The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Default Rockies management in screw up shocker!

It apparently was on ESPN Radio before Game 3 of the World Series last night and according to one of the guys the Rockies a few years ago discussed the following trade with the Toronto Blue Jays

Pedro Astacio and Jose Jimenez for Chris Carpenter, Vernon Wells AND Roy Halladay

Rockies management then apparently decided not to pull the trigger as they felt Astacio was too popular with the fans. Can this be true? Apart from the fact Carpenter and Halladay probably wouldīve bombed and left once they wanted to make more than minimum wage, this couldīve been a trade of Forsberg-esque proportions.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Rox fans...kill yourselves now.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I don't believe it because I don't want to. It can't be true. It just can't. Can it?

However, I do know that back when the Expos were shopping Pedro Martinez, they offered him to the Rockies for Jon Thompson and Jamey Wright and the Rockies said no. When Jim Edmonds was on his way out of Anaheim, the Rockies could have had him, but their response was "they had no need for him."

I could go on, but this is making me want to weep.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

quality front office we got there
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
I don't believe it because I don't want to. It can't be true. It just can't. Can it?

However, I do know that back when the Expos were shopping Pedro Martinez, they offered him to the Rockies for Jon Thompson and Jamey Wright and the Rockies said no. When Jim Edmonds was on his way out of Anaheim, the Rockies could have had him, but their response was "they had no need for him."

I could go on, but this is making me want to weep.
Who the **** is your GM? Whoever it is, is making Depo (Depodesta the former Dodgers GM who basically pissed off every Dodger fan on the planet for one year) look like a ****ing genius.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

The rockies would have had to pay them too much and current ownership just doesn't want to spend money anymore. That is why they are shoving all this home grown young BS down our throat. Fact of the matter is when some of our talent gets to the end of their contracts they will get big offers elsewhere and you can say bye-bye to them. Its the ownership they need to sell the team to someone who is ready to risk some money for a return.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
It apparently was on ESPN Radio before Game 3 of the World Series last night and according to one of the guys the Rockies a few years ago discussed the following trade with the Toronto Blue Jays

Pedro Astacio and Jose Jimenez for Chris Carpenter, Vernon Wells AND Roy Halladay

Rockies management then apparently decided not to pull the trigger as they felt Astacio was too popular with the fans. Can this be true? Apart from the fact Carpenter and Halladay probably wouldīve bombed and left once they wanted to make more than minimum wage, this couldīve been a trade of Forsberg-esque proportions.
Who reported this? I'm not sure I can believe it since Pedro Astacio was never that popular with the fans to begin with. And he wouldn't have been nearly as popular as Roy Halladay, who pitched for Denver suburban high school Arvada West.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc View Post
Who reported this? I'm not sure I can believe it since Pedro Astacio was never that popular with the fans to begin with. And he wouldn't have been nearly as popular as Roy Halladay, who pitched for Denver suburban high school Arvada West.
Dave Campbell.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Campbell was on the Rockies broadcast crew for a couple of years. Was it during this time period. I can't remember.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc View Post
And he wouldn't have been nearly as popular as Roy Halladay, who pitched for Denver suburban high school Arvada West.
No ****. A local making good with the home team will always up someone's popularity level, Halladay's popularity would have been off the charts.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote