The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #51
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

We could look at this a different way. Maybe he wasn't going to go on a Grand Theft Auto shooting spree. Maybe somebody was out to get him. I'm pretty sure he's stepped on a number of toes, and he's probably been dealing with some shady people. Doesn't excuse him, but I just throwing that out there.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #52
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution
I think you misinterpreted what i was saying but oh well. What will your insults against Clarett do now? Make you feel better? The man has fallen so low its just sad. Justice catches up with everyone eventually. I can't believe people go and do stupid things like Clarett did and not expect a backlash. I personally think it is a cry for attention, and the man needs phsycological help.

I didn't insult the POS, I think it is OK to kick a 3 time loser though. He had his 2nd chance. If I ever did anything stupid I hope I get a second chance that offered to pay me millions.

I can see your point but 3 strikes is a lot. It is hard to hug a guy holding an AK-47. He has to want to change his way of life. When he does then people should stop kicking him. To forgive this last incident is TOO Freaking much. Let him rot in jail & let him be the butt of all jokes until he decides to join cons for jesus or something.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #53
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

He was just on his way to try out for the Bungles.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #54
Raiders Rock
Ring of Famer

RaidersKickAss.com

Typical Donkey Scum
Raiders Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #55
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27
Uh...why was this numbskull not rotting behind bars instead of roaming the land free and easy with a bell tower kit in his car?

Bail bond...what a great system.
Might have something to do with that whole "innocent until proven guilty" clause of our judicial system.

Yeah, ****ty part of our system that is [/sarcasm]
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #56
NYBronc
Ring of Famer

pka young wu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Rock
Typical Donkey Scum
Coming from a fan of the team who employed Barret Robbins

stay tuned for the coming "i don't talk to n00bs" whine.

Last edited by NYBronc; 08-09-2006 at 03:07 PM..
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #57
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

In all seriousness, I feel sorry for Clarett. He was just woefully unprepared for all the early success. And you have to figure that everyone around him up until the time he was about 20 basically just told him what he wanted to hear, so he had no concept of right and wrong. Then he just made a few bad decisions, which snowballed into more bad decisions, and now he is looking at spending a good deal of time in prison. Just a sad, sad story.

The one positive about this is that he was stopped from doing whatever it was he was on his way to do. As bad as things will get for him for the next while, at least he won't end up with a needle in his arm over it.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #58
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
Jim Brown is so classy, he threw one woman out of a second floor window and served time in jail for beating another woman.

He didn't throw a woman out a window. The woman that fell out of the window said he didn't throw her out. I saw it two says ago on HBO

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 08-09-2006 at 04:08 PM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #59
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I don't feel sorry for him. He knows right from wrong. Have a good time in jail...convict.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #60
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco
He didn't throw a woman out a window. He the woman that fell out of the window siad he didn't throw her out. I saw it two says ago on HBO
Yeah, and that was water Maurice was drinking in the weight room.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #61
NYBronc
Ring of Famer

pka young wu

Team Reacts to News About Clarett

Broncos players reached out to Maurice Clarett when he was with the team, Head Coach Mike Shanahan said, but Clarett didn't reach back.
By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- At this time last summer, Maurice Clarett was in the midst of an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to make the Broncos roster.

Wednesday morning, as the Broncos rolled onward in this year's training camp, Clarett found himself in an Ohio jail, arrested on charges of carrying a concealed weapon following an overnight car chase.

Two time zones away, the status of the one-time Bronco was a topic of discussion among players as they went through the work of their 12th day of this year's training camp.

"If that did happen, it's very unfortunate," wide receiver Rod Smith said. "Hopefully it hasn't gotten to that point where he feels he has to go out and try to hurt somebody. I don't know. It's sad, but I'm sure it's (more sad) for his family, because he made the decision to do it."

"He's got some heavy issues," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said following the morning practice. "It's just a shame that this has happened to a guy that (had) so much promise and so much ability. I'm not sure what happened to him, but it's a real shame."

Clarett's four-month tenure in Denver was defined by a nagging injury in training camp, his inability to take part in even one snap during the preseason games and his unwillingness to reach back when his new teammates offered warm, welcoming hands and counsel to the former Ohio State tailback.

"We tried to reach him quite a bit when he was here," Shanahan said. "One thing he did have here was a lot of support from our veterans, and our players tried to really take care of this guy and he wanted no part of it, and that was one of the reasons why he didn't make our football team.

"I don't think I've ever been around a bunch of guys (who) reached out to a guy more than Maurice, trying to help him, and (having) a guy not wanting that help."

Similar sentiments were offered in January after Clarett turned himself in on an unrelated charge, also in Columbus.

"It's hard to build a relationship when you're not on the field or really not sociable in this locker room. It's hard not to be, but that's how he was, but that was that," linebacker Keith Burns said in January.

Wednesday's news disappointed many Broncos, including safety Nick Ferguson.

"I was one of the one guys who really had somewhat of a decent relationship with him and talked to him on a consistent basis. The first time he left camp I was asked to kind of use that relationship to find out what was going on. But it just seems like the young man is troubled."

Added Shanahan: "As we all know, everybody's got issues. You try to help people through those issues, except that he was one of the few players that we've had that really didn't want to be helped."
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #62
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Yeah, and that was water Maurice was drinking in the weight room.

Well...you need to take that up with the woman. She straight up said that he didn't do what you just accused him of doing. Sorry dude.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #63
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I don't feel sorry for him. He knows right from wrong. Have a good time in jail...convict.
I can understand that sentiment. I think I am just more developed than you, from a perspective of compassion.

Seriously, I can understand that sentiment. But I don't think any of us can relate to the circumstances. The kid was a god during his teens - a stud in high school and college. I remember reading a cover story about him in ESPN Magazine when he was at Ohio State. I had a business associate that was a big Ohio State fan, and I remember saying to him, "Man, that guy is football Jesus!"

It seems like when someone told him something critical of him, he just stopped listening to that person. I think a lot of kids would do that in that situation. Kids don't like to hear about cause and effect - they want to do whatever they want. The stakes just happened to be higher when Clarett started experiencing, first-hand, cause and effect in his life, and he just got lost. That's not to say he isn't culpable of his current situation. But I think there are some mitigating circumstances that at least make him worthy of some compassion.

Of course, said compassion and a couple bucks will buy him a pack of cigarettes when he is in prison.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #64
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Well...you need to take that up with the woman. She straight up said that he didn't do what you just accused him of doing. Sorry dude.
You can take it up with the LAPD because he was arrested and booked for it. I'll take their word over a 22 year old woman who was in fear of her life if she pressed charges.

Jim Brown - woman beater.

Quote:
But for all of Brown's good deeds and athletic prowess, there has been a dark side to him, too. He was frequently accused of violent crimes, primarily toward women, and though he was not found guilty, they have hurt his image.

An 18-year-old accused Brown of forcing her to have sex after giving her whisky, but a jury found him innocent of assault and battery in the 10-day trial in 1965. He was accused of throwing a model from a balcony in 1968, but when the 22-year-old woman refused to name Brown as her assailant, the charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped.

He was acquitted of assaulting a man after a traffic accident in 1969. He was fined $500 and spent a day in jail after beating up a golfing partner. He was charged with rape, sexual battery and assault in 1985, but the charges were dropped when the 33-year-old woman gave inconsistent testimony. The next year he was arrested for allegedly beating his fiancée after accusing her of flirting. He spent three hours in jail, but three days later the 21-year-old woman said she didn't want to prosecute.

In 1999, Brown was convicted in Los Angeles of smashing the window of his 25-year-old wife Monique's car, but was acquitted of making terrorist threats against her. The judge sentenced him to three years' probation, stripped him of his driver's license for a year, and ordered him to attend special counseling for domestic batterers.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #65
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Sounds like they tried to reach out and he shunned everyone. I wonder where in the hell he thought he was going. I'm speculating, but it sounds like meth/coke pychosis/delusion.

You don't arm yourself like that and put on a vest if you planned on making it back. I don't know if he planned on doint a Texas Tower at OSU or rob a band or what. I'm just glad noone was killed.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #66
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Rock
Typical Donkey Scum
Keep it up and I'll have you outnumbered by Bronco fans on your own website by the end of the week.

Last edited by Florida_Bronco; 08-09-2006 at 04:41 PM..
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #67
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
You can take it up with the LAPD because he was arrested and booked for it. I'll take their word over a 22 year old woman who was in fear of her life if she pressed charges.

Jim Brown - woman beater.

So your beacon of crediabilty is the LAPD...I think we're done here. And that wasn't the same incident. He did smash the windows...he didn't beat the woman...she also said so.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #68
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So your beacon of crediabilty is the LAPD...I think we're done here.
Yea. I stopped trusting the LAPD after Rodney King.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #69
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual
I can understand that sentiment. I think I am just more developed than you, from a perspective of compassion.

Seriously, I can understand that sentiment. But I don't think any of us can relate to the circumstances. The kid was a god during his teens - a stud in high school and college. I remember reading a cover story about him in ESPN Magazine when he was at Ohio State. I had a business associate that was a big Ohio State fan, and I remember saying to him, "Man, that guy is football Jesus!"

It seems like when someone told him something critical of him, he just stopped listening to that person. I think a lot of kids would do that in that situation. Kids don't like to hear about cause and effect - they want to do whatever they want. The stakes just happened to be higher when Clarett started experiencing, first-hand, cause and effect in his life, and he just got lost. That's not to say he isn't culpable of his current situation. But I think there are some mitigating circumstances that at least make him worthy of some compassion.

Of course, said compassion and a couple bucks will buy him a pack of cigarettes when he is in prison.
He was a known criminal before he left OSU. He's had every opportunity most will never get in their respective professions. Feel compassion for him all you want, but he's done this to himself and has no one else to blame.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #70
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
So your beacon of crediabilty is the LAPD...I think we're done here. And that wasn't the same incident. He did smash the windows...he didn't beat the woman...she also said so.
So all 23 women that "fell" out of second story windows that were alone in the room with jim brown when it happened said brown did not do it?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #71
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Good Article about the Clarett's mindset

http://blacksportsonline.com/exclusives/00000027.html

Home » Archives » August 2006 » I Knew Maurice Clarett..A BlackSportsOnline Exclusive

[Previous entry: "2006 NFL Preseason Version of 21 Questions (Well maybe a few more) – The AFC Edition"]
08/09/2006: "I Knew Maurice Clarett..A BlackSportsOnline Exclusive"

mo1 (99k image)

I Knew Maurice Clarett..A BlackSportsOnline Exclusive
Written Robert Littal
Email Robert Littal

I knew Maurice Clarett, not knew him like we played Madden every weekend and went to the strip club afterwards, but I know him well enough that if I walked into the jail cell he is in right now, he would recognize me. By now you already know what happen today, the guns, the vodka, the bulletproof vest, the taser and the mace. You have probably seen the video and wondered how someone that seemed to have the world in his hands, has fallen so far, so hard and so quickly. Let me provide you with some answers.

CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE TO READ ROBERT LITTAL'S EXCLUSIVE INSIGHT INTO MAURICE CLARETT

To understand how this all started we have to go back to 2001, when I was still a junior at The Ohio State University and a year before Clarett would make his arrival on campus. If you have never lived in Ohio, you cannot understand the passion that these people have for sports and specifically for Ohio State. It is like a religion to them, something that has to be experienced and cannot be expressed in words.

That is the year when people started to hear about the two messiahs of high school athletics Maurice Clarett and Lebron James. Knowing what you know now, you would assume that Lebron was a lot bigger than Clarett, but that wasn’t the case. In fact Clarett in the state of Ohio was far more popular than Lebron at that time. As a high school senior he was already being thought of as the next Archie Griffin. I remember a specific incident when I was in a club in Columbus and a then 17 year Clarett enter the club (a 21 and over club at that) and the music stop and the DJ announced the arrival of:

“THE MAN WHO IS GOING TO LEAD OHIO STATE TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP”.

At 17 years old Clarett was already receiving special treatment. You name it he was provided it, money, cars, women, etc etc. This isn’t unusual for gifted youngsters, but if you were around Clarett like I was from time to time you could see that it was having an effect on him and not in a positive way. He felt entitled, he felt untouchable and he started to believe his own hype. When he finally stepped on the practice field at OSU he snapped at coaches and upperclassmen and no one did anything because he was the savior, as the DJ said he was going to lead the Buckeyes to the National Championship.

I can pinpoint when I knew that things were going to turn out bad for Clarett. It was the day that Lebron James appeared on ESPN for a High School basketball game. That national exposure leapfrogged Lebron over Clarett. You want to know why Clarett wanted to enter the NFL so bad, it was because he wanted to get the shine and love that Lebron was getting.

No one ever told Clarett no to anything and that includes Ohio State coach Jim Tressel. The year that the Buckeyes won the Championship Clarett had so many indiscretions that even those who follow the Buckeye program and know how dirty it is was amazed at the things that he was getting away with. Total insubornation on so many levels against coaching staff and the administration, if he was any other player he would have been kicked off the team and out of the University. He was never disciplined and if anything he was coddled to the point that his belief that he was untouchable only grew greater.

Believe me when I tell you Clarett could have been a great running back. Forget what you saw at the NFL combine, but go back to his freshman year at OSU and what you saw was a powerful back with great hands that never went down on initial contact and had great vision. Once again his problem though was his sense of entitlement because even going back to high school he had a “lazy” label. He never felt like he had to prove anything and he never had the desire to get better, he just assume because he was Maurice Clarett and everyone told him he was great that he was. No matter what you think of Clarett now, the one fact that no one can take away from him is that he was the reason that Ohio State won the national championship. They don’t sniff the championship without him during the season and they lose the game against Miami if he doesn’t strip Sean Taylor after Taylor intercepts a pass.

The worst thing that ever happened to Clarett was winning that National Championship because as soon as he held the trophy Ohio State had maxed out their use for him. Ohio State was the pimp and Clarett was the prostitute and once the prostitute had given them what they wanted, they felt no need to protect him anymore.

This was a shocking revelation to Clarett that when the NCAA started sniffing around that the school put the blame on him, for so long he always had someone taken bullets for him that when it came time to defend himself he didn’t know how. After the National Championship he was an afterthought, he had done his job and people had moved on. Instead of this being a reality check for Clarett it actually made things worst since he surrounded himself with people that were “yes-men” who were only interested in seeing how much money they could get off of him.

When he challenged the NFL Draft Rules I was a big supporter of his, but not because I thought it was good for him, but because I didn’t think it was a good rule. I hoped that he would humble himself go to a D-1AA school grow up and learn that everything in life isn’t handed to you on a silver platter.

It didn’t happen that way though, after being shot down by the courts, Clarett had one last opportunity when he selected in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos. At the press conference he was all smiles, telling the media he would do anything even special teams to make the team. At the time I was extremely happy for him even though the majority of the problems he put on himself, he did get jerked around by Ohio State and I thought this would be a great opportunity on a team that is great for a running back, but in retrospect I should have known it was going to turn out bad.

The reason why is simply, since I first heard his name uttered 5 years ago he has felt like he was entitled to be great and what happen in the draft only reinforced what had been his problem for so long. Even though he had been a screw up in high school, a screw up in college, a screw up in the legal system, a screw up with the media, a screw up with the police and a screw up in the NFL Draft process (quitting at the combine after running a slow 40 time) he still got drafted in the first day of the NFL Draft.

Of course he was destine to fail with the Broncos because no lesson had ever been learn, but a pattern had been set. After things didn’t go his way and he wasn’t anointed the starter on the first day, he reverted back to the same Clarett I have known since he was in high school. To show his arrogance or stupidity depending on how you look at, he arrogantly asked for his release for a better opportunity. Of course he thought he was going to get a better opportunity because his whole life no matter how much he screwed up his constantly kept getting opportunities, then something happen to Clarett that never happened before.

NO ONE CALLED

For the first time in his life no one was there to give him that next opportunity, no one was there to tell him how was great he was and no one was there to hold his hand and tell him everything was going to be alright.

I want you to think about this for your minute, for your whole life you have been told that you were the “gifted” one and then one day you wake up and realize you are just like everyone else. You are not special, you are not entitled and you have to work hard just to live a day by day. Imagine what that can do to someone who is not that emotionally stable to begin with.

It is so ironic that he and Lebron have such similar backgrounds growing up and both receive the same adulation as youngsters only to turn out so different. It is shocking how one could turn out so great while the other could turn out so wrong. I am not big into religion, but I am going to pray for Maurice because whatever demons he is dealing with it I hope he is able to exercise them.

Hopefully this gives you some insight into how someone like Clarett can fall so hard, so fast. No one knows what Clarett was intending to do with those guns this morning, but let me tell you that I am glad the police got to him when they did because if they didn’t this story would have had an even more tragic ending.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #72
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Early reports suggest that Clarett intended to use a witness list obtained by his lawyers to track down and threaten or eliminate witnesses involved in his ongoing robbery charges.

he was picked up within miles of witnesses house
this guys nutzo...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #73
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec
Might have something to do with that whole "innocent until proven guilty" clause of our judicial system.

Yeah, ****ty part of our system that is [/sarcasm]
Uh-Huh...is there something in that concept that precludes keeping some of these idiots under lock and key till they get their day in court? Especially the crazy ones that commit felonies with guns?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #74
shakenbake
Texas Homer

Default More on Clarett

This probably doesn't deserve its own new thread but it is a real interesting read on Clarett.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2545078
Clarett's call came two hours before arrest
By Tom Friend
ESPN The Magazine

On possibly his last night as a free man, Maurice Clarett was calling on the telephone. I hadn't seen him or heard from him in a year, not since the Denver Broncos kicked him to the curb, but I was on his list Tuesday night. Along with Jim Tressel and LeBron James and some arena football coach. His list of thank-yous.

I looked at the clock when he called, and it was just past 11 p.m. ET. He told me he was driving somewhere, and along the way his cell phone cut in and out. He wasn't loud or belligerent. Instead he seemed melancholy and possibly drunk.

Clarett was arrested near the home of a witness set to testify against him in a separate robbery case, the Franklin County prosecutor said.
He started in with his news: He was a daddy. His girlfriend, Ashley, had given birth to a baby girl on July 17 and he claimed it had changed his life. "F--- Ohio State, f--- winning the national championship, it's more cool having her,'' he was saying. He said he'd cry a lot when he held her, and that just the other day in his mom's house, he'd cried four times holding her the same afternoon. He said he'd do anything for that little girl, that he'd go to jail for 30 years for this little girl. It wasn't clear what he meant, although it's starting to get clearer now.

I asked him how he was, and he said he was growing up, taking responsibility for what he'd done. He admitted "money used to be everything'' to him and he said, "Look how cocky I used to be. Life lessons have put me on my ass.'' I'd heard this sort of rhetoric before, from almost every troubled athlete I'd ever interviewed, but then he got me. He got me when he said he wanted to dump his whole story on me, when he said "I haven't done s---. I have done nothing but f------ run a football. Don't confuse yourself. I've done nothing but run a f------ football. Don't try to make it bigger than it is.''

He started in then with his thank-yous. I had written a column in ESPN The Magazine last January, after his initial arrest on burglary charges, outlining his potential drinking problem, steroid problem and self-esteem problem. He said he'd hated that story, that he'd hated me, but he was calling now to thank me, for waking him up to reality. He said he'd been calling a lot of people that day, that he'd called Tressel -- the same coach he'd once accused of giving him cars and grades -- and thanked him, too.

Tressel had reached out to Clarett months before, having asked Buckeyes QB Troy Smith for Clarett's cell phone number. They had talked, and Tressel had offered to do all he could for him, and now -- late Tuesday night -- Clarett was saying, "Me and [Tressel] have become cool again. I was talking to Jim Tressel earlier, and said, 'Thank you for being real.' He's been real to me, and I've been real to myself. I don't run from nothing anymore.''

He said he'd also called his old high school buddy LeBron James that day -- who knows if it's true, considering LeBron's playing ball overseas -- and that there were more calls to make. It was almost midnight ET by then, but now Clarett was starting to ramble, starting to sound a little skittish, a little paranoid.

He wondered if someone was overhearing the conversation, if someone might be listening. Was he being followed?

Who knew Clarett had an assault rifle with him the whole time? Or a 9mm gun between his legs? Or that he had a hatchet? Who knew the next morning I'd wake up and hear he was under custody on alleged weapons charges, that he'd been Maced and tasered, that he'd been wearing a bulletproof vest, that he'd probably been wearing it as we spoke?

His lawyer Mike Hoague came out Wednesday and said that Clarett has recently received death threats, verbal and written, and, suddenly, his pattern of behavior all seemed to make more sense. The people who know him say he's been alternately strong and unstable recently, that the stress of his court case and his baby girl and his uncertain future have him all over the emotional map.

Does someone really want to hurt him? Is someone bugging his phone? Or is he just delusional? Whichever, you've got to go back to last year, to the mess of Los Angeles.

After Ohio State booted him out of school, he went to L.A., where he befriended members of the rap community, manager types. They liked Clarett; he had an easy giggle, and a face they'd seen in the Fiesta Bowl end zone. He was their ticket to the world of sports, and they were his ticket to a lush lifestyle. Hell, he was broke, and they were driving BMWs and living in beachfront property. This was right up Clarett's alley.

He was one of these kids who'd always looked for shortcuts. His mom, Michelle, had worked long hours at a Youngstown Sears, just to support her family, but he found out early that football brought him all the love and cash he could handle. A caterer named Bobby Dellimuti provided a car, and other amenities, and soon, according to Clarett, Ohio State coaches and boosters had done the same. Clarett wasn't too proud to have his hand out. It's who he was.

But, in L.A., it was the last thing he needed. He was spotted driving a 745 BMW and living in a mansion, when he should've been training for the NFL. The people in the rap world were sponsoring him, figuring he'd bring them back millions after he went in the first round, but what did they know? Did they know his 40 time?

The first trainer they hooked him up with, in the fall of 2004, was Chad Ikei, out of Arizona. Clarett was 256 pounds by then. A two-hundred-and-fifty-six-pound tailback! And he had the most peculiar work habits. He wanted Ikei to clear the gym out before he worked out. He wanted no one watching him, no one judging him. His insecurity was mind-boggling.
shakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #75
shakenbake
Texas Homer

I'm usally not one to be critical of Shanny and the Front Office, but how could they not know about this guy. If a reporter can find out about his work ethic, quiting on trainers when pushed, and the crowd he was hanging out with why didn't they ?

That said it sounds like things are pretty messed up in his life. I think someone in the other thread said that i could be somebody is after him to collect on his un paid debt.
shakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote