The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default manning seeks Elway and Shanahan's advice

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14393841/
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Nice read. TY
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Manning is still a prick.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Manning realizes his own coach isn't the one to go to for advice on winning the big one. I think the Colts could dominate and win a couple rings if they had a Parcells, Shanny, Bellichek type coach or they could trade for Chucky.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Ballhawk
Ring of Famer

Hope Shanny told him to go "F" himself!
Ballhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
(Jae)
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We're not going to tell YOU!
lol, most likely, we're going to have to face you.
(Jae) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

If I was John I woulda told him "All I did was think about the loss and how it was my fault. I let the whole team down because of my selfishness and pitifull play. Alcohol helps ease the pain. Lets go have a drink"
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Shanny told him it was Griese's fault.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

It's nice that Manning seeks advice. He seems to be preoccupied with John, IMO...last year he mentioned on NFL Live that he watched tapes of the Broncos super bowl where John did the helicopter. His wife went out and partied with friends.

Now he asks for advice. Of course, the Broncos situation has nothing to do with the Colts. But when you're reaching for anything, I guess you make up stuff for inspiration. The Bronco team was more balanced and physical than this Colt team, with a better spread of talent on both sides of the ball. Unless the colts restructure themselves, they'll do the same cycle of winning games and bombing in playoffs until the nucleus is too old.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I think Manning is trying really hard to be more like Elway and less like Marino.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think it wasn't so much as "how did you win" as much as it was "how did you cope with the loss after such a great season". The artcle points out, we were all geared up the next season with fangs and claws sharpened but we still only managed to get a wild card spot.

It takes so many things to align right to win the SB. Injuries during the playoffs, a certain play called against the wrong defense, the unfortunate bounce of the ball, missed or bad calls by the refs. It's not just about X's and O's. Things definately need to go your way to win it all. I think the longer you play, the more you realize that.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:33 AM   #12
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Well for starters he should work on winning his first AFC Championship. Elway had played in three Super Bowls already before the Jacksonville game. We also hadn't been to a playoff game in years so I kind felt like that game was a reminder to the team of how much harder you have to play at that level.

I hate that people compare the two when they're not remotely the same player. Elway won more games and did so with crappier talent in poor conditions. Manning plays in the snow in Gilette Stadium and sucks. Elways plays for the AFC championship in the Dog Pound in the snow and mud and has one of the best games of his career.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #13
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore
I hate that people compare the two when they're not remotely the same player. Elway won more games and did so with crappier talent in poor conditions. Manning plays in the snow in Gilette Stadium and sucks. Elways plays for the AFC championship in the Dog Pound in the snow and mud and has one of the best games of his career.

Yep.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore
Well for starters he should work on winning his first AFC Championship. Elway had played in three Super Bowls already before the Jacksonville game. We also hadn't been to a playoff game in years so I kind felt like that game was a reminder to the team of how much harder you have to play at that level.

Yeah, I noticed how people 'force' comparisons that aren't just to make a point in the NFL. Just like the overall wins thing. They conveniently only mention regular season wins, so that other qbs look better. Or pull selective statistics like, "from 1993-1998 this player did so and so". Last time I checked playoff wins count too. How can super bowls matter if playoff wins don't? It makes no sense, yet the media repeats the same stuff, and people repeat what the media repeats. GAAAHH...

Plus, Elway was the unanimous overall 1st pick. Ryan Leaf was supposed to be better than P. Manning, according to all these same 'experts' that have Manning as the second coming. Now he's better than sex, sliced bread, and Ipods.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #15
Bronco Yoda

Manning is a little colt wanting to grow up to be mighty Bronco.

Me thinks he was really trying to get into Mike's ear to see if he was interested in a trade. He knows he'll never win anything in Indy...
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure an Option for this team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

"But anger isn’t Manning’s comfort zone. Intellect and a ferocious work ethic are."

He has no balls & it shows when the chips are down in tough games in the playoffs. When Elway had his back against the wall in the Arm-pit of the Great Lakes (i.e. Cleveland) With idiots throwing dog bones at him & his team he rallyed for the greatest drive ever. When Manrino gets pushed around & pressured in an AFC Championship game he gets happy feet & gets scared & goes down.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Maybe when Payaton realizes that when the going gets tough you don't start cussing out and publicly blaming your teammates, he'll have learned the class it takes to win the big one. Until then, he doesn't deserve it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Meh.

There is some basis for the comparison..

Both were labled "selfish prima donna pretty boys" coming out of college..

Neither could win a bowl game for love or money.

Both were the clear #1 draft choice in their respective drafts.

Both were clearly acknowledged as the most talented QBs in the game in their respective eras.

Both were labeled big game loosers before their 30th birthdays.

It all worked out for Johnny. Personally, I hope Jughead falls into the Marino trap: 60 k + yards and 1 career SB apearance - for a loss.

On the bright side, he may well pick up the slimfast franchise.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #19
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The worst part about the Mannings is the way the NFL promotes them and their dad, Archie, like they're the best QBs of all time.

Because his kids are good, people talk about Archie like he was some great QB. Mediocre at best with a 67 lifetime QB rating . . . I saw him play many times and he was the equivalent of Mike Phipps or worse.
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #20
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ol' Archie played on one of the worst franchises in the history of organized sport.

And he still managed not to suck.

If Archie had played for the Cowboys, he would have multiple rings and be in the HOF.

Jughead is another story.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #21
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Archie sucked on every team he played for . . . Saints, Vikings and Oilers . . . and QB'd them all to losing seasons.

Even his TD-INT ratio blows . . . 125 TD passes, 173 interceptions. Even Namath laughs at that.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure an Option for this team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Archie was bad, he was as bad as Avellini. Only thing Archie had going for him that his son doesn't was his toughness. As a QB Manning was hard to watch.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #23
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Archie is probably now living his dream throught Peyton and Eli.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #24
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yup, if you go back to the mid-70s when Archie was in his prime, you could probably name 15 or so QBs better . . . . Staubach, Kilmer, Hart, Gabriel, Tarkenton, Plunkett, Pastorini, Hadl, Bartkowski, Morton, Jaworski, Griese, Ferguson, Namath, Bradshaw, Charley Johnson, Stabler, Dawson . . . probably more.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #25
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule
Meh.

There is some basis for the comparison..

Both were labled "selfish prima donna pretty boys" coming out of college..

(well, all highly paid qbs are, generally. remember Marino was supposed to be a dope fiend in his senior year?)

Neither could win a bowl game for love or money.

(don't know about manning's records, but john had several pac records. bad teams.)

Both were the clear #1 draft choice in their respective drafts.

(not so. John was consensus in the entire draft, many thought Ryan Leaf was better than Manning among qbs in his draft.)

Both were clearly acknowledged as the most talented QBs in the game in their respective eras.

(again, see Ryan Leaf. Read the old hype for a giggle.)

Both were labeled big game loosers before their 30th birthdays.

(Super bowls only. However, john had been to 3, peyton's been to none at the same point. AFC champ games are big, you can't cruise to the bowl from reg season wins.)

It all worked out for Johnny. Personally, I hope Jughead falls into the Marino trap: 60 k + yards and 1 career SB apearance - for a loss.
(people say marino needed a running back. He needed more than that...a willingness to pass the ball around and have a more balanced attack. Not to mention have some mobility and arm strength late in his career, which he didn't. Busted achilles shortened one leg by nearly 3 inches, busted nerve in shoulder robbed remaining arm strength. Dolphs had to max protect all the time, limiting their offense.)
Of course John had the brains and persistence to ignore the losers who called HIM a loser. He kept right on going and got the rings.

On the bright side, he may well pick up the slimfast franchise.
(he's sure doing enough commercials. Maybe he doesn't have enough money for a forehead reduction.)