The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #26
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
St Louis' accomplishment is far more impressive because the team they were chasing didn't tank. The Dodgers went 104-50 on the season. The Cardinals' winning percentage in winning 43 of 51 games was an absoutely ridiculous .843 over the final two months of the season.

By far the most impressive comeback in baseball history.
Funny how its never mentioned as the most impressive. Maybe its just because its only in your mind.

Which is fine. Everyone has their own opinion and you could ask 100 different guys the same question and are likely to get about 75 different answers.

Still, the feat just got harder with St Louis on top late and the 'Stros losing tonight. The way this run for Houston has been going I was almost positive Huff was going to knock that homer in the bottom of the ninth with 2 outs and two on down by three. Would have been sweet, but alas, they caught him looking.

Gotta tell you, even if the Stros dont make the playoffs, this last week has really been fun. Not just the Astros and Cards, but the Dodgers and Padres and Phillies as well. World Series wont matter much I dont think, since the AL is so loaded and the ALCS is essentially going to determine the world champ but this has ALWAYS been the most exciting part of baseball for me, the race for the pennant and probably will remain that way until baseball does something about the salaries and some sort of cap.

Also, really cool of Atlanta "fans" (i use the term loosely) to give Roger a standing ovation after he is taken out of the game tonight.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #27
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
Funny how its never mentioned as the most impressive. Maybe its just because its only in your mind.

Which is fine. Everyone has their own opinion and you could ask 100 different guys the same question and are likely to get about 75 different answers.
Well, its a matter of simple common sense. What's more difficult: to make up ground on a team that's winning or to make up ground on a team that's losing?

Most of the great baseball comebacks are associated with collapses. Go figure.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #28
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

As a Padres fan, I hope the Cardinals can hang on because I don't want to face Oswalt-Clemens-Pettitte in a three game series.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #29
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
Well, its a matter of simple common sense. What's more difficult: to make up ground on a team that's winning or to make up ground on a team that's losing?

Most of the great baseball comebacks are associated with collapses. Go figure.
Watching the greatest chokers of all time on ESPN and the two old guys at the end brought up a good point.

WHat is one team's collapse is one team's comeback.

Let's assume for a moment the Cardinals choke it away and the Astros do win it (I dont know if it will happen, but for arguments sake).

The Cardinals are rightfully some huge chokers.

But, even still the Astros would have had to had a serious comeback to even make their choke possible.

So, the Cardinals choking is a direct result of the Astros comeback and, vice versa.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #30
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Looks like I might've jinxed Freddie with my avatar......

Hopefully I can put the whammy on Houston by rooting for them as well.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #31
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Well, so much for that....breaks my heart really

All hail your new National League Batting Champion Freddie Sanchez!!
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:06 AM   #32
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Well, so much for that....breaks my heart really

All hail your new National League Batting Champion Freddie Sanchez!!
In this era where roidheads are worshipped, it's great to see a litttle spray hitter get some much deserved publicity. For years, the scouts labeled Sanchez as a career utility player and he's making all his doubters look clueless which includes the Boston Red Sox organization.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote