The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Liriano on the DL

Liriano to land on disabled list
Twins' young pitcher experiencing pain near his elbow
By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The Twins have long taken precautions to protect the health of All-Star rookie Francisco Liriano, knowing the type of talent the phenom possesses.
On Tuesday they took another precaution, as the club decided to place the left-hander on the 15-day disabled list due to the pain he has been experiencing near his left elbow.

An official move had not yet been made as of early Tuesday evening, but manager Ron Gardenhire confirmed the club will place Liriano on the disabled list and recall another pitcher to fill his spot in the rotation.

It likely will be either Scott Baker or Boof Bonser that will get the call up from Triple-A Rochester to take Liriano's place on Saturday against the Blue Jays.

"We're going to miss him out of our rotation -- a great arm like that," Gardenhire said. "But on the other side of it, it's also our goal to protect these young pitchers and we understand that it's all about taking care of that arm so he's here many, many years down the road."

Liriano has been dealing with the soreness in his elbow since a start against the Tigers on July 28. It was that pain near the elbow that caused Liriano to skip his scheduled start on Aug. 2 as a precautionary measure. An MRI of Liriano's arm on July 31 revealed no structural damage to the elbow, just some inflammation in the muscle.

But it was that same pain that caused Liriano to leave his most recent start, in Detroit on Monday, after just four innings. He allowed four runs on 10 hits in the club's 9-3 loss. Liriano said he felt the pain worsen and was close to tears as he talked about it following the start.

Liriano will undergo an enhanced MRI by team orthopedic physician Dr. Dan Buss on Thursday afternoon upon the team's return to Minnesota. This type of MRI will call for dye to be injected into the elbow to try to determine what may be causing the pain.

Though the cause of the pain is unknown, the decision to place Liriano on the DL came mostly due to the fact that the pain has persisted after it had appeared Liriano had gotten back to full strength over the past 10 days.

Since his start was skipped on Aug. 2, Liriano had maintained that through taking anti-inflammatory medication and getting a bit of extra rest that the soreness had gone away. But after his start Monday, Liriano admitted the pain hadn't really disappeared but he pushed through it so that he could keep pitching.

The Twins coaching staff was upset by the fact Liriano kept the pain hidden from them. With a young arm, the Twins don't want to take any unnecessary risks of injury, and they tried to explain that to the 22-year-old on Tuesday afternoon in a meeting during which they discussed the importance of being honest about injuries.

"He wants to pitch, and you applaud that, but at the same time, you're talking about a 22-year-old young man that needs to be protected," Gardenhire said. "Veterans can get away with that and saying, 'Hey, I've lived with it. I've dealt with it' type thing, but when talking about young arms, it's different. We need to know."

The loss of Liriano for at least 15 days will be a blow to the club as it continues to chase postseason hopes. The Twins trail the Red Sox and White Sox in the Wild Card standings by one-half game, and they trail the Tigers by 10 1/2 games in the American League Central.

After it seemed the rotation had solidified after a rough start, this has been the latest setback. The club has seen a revolving door of pitchers in the fifth spot, and the news of Liriano's placement on the DL came on the heels of the club calling up top pitching prospect Matt Garza on Tuesday to start on Friday.

Now the Twins will have to rely on either Baker or Bonser to fill in on Saturday with the hope that success will follow. That's not exactly a guaranteed thing, as both pitchers have seen their fair share of struggles at the Major League level this season.

Baker, who started the year as the No. 5 starter, has been working on keeping his pitches down in the zone, a problem that has plagued him in nearly every big-league start.

Bonser also has struggled with control, including having trouble getting pitches over the plate in a loss at Kansas City in early July.

But both pitchers showed considerable improvement in their last starts in Triple-A. Baker allowed two earned runs on eight hits over 7 1/3 innings on Sunday, while Bonser gave up just two runs on four hits in seven innings on Monday.

But despite the uncertainty of how the rotation will fare without Liriano, the concern for the club first and foremost is to get Liriano back to full strength before it thinks of returning him to the mound.

"First, we're going to get him straightened out and make sure he's healthy," Gardenhire said. "Then we'll do the best we can with the rest of the rotation."

Kelly Thesier is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I want to cry.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'll bet.

I read a lot of fantasy sites in July that suggested trading the kid because of durability concerns through the rest of the season. I don't think I could have made that trade.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Liriano has a delivery in which he really throws across his body, putting a lot of stress on his shoulder. Sure it makes his pitches tougher to pick up, but the downside is being felt right now. He also throws an extremely high percentage of sliders, putting additional stress on his elbow.

Unless Liriano alters his mechanics and starts throwing more fastballs and changeups, I foresee injury issues in his future.

It's usually the sinker/slider guys that run into injury issues. Jake Peavy throws a lot fo sliders and Brandon Webb throws a lot of sinkers. It is no coincidence they are ailing. Watch out for King Felix in that regard. Verlander, Cain throw a lot of 4 seam fastballs, which are stress free. As is the changeup. They should be okay.

Contrary to popular belief, when it comes to pitchers, injuries are predictable.
Smelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelvin
Liriano has a delivery in which he really throws across his body, putting a lot of stress on his shoulder. Sure it makes his pitches tougher to pick up, but the downside is being felt right now. He also throws an extremely high percentage of sliders, putting additional stress on his elbow.

Unless Liriano alters his mechanics and starts throwing more fastballs and changeups, I foresee injury issues in his future.

It's usually the sinker/slider guys that run into injury issues. Jake Peavy throws a lot fo sliders and Brandon Webb throws a lot of sinkers. It is no coincidence they are ailing. Watch out for King Felix in that regard. Verlander, Cain throw a lot of 4 seam fastballs, which are stress free. As is the changeup. They should be okay.

Contrary to popular belief, when it comes to pitchers, injuries are predictable.
That nice stress free change up really worked out well for Gagne, didn't it?

Prior's perfect mechanics and prototype physique have kept him the model of health.

Injuries are even more predictable in hindsight, aren't they?

Last edited by -Slap-; 08-12-2006 at 01:05 AM..
Old 08-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Of course there are exceptions, and of course there are guys with solid mechanics who get hurt, but guys who have flawd mechanics, or unorthodox deliveries that put increased stress on the joints...their injuries are easier to predict.

Gagne's demise is obvious. The juice contributed to arm strength and muscle mass that the elbow ligaments simply couldn't support. You're probably too stupid the realize this...but Barry Bonds was not the only player using the needle.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Of course there are exceptions, and of course there are guys with solid mechanics who get hurt, but guys who have flawd mechanics, or unorthodox deliveries that put increased stress on the joints...their injuries are easier to predict.

Gagne's demise is obvious. The juice contributed to arm strength and muscle mass that the elbow ligaments simply couldn't support. You're probably too stupid the realize this...but Barry Bonds was not the only player using the needle.
No, everybody is juicing. That's what you and the other pathetic losers in San Francisco have to keep believing.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #8
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
No, everybody is juicing. That's what you and the other pathetic losers in San Francisco have to keep believing.
Man, it's like I'm arguing with a 12 year old. Every response of yours uses either extreme hyperbole or isolated examples to make a broad statement. Not *everyone* is/was juicing, but clearly a lot. And Gagne was absolutely one of them.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #9
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Man, it's like I'm arguing with a 12 year old. Every response of yours uses either extreme hyperbole or isolated examples to make a broad statement. Not *everyone* is/was juicing, but clearly a lot. And Gagne was absolutely one of them.
And you can't go three posts on any topic without redirecting the subject to your stupid agenda.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And you can't go three posts on any topic without redirecting the subject to your stupid agenda.
Lol...go look back at the thread. My agenda was to point out that with pitchers, you can look at their deliveries and have a good indication of who will endure injury, and who will not. YOU felt the need to dispute that fact...which further proves your lack of knowledge or simple ignorance. Sure you love your fantasy game, but I'm trying to give you some advice. Stay away from pitchers with violent deliveries, guys who throw high percentages of sinkers/sliders, and guys who have diminutive body fames. Liriano, Harden, Peavy, Webb, soon to be King Felix...all are injuries in the making.

Injuries to pitchers, in the BROAD picture, are not random. Are you going to continue to dispute that, jackass?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #11
Tredici
Ring of Famer

I think on the name change request Smelvin should just be changed to Slap's Ineffective Stalker.

He is so obsessive it's kind of embarrasing to read.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici
I think on the name change request Smelvin should just be changed to Slap's Ineffective Stalker.

He is so obsessive it's kind of embarrasing to read.
Its pathetic when I leave them this broken and desperate.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
How did Smelvin not make the top 10 in the greatest thread in board history?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=44403
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Like Rich Harden?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #15
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
How did Smelvin not make the top 10 in the greatest thread in board history?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=44403
Because he's one of my personal groupies, not a general board nuisance.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Because he's one of my personal groupies, not a general board nuisance.
lol...you wish. But I will respectively decline...don't feel the need to catch the hiv.