings were formidable in those playoffs. They simply lost to a better Avs teams in a ferociously played 7 game series. Quite a coaching job...as I'm sure the game was a bit more intense in LA than coaching at a prep school.
What ultimately led to his firing and the gutting of the entire franchise was the fact we were number 2 or 3 at the halfway point of last year in the Western Conference and dropped completely out of the playoffs. The problem was Murray couldn't do anything to save the season or make the playoffs. The fans got sick of the patch-up jobs we seemed to do ever since AEG owned the franchise. So they pretty much gutted the franchise (When I say gutted they fired everyone from scouts to the equipment manager) and put in a whole new organization which is now run by Lombardi and his crew. Im patient with Lombardi seeing that this is the first year and takes time to get things running the way you want it to.Same applies for Crawdad. I suspect in 2-3 years we will be cup contenders. (Yes I am serious.)
Old 02-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #709
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Nathan Horton wants out of Florida?

Panthers winger Nathan Horton is apparently unhappy with the team and wants out of Florida, according to the Palm Beach Post.
Horton, 21, is set to become a restricted free agent this summer and the Post claims the Panthers could face problems re-signing him.

Horton's Boston-based agent, Paul Krapelka, said Horton's dissatisfaction stems mostly from the team's inability to build a winner.

"He's frustrated at not winning, like everybody else down there," Krapelka told the paper. "The unhappiness is a matter of frustration with the team.

"He may wear it on his sleeve more than other guys. But at no time have we ever asked he be traded."

Horton and Bobby Orr, who heads the agency Krapelka works for, met with Panthers coach and GM Jacques Martin two weeks ago to discuss Horton's situation.

According to the Post, Krapelka is believed to be attempting to orchestrate an offer sheet from another team that the Panthers could be unwilling to match. Martin had not heard of such a report.

Horton has recorded 15 goals and 23 assists for 38 points in 52 games so far this season with the Panthers.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #710
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Is it time to move this thread to the main board? I always forget to check the subforums after the main board switches to anything-goes mode.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #711
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Capitals make a great deal for Jucina. I think traded Boston their 4th round pick.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:42 AM   #712
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

That was an important two points to have lost. Damnit.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 AM   #713
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Capitals make a great deal for Jucina. I think traded Boston their 4th round pick.
Not even this year's 4th, but their 4th in '08.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #714
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Not even this year's 4th, but their 4th in '08.
Niiiice. Though Jucina is projected to be a top 4-6 d-man, plus he is still young. Either way its a very low risk trade for the capitals. For the Bruins I have no idea why they did this? Doesnt clear alot of cap space that they need.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #715
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

The Kings deal Sean Avery to the Rangers. They didn't get the first round pick they were allegedly asking for though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2755356
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #716
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Yep, I saw that one. Were the Rangers one of the teams that were rumored in the mix for him? Or was I just completely caught off guard?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #717
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

So, who else gets shipped out of L.A.?

Last edited by Killericon; 02-06-2007 at 12:22 AM..
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:18 AM   #718
Jori
US Olympian

Not a first round pick, but Cliche is a decent prospect. It's a good trade for both teams imo.

Aaron Miller's name has come up a lot. He's even been linked to Colorado, but I see both Miller and Sopel on other teams by the deadline.

As for the Avs, they pretty much have to win 2/3rds of their remaining games to make the playoffs. I'm at the point as to where I'd like them to move Vaananen and Klee and bring up Cumiskey and Boychuk for the rest of the season. I think Klee could fetch a third round pick. A team like Nashville or San Jose may be interested. Both have young bluelines and an experienced vet like Klee would be a vaulable depth player. Some guys like Stuart are going to be overpriced, Klee is a nice bargain and he's having a good year for the Avs. Vaananen is still young, but he's a UFA and I'm not convinced he's in the Avs future plans.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:25 AM   #719
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Sean Avery and the New York media.

Oy vey.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #720
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
The Kings deal Sean Avery to the Rangers. They didn't get the first round pick they were allegedly asking for though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2755356

So the sean avery captain experiment failed? (go figure) these are the same guys that thought cloutier can play goalie as well, and why would the kings think hes worth a first rounder? how fitting he goes off to NY to die like so many others did rangers= NHL bone yard.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #721
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Liles, May 'really close'

CENTENNIAL - The Avalanche might soon get the boost it needs as it tries to make a playoff run.

Defenseman John-Michael Liles, who has missed the past 11 games, and forward Brad May, who was injured during the preseason, could return to the lineup as soon as tonight's game against the Florida Panthers at the Pepsi Center (7, Altitude).

Liles broke his left foot Jan. 6 against Minnesota; May underwent reconstructive surgery on a right shoulder Sept. 28 after being injured during an exhibition game.

Both practiced Monday and a final decision will be made this morning whether they will play against the Panthers.

"They are both really close," coach Joel Quenneville said. "There is a chance they could play (tonight). We'll visit with that (this) morning."

Quenneville believes the players' return might have a positive impact on their teammates.

"May hasn't played all year, so it will certainly be exciting for him and our team to see him back playing," Quenneville said. "Johnny is an important part of our team, and he really helps our power play and our offense. So his return will certainly spark our team, too."

Liles, who has scored 17 of his 29 points on the power play, is eager to have his name erased from the injured reserve list.

"I tried it last week and was doing OK, and then I started to get into the heavy stuff and it is one of those things where it is either good enough or it's not," he said. "Last week, it wasn't good enough. (Monday) was my first day back on the ice in four days, so we'll see.

"Even if we were on a six- or seven-game winning streak, I'd be anxious to get in there. With the circumstances of us being in a playoff race, it makes you want to get back in there even sooner. But the training staff, coaching staff and everybody has agreed we have to make sure that it's good enough to play on and not something where I have to leave in the middle of the game or take more time off."

May, a hard-working, gritty forward, was skating on the fourth line during practice.

"I feel like I can play, I feel like I'm ready," he said. "I was healthy when I got hurt, so you are never protected against getting hurt. I'm certainly not afraid of that.

"There's no question I'm starting to feel pretty healthy. I feel (the shoulder), but I'll probably feel it for the rest of the year, anyway. I can't wait to be able to come back and do my best to contribute.

"It's going to be an awfully exciting finish for us, especially when we make the playoffs. . . . I just want to be a part of that."

The Avalanche has lost four of five and has fallen into 10th place in the Western Conference. The Avalanche is eight points behind Minnesota, which holds the eighth and final playoff position. The Avalanche was only four points behind the Wild before a 5-3 loss Thursday against Minnesota.

"You look at the standings, and every team has a purpose behind every single game and we need to get back in that race," Quenneville said. "It seems like we were there going into the Minnesota game. There's a little gap now, and it creates added urgency to the importance of our games."

Panthers at Avalanche

• When: 7 tonight.

• Where: Pepsi Center.

• TV/radio: Altitude. KKFN-AM (950).
Old 02-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #722
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Wings Talk Trade Deadline

Ohhhh this would be amusing from a fan standpoint...

NEW YORK -- With the NHL trade deadline ticking down to three weeks, the question for the Red Wings is: Deal or no deal?

Pre-salary cap, the Wings often were among the league's biggest buyers. Now, the deadline is earlier, which means fewer teams are out of the running, and everyone must operate within a $44-million budget.

Advertisement
Last season, the Wings barely made a ripple in acquiring defenseman Cory Cross. This season, general manager Ken Holland is looking to make bigger waves. Even though the Wings' 4-3 victory over the Rangers Monday tied them for second overall in the NHL, they could benefit by adding a top-six forward.

But so could a lot of other teams, and that's why the weeks leading up to Feb. 27 are so engrossing.

"It is going to be interesting, just because of how early the trade deadline is and how many teams think they have a chance to get into the playoffs," Kirk Maltby said. "I think it's not going to be like that last-day thing where you see a hundred trades all at once. I think the last week -- week-and-a-half, whatever -- is going to be done within that time frame."

Chris Chelios pointed out that among the names being mentioned are St. Louis' Bill Guerin and Keith Tkachuk and Philadelphia's Peter Forsberg. The Wings are interested in Forsberg, and the fact that he used to play for Colorado hardly matters. "I would take him in a heartbeat," Chelios said.

Maltby, part of the Detroit-Colorado rivalry during its heyday in the mid-to-late-1990s, said the only two he could never picture in Detroit were Claude Lemieux and Patrick Roy. What about Forsberg?

"It'd be weird, but a guy like that, you'd obviously love to have on your team," Maltby said. "He's all-world. Trust me, if Peter Forsberg is knocking on your door and you have an opportunity to get him, you don't turn that kind of opportunity down."

Forsberg, when healthy, is as clutch as they come and exactly the sort of playoff performer that could help put a team over the top. In the four seasons since the Wings won their last Stanley Cup, they've won one playoff series, and having Forsberg on the bench would help.

"If we can do something without affecting the chemistry of our team," Chelios said, "that'd be great."

NOTEBOOK: Jiri Hudler scored his ninth goal Monday, showing his typical efficiency for a guy who averages 8:33 minutes per game and played just 4:26 against the Rangers. "Huds has that ability just to score -- he's one of these guys that the puck goes in the net for," coach Mike Babcock said. "He gets more goals per minutes played than anybody in the National Hockey League." Hudler's goal, set up by Valtteri Filppula, came 2:31 into the third period and began Detroit's rally. Hudler scored into an empty net from the right side of the crease. "I knew Fill was going to pass to me. I shoot wide, and their D kick it right back to me," Hudler said. "Couldn't miss that one."
Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #723
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I've read that a time or two and it would be horrible. Horrible.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #724
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
I've read that a time or two and it would be horrible. Horrible.

I knew you wouldn't like it..
Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #725
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

It would be worse than this strep throat my son kindly shared with me, and that is pretty ****ty.