The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #51
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Gotta love that draft class of 2003

Don't forget Hinrich...give the white boy some love.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #52
denver5459
Solid Starter

I think Coach K has got this team on a mission. He is to good of a coach. He will not let team USA "choke" (ala Larry Brown).
denver5459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #53
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I'm loving Team USA. And yeah, it's only a matter of time before I get a #15 USA jersey.

Melo is playing like a stud, had a great first quarter. The only thing I didn't like was that in the first quarter he totally missed a defensive rotation. He needs to keep working on that.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #54
defenseman
Ring of Famer

2007 record pred. (7-9)

NO, I'm not excited...dman
defenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #55
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Watching how this team is reacting to Coach K just makes me that much happier that he didn't sign with the Lakers a few years ago.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #56
ro_50
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU
I'm loving Team USA. And yeah, it's only a matter of time before I get a #15 USA jersey.

Melo is playing like a stud, had a great first quarter. The only thing I didn't like was that in the first quarter he totally missed a defensive rotation. He needs to keep working on that.

I love the way they played last night and I love how Coach K is going to rotate all 12 guys on the team and not stick to an anemic 8-man rotation like Larry Brown did.

They picked up the pace defensively in the second quarter and it was over after that.

I think this is the way Team USA should play, full-court pressing at the right times and using their bench to their advantage.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #57
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Anthony injured his knee in win over Brazil.....dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc200...ory?id=2543157
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #58
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7
Name one player that cares that they are playing for the US and isn't there just to add another trophy to their case.
Hinrich and Arenas for sure.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #59
freak6
Ring of Famer

Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK

That would be the nuggets luck...at least its not serious.
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:26 AM   #60
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin
Anthony injured his knee in win over Brazil.....dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc200...ory?id=2543157
This is no good.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #61
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak15
That would be the nuggets luck...at least its not serious.
Yeah, they just modified the article to say it wasn't serious....phew.

What impresses me though is the game he was having before he got injured. I hope he gets named captain; Krzyiwzeuiewskkki seems to have taken a liking to him.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #62
DrFate
Lord of Order

After watching the China game, I'm afraid this team isn't going to win the gold. I am a Duke fan, so I think K is the right man for the job. But this team, just like the last 2, doesn't have enough shooters. You can't have Wade and Brown heaving up 3s. Arenas barely hits the room.

I think they should drop Arenas and Joe Johnson and add Redick and Michael Redd. You HAVE to have a couple of jump shooters in international ball.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #63
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate
After watching the China game, I'm afraid this team isn't going to win the gold. I am a Duke fan, so I think K is the right man for the job. But this team, just like the last 2, doesn't have enough shooters. You can't have Wade and Brown heaving up 3s. Arenas barely hits the room.

I think they should drop Arenas and Joe Johnson and add Redick and Michael Redd. You HAVE to have a couple of jump shooters in international ball.
I agree to an extent. I would still like to have seen a Michael Redd on this team.

But, to their credit, this full court pressure defense is good, and when the olympics roll around, they will have Kobe Bryant, who this summer is rehabbing from surgery, but will be on the team next summer.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #64
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate

I think Redd turned it down; not sure. If he didn't it's assinine for him not to be on the team.

A lot of the best American shooters (Ray Allen turned it down, Kobe is nursing a knee) aren't there.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #65
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Guys how's Chris Bosh doing? I'm so proud he's a starter because this kid is a superstar and has one of the best work ethic in the NBA.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #66
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson
Guys how's Chris Bosh doing? I'm so proud he's a starter because this kid is a superstar and has one of the best work ethic in the NBA.
The one game I've seen (against PR) he didn't do all that well, but the guy can play some ball so I'm sure he'll be right there helping the team in the WBC's.

If he could get out of Toronto, a lot more people would love this guy.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #67
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

So, an interesting topic has been brought up on 950 the fan with alfred and scott...

Everything has been good and fun with the USA BBall. But now with Melo getting hurt, issues are raised.

It's easy for guys to say "oh nba players don't care" blah blah blah like they have in this thread. But what happens if somebody got hurt seriously?

I mean think about this. What if Carmelo was never the same? What if Champ Bailey blew out his knee in a Pro Bowl and was never the same? Same goes for baseball and hockey.

I mean, I think you have to play for your country if you are invited, but there are risks, and it's not just as easy as getting another trophy.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #68
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Well, I saw the AP thing on Melo's injury right after it went down, and it was very vague about the whole thing. Needless to say, I was definitely fearing the worst.

And I got to thinking; if he went down with like an ACL tear or something, you would never, ever see the likes of Lebron, Wade, Kobe etc. in the Olympics again. Owners would start puting it in these guys' contracts that they couldn't compete in international basketball....any why shouldn't they? You've got to protect your investments.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #69
Namy
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Melo should not play against Lithuania. It's important to rest and prevent risks. Maybe play against Korea to condition himself and prepare mentally and physically for the championship. Melo is looking really really good. Could be a top 3 scorer next year. I do not want to see him get hurt again (especially involving his knee). Next season will be Carmelo's redemption year if he can stay healthy. With his performance, there is no way he does not make the all star team and will put himself at par with Wade and Bron again, altho talent wise he was always up there with them.

When I first saw the news report of his injury, my heart sank. I am very glad he is ok. I hope the hyperextension doesn't affect his performance later on tho. He has been the stud of the team.
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #70
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

USA kicks the crap out of the South Koreans. I'm starting to think this is the second best team ever assembled.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc200...ory?id=2549894
Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 AM   #71
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I'm not going to bother posting a link, but per ESPN's bottom line, Bruce Bowen was the one cut before the WBC games.

I'm mixed on that... If you consider all basketball skills, Bowen is probably the worst player on the team... But man, his defense alone makes him valuable, so I don't know what to think... We'll see I suppose. WBC's start Monday, I believe!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:45 AM   #72
sbchampbronx
Tanzanian Devil

whack em and stack em

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
If you consider all basketball skills, Bowen is probably the worst player on the team...
um..Thats exactly why he got cut...
sbchampbronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #73
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchampbronx
um..Thats exactly why he got cut...
Very true, but the issue is, his defensive skills are the best on the squad, IMO... And that is one of those things that could possible trump other skills. Top to bottom, he may be the worst player in the bunch... But the one thing he's good at, defense, could be a huge asset. We shall see.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:01 AM   #74
sbchampbronx
Tanzanian Devil

whack em and stack em

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the thing about him being such a great defender tho, is that if everyone else isn't as active on defense, it makes him irrelavent because the other team will just pass the ball away from him...IMO his offense is way too much of a liability especially in the interantional game.
sbchampbronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #75
Namy
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Very true, but the issue is, his defensive skills are the best on the squad, IMO... And that is one of those things that could possible trump other skills. Top to bottom, he may be the worst player in the bunch... But the one thing he's good at, defense, could be a huge asset. We shall see.
I disagree. I think Bowen's defense is overrated. Everyone knows he cheats on defense with his little shoves, etc... however, he receives the benefit of the no calls from the refs b/c... he plays for the Spurs and he is widely known for being the best defensive player in the NBA... therefore, the refs subconsciously ignore his subtle defensive ways...

In the international game, he does not have such luxury... he is not on a team that is geared defensively (altho they're improving upon it), nor is he known by anyone on an international level meaning refs won't stand for some of his defensive tricks. Anyway, he still is a great defender, don't get me wrong. But 4 pts in like 5 exhibition games? That's flat out horrible.
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote