The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Announcements, Features and Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #26
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

How bad was Craig Morton? I've heard that hip pointer was beyond brutal that he literally had to have someone else tie his shoes when he got out of the hospital bed.

His performance has been much criticized (and smirked at by Cowboy fans) maybe people should know exactly how much of an effort it took for him to play that day.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #27
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Morton had no business even being on the field. He could barely walk, they shot him up, but it was a serious hip pointer.

There were some very questionable calls in that SuperBowl.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #28
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy
 
Billy Clyde Puckett's Avatar
 
Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: between 5,000 and 10,000 feet elevation
Posts: 12,480

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Of course we would like to hear about funny anecdotes from the season.

Outside of that year, it would be nice to hear a little about his time at CU and the transition to the NFL.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #29
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

How about the practical jokes being played by Jackson and Gradishar? Didn't Tiny Tom put snakes in Randy's locker once? I can never get enough of that kind of stuff.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #30
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,369

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops
If the Broncos didn't have an unbelievable 8 turnovers in Super Bowl XII they would have beaten the Cowboys . . .

Just to keep it 27-10 with that meltdown is incredible.
REP! Both teams had incredible defenses. I said before the game that if either team got up by 10 it would be over. When Dallas fumbled the kick off deep in their end (1st qtr) and there were 4 Broncos around and on it and Dallas somehow recovered it was a turning point. If Denver had got that ball it would have been a different game, with Denver holding a 10 point lead after punching in from inside the Dallas 5.

I was never so proud of the Crush as that game...they kept it respectable, when it should have been a complete blow out.
ScottXray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #31
KCbroncos
Solid Starter
 
KCbroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Shawnee, KS (Burb of Marienthal, KS)
Posts: 153
Default

A whole chapter dedicated towards Mr. Armstrong, whom he shared the backfield with most of his career. How many yards he feels Otis would have had if not for the injuries or being held back by Red Miller.

Views on who he feels were the nastiest players he went up against (Tatum, Sistrunk, Lambert). Some of the overrated and underrated/Gradishar players during his time.

What SB week was like especially with all the Orange Crush craze going on. Seemed like they centered the talked to much about and around Alzado that week.
KCbroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #32
g00fyfoot
Seasoned Veteran
 
g00fyfoot's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: 5280'
Posts: 373
Default

What did Paul Howard say to Mean Joe Greene (he visibly approached him) after Greene punched him in the stomach in the AFC Divisional (and didn't get caught)?
g00fyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #33
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,759

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I would have three questions:

What does he think of the Rob Lytle "fumble" in the playoff game against the Raiders? Did the team use the commentary about the play after the game as a rallying point leading up to the Super Bowl?

How would he rank the biggest wins from that season? You could argue that the first win at Oakland was every bit as important as the win in the AFC Championship game. When he thinks of that season, what stands out in his mind as the highest highs the team experienced?

And one more - although it isn't specifically about only the '77 season: Did the team generally know of Lyle Alzado's creative use of pharmaceuticals?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #34
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

My question would be "What was the mood like on the Bronco team just before the season started? What was it like after the Broncos destroyed the World Champion Raiders in Oakland?

Is Randy Gradishar really God?
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:46 PM   #35
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
There were two losses that season... One in week seven, and one in week 14, the last week of the season.

The week seven loss was against the Oakland Raiders. The week 14 loss was against the eventual Superbowl champion Dallas Cowboys.

Which loss was a worse blow? Obviously, the team bounced back from both of them. I'd like to hear about how the team reacted to those losses, and what came out of them in hindsight that showed the heart of a Champion in the team.
That's an easy question. The Oakland loss hurt bad. They lost at Mile High and everyone in the Country thought the Broncos would fold after that game. The smart money was on the Faiders winning the division after that game.

The loss against the Cowboys was meaningless because they already had homefield wrapped up.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:49 PM   #36
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,724

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff
Red Miller and his personality seemed so very integral to the success ... what kind of coach was he, and why did he never coach again after Kaiser fired him three years later? Was he in "over his head" from a pure football standpoint as some have said?

What was the true extent of Glassic's illness before the Super Bowl, and just how much weight had he lost? (Some estimate 20 pounds in 3 weeks, but that seems unlikely). Was Glassic's condition the biggest reason Harvey Martin went wild?

Who wrote the silly lyrics to Jon's "Make Those Miracles Happen" ?
I'd like to know about Red Miller too did he have a drinking problem

I'd also like to know what was Joe Collier's coaching style was he a players coach.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #37
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops

Finally, does he think he fumbled in that controversial 77 AFC Championship game vs the Raiders?
Lytle is the one that fumbled not Keyworth and yes it was an obvious fumble.

Last edited by Atlas; 08-25-2006 at 02:31 PM..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #38
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Is he involved with the Broncos today? If not is he an avid fan of the team or just a casual observer. What was his reaction when the Broncos won SBXXXII?
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #39
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,539

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

I'd first thank him for the 74 season. It was the first time watching the Broncos that I got a feel that we could really do something. He and Armstrong did some scoring. Then I'd want to know if the team really felt that Morton could lead the team, not just for that SB with his injuries but overall. I was not a fan of Morton's. Also who at that time was the player he most admired.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #40
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns
I'd first thank him for the 74 season. It was the first time watching the Broncos that I got a feel that we could really do something. He and Armstrong did some scoring. Then I'd want to know if the team really felt that Morton could lead the team, not just for that SB with his injuries but overall. I was not a fan of Morton's. Also who at that time was the player he most admired.
Morton was a huge upgrade over Steve Ramsey. Morton was a lot like Jake last year. Play within yourself and don't turn the ball over. Unlike Jake Morton would just take the sack if no one was open. He took serious beatings.

Last edited by Atlas; 08-24-2006 at 03:52 PM..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #41
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Morton was absolutely nothing like Plummer.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #42
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

He also wasn't a HUGE upgrade over Charlie Johnson.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #43
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
He also wasn't a HUGE upgrade over Charlie Johnson.
I changed it already. He was a huge upgrade over Ramsey. Johnson wasn't even with the team in 1977.

Last edited by Atlas; 08-24-2006 at 05:40 PM..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #44
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock
Morton was absolutely nothing like Plummer.
Their game wasn't alike but they did both play conservative games and not make turnovers. That's all.

Last edited by Atlas; 08-24-2006 at 05:41 PM..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #45
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
I changed it already. He was a huge upgrade over Ramsey. Johnson was even with the team in 1977.
Oh good. I thought if Hogan sees that diss on Charley, Atlas is in BIG trouble.


Ramsey. Actually a rock might've been an upgrade over Ramsey...
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #46
Malcontent
Life....on tap.
 
Malcontent's Avatar
 
Got Mustard?

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,915

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard
Default

Jon,
What was Mile High Stadium like in those early days of Broncomania? And if you've been back to the new Mile High are there any noticeable differences as far as fan noise, enthusiasm, and general craziness?
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #47
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,539

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
Morton was a huge upgrade over Steve Ramsey. Morton was a lot like Jake last year. Play within yourself and don't turn the ball over. Unlike Jake Morton would just take the sack if no one was open. He took serious beatings.
To me it was like saying Brooks is a huge upgrade over Collins. The first two years he was in Denver I'll give him that he didn't turn the ball over as much as he usually had or would but he also only hit his target about 1/2 the time. If not for Denver's defense we would have never even sniffed the playoffs or the SB.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #48
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns
To me it was like saying Brooks is a huge upgrade over Collins. The first two years he was in Denver I'll give him that he didn't turn the ball over as much as he usually had or would but he also only hit his target about 1/2 the time. If not for Denver's defense we would have never even sniffed the playoffs or the SB.
Ramsey was horrible Morton was a good QB. In fact in 1977 he went to the Probowl and was the second QB behind Bob Griese.

I think your hatred for him has clouded your memory. Craig Morton was voted UPI comeback player of the year IN 1977.

SoCals link: http://www.databasefootball.com/awar...htm?a=UPIAFMVP
UPI AFL-AFC MVP Winners
1982 Dan Fouts
1981 Ken Anderson
1980 Brian Sipe
1979 Dan Fouts
1978 Earl Campbell
1977 Craig Morton
1976 Bert Jones
1975 O.j. Simpson
1974 Ken Stabler
1973 O.j. Simpson
1972 O.j. Simpson
1971 Otis Taylor
1970 George Blanda
1969 Daryle Lamonica
1968 Joe Namath
1967 Daryle Lamonica
1966 Jim Nance
1965 Paul Lowe
1964 Gino Cappelletti
1963 Lance Alworth
1962 Cookie Gilchrist
1961 George Blanda
1960 Abner Haynes

NFL Comeback Player of the Year Winners
SoCals link: http://www.databasefootball.com/awar...htm?a=COMEBACK

2005 Steve Smith
Tedy Bruschi
2004 Drew Brees
2003 Jon Kitna
2002 Tommy Maddox
2001 Garrison Hearst
2000 Joe Johnson
1999 Bryant Young
1998 Doug Flutie
1997 Robert Brooks
1996 Jerome Bettis
1995 Jim Harbaugh
1994 Dan Marino
1993 Marcus Allen
1992 Randall Cunningham
1991 Jim Mcmahon
1990 Barry Word
1989 Ottis Anderson
1988 Greg Bell
1987 Charles White
1986 Joe Montana
Tommy Kramer
1984 John Stallworth
1983 Billy Johnson
1982 Lyle Alzado
1981 Ken Anderson
1980 Jim Plunkett
1979 Larry Csonka
1978 John Riggins
1977 Craig Morton
1976 Greg Landry
1975 Dave Hampton
1974 Joe Namath
1973 Roman Gabriel
1972 Earl Morrall

Last edited by Atlas; 08-25-2006 at 12:27 AM..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:46 AM   #49
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,539

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
Ramsey was horrible Morton was a good QB. In fact in 1977 he went to the Probowl and was the second QB behind Bob Griese.

I think your hatred for him has clouded your memory. Craig Morton was voted UPI comeback player of the year IN 1977.

SoCals link: http://www.databasefootball.com/awar...htm?a=UPIAFMVP
UPI AFL-AFC MVP Winners
1982 Dan Fouts
1981 Ken Anderson
1980 Brian Sipe
1979 Dan Fouts
1978 Earl Campbell
1977 Craig Morton
1976 Bert Jones
1975 O.j. Simpson
1974 Ken Stabler
1973 O.j. Simpson
1972 O.j. Simpson
1971 Otis Taylor
1970 George Blanda
1969 Daryle Lamonica
1968 Joe Namath
1967 Daryle Lamonica
1966 Jim Nance
1965 Paul Lowe
1964 Gino Cappelletti
1963 Lance Alworth
1962 Cookie Gilchrist
1961 George Blanda
1960 Abner Haynes

NFL Comeback Player of the Year Winners
SoCals link: http://www.databasefootball.com/awar...htm?a=COMEBACK

2005 Steve Smith
Tedy Bruschi
2004 Drew Brees
2003 Jon Kitna
2002 Tommy Maddox
2001 Garrison Hearst
2000 Joe Johnson
1999 Bryant Young
1998 Doug Flutie
1997 Robert Brooks
1996 Jerome Bettis
1995 Jim Harbaugh
1994 Dan Marino
1993 Marcus Allen
1992 Randall Cunningham
1991 Jim Mcmahon
1990 Barry Word
1989 Ottis Anderson
1988 Greg Bell
1987 Charles White
1986 Joe Montana
Tommy Kramer
1984 John Stallworth
1983 Billy Johnson
1982 Lyle Alzado
1981 Ken Anderson
1980 Jim Plunkett
1979 Larry Csonka
1978 John Riggins
1977 Craig Morton
1976 Greg Landry
1975 Dave Hampton
1974 Joe Namath
1973 Roman Gabriel
1972 Earl Morrall
No I didn't like the pickup because he hadn't done much in NY or Dallas. As I said I'll give him the first two years in Denver, slightly, as he did curb his turnovers, but he also only made about 1/2 his passes. IMO, any improvement by him would have made him the comeback player. The standards were different back then, but my standards back then were as high as they are today for the Broncos and those standards weren't met until 1983. Now THAT I thought was an absolute miracle.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #50
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,187

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

What players from that team does he consider Hall Of Fame material?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Denver Broncos