The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #76
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

An interesting excerpt from the ESPN article:

Quote:
By the 2005 NFL Combine, Clarett was too slow to turn any heads, and his only blessing was that Broncos Coach Mike Shanahan was arrogant enough to think he could save him. Shanahan thinks the system makes the back, instead of vice versa, and so he picked Clarett in the third round and found out the hard way.

The minute Clarett arrived in Denver, they began to sour on him. At the airport, before flying from Colorado to the rookie symposium, he frantically called the Broncos, saying he'd left a brief case in his airport limo. But there was no brief case in there, just a water bag he always carried around. That's all right, he said, he wanted it.

He would take that water bottle everywhere, including the Bronco weight room, and the team started getting suspicious when, before minicamp practices, he'd grab the bottle and say, "I gotta get my Goose on.'' It wasn't a joke; the Bronco players were convinced he was chugging Grey Goose.

There was another incident at the team hotel, where he was accused of allegedly making sexual comments toward a guest. He denied it, but it didn't help that he had also begun alienating members of the Broncos staff. That summer, after minicamp, he had missed a weight lifting session with the team's strength coach of 11 years, Rich Tuten, and he and Tuten had then engaged in a profane shouting match. Offended by it, Clarett marched into GM Ted Sundquist's office and demanded that Tuten be fired. When Sundquist refused, Clarett -- who hadn't even signed a rookie contract yet -- asked to be traded.

By this point, the Broncos were wary of him. They offered Clarett a $416,000 signing bonus, but only if the contract had default language. But Clarett, against the advice of Clarett's former agents, Steve Feldman and Josh Luchs, turned it down. Feldman and Luchs -- who now, as agents for Gersh Sports, represent the new Bronco star rookie RB Mike Bell -- implored Clarett to take the signing bonus, but Clarett wanted to replace it with an incentive package that would pay him first-round money if he rushed for 1,000 yards in multiple seasons. It was his ego talking. Clarett even wanted Pro Bowl language. It was a reach, and if he got cut, he wouldn't see a penny. Obviously, the Broncos agreed to the deal. And when he spent 18 days nursing a groin injury, they cut him. He never carried the ball in a preseason game.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #77
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake
I'm usally not one to be critical of Shanny and the Front Office, but how could they not know about this guy. If a reporter can find out about his work ethic, quiting on trainers when pushed, and the crowd he was hanging out with why didn't they ?

That said it sounds like things are pretty messed up in his life. I think someone in the other thread said that i could be somebody is after him to collect on his un paid debt.

Didn't you read the article. It was because Shanahan was arrogant. Case closed, am I right?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #78
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Clarett was Bobby Turner's project.

He asked for and Shanny gave the 3 pick to Turner, God knows he has earned a flier.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #79
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It was a free pick...

If it was our only pick, I'd have been upset. But it was a free pick. Well worth the risk.

Sometimes risks pan out.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #80
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
It was a free pick...

If it was our only pick, I'd have been upset. But it was a free pick. Well worth the risk.

Sometimes risks pan out.
Ya just look at the OM

After reading the articles on MC I think he was a victim of the insanity of collage sports in this country.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #81
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think he was the victim of some world class immaturity.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #82
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco
So your beacon of crediabilty is the LAPD...I think we're done here. And that wasn't the same incident. He did smash the windows...he didn't beat the woman...she also said so.
Oh, did I get one of the half a dozen times Jim Brown got arrested for violence against women confused there? Sorry about that.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #83
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Showered with gifts, women fawning over him, adults praising him and dubbing him saviour, surrounded by suck ups telling him he is a God. Very very difficult for a kid to transcend.

I say college sports is the disease and Maurice Clarett is the symptom.

Last edited by baja; 08-10-2006 at 12:57 AM..
Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #84
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
It was a free pick...

Sometimes risks pan out.
They don't pan out nearly enough to make it worthwhile.

Who were the four biggest character risk gambles in the Shanahan era?

Dale Carter - Unmitigated disaster.

Chet McGlockton - Solid player.

Daryl Gardener - Unmitigated disaster.

Maurice Clarett - A third rounder, and apparently, we got off easy. I'm glad he wasn't here long enough to put anyone from the organization on his little Andrew Cunnanan style hit list.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #85
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja fan
Showered with gifts, women fawning over him, adults praising him and dubbing him saviour, surrounded by suck ups telling him he is a God. Very very difficult for a kid to transcend.

I say college sports is the disease and Maurice Clarett is the symptom.
Sudden fame (or money) anywhere can mess people up, especially young people. Athletes, movie stars, musicians, hotshot executives in various industries. Some people can deal with it and some cannot. Some become self destructive, for a million and one reasons, both internal and external.

Obviously, college sports has its flaws, but Maurice Clarett was probably going to end up badly because of something inside Maurice Clarett. That likely would have happened if he never even picked up a football.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #86
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

As awful as this will sound, I'm still waiting for the race card to come out in this.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:39 AM   #87
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
Sudden fame (or money) anywhere can mess people up, especially young people. Athletes, movie stars, musicians, hotshot executives in various industries. Some people can deal with it and some cannot. Some become self destructive, for a million and one reasons, both internal and external.

Obviously, college sports has its flaws, but Maurice Clarett was probably going to end up badly because of something inside Maurice Clarett. That likely would have happened if he never even picked up a football.
Clearly it is a case by case thing but the bottom line is we place way too high a value on gifted athletes to the point of inflicting physiological damage in many cases. We all find flavor clowns (love that phrase) distastfull but we have collectively created them.

if TO were a bag boy he most likely would not speak of himself in the third person.

it's impossible to say is Clarett would have crashed and burned had he not had a gift to lug a football.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:28 AM   #88
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

I cant wait for the excuses about how Maurice was never given a chance blah blah blah. Cant believe so many people thought he would succeed when we drafted him. I saw this **** coming a mile away.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 AM   #89
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja fan
Clearly it is a case by case thing but the bottom line is we place way too high a value on gifted athletes to the point of inflicting physiological damage in many cases. We all find flavor clowns (love that phrase) distastfull but we have collectively created them.

if TO were a bag boy he most likely would not speak of himself in the third person.

it's impossible to say is Clarett would have crashed and burned had he not had a gift to lug a football.
We place way too high a value on celebrities in general in this culture. Be they athletes, actors or CEOs.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #90
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

For me....the most surprising part of this whole thing isn't the guns, the vest, or his overall behavior.....it's the fact that Clarett was caught driving a freakin' Hyundai Santa Fe. Looks like Plummer lost his title of "worst ride."
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #91
ol number 7
The Champ

Flair for Life

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Craig Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
Some people will do anything to avoid success.
Don't fumble the soap like you did the rock in Denver. At least he gets to see
Theee Ohio State on TV every Saturday for the next ten years or so.
Whoa Nelly Michigan -Ohio St. with a plate of grissle and creamed corn.
ol number 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #92
Raiders Rock
Ring of Famer

RaidersKickAss.com

This guy makes D Russell look like a choir boy
Raiders Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #93
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

The only thing i need now, is for someone to photoshop either Ice Cube's face onto Clarett's body wearing the chronic hat, or Clarett's face on an Ice Cube body, holding an AK or a blunt, or both.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #94
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Oh shoot, hey... Be right back guys, i gotta go get my 'Goose on.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #95
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco
For me....the most surprising part of this whole thing isn't the guns, the vest, or his overall behavior.....it's the fact that Clarett was caught driving a freakin' Hyundai Santa Fe. Looks like Plummer lost his title of "worst ride."
What? You obviously have no taste! Those flared fenders are a technological innovation. I can't believe they got rid of them.

Tell me that this car doesn't just speak to you. What's it say? "Quality! Durability! Luxury!"

DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #96
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I can't believe anyone....anyone cares about this creep anymore......let him rot.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #97
PatsWin2002
Giggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
I can't believe anyone....anyone cares about this creep anymore......let him rot.
I agree. I even hesitated to post it in this forum, but figured someone would eventually.

Let everyone see it and let it fade away.........
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #98
PatsWin2002
Giggity

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/local_story_222115116.html

Clarett Gets $5M Bond For Weapons Charge

By Matt Leingang, AP Writer
(AP) COLUMBUS, Ohio Maurice Clarett's bond on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon was set at $5 million Thursday, a day after the former Ohio State running back was arrested following a chase with police and four loaded guns were found in his sport utility vehicle.

Prosecutors had asked Franklin County Municipal Judge Andrea Peeples for a bond for Clarett of at least $1 million.

"We feel he's a threat to the community," assistant prosecutor Chris Brown said.

Clarett, wearing a jail-issue tan jumpsuit, stood motionless and expressionless against the wall next to his lawyer during the arraignment. He did not say anything and was not asked anything by the judge.

Clarett's attorney, Nick Mango, said the $5 million bond was excessive. He would not speculate on why the guns were in the SUV Clarett was driving.

"We're very confident that there was no intent to harm anyone," he said.

Peeples said she set the bond so high because Clarett fled police. A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Aug. 18.

Clarett's latest run-in with the law began when police noticed an SUV driving erratically in the early morning hours Wednesday. A highway chase ensued, ending when police spiked Clarett's tires, sending his vehicle limping into a restaurant parking lot.

Officers said they could not easily subdue Clarett because the bulletproof vest he was wearing thwarted their stun guns. It took several police using pepper spray to get the 6-foot, 245-pounder into handcuffs.

He continued to struggle even as he was taken away, kicking at the doors of the transport vehicle, police said. Officers also secured a cloth mask over Clarett's mouth after they say he spat at them.

On Wednesday, prosecutors asked a judge to keep him in jail and revoke his bond on an earlier robbery charge.

They said they were concerned that Clarett was driving with the guns only a few blocks from the home of a woman who was set to testify against him next week in an alleged robbery outside a Columbus bar.

His bond in that case was raised to $1.1 million Wednesday after he was jailed on the new weapon and traffic charges, and Mango said that amount would likely be too high for Clarett to pay, meaning he would stay in jail for the duration of the robbery trial, which starts Monday.

Police said more charges are possible, and federal agents said they are eyeing whether Clarett violated federal gun laws that prohibit having a firearm while under indictment.

As a freshman, Clarett scored the winning touchdown in the second overtime of the Fiesta Bowl against Miami to lead Ohio State to the 2002 national championship, the school's first since 1968.

Clarett was suspended for the 2003 season, the year after he led the Buckeyes to a national championship, because he was charged with falsifying a police report.

He dropped out of school, then sued unsuccessfully to be included in the 2004 NFL draft. He was a surprise third-round pick in the 2005 draft but was cut by the Denver Broncos during the preseason.

He plans to play for the Mahoning Valley Hitmen, one of five teams in the Eastern Indoor Football League. The team, based in Youngstown, is to begin play in January.
PatsWin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #99
NaptownChief
Donkeys Nightmare

Football Pimp

If Bobby Turner vouches for him will they take that instead of the $5million bond?
NaptownChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #100
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I wouldn't put Clarett in with Carter, Turf Tit and IHOP. Clarett's just a flier draft pick. Bell the Younger, and it's even.

I understood the Carter thing. Going for the three-peat. If Carter plays man as he was capable of doing, Robinson's blitzes are even better. As I recall Robinson still put him in zone most of the time, but that's another story. Going for a three-peat, I can see the gamble was worth it.

Turf Tit didn't have much cap hit, as I recall, but maybe i'm wrong. I know Lett had little cap hit, and he played ok ... for an idiot with one knee.

The IHOP signing ... I was pissed.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote