The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #476
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

The Ducks have called up a goaltender from the minors with no reported injury to either of their current netminders. After the slew of moves Burke made not long ago, one has to wonder if the Ducks are primed to make another trade.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #477
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

i know nabakov veto'd going to the yotes......
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #478
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
i know nabakov veto'd going to the yotes......
Can't say I blame him, that team's a mess.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:47 PM   #479
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

yeah but if they get the G situation solved, i think they are fine to be honest, they got lots of talent.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #480
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

From Eklund...

Liles, Liles Crocodile, Hitch, Budaj, and the Forsberg Speculation

Today @ 2:16 PM ET | Comments (123)

According to several sources last night and this morning the Avs are entertaining offers for John-Michael Liles. Liles, who did score a big goal last night, has fallen off a bit this season and whenever a solid young d-man (see Seabrook) falls off, the rumor mill is opened for business.

The Rangers (e2), Canucks (e2), Oilers (e3), and Flyers (e3) are said to be part of this one with one source claiming that he had heard through a source out west that the Flyers and Avs came "as close as you can come" to completing a trade. Apparently that trade fell through in the last 48 hours, but the door isn’t shut. And I have also heard that Pete Budaj could be included should that trade escalate.

Talking to a source this morning, (not in the Flyers organization) I was told, "There is a growing rumor around the league that the Flyers are holding out on a big deal that would bring a new starting goalie to Philly. We have seen what Emery has meant to the Sens turn around, and in Philly the feeling may be, 'We can't trade all the players, we can't change the coach or GM, so the only major move to fix the personality may be to change the goalie."

Watching the Flyers as much as I do, I really felt for a long time that goaltending wasn't the problem. However, recently I will not say the goalies are playing poorly, but I will say they aren't making the key saves. The momentum saves aren't happening. You don't always need a goalie to stand on his head for 60 minutes, but you do need a goalie to make the save on a two on one right after you have scored a goal to bring it within 1.

From what I hear the chances that Hitch is behind the Blue Jackets bench in Philadelphia on Friday isn’t impossible, but I wouldn’t call it at all likely. The Jackets are being extremely thorough in this process, and walking all possible candidates through the process. Andy Murray is going through that currently. There is also word that a third candidate may be brought in as well, Kevin Dineen. A source told me he believed there to be five names on the list, but not all five may get interviewed. I have also heard another candidate may have been talk to in preparation.

The other thing that needs to happen before a coach can take the helm is a contract needs to be negotiated. What that means is that Hitch, if chosen, could probably happen a bit quicker since he is currently under a contract that needs to be honored. The Jackets would either negotiate some sort of settlement with the Flyers or take on that contract. Likely the latter I would think.

There continue to be rumors that The Flyers may deal Peter Forrsberg to San Jose or Colorado in the near future . Although I would never say never, I really don't see it happening in the near future for several reasons. First off, Forsberg is really suffering as he tries to get used to these new skates. His body language in the room last night showed tons of frustration. He also sat out practice today with a legitimate lower back injury that he suffered on a hit thrown by Orpik. I think right now the chances would be better that Peter would just sit out and try to get better and then decide whether he will continue his career than it is likely that another team would give something substantial for him in a deal. Quite simply, Peter is the reason that Flyers fans come out right now. If they do deal him, it would have to be for another reason to come out, and if you're the Sharks or Avs that would be a very big gamble right now.

The Flyers want him around. They love him in this organization. They want him to get to get better and re-sign.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=3770

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:08 AM   #481
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
The Ducks have called up a goaltender from the minors with no reported injury to either of their current netminders. After the slew of moves Burke made not long ago, one has to wonder if the Ducks are primed to make another trade.

The 22 year old is only here for two days according to the interview i heard between periods. Keep your panties on. Unles Ilya is still pissed about being pulled last week, we will still have two good goalies. Avs will see Giguere on Wednesday.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #482
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

RE: SoCal's article/rumor.

Liles and Budaj? Oh God no. Take Jose please! I honestly feel more comfortable with Budaj than Jose. Isn't anyone stupid enough to make a great offer for Jose?
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #483
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Hitchcock to coach the jackets

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/blue...123-D4-00.html

Players have heard of coach’s intensity, attention to detail
Thursday, November 23, 2006
Aaron Portzline
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Nobody in the Blue Jackets’ dressing room has played in the NHL under coach Ken Hitchcock. But they’ve all heard stories.

Hitchcock, hired by the Blue Jackets yesterday, is legendary for his demanding style behind the bench, his my-way-or-thehighway approach, and, of course, his winning ways.

The Blue Jackets will practice for Hitchcock for the first time this morning and play their first game under him Friday in Philadelphia.

Brace yourselves, boys.

"I’m sure some guys are nervous," Blue Jackets left winger Rick Nash said. "But I’m sure more guys will be excited than nervous.

"We need a change here, and I don’t think there’s a better guy than him to come here and make it happen."

Simply put, Hitchcock was hired to change the culture in the Blue Jackets’ dressing room, home to the worst record in the NHL since they joined in 2000 as an expansion franchise.

That shouldn’t be a problem, said former Flyers captain Keith Primeau, who retired last season after playing two-plus season under Hitchcock.

"It’ll be a culture shock to the players there," Primeau said. "He’s a very demanding coach. He expects perfection, and he doesn’t rest until he gets perfection.

"He’s very intense. Playing under Hitch reminded me of what it took to win. There’s a whole different level and an intensity that has to be there in practices if it’s going to be there in games."

Blue Jackets goaltending coach Clint Malarchuk was asked for one word to describe Hitchcock, a friend since childhood.

"Obsessed," Malarchuk said. "He’s a 24-7 kind of guy. He’s all about attention to detail."

The Blue Jackets say they’re ready.

"(Hitchcock) is definitely fair," said captain Adam Foote, who played under Hitchcock for Team Canada in the 2002 Olympic Games. "He’s what it’s supposed to be about, which is accountability.

"We need to learn how to do little things right and how to win hockey games."

Most of the Blue Jackets players weren’t told of Hitchcock’s hiring until after the 4-3 shootout loss to St. Louis last night.

Interim coach Gary Agnew had the TVs turned off in the dressing room area so the players could focus on snapping out of a prolonged losing streak.

Thus the dressing room had an odd vibe after the game. The players were absorbing a loss and the hiring of a new coach simultaneously.

"If you’re going to make a coaching (change)," left winger Jason Chimera said, "then you want it to be one of the guys who’s been known to win a lot in the NHL.

"The young guys will learn a lot from him, I’m sure. So will the older guys."

In eight-plus seasons, players have groused about Hitchcock’s philosophy. He preaches defense first, with a firm belief that winning hockey is rooted in a team’s ability to check, to win battles along the board and wear down opponents.

The most notable complainer was right winger Brett Hull, who scored 741 goals but never played a lick of defense until he played under Hitchcock in Dallas for three years, beginning with the Stanley Cup season (1998-99).

Hull and Hitchcock went back and forth, but Hitchcock — who never played in the NHL — had no trouble showing Hull who was boss.

"I am the last guy who puts (Hull) on the ice," Hitchcock once said, "so he either plays my way or he doesn’t go on the ice. And he knows that."

Hull and Hitchcock still disagree on Hitchcock’s style, which Hull calls boring.

But Hull has admitted: "I was a better player because of Ken Hitchcock."
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #484
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Red Wings sign defenceman Niklas Kronwall to $15-million, five-year extension

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

DETROIT (CP) - The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenceman Niklas Kronwall to a US$15-million, five-year contract extension.

The 25-year-old Stockholm native had three assists in 16 games this season heading into Friday's game against St. Louis. He has two goals and 15 assists in 63 career NHL games. "I know the kid, he's a committed athlete, he trains, he works, he competes," Wings GM Ken Holland told The Canadian Press. "He won the award as the best defenceman in the AHL at the age of 23, first European to do it. He played in the Olympics last year and played well. He's a player that we want to build around.

"My feeling is that the only thing that's held him back in the NHL is that he's had a lot of bad luck with injuries."

Kronwall, who was limited to 27 games last year after suffering a serious knee injury, was Detroit's first pick, 29th overall, in the 2000 NHL entry draft.

He will earn $1.5 million in 2007-08, $3 million in 2008-09, $3.25 million in 2009-10, $3.5 million in 2010-11 and $3.75 million in 2011-12.

"For him, obviously it's great security and for us, you hope that over the course of five seasons he reaches the potential that we think he can reach," said Holland. "We think he can be a very good NHL defenceman. In looking around the league, if he reaches that full potential, there are very good defencemen that make in the $4 million to $5 million range."
Old 11-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #485
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Peter Forsberg going?

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...01946-sun.html

TAMPA, FLA. -- Many teams will be looking to take a Flyer at this year's NHL trade deadline.

Injury-prone centre Peter Forsberg has insisted publicly he doesn't want to be traded, but it's believed he wouldn't balk if the club decided to deal him.

A potential unrestricted free agent in July, Forsberg, 33, has a no-trade clause in his contract.

But, as a high-profile agent noted last week, if the team continues to produce way below expectations -- they are currently worst in the Eastern Conference at 6-14-2-1 -- asking Forsberg to waive his no-trade clause likely wouldn't be difficult.

The Swede, who twice won Stanley Cups with the Colorado Avalanche, surely doesn't want to be part of a Flyers program which is essentially rebuilding.

The Avalanche, it is believed, wouldn't mind bringing him back to help take some of the pressure off captain Joe Sakic.

The word is that Colorado is dangling defenceman Karlis Skrastins as part of a package.

Sure, Forsberg has been saying the right things publicly, but when the Flyers go to talk contract in January, is he really going to want to stay there if the club has no shot at making the post-season?

Doubtful.

Forsberg has been troubled by chronic ankle problems, but many nights when he's hurting he's still better than a lot of guys who are playing at 100%.

Which is another good reason why he is going to be a valuable commodity at the trade deadline -- if not before -- on Feb. 27.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #486
Jori
US Olympian

It's Garrioch, so don't expect anything to come out of it.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #487
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Damn, these rumors are getting irritating.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #488
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Damn, these rumors are getting irritating.
Would you take Peter back/forgive him/fully accept him if Colorado traded for him?

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:28 AM   #489
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Would you take Peter back/forgive him/fully accept him if Colorado traded for him?
In a nanosecond (as long as it only took Skrastins and draft picks/non-NHL prospects).
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:15 AM   #490
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...01946-sun.html

TAMPA, FLA. -- Many teams will be looking to take a Flyer at this year's NHL trade deadline.

Injury-prone centre Peter Forsberg has insisted publicly he doesn't want to be traded, but it's believed he wouldn't balk if the club decided to deal him.

A potential unrestricted free agent in July, Forsberg, 33, has a no-trade clause in his contract.

But, as a high-profile agent noted last week, if the team continues to produce way below expectations -- they are currently worst in the Eastern Conference at 6-14-2-1 -- asking Forsberg to waive his no-trade clause likely wouldn't be difficult.

The Swede, who twice won Stanley Cups with the Colorado Avalanche, surely doesn't want to be part of a Flyers program which is essentially rebuilding.

The Avalanche, it is believed, wouldn't mind bringing him back to help take some of the pressure off captain Joe Sakic.

The word is that Colorado is dangling defenceman Karlis Skrastins as part of a package.

Sure, Forsberg has been saying the right things publicly, but when the Flyers go to talk contract in January, is he really going to want to stay there if the club has no shot at making the post-season?

Doubtful.

Forsberg has been troubled by chronic ankle problems, but many nights when he's hurting he's still better than a lot of guys who are playing at 100%.

Which is another good reason why he is going to be a valuable commodity at the trade deadline -- if not before -- on Feb. 27.
This is all just the writer's (and I use that term very loosely since this is Garrioch) speculation. I'll believe that Forsberg's going to be traded when it happens.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 AM   #491
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
There's nothing to forgive as far as I'm concerned. If he came back I'd be thrilled to see him wearing an Avs uniform again. It'd be nice to see him finish his career here, though I'm very skeptical about it happening.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #492
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
If we got away with not letting Liles or someone young go, maybe. I'd love to see him back, I just don't want to lose someone young and promising to get him. Half the rumors say he's traded, the other half say he's going to be forced to retire.

That'd be the Avs luck, get him back and two weeks later he announces he's retiring.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #493
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

TSN Breaking News:

The Toronto Maple Leafs have moved their surplus goalie. Sources tell TSN that Michael Tellqvist has been traded to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for forward Tyson Nash and a draft pick. Another source suggested there may be a minor-league player from Toronto accompanying Tellqvist to Phoenix, but that the Coyotes are looking for Tellqvist to shore up their inconsistent netminding.

http://www.tsn.ca/
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #494
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

good move for the yotes
Old 11-29-2006, 03:10 AM   #495
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Ducks pull goalie and score with 16 seconds left (Getzlap) to tie. In a unbelievable move, the Ducks actually win in overtime. Take 2 points from Oilers and spoil there hatred for Pronger and his return. This team hasnt won a regular season game in Edmonton since 1999. Destiny.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #496
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Ducks pull goalie and score with 16 seconds left (Getzlap) to tie. In a unbelievable move, the Ducks actually win in overtime. Take 2 points from Oilers and spoil there hatred for Pronger and his return. This team hasnt won a regular season game in Edmonton since 1999. Destiny.
Only 1 point, unfortunately.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:12 PM   #497
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

no, we got 2 points and oilers got one.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #498
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Dec. 1 - Signing deadline for Group 2 free agents.

Peter Budaj, (II) Colorado July 13, 06
Riku Hahl, (II) Timra, SWE May 9, 06
Jeff Finger, (II) Colorado July 12, 06
Vitaly Kolesnik, (II) Khimik, RUS July 6, 06
John-Michael Liles, (II) Colorado July 12, 06
Cody McCormick, (II) Colorado July 13, 06
Brett McLean, (II) Colorado August 4, 06
Kurt Sauer, (II) Colorado July 11, 06
Marek Svatos, (II) Colorado Sept 5, 06
Ossi Vaananen, (II) Colorado June 27, 06

http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2006.html
Old 11-30-2006, 02:09 AM   #499
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
no, we got 2 points and oilers got one.
You said "took two points from the Oilers" so I thought you meant Edmonton lost in regulation after leading all game and had two points taken from them, which would have helped the Avs out.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #500
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Beware the penguins